The Snowshoed Sibelius

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 08, 2015, 04:22:58 PM
Ken, your whole approach of "it's okay to say what you want to about a composer at any given time" is growing rather tiresome. We all understand you don't like this composer's music or Debussy's La Mer. There's no need to beat a dead horse. The crazy thing is you somehow think it's funny what you're saying about these composer's whose music you don't like, but, for me, I'm still waiting on the punchline.

I actually agree with Ken. I could see myself criticizing some other composer in a same way 71dB critiziced Sibelius, without seeing nothing wrong with it. I certainly wouldn't call Sibelius a conman but also wouldn't call him a super genius high above criticism. :P
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 08, 2015, 05:46:01 PM
Sure, we can express opinions, but whenever you continuously jab and poke fun at music I enjoy for no apparent reason other than to amuse yourself, then it becomes something more than merely 'expressing an opinion.' Anyway, you believe I've been rude? How so? I think you're unnecessarily rude every time you cut down a composer I enjoy for the umpteenth time, but did I ever tell you to "put a sock in it"? No, I held my tongue with hopes that you would somehow realize that you're only alienating yourself from other people here who would actually like to have a decent conversation with you.

Umm, what about that time you ridiculed my opinion about John Williams being a genius? Isn't that poking fun about music I enjoy?  ;)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alberich on October 09, 2015, 12:59:52 AM
. . . I certainly wouldn't call Sibelius a conman but also wouldn't call him a super genius high above criticism. :P

Well, that's an improvement, certainly  ;)

And, folks:  what is it that happens at the start of the Sixth Symphony, if not two-voice counterpoint?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alberich on October 09, 2015, 01:03:45 AM
Umm, what about that time you ridiculed my opinion about John Williams being a genius? Isn't that poking fun about music I enjoy?  ;)

Hey, I don't feel that Williams is above criticism, either  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: karlhenning on October 09, 2015, 02:14:01 AM
Hey, I don't feel that Williams is above criticism, either  8)

Certainly not! And I have to admit, when you showed how similar Williams's "Dune sea" from Star Wars was to Rite of the spring, that wasn't Williams's finest moment. Hard to think of that as a coincidence.

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alberich on October 09, 2015, 02:21:47 AM
Certainly not! And I have to admit, when you showed how similar Williams's "Dune sea" from Star Wars was to Rite of the spring, that wasn't Williams's finest moment. Hard to think of that as a coincidence.
Spoken like a gentleman!  :)

Williams has certainly written a good number of catchy, characterful melodies; the man has talent.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alberich on October 09, 2015, 01:03:45 AM

That was awhile back and my outlook, especially in regards to formulating and expressing any kind of criticism has changed since then.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alberich on October 09, 2015, 12:59:52 AM
I actually agree with Ken. I could see myself criticizing some other composer in a same way 71dB critiziced Sibelius, without seeing nothing wrong with it. I certainly wouldn't call Sibelius a conman but also wouldn't call him a super genius high above criticism. :P

Well, I wouldn't say Sibelius is 'above criticism' either, but, let's face it, any composer worth their salt is going to face some kind of criticism from someone at some point, but the 'conman' comment certainly was beyond what I'm used to hearing.

Anyway...back to the music. ;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: orfeo on October 08, 2015, 07:16:35 AM
See, I find this a bit mystifying. Because it's the structural ingenuity that draws me in the first place.

Rigid rhythmic structures? I listened to the 3rd symphony last week, and was reminded yet again that the first movement is one of my favourite things by anyone, ever, and a huge part of the reason for that is the amazing way the music starts and stops. To me, Sibelius has more control of tempo than almost any other composer, to the extent that he can create a sense of multiple tempos operating at the same time, with different parts of the music moving at different speeds.

To take another example, the first movement of the 2nd symphony impresses me because of the way the main theme sounds like an introduction. That's not an easy trick at all, to make you believe that there's an introduction, and then you start thinking "when is the main material going to arrive?" and then eventually at some point your brain switches and realises there was no introduction at all, and that he started with a fragmented version of the theme before integrating it (the opposite of what most composers had done, although Beethoven in the Eroica finale did something similar). It's an exercise in presenting the counterpoint lines separately first!

I also really don't understand how the number of instruments playing is relevant. It's actually harder to achieve your musical and structural goals with an economy of means, rather than throwing a whole booming orchestra around. Sibelius is to my mind perhaps the greatest orchestrator, and that's precisely because he uses his colours very carefully and delicately.

Thanks for this post, much to assent to . . . in particular, yes, Sibelius is a marvelously specific orchestrator.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: karlhenning on October 09, 2015, 03:58:40 AMSibelius is a marvelously specific orchestrator.

Agreed. In terms of orchestration I Would say he's at his very Best in symphonies 4 and 6, pohjolas daughter, nightride, luonnotar and oceanides.

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Love the bass clarinet and harp in the Sixth: masterly and subtle!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: 71 dB on October 08, 2015, 08:40:57 AM
"separated counterpoint" is meaningless to me because what happens "now" is relevant to me in music. What happened 20 seconds ago is distant history, mostly forgotten. This may explain Why I don't care for some composers (those who use "temporarily separated structures" extensively). Also, harmony and rhythm are more important for me than melody because I am a mathematical person rather than linguistic.

Well, yes, if your musical experience is that much in the here and now, I wouldn't think Sibelius is for you particularly, nor many of the other composers that I respond to.

You're into vertical music, and I'm into horizontal...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

I don't much understand that objection, either.  There is continuous "now" in Sibelius (even in the symphonies)  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 08, 2015, 05:46:01 PM
Sure, we can express opinions, but whenever you continuously jab and poke fun at music I enjoy for no apparent reason other than to amuse yourself, then it becomes something more than merely 'expressing an opinion.'

I don't want to burst your ego, but my opinions about Sibelius have absolutely nothing to do with you. I have nothing against people enjoying the music of Sibelius. It's cool you do enjoy Sibelius (a composer of my own nationality).

I don't think I have criticized Sibelius "continuously". I'm not having fun either. I'm telling how I feel. I have told how I find some of Sibelius' music less than awesome, but I also have said some of Sibelius' music I do enjoy. I'm not officially calling Sibelius a conman, some of Sibelius' music gives me such associations and I can't help it. I wish I enjoyed Sibelius more, of course. Perhaps some day I will.

Sorry about making you feel bad. I didn't realise my opinions have such power.  :o
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on October 09, 2015, 08:40:55 AM
I don't want to burst your ego, but my opinions about Sibelius have absolutely nothing to do with you.

(You were not addressing me but...) this confirms my thesis.  Carry on, Poju   8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: Alberich on October 09, 2015, 02:21:47 AM

Movie music composers do not need to write 100 % original music. They need to know what to steel. Why? Because Lucas could have used Stravinsky's music on Star Wars. Instead he wanted "Korngoldian" music by John Williams, where some bits are "stolen" from appropriate sources. The goal is not original music, but as good movie music for the movie as possible. I'd say John Williams delivered.

Mirror Image

Who cares about John Williams in the Sibelius thread...

Anyway, here's an idea, let's get back to Sibelius, so no one has heard the two new cycles from Rattle and Kamu?

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 09, 2015, 03:14:24 PM
Who cares about John Williams in the Sibelius thread...

Alberich.

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 09, 2015, 03:14:24 PMAnyway, here's an idea, let's get back to Sibelius,..-

Okay. Yesterday there was a rather interesting program on TV about Sibelius' symphonies, how they evolved and how Sibelius as a person evolved. Hannu Lintu was the commentator. Even if I don't worship every note by Sibelius, I found this program interesting. For example, the fourth symphony was widely rejected as a weird work and people's faith in Sibelius was restored by the fifth symphony. After this program there was another one about how French people have disliked Sibelius, even calling him the worst composer in the world. Crazy.  :P

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on October 09, 2015, 10:24:10 PM
Even if I don't worship every note by Sibelius

What, you don't worship every note by that conman?  And yet others are being rude to you, right?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on October 10, 2015, 04:34:17 AM
What, you don't worship every note by that conman?  And yet others are being rude to you, right?
If you think about it,  praising a composer others dislike carries a stronger implication of criticism of other listeners than does criticizing one.  Most critics couch their complaints about with disclaimers, or say they just miss what is surely there. Praise implies the praiser gets what the other misses.