Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

I find myself averse to Solti's Elgar -- but I can take Barenboim's very well.

In

Sy.1: Elder, C.Davis/Dresden, A.Davis/Philharmonia, Norrington, Barenboim

and in

Sy.2: Hickox, Elder, Thomson, Barenboim, A.Davis/Philharmonia

are probably the ones I'm most likely to be pulled off the shelves if it is just for enjoyment that I'd listen to them.

71 dB

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 21, 2012, 04:06:24 PM
Been doing a lot of comparisons with my Elgar Symphony recordings lately, wondering if I'm missing any that you might consider as must own. Here's my collection so far...

No.1 - A.Davis, Solti, Sinopoli, Tate, Slatkin, Barbirolli, Zinman, Previn, Boult (EMI), Boult (Live)
No.2 - A.Davis, Solti, Sinopoli, Tate, Slatkin, Barbirolli, Elder, C.Davis (LSOLive)
No.3 - Daniel, C.Davis (LSOLive)

I don't think you really need any other performances but you could try Hurst and Downes.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: jlaurson on July 22, 2012, 05:28:26 AM
I find myself averse to Solti's Elgar -- but I can take Barenboim's very well.

In

Sy.1: Elder, C.Davis/Dresden, A.Davis/Philharmonia, Norrington, Barenboim

and in

Sy.2: Hickox, Elder, Thomson, Barenboim, A.Davis/Philharmonia

are probably the ones I'm most likely to be pulled off the shelves if it is just for enjoyment that I'd listen to them.

Ok, so the Norrington is the one that took me by surprise, not necessarily in a bad way, just a bit of a head scratcher, and I'm a big Norrington fan (best Berlioz Requiem on the market,  :o yeah I said it) but I will revisit it again, Spotify has it.
Thanks, Jens!

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 22, 2012, 05:26:09 AM
Although I have favorite performances, I could be happy with any of the twenty versions (of 1 & 2) I own. The music is superb, and everyone does it proud. One thing I look for in the First is whether the struggle for the Nobilmente theme to gain ascendancy in the last movement is fought on an epic scale, the struggle palpable. More than the others, Slatkin, Previn and Boult (EMI) make me feel there's a real battle going on here. (I don't remember who recommended Slatkin last year, but thank you: you were right on  8) Glorious performance with a blistering Scherzo.)

With the Second I like a performance that takes me into the abyss and I've found the slower the journey the darker the journey (with the exception of Svetlanov whose first movement ride even outpaces Elgar own performance...it's wild and compelling). Sinopoli's "Brucknerian" pacing is ideal.

Boult's live performance with the BBC I haven't heard yet. I bought it several months ago but then promptly lost it in one of my many piles of CDs that are begging for shelf space. I'll have to dig it out soon.

Sarge, the Slatkin recommendation could have been me, I love his Elgar performances, and recently his Kingdom recording. And I agree 100% with your abyss comment on No.2, and Sinopoli, and even Tate, succeed. And Sinopoli's 1st is always creeping up on my list, although I do prefer a swifter 1st, such as the Boult live which you must hear, thanks to Alan for the emphatic review on it.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 22, 2012, 05:26:09 AM
Although I have favorite performances, I could be happy with any of the twenty versions (of 1 & 2) I own.

A great place to be!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Quote from: 71 dB on July 22, 2012, 05:34:55 AM
I don't think you really need any other performances but you could try Hurst and Downes.

As I said earlier, I absolutely adore the Downes recording so would heartily recommend it to you, Greg. The Hurst is rather good too, I haven't listened to it in a while, but remember it being very fast!!

Lovely list, Sarge - I'm interested to hear that Svetlanov recording.

Jens - out of interest, what are the Barenboim recordings like? Might be interested to get those. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

TheGSMoeller

Theres a moment in the third movement Adagio from Op.55 that has such an unexpected and airy quality, just after the introduction, the strings slowly rise to a quiet arpeggio, it's brief but lovely.

Zinman/Baltimore (this discussed moment starts at 1:27)

http://www.youtube.com/v/UhBc3jw0zX0

Elgar/LSO (this discussed moment starts at 1:19)
http://www.youtube.com/v/CbElrRyK1o0&feature=related

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 22, 2012, 05:39:47 AM
Sarge, the Slatkin recommendation could have been me, I love his Elgar performances, and recently his Kingdom recording.

Then I thank you personally. I'm encoring it right now...and Mrs. Rock can't stop humming that aggressive theme from the last movement  :D

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 22, 2012, 05:39:47 AM...although I do prefer a swifter 1st, such as the Boult live which you must hear, thanks to Alan for the emphatic review on it.

Same here. I prefer the slower Seconds (excepting Svetlanov's) but the swifter Firsts. I found the timings for the Boult BBC that Alan provided in an older post:

Quote from: Elgarian on April 23, 2012, 08:47:21 AM
Take a look at the timings for Boult's 1976 live Proms recording of the 1st symphony - the one that's been arousing so much enthusiasm for me and others (see #1415 above):

17:22  7:05  9:04  11:19

Remarkably, I don't feel even the slightest sense of undue haste; it's such a masterly performance that it seems perfectly natural.

:o  Those are fast!

I don't have the time to look for, or play the CD now, but I'll hunt for it later this evening or tomorrow. I need to hear this.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

I find myself averse to Solti's Elgar -- but I can take Barenboim's very well....

I'm shocked, shocked, to see you here  :D  You seldom appear in the British music threads. I've just assumed you didn't care for most of it. Barenboim's First I have on LP but haven't listened to it...well, I have no idea when I last heard it: twenty-five years ago? Another First, then, that I'll have to spin soon.

Sarge

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 22, 2012, 05:52:19 AM
Theres a moment in the third movement Adagio from Op.55 that has such an unexpected and airy quality, just after the introduction, the strings slowly rise to a quiet arpeggio, it's brief but lovely.

I've always had a strange impression while listening to the Adagio: there are some parts, especially in the introduction, which remind me Tannhäuser'Ouverture. Anyway, this movement of the 1st symphony is absolutely beautiful, so passionate and elegant; such splendid music.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 22, 2012, 06:34:25 AM
I'm shocked, shocked, to see you here  :D  You seldom appear in the British music threads. I've just assumed you didn't care for most of it. Barenboim's First I have on LP but haven't listened to it...well, I have no idea when I last heard it: twenty-five years ago? Another First, then, that I'll have to spin soon...

Sarge

I observe, I just can't contribute with the same confidence. But I've been known to occasionally indulge on Elgar and Adès, Alwyn, Arnold, and Bax, Berkeley (both), Birtwistle (recent discovery, after only knowing name and reputation), Bliss, Bowen (just listened to some String Quintets) and Bridge, Bolcom and Bantock (especially), and Delius ("Fritz"; just listened to the new Mass of Life on Naxos), Dunhill (Australian, actually, is he?), Holloway, Holst, MacMillan, Foulds, and whatnot. It's the benefit of an American/Anglo education: It gets you out of the narrow-minded self-congratulatory Continental European mindset.

Quote from: madaboutmahler on July 22, 2012, 05:49:24 AM
Jens - out of interest, what are the Barenboim recordings like? Might be interested to get those. :)

The two Symphonies -- linked-to in the above post, quoted below

Sy.1:..., Barenboim

and in

Sy.2: ..., Barenboim, ...

P.S. Britten (why do all English/British composers begin with "B", by the way?  It's almost a continuation of the Bach-Beethoven-Brahms-Bruckner alliteration) isn't English, he's international.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on July 22, 2012, 07:18:30 AM
I observe, I just can't contribute with the same confidence. But I've been known to occasionally indulge on Elgar and....

Vaughan Williams notably absent. An oversight or do you not care for or listen to his music?

P.S. why do all English/British composers begin with "B", by the way?

Havergal Brian...also not on your list. Have you tried him? It would have been cool had you made it to the Proms Gothic last summer. I would have loved to have read your review.

Sarge

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 22, 2012, 07:26:12 AM
Vaughan Williams notably absent. An oversight or do you not care for or listen to his music?

Havergal Brian...also not on your list. Have you tried him? It would have been cool had you made it to the Proms Gothic last summer. I would have loved to have read your review.

Sarge

Vaughan Williams I listen to, but he's not a favorite. I do love Walton, though, and he's not on the list, either.

I've been listening to Brian since the Gothic first came out on Marco Polo. Or, well, maybe its Naxos re-issue. My friend and English-music enthusiast Bob McQuiston pointed me that way. But I've never heard it live yet.

Elgarian

P.S. Britten (why do all English/British composers begin with "B", by the way?  It's almost a continuation of the Bach-Beethoven-Brahms-Bruckner alliteration) isn't English, he's international.

Barnold, Belgar, Baughan Billiams, Barry ... yep, they do mount up.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Elgarian on July 22, 2012, 09:01:22 AM

Alan must still not be feeling well.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Elgarian on July 22, 2012, 09:01:22 AM
Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 22, 2012, 09:04:35 AM

;D  ;D

Just back from listening to Boult's EMI Elgar 2, pure passion and beauty! Outstanding performance. :)

As it appears to be GMG Elgar Day, I have finally purchased this:
[asin]B000000A9N[/asin]

Have been tempted to get this eversince Alan recommended it to me first, quite a while back. Very excited to hear it now! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: madaboutmahler on July 22, 2012, 10:06:03 AM
;D  ;D

Just back from listening to Boult's EMI Elgar 2, pure passion and beauty! Outstanding performance. :)

[asin]B000000A9N[/asin]

Have been tempted to get this eversince Alan recommended it to me first, quite a while back. Very excited to hear it now! :)

Good one, Daniel. Quite moving. I just recently purchased the BBC/Lloyd Jones version and haven't posted my thoughts yet on the comparisons.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 22, 2012, 10:08:50 AM
Good one, Daniel. Quite moving. I just recently purchased the BBC/Lloyd Jones version and haven't posted my thoughts yet on the comparisons.

Yes, listened to those short excerpts given on Amazon, and they did sound absolutely beautiful. Really looking forward to listening to it, thanks, Greg! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Elgarian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on July 22, 2012, 10:06:03 AM
[asin]B000000A9N[/asin]

Hallelujah!!!

Elgarian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 22, 2012, 09:04:35 AM

I'm fine now, but I still have a 'B' in my bonnet.

Karl Henning

You've listened to some Bippett, then?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot