Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Quote from: Luke on August 27, 2011, 02:26:08 PM
Of course, I won't take offence at 'I could tell that you'd written it...by not focusing on the words'  ;D  ;D because I know and agree with exactly what you mean! And I know, too, that my writing can get lost sometimes, too, though the meaning is in there, struggling to get out! Usually...

Well I'm glad about that, because it truly was a compliment, and indeed I have no higher praise! Although my response came out with a slightly unfortunate cast, expressed as a negative ('by not focussing on the words'), what I was wanting to draw attention to was that I'd responded to the life and truth in the words you'd actually used. It's a characteristic of writing in that particular way: the words come up rough-hewn but true, instead of being self-consciously overwrought and missing the mark. One might say the writing becomes more transparent, enabling the subject to be seen more clearly. A sentence of that kind of writing is worth more than a hundred pages of puff and polish (witness Hughes's own poetry).

Luke

Quote from: Elgarian on August 27, 2011, 10:55:45 PM
Well I'm glad about that, because it truly was a compliment, and indeed I have no higher praise! Although my response came out with a slightly unfortunate cast, expressed as a negative ('by not focussing on the words'), what I was wanting to draw attention to was that I'd responded to the life and truth in the words you'd actually used. It's a characteristic of writing in that particular way: the words come up rough-hewn but true, instead of being self-consciously overwrought and missing the mark. One might say the writing becomes more transparent, enabling the subject to be seen more clearly. A sentence of that kind of writing is worth more than a hundred pages of puff and polish (witness Hughes's own poetry).

Don't worry, I knew it was a compliment and it didn't read as anything other!  :)

71 dB

Finally ordered the Gibson's Spirit of England last night. I should have made this purchase ages ago since I really only have only one versions of Coronation Ode and Spirit of England.

I have been spoiling myself lately with filthy cheap Amazon marketplace discs (under £1+shipping) and the £5.81 delivered I paid for the Elgar feels like a bankruptcy. But it is Elgar and it's only money.  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Elgarian

Quote from: 71 dB on August 28, 2011, 12:00:45 AM
But it is Elgar and it's only money.  ;)

That's the spirit! (of England ...)

It's cheap at the price. After all, we're talking about the CD which, if I had to give all my CDs away one by one, would be the last to go.

71 dB

Quote from: Elgarian on August 28, 2011, 01:24:16 AM
That's the spirit! (of England ...)
:D

Quote from: Elgarian on August 28, 2011, 01:24:16 AMIt's cheap at the price. After all, we're talking about the CD which, if I had to give all my CDs away one by one, would be the last to go.
I know.  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

karlhenning

You mean to say, that I ordered three different recordings of The Spirit of England at a time when Poju himself had never heard the piece? . . .

; )

madaboutmahler

Elgar is an absolute favourite composer of mine, his music is evokes so much emotion from me. My personal favourite pieces of Elgar are the two symphonies which I believe are utterly magical and shining with beauty and emotional power. But I happily listen to anything he wrote, my other favourites being the "In The South" overture, Sea Pictures, Enigma Variations, String Serenade, the two concertos and the two beautiful miniatures "Dream Children".
It is such a shame that so little of Elgar's music is known outside England, it's amazing that apparently until 2010 when Ashkenazy recorded the work with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, the second symphony had only ever been recorded  with British orchestras.  :( And I have to admit that when the work is performed by orchestras outside Britain, the score is not always as beautiful or heart-warmingly played. Even the Berliner Philharmoniker's performance a few years ago seemed rather dry compared to a British orchestra's performance.... I wonder why this is?
In terms of best performances of Elgar's works.... my favourite performances of the two symphonies has to be Solti's with the LPO.

[asin]B00000425P[/asin]
And this performance of the Enigma from Bernstein is a must from any Elgar fan! Full of passion and power, helped by Bernstein's much more broad speeds in the finale.

[asin]B0000012UG[/asin]
Have a nice day everyone, Happy listening (to Elgar perhaps?!)  ;)
Best Wishes!
Daniel
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

karlhenning

Quote from: Elgarian on August 21, 2011, 12:52:00 PM
Well I hope the Tate is a bit more lively than the Davis. How does his timing compare, Karl?

Not sure that I responded here . . . I was mistaken, and it is not In the South on this Jeffrey Tate/LSO two-fer, but Cockaigne . . . another piece, though, Alan, which I doubt I've listened to properly yet . . . .

mc ukrneal

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 28, 2011, 01:10:20 PM
Not sure that I responded here . . . I was mistaken, and it is not In the South on this Jeffrey Tate/LSO two-fer, but Cockaigne . . . another piece, though, Alan, which I doubt I've listened to properly yet . . . .
Oh - that one's a beaut! It is on the same disc as Symphony #2 (Boult) and I find I look forward to that entire disc quite a bit. Cockaigne is very British and very Elgar. I mean that in the best sense, as it is uplifting and moving. It doesn't have quite the long line of even some of his shorter pieces, but it's still very good!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 28, 2011, 01:10:20 PM

Oh! Chalk and cheese, Karl. Cockaigne is a cracker - full of Elgar's blustery London Englishness, but in all the right ways; and in the middle of all the honking taxis and horseguards, there's a lovely slower section with an almost pastoral feel to it - gorgeous tune. It's easy to like, I'd say. OK, daft thing to say, I know. But it is.

Elgarian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 28, 2011, 01:19:09 PM
Oh - that one's a beaut! It is on the same disc as Symphony #2 (Boult) and I find I look forward to that entire disc quite a bit. Cockaigne is very British and very Elgar. I mean that in the best sense, as it is uplifting and moving. It doesn't have quite the long line of even some of his shorter pieces, but it's still very good!

With two such Cockaigne supporters, surely Karl must be convinced!

karlhenning

Nor have I any objection to a composer writing alternately chalk and cheese.  By chance (really) I did run into that Tate recording, so here I am a-listening to the Op.40 with pleasure.

Oh, and Alan . . . while I am sure there is extra value to the Elgar recording, I found myself thoroughly enjoying the Andrew Davis account of In the South.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Elgarian on August 28, 2011, 01:24:06 PM
With two such Cockaigne supporters, surely Karl must be convinced!
I hope so. And the slower section does indeed have a certain 'pastoralness' to it. Very apt!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

karlhenning

The symphonies, too, are growing on me more than I should have suspected . . . .

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 28, 2011, 09:37:04 AM
In terms of best performances of Elgar's works.... my favourite performances of the two symphonies has to be Solti's with the LPO.

And this performance of the Enigma from Bernstein is a must from any Elgar fan! Full of passion and power, helped by Bernstein's much more broad speeds in the finale.

I also think quite highly of Solti and Bernstein's Elgar. If Solti's symphonies aren't my absolute favorites (that would be Previn's First and Sinopoli's Second), the Bernstein is my favorite Enigma.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 28, 2011, 01:27:03 PM
Oh, and Alan . . . while I am sure there is extra value to the Elgar recording, I found myself thoroughly enjoying the Andrew Davis account of In the South.

So have I. Until a few days ago, I'd never actually tried to compare different performances, and I certainly recall having enjoyed the Andrew Davis in the past, when listening to it on its own merits. However, the other day when I was posting here, for the first time I listened to Sir Andrew's In The South more or less directly after Sir Edward's ... and the difference was startling, if not revelatory.

(Lest it be thought that I have some prejudice against Andrew Davis, let me say that his Enigma is blisteringly fine. Tip top. Tippest of the toppest.)

karlhenning

That Sospiri is a sweet little number, isn't it?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 28, 2011, 01:37:04 PM
I also think quite highly of Solti and Bernstein's Elgar. If Solti's symphonies aren't my absolute favorites (that would be Previn's First and Sinopoli's Second), the Bernstein is my favorite Enigma.

Sarge

We need an Elgar listening party, Sarge. If so, seems as if only one of us would need to bring the recordings.  ;D

How familiar is anyone with this collection...

[asin]B0009VYP92[/asin]

...I have the single discs of The Music Makers, etc... and Symphony no.2 from this collection, but I see this is ultra cheap at the MP, and was wondering how the rest of the performances match up.

karlhenning

That's what I've been listening to, Greg. I'm not up to a proper report yet, but I'm liking what I hear very well, making my gradual way.

Brahmsian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 28, 2011, 09:37:04 AM
Have a nice day everyone, Happy listening (to Elgar perhaps?!)  ;)
Best Wishes!
Daniel

Welcome to GMG, Daniel.  From your pal, Ray.  Glad to see you make your first post!   8)