Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on November 14, 2019, 05:41:41 AM
Must confess, I've never heard Elgar's Symphony No. 3.  Worth giving it a try?

I think it's great - very moving. I love they way that Payne uses 'The Waggon Passes' from the 'Nursery Suite' for the conclusion of the reconstructed symphony. So a big yes from me.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: relm1 on November 14, 2019, 05:41:41 AM
Must confess, I've never heard Elgar's Symphony No. 3.  Worth giving it a try?

Quote from: aukhawk on November 14, 2019, 07:12:31 AM
Well it's 50 minutes of your life you'll never get back.  That's why it's reasonable to ask around whether it's worth while.

I found it a good expenditure of 50 minutes. Per  André's point, it may be that, had Elgar realized the full symphony himself, it might have been a bit more trim.  But I think Payne's service outweighs any flaws of execution.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 14, 2019, 10:33:21 AM
I found it a good expenditure of 50 minutes. Per  André's point, it may be that, had Elgar realized the full symphony himself, it might have been a bit more trim.  But I think Payne's service outweighs any flaws of execution.

Actually I think it might have been beefed up a bit, in terms of filling up middle voices, orchestration etc. The composition is fully fleshed, but on the skinny side.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on November 14, 2019, 10:33:14 AM
I think it's great - very moving[...]So a big yes from me.

A yes from me too. I re-heard it this afternoon and confirmed my initial impression of the Symphony (formed many years ago) that it is a worthy addition- And yes, a moving experience to hear a semblance of Elgar's final thoughts.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 14, 2019, 10:33:21 AM
I found it a good expenditure of 50 minutes.

Indeed, especially for we Elgarians (there's more than one here, although none quite like Redux and the Finnish fanatic  ;) ).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on November 14, 2019, 10:33:14 AM
I think it's great - very moving. I love they way that Payne uses 'The Waggon Passes' from the 'Nursery Suite' for the conclusion of the reconstructed symphony. So a big yes from me.

I find us to be like minded so I should hear it.  I loved the Piano Concerto which I believe was similarly posthumous.  Any participial performance you suggest?

71 dB

Quote from: relm1 on November 14, 2019, 04:30:48 PM
I loved the Piano Concerto which I believe was similarly posthumous.  Any participial performance you suggest?

The Piano Concerto Op. 90 reconstruction by Robert Walker is nice, but the Third Symphony, Op. 88 elaboration is imo clearly better work.

I have these two performances and both of them are imo very fine. Naxos has softer "silky" sound while NMC has "edgy" sound. Both can be found at low price I believe.

[asin]B00004RC80[/asin]

[asin]B00002687K[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on November 14, 2019, 04:30:48 PM
I find us to be like minded so I should hear it.  I loved the Piano Concerto which I believe was similarly posthumous.  Any participial performance you suggest?

I like the Andrew Davis (pictured above) and Hickox versions in particular but I have enjoyed other recordings as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 14, 2019, 12:51:11 PM
A yes from me too. I re-heard it this afternoon and confirmed my initial impression of the Symphony (formed many years ago) that it is a worthy addition- And yes, a moving experience to hear a semblance of Elgar's final thoughts.

I find that too. It requires a certain kind of mindset to listen to it, knowing its reconstructed nature, but it's immensely valuable as an indicator of what Elgar had in mind. Anecdote coming up:

I was in Malvern, attending a concert some years ago, when the Elgar Society used the occasion to present Anthony Payne with a Gold Medal recognising his work on the 3rd symphony. At the interval I saw him standing alone in the bar. I dithered for a moment, wondering whether it would be intrusive to approach him; but then I walked up to him, shook his hand, thanked him for all his work, and walked away - the whole encounter taking maybe 10-15 seconds.

QuoteIndeed, especially for we Elgarians (there's more than one here, although none quite like Redux and the Finnish fanatic  ;) ).

Maybe less committed these days, Sarge. I've decided not to renew my membership of the Elgar Society at the end of the year.

71 dB

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on November 15, 2019, 01:08:56 AMI've decided not to renew my membership of the Elgar Society at the end of the year.

Time for new nickname? Elgarian Reduced?

71 dB

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 14, 2019, 12:51:11 PM
...the Finnish fanatic  ;)

Sarge

I guess if you are passionate about Haydn or Beethoven you are just someone who likes classical music, but if you adore Elgar's music you are a FANATIC...  >:D  ;D

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: 71 dB on November 15, 2019, 01:17:18 AM
Time for new nickname? Elgarian Reduced?

Well it does feel like a reduction, actually. It is a serious personal loss. The Elgar Birthplace Museum has now been put in the hands of The National Trust (it was on the verge of going bust). This has saved the Birthplace in a practical, financial sense, and it now gets many more visitors; but for me, it has ruined it. For example, there used to be a unique and wonderful shop there, which sold pretty much every available Elgar CD, and every available Elgar book. It has been replaced by the kind of standard National Trust shop one can find anywhere, selling tea towels and chutney, and I find it painful to visit.

My chief reasons for belonging to the Society have always been (a) to support the Birthplace Museum; (b) to get free entry to it (we used to go there a lot); and (c) to buy Elgar books and CDs (which purchases also supported the Birthplace of course). All those reasons have now disappeared, so I may as well save the cost of my membership subscription.

71 dB

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on November 15, 2019, 01:41:04 AM
Well it does feel like a reduction, actually. It is a serious personal loss. The Elgar Birthplace Museum has now been put in the hands of The National Trust (it was on the verge of going bust). This has saved the Birthplace in a practical, financial sense, and it now gets many more visitors; but for me, it has ruined it. For example, there used to be a unique and wonderful shop there, which sold pretty much every available Elgar CD, and every available Elgar book. It has been replaced by the kind of standard National Trust shop one can find anywhere, selling tea towels and chutney, and I find it painful to visit.

My chief reasons for belonging to the Society have always been (a) to support the Birthplace Museum; (b) to get free entry to it (we used to go there a lot); and (c) to buy Elgar books and CDs (which purchases also supported the Birthplace of course). All those reasons have now disappeared, so I may as well save the cost of my membership subscription.

We live on a planet where there's almost limitless money for military, but hardly anything to cherish cultural heritage. I am not surprised of this at all after watching Brexit process for three years. Nothing matters these days except the political careers of power-hungry boneheads...

Roasted Swan

I'm a member of the National Trust and was DELIGHTED to see that the Birthplace Museum is now part of that organisation so that I can get free entry whenever I want.  I must admit I find your reasons rather self serving!  You say yourself without the Trust's intervention the museum was going bust - so clearly contributions via memberships and on-site purchases were insufficient.  You also state that footfall is up.  Surely it is BETTER for both the museum itself AND a wider appreciation of Elgar and his Art that MORE people are engaging with it.  Are you really suggesting that it would be better for the Birthplace to be closed to all just because it now sells tea-towels instead of composer-specific items? (all of which can be sourced elsewhere easily). 

Papy Oli

It's a bit harsh. NT have salvaged it from closure, their volunteers and employees will maintain it all year round to ensure usual local visitors continue to enjoy it and attract new visitors too. Granted, it may not be a sort of hidden gem any longer for people like yourself who have thankfully sustained it throughout the years but surely its long term accessibility is better for all involved ? Consider the (apparent, from the website) smaller size of that property compared to other larger domains and manors NT also protects. Surely, it's a blessing they provide the upkeep to those smaller sites of high cultural significance as well. I have been in the UK for nearly 22 years, an NT member for probably 15 of those, and that's probably the direct debit I am happiest to see going out of my bank account, even if they doubled or tripled it. Yes the shops are a bit generic throughout with usually a small section only for the property-related items, but surely there are worse evils. it's not as if the NT will turn this place into Disneyland Paris.  0:)  Like the Swan, I for one would love to visit if I pass nearby. (That could be a nice location for a GMG UK meet...anyone ?  8))

Olivier

Karl Henning

I grieve with you. The gooseberry pie is a help, though.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Irons

Quote from: 71 dB on November 15, 2019, 01:30:33 AM
I guess if you are passionate about Haydn or Beethoven you are just someone who likes classical music, but if you adore Elgar's music you are a FANATIC...  >:D  ;D

Plenty of Brits are fanatical about Sibelius (including me) so the other way around addresses the balance (a bit). ;)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on November 15, 2019, 01:30:33 AM

No, but if you sing "Land of Hope and Glory" in the shower, you may just be.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 15, 2019, 10:11:23 AM
No, but if you sing "Land of Hope and Glory" in the shower, you may just be.

I don't sing anything in the shower...

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 15, 2019, 03:28:32 AM
I'm a member of the National Trust and was DELIGHTED to see that the Birthplace Museum is now part of that organisation so that I can get free entry whenever I want.  I must admit I find your reasons rather self serving!  You say yourself without the Trust's intervention the museum was going bust - so clearly contributions via memberships and on-site purchases were insufficient.  You also state that footfall is up.  Surely it is BETTER for both the museum itself AND a wider appreciation of Elgar and his Art that MORE people are engaging with it.  Are you really suggesting that it would be better for the Birthplace to be closed to all just because it now sells tea-towels instead of composer-specific items? (all of which can be sourced elsewhere easily).
I said it was a personal loss. I didn't say that the handing over to the National Trust didn't save the Birthplace. It did. Neither did I say I thought it would be 'better' for the Birthplace to close instead. I know very well that many people like the new look, and I think that's a fine thing for them. I was explaining why it is a loss to me, personally, and I have as much right to express my sadness about the loss as others have to express delight in the new regime. I am not morally obliged to be a member of the Elgar Society, and indeed I have supported the Birthplace in many quiet, unnoticed ways for many, many years.

But some things do not last forever, and it transpired that my membership turns out to be one of them. Yet you, in complete ignorance of the background and my personal circumstances, insultingly call my reasons 'self-serving'? I really do not accept you as an appropriate moral authority in this matter, and I am astonished that you seem to think you are.

It is extraordinary that within a matter of days of returning to GMG, I find myself involved in this sort of unpleasantness almost immediately. Enough is enough. I am gone.

André