Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

So I've been revisiting Elgar's music and finding it more and more my thing. Such an incredible composer. I bought some new recordings, and a DVD, to celebrate my newfound enthusiasm for all things Elgar:

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 17, 2012, 11:33:50 AM
So I've been revisiting Elgar's music . . . .

We take these things as read whenever you change your profile pic, you know ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on December 17, 2012, 11:35:32 AM

Next, John will sport a Karl Henning avatar!

Then GMG would be confused.

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on December 17, 2012, 11:35:32 AM

I know. :D I'm more less posting these purchases here to perhaps get some feedback on any of these recordings. I've read several positive things about Davis' The Starlight Express, so that was a no-brainer purchase especially since I don't own any recordings of this work. As for the Elder, Hurst, and Gibson recordings, I wonder if any of you own any of these? I know Greg said he owned several of the Elder.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 17, 2012, 11:38:43 AM
Next, John will sport a Karl Henning avatar!

Then GMG would be confused.

:D

Karl Henning

Well, I really enjoy Elder's account of Falstaff. I need to revisit the Vc Cto (Schiff, is it?)  And to revisit Znajder's account of the Vn Cto.  Those are the only two recordings I have, of your lot there.

No, hang on, I like that disc of The Spirit of England and the Coronation Ode, too.

That said, I still hesitate to revisit The Apostles.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on December 17, 2012, 11:49:54 AM
Well, I really enjoy Elder's account of Falstaff. I need to revisit the Vc Cto (Schiff, is it?)  And to revisit Znajder's account of the Vn Cto.  Those are the only two recordings I have, of your lot there.

No, hang on, I like that disc of The Spirit of England and the Coronation Ode, too.

The Kingdom and Apostles are nice works, but feel like a slow train to nowhere at times.

And yes, that recording of The Spirit of England is a powerful one.

Mirror Image

The Elder performance of Violin Concerto is with Thomas Zehetmair as soloist. Yes, okay, I seem to recall your praise of The Spirit of England recording. I know nothing of The Apostles, but have been distracted by many of Elgar's miniatures like Elergy, Sospiri, The Wand of Youth Suite and Nursery Suite. Also major works like the Cello Concerto, the symphonies, Falstaff, In the South, etc. have preoccupied me before and they're doing it again it seems. :) Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Will be curious to know your opinion of the Znajder account of the VC once you've re-listened to it.

madaboutmahler

Wow - you certainly meant it when you said you would be buying A LOT of Elgar, John! :D
Well, I really enjoy Elder's account of Falstaff. I need to revisit the Vc Cto (Schiff, is it?) 

+1 - Elder's Falstaff is easily my favourite of the work I have heard. The recording of the Cello Concerto with Elder and Schiff is outstanding, a really really beautiful performance, my favourite of the work. (alongside Du Pre of course)

I do own some of Gibson's recordings but have not listened to them yet.... based on his fantastic Chandos release of all the overtures, they should be good! I'm sure the Znaider will be wonderful too!

Great load, John! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 17, 2012, 12:27:17 PM
Wow - you certainly meant it when you said you would be buying A LOT of Elgar, John! :D
+1 - Elder's Falstaff is easily my favourite of the work I have heard. The recording of the Cello Concerto with Elder and Schiff is outstanding, a really really beautiful performance, my favourite of the work. (alongside Du Pre of course)

I do own some of Gibson's recordings but have not listened to them yet.... based on his fantastic Chandos release of all the overtures, they should be good! I'm sure the Znaider will be wonderful too!

Great load, John! :)

This is good to hear, Daniel. Yeah, I told you I would go nuts with Elgar and I did. :) I like Alexander Gibson's conducting anyway, so I figured these would be good recordings and as a little memoriam to George Hurst, who recently died, I bought this recording of The Starlight Express Suite. By the way, I'll definitely let you know my impressions of the Davis' The Starlight Express recording which you have commented on earlier.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Elgarian on October 11, 2012, 12:48:21 PM
Funny thing. Although I can't get enough of Solti's Wagner, I've never been tempted (until now, with Enigma) to sample his Elgar. Not because I disapprove, in some way - he's a tremendously exciting conductor - but because I always had a suspicion that his approach to Elgar would rub me up the wrong way. That suspicion was confirmed by the Enigma performance I watched recently, and I now feel a bit uncomfortable about tackling the 2nd symphony that's on the same DVD. One day I'll take the plunge, but I'm not in a rush.

I should add that these are personal and essentially non-rational misgivings and I'm not attempting to argue with those who admire his Elgar.

My sentiments exactly. I never cared much for Solti's Elgar performances and don't rank them highly on my personal favorite list. Boult, Barbirolli, A. Davis, C. Davis, and Sinopoli remain hard conductors to better in Elgar IMHO.

TheGSMoeller

For a good Symphony No.1, don't discount Slatkin/LPO, may not think of Slatkin as being a top choice for Elgar, but he brings an intensity to compliment the lyricism and is highly effective in this.

Also, Colin Davis's disc of No.1 with Dresden is great. I find it to be superior to his LSO Live account. The Dresden strings are unbeatable in this performance, so lush.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 17, 2012, 06:12:07 PM
For a good Symphony No.1, don't discount Slatkin/LPO, may not think of Slatkin as being a top choice for Elgar, but he brings an intensity to compliment the lyricism and is highly effective in this.

Also, Colin Davis's disc of No.1 with Dresden is great. I find it to be superior to his LSO Live account. The Dresden strings are unbeatable in this performance, so lush.

Don't like Slatkin. Never have liked Slatkin in anything really, but that's just my opinion. Yes, the Colin Davis Dresden account of Symphony No. 1 is outstanding, but I like his LSO Live performances as well, but not as much as Barbirolli or Boult. These are the yardsticks to which I measure all Elgar symphony performances. :)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 17, 2012, 06:36:12 PM
Don't like Slatkin. Never have liked Slatkin in anything really, but that's just my opinion. Yes, the Colin Davis Dresden account of Symphony No. 1 is outstanding, but I like his LSO Live performances as well, but not as much as Barbirolli or Boult. These are the yardsticks to which I measure all Elgar symphony performances. :)

I should have remembered you're not a Slatkin fan (DSCH, Vaughan-Williams), but his Elgar cycle is very much a testament to his output, his No. 1 is great, his No. 2 not so much.

John, if you like Sinopoli you should give Tate's recordings a try, similar in interpretation, another fine cycle.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 18, 2012, 04:40:08 AM
I should have remembered you're not a Slatkin fan (DSCH, Vaughan-Williams), but his Elgar cycle is very much a testament to his output, his No. 1 is great, his No. 2 not so much.

John, if you like Sinopoli you should give Tate's recordings a try, similar in interpretation, another fine cycle.

Thanks, Greg. I've heard mixed things about the audio quality of Tate's Elgar recordings. Any opinion of this?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 18, 2012, 06:33:42 AM
Thanks, Greg. I've heard mixed things about the audio quality of Tate's Elgar recordings. Any opinion of this?

Not as dynamic as others, but nothing that deters me from listening. I do enjoy the tuba having a stronger presence in Tate's recordings.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 18, 2012, 08:24:01 AM
Not as dynamic as others, but nothing that deters me from listening. I do enjoy the tuba having a stronger presence in Tate's recordings.

In Elgar's music, dynamics are extremely important. I'll investigate these Tate performances, but I'm still cautious of them.

Mirror Image

Amidst my Elgar purchasing frenzy, I forgot to mention or post this purchase:

The excerpts I heard from The Black Knight sounded fantastic.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 18, 2012, 09:19:56 AM
Amidst my Elgar purchasing frenzy, I forgot to mention or post this purchase:

The excerpts I heard from The Black Knight sounded fantastic.

I saw Vasily Petrenko conduct "Scenes from the Bavarian Highlands" live in Liverpool. Very amusing piece, really - all drinking songs and machismo and somewhat comical caricature. A lot of fun in concert, not sure how often I'd play it on CD. (He also did the Second Symphony; it was the first time I'd ever heard either piece.)