Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 21, 2012, 06:51:05 PM
My apologies. I had the "o" and "u" mixed up! :-[ Thanks, yes, I have quite a lot of Elgar on the way, but I already had a good many Elgar recordings before these purchases. I'm only "adding to the pile" now. :D I actually like A LOT of Elgar's music. Most of it I've heard actually with exception of the first Pomp & Circumstance march. My favorite of the five is No. 3. Anyway, these works are like Shostakovich's propaganda works, they don't fully represent what the composer is capable of doing, but they're still fun to listen to nonetheless.

No harm done John. I believe you had plenty of Elgar before but since you wrote how something has happened to you and you now hear new things in Elgar's music you must be listening to your new and old Elgar discs with new ears.

I haven't even though about which pomp and circumstance I like the most. Elgar liked to write them and masses liked to hear them. Pop music of the days but also brilliant march music nevertheless. I haven't heard the compeleted sixth march yet.

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 21, 2012, 07:24:10 PM
I agree, Poju. Listened to Dream Children before heading off to work this morning and really enjoyed it. A very short work, but if it was any longer it just wouldn't be the same. Another "minor" work by Elgar I love is Elegy. Absolutely beautiful, but all these miniature works are masterfully crafted and contain wonderful melodies.

Yes, Dream Children is lovely as are The Wand of Youth and Nursery Suites. I listen to there works quite often actually. Comforting music is needed in our cold hard world where money, competition, success and assiduity are everything.

To me Elgar's Elegy is a short major work.

Quote from: Elgarian on December 22, 2012, 12:22:44 AM
The whole story of the differences, for me, is flagged up in the first entry of the soprano: 'Spirit of England go before us'. Lott sings beautifully enough, but listening to her, then to Cahill, is like comparing a map of England to actually being there.

I don't find these differences that dramatic. Lott was my first and only "Spirit" for a decade or so until buying Cahill since you recommend it so heavily. My brain works differently from other people and I have difficulties comparing recordings. I don't remember accurately how the other recordings sound when I am listening to a recording. Makes comparing difficult. I can "comprehent" only one performance at a time, the one I am listening to. It's like comparing apple and oranges. While eating an apple you don't remember the taste of oranges and vice versa. You can't tell which one you like more. You only know you like both. That's how I feel about Cahill and Lott. I like them both a lot but telling which one I prefer is impossible.

For me it's important the a performance works "internally". Both Cahill and Lott do imo. Anyway, I have listenend to Cahill only twice so I might find out about it's treasures later in my life...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on December 22, 2012, 02:03:55 AM
No harm done John. I believe you had plenty of Elgar before but since you wrote how something has happened to you and you now hear new things in Elgar's music you must be listening to your new and old Elgar discs with new ears.

I haven't even thought about which pomp and circumstance I like the most. Elgar liked to write them and masses liked to hear them. Pop music of the days but also brilliant march music nevertheless. I haven't heard the compeleted sixth march yet.

Yes, Dream Children is lovely as are The Wand of Youth and Nursery Suites. I listen to there works quite often actually. Comforting music is needed in our cold hard world where money, competition, success and assiduity are everything.

To me Elgar's Elegy is a short major work.

Yes, I guess what I meant is that even tough the Pomp & Circumstance marches aren't top-drawer Elgar in terms of emotional depth, it still doesn't make them any less enjoyable to listen to. The Wand of Youth and Nursery Suite are fine works. As for my newfound appreciation for Elgar, I blame it on Barbirolli! ;) :D

By the way, changing gears, I listened to the recording of The Black Knight and Scenes from the Bavarian Highlands last night and they didn't make much of an impression on me. It could have been that I just wasn't receptive to the music, but I will have another listen to this Hickox performance soon.

Elgarian

Quote from: 71 dB on December 22, 2012, 02:03:55 AM
I don't find these differences that dramatic.

Interesting choice of words, there. It's in the drama where the most startling differences arise, for me. Cahill invests her singing with a sense of the drama of the words, while Lott sings them beautifully, but just as words. When Cahill sings the word 'England', she carried along with it a sense of involvement that seems to include something beyond mere patriotism; rather, something deeply felt, more like the old concept of 'Albion'. Whereas Lott sings the word 'England' like any other. That's what I hear, anyway.

But of course it's perfectly reasonable to prefer either approach.

rigormortis

I like these 3 Elgar Records of mine a lot:
Ida Haendel on Violin with Sir Adrian Boult
Serenade op.20, Dutch String Ensemble Special Recording

and this classic edition:
Enigma Variations, Sir Malcolm Sargent
Thanks,
Greetings from Hans

Elgarian

Quote from: rigormortis on December 23, 2012, 12:49:53 AM
I like these 3 Elgar Records of mine a lot:

and this classic edition:
Enigma Variations, Sir Malcolm Sargent

How interesting. This Sargent recording is the one I referred to in a post here a few days ago - see #1700, here:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,3503.msg681557.html#msg681557

It was my first Enigma recording at the age of 15/16, and was responsible for igniting my personal Elgar flame. I haven't heard it for decades (the LP wore out and was discarded long ago), but having discovered that it's available for download, I'm trying to decide whether to indulge ... or whether to let sleeping dogs lie.

rigormortis

It's always nice to hear your youth sins again ;-)
I heard Mendelssohn's Waldo de los Rios again and it made me laugh that that one brought me to the Classiques ;-)

Mirror Image

I'm really looking forward to hearing Gibson's The Spirit of England now. Thanks to Elgarian's comments.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 23, 2012, 06:51:53 AM
I'm really looking forward to hearing Gibson's The Spirit of England now. Thanks to Elgarian's comments.

You won't be disappointed, John. It's a heck of a piece, sadness is quite apparent in the music, but it's controlled. Elgar always seems to excel in creating very personal music that is easily accessible.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 23, 2012, 07:09:07 AM
You won't be disappointed, John. It's a heck of a piece, sadness is quite apparent in the music, but it's controlled. Elgar always seems to excel in creating very personal music that is easily accessible.

Coincidently, a user on YouTube has uploaded the whole performance of Gibson's The Spirit of England. I listened to about 10 minutes of it. Sounded fantastic.

Mirror Image

Just my opinion, but I think Introduction & Allegro is one of Elgar's most gorgeous works. It doesn't seem to get mentioned a lot. I always loved Boult's performance of it on EMI, but I've been enjoying Handley's and C. Davis' lately as well.

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 23, 2012, 07:09:07 AM

I think it's a trait of (to repeat) angloiserie — the emotive power has a focus in (rather than suffering any diminution from) the control.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 23, 2012, 06:20:44 PM
Just my opinion, but I think Introduction & Allegro is one of Elgar's most gorgeous works.

I agree John, an energetic and beautiful work indeed!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Elgarian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 23, 2012, 06:20:44 PM
Just my opinion, but I think Introduction & Allegro is one of Elgar's most gorgeous works. It doesn't seem to get mentioned a lot. I always loved Boult's performance of it on EMI, but I've been enjoying Handley's and C. Davis' lately as well.

When I was in my teens I used to go out into the Derbyshire hills, find myself a lonely spot from which I could see no sign of man's interference - just hills and sky - and sit quietly with the Introduction & Allegro unfolding in my imagination (no portable stereo back then). It's surely one of Elgar's greatest works - I wonder if it gets mentioned less often simply because of the iconic status it acquired after Ken Russell's famous film about Elgar. It almost became the Elgar theme tune after that. I know of no other piece of music that seems to fit so well as an accompaniment to the characteristic English landscape: green valleys and rolling hills with just a hint of bleak wildness about them. (All the more curious, since Elgar based it around a theme he'd heard emanating from a Welsh chapel!)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Elgarian on December 24, 2012, 01:05:25 AM
When I was in my teens I used to go out into the Derbyshire hills, find myself a lonely spot from which I could see no sign of man's interference - just hills and sky - and sit quietly with the Introduction & Allegro unfolding in my imagination (no portable stereo back then). It's surely one of Elgar's greatest works - I wonder if it gets mentioned less often simply because of the iconic status it acquired after Ken Russell's famous film about Elgar. It almost became the Elgar theme tune after that. I know of no other piece of music that seems to fit so well as an accompaniment to the characteristic English landscape: green valleys and rolling hills with just a hint of bleak wildness about them. (All the more curious, since Elgar based it around a theme he'd heard emanating from a Welsh chapel!)

Some nice imagery there, Alan. :)

Mirror Image

mc ukrneal

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 21, 2012, 06:10:10 PM
I finally decided to just get the third Spirit of England with Felicity Lott. It may not come until sometime in January, but it will be interesting to compare this 'new' version against the other two.
[asin]B000005GSB[/asin]
Something unexpected, this arrived today. I've thrown it on and it sounds...pretty wonderful. I can see why Elgarian is less enthused with the singing - it does not have the same weightiness (best word I could come up with). But it is beautiful singing and I suspect this may characterize her portion if she sings this way throughout. There is a purity to the voice that I find appealing. The orchestra and chorus are marvellous, and hit all the right notes (so to speak). So far, I am enjoying this thoroughly. I'll wait a while to listen a few times and see if I have the same reaction over time (and once I've had some time with it).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 24, 2012, 06:18:42 PM
Something unexpected, this arrived today. I've thrown it on and it sounds...pretty wonderful. I can see why Elgarian is less enthused with the singing - it does not have the same weightiness (best word I could come up with). But it is beautiful singing and I suspect this may characterize her portion if she sings this way throughout. There is a purity to the voice that I find appealing. The orchestra and chorus are marvellous, and hit all the right notes (so to speak). So far, I am enjoying this thoroughly. I'll wait a while to listen a few times and see if I have the same reaction over time (and once I've had some time with it).

Your comments have made consider this one as well. I've always enjoyed Hickox's conducting, especially in choral music.

On another note, I received A LOT of Elgar recordings I purchased many days ago. So many recordings to hear! As far as packaging goes, this Andrew Davis The Starlight Express set looks absolutely fantastic. It comes in a box, not a chubby jewel case, and has great, thick booklet that I can't wait to read through as I'm listening to the recording. The Gibson recordings all looked pretty basic as they're Chandos Select budget issues. The Elder recordings also look great. I like the off-white design of the artwork. Very cool. 8)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 24, 2012, 06:49:55 PM
The Elder recordings also look great. I like the off-white design of the artwork. Very cool. 8)

Agreed.  :) How good is that Elder recording of Gerontius? I'm contemplating it based on some positive reviews.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Velimir on December 24, 2012, 07:46:34 PM
Agreed.  :) How good is that Elder recording of Gerontius? I'm contemplating it based on some positive reviews.

I received it today, but I haven't heard a note of it. I'll definitely report here once I've given it a listen.

Mirror Image

Added these recordings to my Elgar collection tonight: