Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

The great thing about Elgar is there's such a multitude of works in his oeuvre that reveal the many different sides of his musical persona and there's not one less than inspired moment in any of the works I have heard, which is, as I have posted, quite a long list. I'm being careful not to reach burnout like have done with many of my other favorite composers, so right now I'm finishing up Symphony No. 1 with Slatkin/LPO and will return to Elgar later on tonight with my first listen to Caractacus. 8)

Mirror Image

I greatly enjoyed Caractacus. I found it much more dramatic than The Light of Life and, in my opinion, it's a better work. Now to listen to the Severn Suite.

Lisztianwagner

How many cds does the Elgar/Elder series comprise? What I've listened to is splendid so far, did Sir Elder record all Elgar's orchestral and choral works?
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 08, 2014, 04:26:26 AM
How many cds does the Elgar/Elder series comprise? What I've listened to is splendid so far, did Sir Elder record all Elgar's orchestral and choral works?

:) Let's see so far he has recorded the following:

Symphonies 1 & 2
In the South (Alassio)
Falstaff
Introduction & Allegro
Cello Concerto
Violin Concerto
Enigma Variations
Serenade for Strings
Dream Children
Froissart Overture
Chanson de Matin
Romance for Bassoon
The Music Makers
The Kingdom
The Apostles
The Dream of Gerontius

This, I believe, is all that he has recorded so far. If you look at Elgar's oeuvre, then you'll find he still has many works to go. I'm not sure if he'll complete this cycle, but one can only hope he records The Spirit of England, Sea Pictures, or even Caractacus. He hasn't recorded the a lot of the miniatures either like Sospiri or Carissima. We could definitely use a new recording of Scenes from the Saga of King Olaf. Anyway, again, so much to record, especially if you look at his oeuvre.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2014, 06:59:58 AM

Symphonies 1 & 2
In the South (Alassio)
Falstaff
Introduction & Allegro
Cello Concerto
Violin Concerto
Enigma Variations
Serenade for Strings
Dream Children
Froissart Overture
Chanson de Matin
Romance for Bassoon
The Music Makers
The Kingdom
The Apostles
The Dream of Gerontius

This, I believe, is all that he has recorded so far. If you look at Elgar's oeuvre, then you'll find he still has many works to go. I'm not sure if he'll complete this cycle, but one can only hope he records The Spirit of England, Sea Pictures, or even Caractacus. He hasn't recorded the a lot of the miniatures either like Sospiri or Carissima. We could definitely use a new recording of Scenes from the Saga of King Olaf. Anyway, again, so much to record, especially if you look at his oeuvre.
Cockaigne Overture

If Elder records Sea Pictures I hope he uses Alice Coote. I love her voice, and her Angel in their Gerontius is sublime.

Karl Henning

I definitely need to look into Elder's Gerontius. (Elder . . . Gerontius . . . almost feels like a redundancy  8) )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 08, 2014, 07:05:16 AM
If Elder records Sea Pictures I hope he uses Alice Coote. I love her voice, and her Angel in their Gerontius is sublime.

+1

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on January 08, 2014, 07:09:23 AM
I definitely need to look into Elder's Gerontius. (Elder . . . Gerontius . . . almost feels like a redundancy  8) )

You should, Karl. The quality of life would greatly improve from it. Ok, that might be a bit off, but you'd enjoy it!  8)

Mirror Image

I admit to not fully appreciating The Dream of Gerontius, but Part II contains some of the most inspired music Elgar ever composed IMHO. I'm going to try and find time to listen to Elder's recording again today, but, right now, I think it's time for another dosage of the Violin Concerto (Tasmin Little/A. Davis). 8)

71 dB

Yesterday I listened to The Banner of St. George + the other works in the Hickox disc. I haven't listened to it for YEARS. It was a very pleasant "rediscovery."

Quote from: karlhenning on January 08, 2014, 07:09:23 AM

My copy of "The Dream of Elder" arrived today! However, now listening to Jonny L's In A Jungle (British drum 'n' bass) since it also arrived today.  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on January 08, 2014, 08:27:11 AM
Yesterday I listened to The Banner of St. George + the other works in the Hickox disc. I haven't listened to it for YEARS. It was a very pleasant "rediscovery."

Excellent, good to hear. Have you heard King Olaf? I've been quite curious about this one for awhile.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2014, 08:31:32 AM
Excellent, good to hear. Have you heard King Olaf? I've been quite curious about this one for awhile.

Yeah, I have Vernon Handley. I rank Scenes from the Saga of King Olaf somewhere near The Light of Life.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on January 08, 2014, 08:50:51 AM
Yeah, I have Vernon Handley. I rank Scenes from the Saga of King Olaf somewhere near The Light of Life.

Ah okay. Well this means I'll enjoy it then. :) Don't me wrong, I did enjoy The Light of Life despite my lukewarm reception of it. It's a good work just not a great work IMHO, but worth hearing again certainly.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2014, 06:59:58 AM

Symphonies 1 & 2
In the South (Alassio)
Falstaff
Introduction & Allegro
Cello Concerto
Violin Concerto
Enigma Variations
Serenade for Strings
Dream Children
Froissart Overture
Chanson de Matin
Romance for Bassoon
The Music Makers
The Kingdom
The Apostles
The Dream of Gerontius

You forgot Cockaigne Overture, it is comprised in the set along with Enigma Variations and Serenade for Strings. :) Elder is a wonderful elgarian interpreter, what a pity he hasn't recorded all the orchestral and choral works; but of course you're right, recording the oeuvre of a prolific composer is always a titanic work.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 08, 2014, 01:22:55 PM
You forgot Cockaigne Overture, it is comprised in the set along with Enigma Variations and Serenade for Strings. :) Elder is a wonderful elgarian interpreter, what a pity he hasn't recorded all the orchestral and choral works; but of course you're right, recording the oeuvre of a prolific composer is always a titanic work.

Damn, I knew I was forgetting something. You can't name them all, especially in such a large series. :) Yes, Elder is a wonderful Elgarian as he truly understands the psychological and dramatic aspects of the music as well, if not better, than another other conductor working today. No joke. He's serious about Elgar and he should be! 8)

In other news, I'm revisiting Solti's Elgar, and though I've spoken harshly of it earlier, I'm finding it very enjoyable this time around from the perspective that Solti seems to have brought out the Mahlerian/Wagnerian undertows of the music. Speaking of Cockaigne Overture, I'm enjoying his performance of it right now. Solti is definitely bending my ears into different directions.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2014, 01:51:59 PM
Damn, I knew I was forgetting something. You can't name them all, especially in such a large series. :) Yes, Elder is a wonderful Elgarian as he truly understands the psychological and dramatic aspects of the music as well, if not better, than another other conductor working today. No joke. He's serious about Elgar and he should be! 8)

In other news, I'm revisiting Solti's Elgar, and though I've spoken harshly of it earlier, I'm finding it very enjoyable this time around from the perspective that Solti seems to have brought out the Mahlerian/Wagnerian undertows of the music. Speaking of Cockaigne Overture, I'm enjoying his performance of it right now. Solti is definitely bending my ears into different directions.

Haha, sure. ;) I don't know if Elder is the best Elgarian I've ever heard since I've actually listened only to him, Davis and Solti, plus Bernstein for the Enigma Variations; but he's certainly one of the finests, I agree his performances seem to perfectly capture the spirit, the qualities of Elgar's music and to make you beautifully dive into the pictures and the emotions those works can evoke. I love Solti's recordings of Symphonies 1 & 2, Cockaigne, In the South and some of the Pomp and Circumstance marches, they are full of passionate energy and harmonic beauty.

I sometimes wonder about how much of Elgar's music is known in Italy, apart from Pomp and Circumstance; I remember when I once mentioned him to a friend of mine, he said: "That Englishman mad for marches?". That left me a little stunned.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 08, 2014, 02:38:21 PM
Haha, sure. ;) I don't know if Elder is the best Elgarian I've ever heard since I've actually listened only to him, Davis and Solti, plus Bernstein for the Enigma Variations; but he's certainly one of the finests, I agree his performances seem to perfectly capture the spirit, the qualities of Elgar's music and to make you beautifully dive into the pictures and the emotions those works can evoke. I love Solti's recordings of Symphonies 1 & 2, Cockaigne, In the South and some of the Pomp and Circumstance marches, they are full of passionate energy and harmonic beauty.

I sometimes wonder about how much of Elgar's music is known in Italy, apart from Pomp and Circumstance; I remember when I once mentioned him to a friend of mine, he said: "That Englishman mad for marches?". That left me a little stunned.

I'll say it's rather unfortunate that some people only know the Pomp & Circumstance Marches which are nothing but ceremonial/patriotic works, which so many other composers of the time composed as well. It's like only associating Sibelius with Finlandia for example. Oh, how the Finns must be tired of this work by now. :) Anyway, if anyone one of your Italian friends is interested in Elgar tell them to listen to In the South (Alassio), which was inspired by one of his stays there. You can see the sun and feel that Mediterranean heat throughout this work and I think they'll enjoy it. If they don't, then tell them to go listen to some Puccini or Verdi! ;) ;)

As I mentioned earlier, I think Andrew Davis is another fine Elgarian who has, time and time again, shown his credentials for this composer. His newer Philharmonia recordings are absolutely blistering and they've been mentioned here several times by myself and several others. I think, especially in the larger works, Elder equips himself very well and, as I also mentioned before, his performance of The Kingdom left me absolutely speechless. If you haven't heard The Kingdom or even The Apostles, Ilaria, then please remedy this as soon as possible! You'll enjoy them I think.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2014, 02:51:05 PM
I'll say it's rather unfortunate that some people only know the Pomp & Circumstance Marches which are nothing but ceremonial/patriotic works, which so many other composers of the time composed as well. It's like only associating Sibelius with Finlandia for example. Oh, how the Finns must be tired of this work by now. :) Anyway, if anyone one of your Italian friends is interested in Elgar tell them to listen to In the South (Alassio), which was inspired by one of his stays there. You can see the sun and feel that Mediterranean heat throughout this work and I think they'll enjoy it. If they don't, then tell them to go listen to some Puccini or Verdi! ;) ;)

As I mentioned earlier, I think Andrew Davis is another fine Elgarian who has, time and time again, shown his credentials for this composer. His newer Philharmonia recordings are absolutely blistering and they've been mentioned here several times by myself and several others. I think, especially in the larger works, Elder equips himself very well and, as I also mentioned before, his performance of The Kingdom left me absolutely speechless. If you haven't heard The Kingdom or even The Apostles, Ilaria, then please remedy this as soon as possible! You'll enjoy them I think.

Yes, it's very unfair and depressing when a composer is only associated with one or few other pieces, the best example coming to my mind is Strauss Father and his Radetzky-Marsch. About Elgar, Pomp & Circumstance is certainly a gorgeous, majestic series of marches, but it's not his most beautiful work, it's merely the most famous; there's much more in Elgar's repertoire! Thank you for your suggestions, I listened to the first disc of The Kingdom some days ago, tomorrow I'll finish it and then I'll continue with The Apostles I haven't heard yet; I'll write my toughts on those compositions on the thread. :) Haha, that sounds like a punishment....'go to listen to Verdi or Puccini'! (Well, it could be in my case) ;D

Sure, Davis is excellent too, I've had my eyes on his box of Elgar's orchestral works for quite a little time!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 08, 2014, 03:35:05 PM
Yes, it's very unfair and depressing when a composer is only associated with one or few other pieces, the best example coming to my mind is Strauss Father and his Radetzky-Marsch. About Elgar, Pomp & Circumstance is certainly a gorgeous, majestic series of marches, but it's not his most beautiful work, it's merely the most famous; there's much more in Elgar's repertoire! Thank you for your suggestions, I listened to the first disc of The Kingdom some days ago, tomorrow I'll finish it and then I'll continue with The Apostles I haven't heard yet; I'll write my toughts on those compositions on the thread. :) Haha, that sounds like a punishment....'go to listen to Verdi or Puccini'! (Well, it could be in my case) ;D

Sure, Davis is excellent too, I've had my eyes on his box of Elgar's orchestral works for quite a little time!

Thankfully, real classical fans know there's more to a composer than their popular works. 8) I look forward to reading your thoughts on both of these oratorios. They certainly as masterworks in my opinion and there's so much great music within them. Elgar's orchestration, also, is in a class of its' own.

Davis' first go-around was very good indeed. His performance of The Music Makers may be the best I've heard so far, but Elder's gives him a run for his money. Of course, there's Boult, which I need to revisit, but recall enjoying. The Dream of Gerontius is one of the only works that hasn't quite made an impact on me (yet), but I'm going to revisit again tonight.

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread -

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2014, 05:15:07 PM
Bought these Elgarian beauties today:

Does anyone own any of these recordings? Hickox in Elgar is an automatic purchase from me. 8) I love his conducting and I love his approach to Elgar and all the major 20th Century British composers for that matter. The Thomson recordings was a no-brainer as I remember liking his symphony recordings several years ago. He has a slower approach to Elgar, which occasionally robs the music's intensity, but he makes up for it in the shimmering orchestral details he's able to coax from the score. The Mackerras was pretty a no-brainer, too, because I was aware of his performance of Sea Pictures with Della Jones several years ago and loving what he brought to the music. In the symphonies, from what I've gathered from various reviews, he's not was fast as Solti, but is somewhere in the same vicinity as Hickox's interpretations. And finally, hearing Solti in the Enigma Variations should be interesting to say the least. :) Anyway, looking forward to hearing all of these.