The Snowshoed Sibelius

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 06, 2016, 06:58:53 AM
I like the earlier Paavo Berglund/Bournemouth SO version on EMI.

I don't believe I've heard this performance, Jeffrey. I do like Berglund's Helsinki remake, though, but it's been years since I've heard it.

knight66

I arrived in Finland last night, usually when I am outside the city I hear Sibelius in my head. Nothing Sibelian about the hotel room in Helsinki; but later I am going east to Imatra then south on the huge lake that borders Russia; so the head music will come.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on July 07, 2016, 03:02:29 AM
Pään musiikki?
'Päämusiikki' perhaps, or better yet, 'päänsisäinen musiikki'.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Thanks for the corrigendum!  I've never really studied Finnish grammar, and whatever Estonian grammar I imperfectly remember cannot really serve  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Pään musiikki is not exactly wrong, it's just not very idiomatic - think how there's table music, not music of the tables - and music of the spheres, not spheres' music.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on July 07, 2016, 03:58:23 AM
Pään musiikki is not exactly wrong, it's just not very idiomatic - think how there's table music, not music of the tables - and music of the spheres, not spheres' music.

I appreciate the clarification, Karlo!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: knight66 on July 06, 2016, 09:56:09 PM
I arrived in Finland last night, usually when I am outside the city I hear Sibelius in my head. Nothing Sibelian about the hotel room in Helsinki; but later I am going east to Imatra then south on the huge lake that borders Russia; so the head music will come.

Mike
The opening of Sibelius's Symphony No.2 came into my head and that of my brother's when we arrived at my Finnish friends lake side summer cottage in 2013.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: vandermolen on July 07, 2016, 10:45:35 PM
The opening of Sibelius's Symphony No.2 came into my head and that of my brother's when we arrived at my Finnish friends lake side summer cottage in 2013.

That made me laugh aloud and recollect an interview for a job in North Carolina I had.  I was doing well enough, I thought, but on a tour of the countryside my prospective boss was giving me he pointed up into the mountains impressed with his own landscape.  I said, "Yes, they remind me a lot of Sibelius' Symphony #2." I had struck a chord and from that point on, I could do no wrong. 
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on August 18, 2016, 07:14:06 AM
That made me laugh aloud and recollect an interview for a job in North Carolina I had.  I was doing well enough, I thought, but on a tour of the countryside my prospective boss was giving me he pointed up into the mountains impressed with his own landscape.  I said, "Yes, they remind me a lot of Sibelius' Symphony #2." I had struck a chord and from that point on, I could do no wrong.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Brian on August 18, 2016, 03:21:54 PM
Read Sibelius: The Worst Composer in the World by Rene Leibowitz!
ha, there is pretty much an entire chapter in 'The Rest is Noise' by Alex Ross which is devoted to Sibelius...Leibowitz and Virgil Thomson are both mentioned.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on August 18, 2016, 03:21:54 PM
Read Sibelius: The Worst Composer in the World by Rene Leibowitz!

::) Certainly I've got better things to do then read a musical nobody like Rene Leibowitz trash one of my favorite composers and a composer who continues to thrive in my heart and mind.

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 18, 2016, 06:57:04 PM
::) Certainly I've got better things to do then read a musical nobody like Rene Leibowitz trash one of my favorite composers and a composer who continues to thrive in my heart and mind.

C'mon, Mirror, join the antibodies who are rushing to our master's open, gaping wound to heal and renew!
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on August 19, 2016, 06:03:55 AM
C'mon, Mirror, join the antibodies who are rushing to our master's open, gaping wound to heal and renew!

André

Leibowitz, like Stravinsky, Boulez and other 20th century luminaries, was very trenchant and often one-sided in his musical opinions. Open-mindedness was tantamount to stupidity in many artistic circles. But he was not a nobody. Ironically, his claim to fame is surely his Beethoven symphonies integral cycle !

bhodges

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on August 19, 2016, 06:03:55 AM

No commentary intended on Mirror Image, Leibowitz, Sibelius, or anyone else, but this did make me laugh.  8)

--Bruce

timh1

I'm reading The Correspondence of Jean Sibelius and Rosa Newmarch, 1906-1939 Edited by Philip Ross Bullock.

My favourite quote in a letter of the 18 May 1914, Sibelius wrote "I really roared with laughter over criticism of my symphonies."

Madiel

I've been sucked into looking at the Sibelius Edition again, in many cases just to confirm that it's not what I want, but the "Voice and Orchestra" volume is the one that keeps holding my interest.

[asin]B000YGIHIW[/asin]

For a lot of this repertoire there isn't a lot of competition anyway, but I thought I would ask about the competition in this way:

1. How does this version of Kullervo (Vanska, Lahti SO) compare? It's one of the few works where there are many other options. I've seen some positive reviews.
2. Similarly how does this Luonnotar compare, and the orchestral songs (largely taken from an album conducted by Panula, where again I've seen a positive review).

3.  Is anyone familiar with the recordings by Paavo Jarvi of various cantatas/choral works and the opera? That really is the only remotely equivalent set of recordings, although not as comprehensive.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

I was fortunate to turn on the radio this morning as I was cooking my porridge (am sure you wanted to know that) just in time to hear BBC Radio 3's 'Building a Library' on Sibelius's 'Tapiola' which is my favourite work by the composer. If you have access to the BBC Radio 3 'Record Review' website you can read the details there or download the programme in the UK I guess. They liked the Sarasate recording but here is the No.1 choice:
[asin]B00000378L[/asin]