The Snowshoed Sibelius

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

No more scantily clad...anybody. Sibelius is kicking up the snow again. :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

North Star

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on June 03, 2015, 03:48:51 PM
No more scantily clad...anybody. Sibelius is kicking up the snow again. :)
Well, Aino is still scantily clad, of course  8)

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Ken B

Now we are all picturing him in nothing but snowshoes.

That's not an avatar suggestion John!

Mirror Image

???

Oh dear...let's get back to the music guys.  ::)

vandermolen

I did find a cheapish second hand copy of Vanska's recording of symphony 6, 7 and Tapiola. Am greatly looking forward to hearing this:
[asin]B00002681Z[/asin]
I think that it is very important for CDs of 'Tapiola' to have cover images of gloomy forests.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

North Star

Quote from: vandermolen on June 03, 2015, 09:45:25 PM
I did find a cheapish second hand copy of Vanska's recording of symphony 6, 7 and Tapiola. Am greatly looking forward to hearing this.
It's certainly an excellent recording of all three. Listened to it last night actually.  8)

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: North Star on June 03, 2015, 09:48:02 PM
It's certainly an excellent recording of all three. Listened to it last night actually.  8)
Great to hear - thanks. Have posted the cover image above.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

North Star

I did find a cheapish second hand copy of Vanska's recording of symphony 6, 7 and Tapiola. Am greatly looking forward to hearing this:

I think that it is very important for CDs of 'Tapiola' to have cover images of gloomy forests.  :)
Quote from: vandermolen on June 03, 2015, 09:50:12 PM
Great to hear - thanks. Have posted the cover image above.
Well that image isn't gloomy at all to me. Reminds me more of the blinding, shimmering light Sir Colin Davis talked about in the interview I posted yesterday here, and suits the Sixth Symphony more in my opinion than the dark sound world of Tapiola. The only downside of that single disc is - I don't know how much of other Vänskä & Lahti Sibelius recordings you had already, but you will want them all. 8)

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: North Star on June 03, 2015, 09:58:27 PM
Well that image isn't gloomy at all to me. Reminds me more of the blinding, shimmering light Sir Colin Davis talked about in the interview I posted yesterday here, and suits the Sixth Symphony more in my opinion than the dark sound world of Tapiola. The only downside of that single disc is - I don't know how much of other Vänskä & Lahti Sibelius recordings you had already, but you will want them all. 8)
Yes, I now see what you mean about the image!
I have been listening to Vanska's complete Tempest music which is wonderful. I have gradually been picking up second hand copies of his cycle and recently found symphonies 2 and 3 (another great cover image):
[asin]B0000266EW[/asin]

A friend also kindly bought me a box set of lesser-known works too. I have the original version of Symphony 5 and the final version and very recently the original and final version of the Violin Concerto - these performances, especially of the original version of the VC made me appreciate these works properly for the first time.

North Star

Quote from: vandermolen on June 03, 2015, 10:10:18 PM
Yes, I now see what you mean about the image!
I have been listening to Vanska's complete Tempest music which is wonderful. I have gradually been picking up second hand copies of his cycle and recently found symphonies 2 and 3 (another great cover image):

A friend also kindly bought me a box set of lesser-known works too. I have the original version of Symphony 5 and the final version and very recently the original and final version of the Violin Concerto - these performances, especially of the original version of the VC made me appreciate these works properly for the first time.
That is indeed a lovely cover image. The Kavakos disc with both versions of the VC is wonderful. I have heard the original version of Symphony no. 5 but don't really remember much of it apart from the impression that the revision is a huge improvement.

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: North Star on June 03, 2015, 10:24:55 PM
That is indeed a lovely cover image. The Kavakos disc with both versions of the VC is wonderful. I have heard the original version of Symphony no. 5 but don't really remember much of it apart from the impression that the revision is a huge improvement.
Yes, it was the original, somewhat darker version, of the Violin Concerto that I preferred. Like the original version of Vaughan Williams's 'A London Symphony' which I prefer to the final revision of the work.

Jaakko Keskinen

Forgive my ignorance (I am no expert in musical forms), but are there any symphony movements by Sibelius that could be defined as a variation form? I know Sibelius has that student years composition for solo cello but are there any to be found in his mature masterpieces? I am especially fond of variations and thus I would like to know if Sibelius had any skill in this.

Hell, I'm so green I have hard time explaining the difference between development and variation.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alberich on June 04, 2015, 06:05:36 AM
Hell, I'm so green I have hard time explaining the difference between development and variation.

No, that is no deficiency on your part.  The classic distinction only works for back when variations plainly retained the phrase structure and harmonic underpinnings of the theme being varied;  over time, as the idea of varying a theme grew freer, the "border" between development and variations got rather blurry.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Of all the composers to ask such a question about... debates can rage about just what form Sibelius was using sometimes.

Nevertheless, a quick google confirmed that the 2nd movement of Symphony No.5 has been labelled as variation form, if only on Wikipedia...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jaakko Keskinen

I've read Tawastierna considered the possibility of the middle movement of symphony 3 being a variations of a theme, but ultimately, the theme really stays the same all the time.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Brian

Quote from: Alberich on June 04, 2015, 06:05:36 AM
Forgive my ignorance (I am no expert in musical forms), but are there any symphony movements by Sibelius that could be defined as a variation form?
Personally I would categorize the second movements of Symphonies 3, 5, and 6 as variations. (6/ii might be the least "literal," that is, the theme changes the most.) The finale of 6 also has a short variation section.

Part of the hybrid form of the first movement of No. 5 is that every single passing moment is a variation on the first four notes, that upward soaring French horn call. This is too short to be a conventional "theme", but nevertheless, as you listen, it is presented in different ways almost every second.

Sibelius' genius is that he invented whole new movement forms, which are similar to theme-and-variations but not quite. The first movement of No. 5 is one such totally unique invention; the slow movement of No. 4 is another. That's not a T&V, but it does behave like one.

Mirror Image

[asin]B00002681Z[/asin]

That's an excellent recording. I still maintain that Vanska's 6th was my 'breakthrough' with the symphony. A lighter feel and not so heavy-handed is the way this symphony should be performed IMHO. Also, those are awesome performances of Tapiola and Symphony No. 7. Do you own the whole symphony series from Vanska yet, Jeffrey?

North Star

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2015, 06:47:48 AM
That's an excellent recording. I still maintain that Vanska's 6th was my 'breakthrough' with the symphony. A lighter feel and not so heavy-handed is the way this symphony should be performed IMHO. Also, those are awesome performances of Tapiola and Symphony No. 7. Do you own the whole symphony series from Vanska yet, Jeffrey?
Read the rest of the conversation, John8)

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on June 04, 2015, 06:58:29 AM
Read the rest of the conversation, John8)

Okay, I see he owns Symphonies 2, 3, 5 (Original Version), 6, and 7. I still would like hear what exactly he owns, though as I'm unclear if he just owns Symphony No. 5 in the original version and if also owns the revised version?