Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 10, 2014, 09:15:04 AM
Ah, okay. Well, it will be cool to have this version for that very fact, although, as I said, it's going to be very hard to shake off the impact Teresa Cahill has had on me in the Gibson performance, but you never know.
P75 of this thread is where we discussed two of the versions. You might want to wait and hear it before reading the comments.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 10, 2014, 09:28:49 AM
P75 of this thread is where we discussed two of the versions. You might want to wait and hear it before reading the comments.

Thanks, Neal. 8)

Mozart Dave

I have tried to find a discussion about Elgar's Hillside but it's completely irrelevent to this conversation. All I know that he's a great musician! I heard his songs before and I really liked them.

David

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mozart Dave on January 10, 2014, 11:14:40 AM
I have tried to find a discussion about Elgar's Hillside but it's completely irrelevent to this conversation. All I know that he's a great musician! I heard his songs before and I really liked them.

David

Are you referring to his Part-Songs for chorus? If yes, then this is the only blind spot for me in his oeuvre.

Mirror Image

I'm listening to Tasmin Little's performance of the Violin Concerto yet again. What an incredible performance and one that surpasses my previous favorite: Kennedy/Handley. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I think Little brings so much more emotion to this work than any other violinist I've heard. I also think A. Davis' conducting is also more driven than Handley's.

[asin]B0044FEZDA[/asin]

For those that love this concerto, and haven't bought Little's performance yet, then do not hesitate. A must hear.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 10, 2014, 02:46:48 PM
I'm listening to Tasmin Little's performance of the Violin Concerto yet again. What an incredible performance and one that surpasses my previous favorite: Kennedy/Handley. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I think Little brings so much more emotion to this work than any other violinist I've heard. I also think A. Davis' conducting is also more driven than Handley's.

For those that love this concerto, and haven't bought Little's performance yet, then do not hesitate. A must hear.

YES!  I have that Tasmin Little recording and am listening to the concerto @ the moment - have always enjoyed!

Above, I've added a few 'considerations', i.e. would like to acquire some more Elgar recordings - the twofer w/ Sinopoli has been well reviewed on Amazon and w/ good comments here; also, I know nothing about Sol Gabetta but the reviews are excellent - any comments on these potential purchases?  Thanks - Dave :)

Mirror Image

Excellent, Dave. Yeah, Little really shines in this performance. I love her playing. As for your questions, I'm not a great fan of Sinopoli's Elgar recordings. I don't favor his slower tempi and I think his performances feel lethargic to me. He doesn't get to the point in a full-blooded way. I can't fault Philharmonia's performances however as they are remarkable in Elgar, but I don't like Sinopoli's direction. If you're looking for some great newer performances of the symphonies, then look now further than the Davis/Philharmonia set on Signum:

[asin]B0036U24UK[/asin]

I have not heard that Sol Gabetta recording, but of recent performances I've heard of the CC I like Watkin/A. Davis on Chandos. Of course, the definitive performance remains du Pre's performance with Barbirolli, but I'm still on the lookout for different performances of the CC.

Mirror Image

For what it's worth, Dave, I just bought that Gabetta recording of the CC. I'll definitely report my thoughts once I've heard it in it's entirety. I listened to some samples of it via Spotify and was completely captivated. Gabetta's tone and overall feeling, from the 4 minutes I listened to of the first movement, sounded first-rate.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 10, 2014, 05:12:02 PM
For what it's worth, Dave, I just bought that Gabetta recording of the CC. I'll definitely report my thoughts once I've heard it in it's entirety. I listened to some samples of it via Spotify and was completely captivated. Gabetta's tone and overall feeling, from the 4 minutes I listened to of the first movement, sounded first-rate.

Thanks John for your comments on the Andrew Davis symphony recordings - just read an excellent review by Dubins in Fanfare - he highly recommended the CD and felt it was now one of his favorites in those Elgar works - mentioned 'live' performances, so I hope that there is not too much raucous clapping - put on my Amazon Wish List @ the moment.

As to Sol Gabetta, there was also a Fanfare review (which I've attached for those interested) - rather negative, so I will skip acquiring her recording of the cello concerto (the two I now own, shown in a previously post, are just fine w/ me).  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Well, since I'm going through my Elgar collection, might as well mentioned the vocal works that I own - The Apostles & The Dream of Gerontius - both of these are more modern recordings (i.e. first decade of this century) and live - now I've not heard some of the older 'classics', like Boult; SO, among the experienced Elgarians here, any top favs for these oratorios?  Thanks - Dave :)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 11, 2014, 07:51:17 AM
Well, since I'm going through my Elgar collection, might as well mentioned the vocal works that I own - The Apostles & The Dream of Gerontius - both of these are more modern recordings (i.e. first decade of this century) and live - now I've not heard some of the older 'classics', like Boult; SO, among the experienced Elgarians here, any top favs for these oratorios?  Thanks - Dave :)

I've haven't listened to Apostles enough to call one a favorite... but the Elder/Halle recording of Gerontius is hands-down my tops. Beautifully recorded sound, and Alice Coote as the Angel is just divine.

71 dB

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 11, 2014, 08:29:29 AM
... but the Elder/Halle recording of Gerontius is hands-down my tops. Beautifully recorded sound, and Alice Coote as the Angel is just divine.

I try to listen to it now. Nowadays it's harder for me to listen to Elgar. I was a "whole" person 15 years ago but life has broken me. I am uneasy, tired, frustrated and bitter. It's hard to get in the mood for great art anymore. I try... ...maybe I don't listen to Elgar enough and that's why I am uneasy?

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Just finished listening to Elder's Gerontius.

In my opinion the strings (most important in Elgar's music) are too quiet compared to other instrument and the singers. I feld a few times strings got masked under other sounds. Part II/There was a mortal... started very slowly. I would have prefered faster tempi. Apart from these complaints this is a great performance.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 11, 2014, 08:29:29 AM
Alice Coote as the Angel is just divine.

Yes, she's excellent. It's just that the soloist are so loud compared to the strings.  :-\

SonicMan46

Hi Poju - hope that Elgar's music perked you up a bit - maybe just the winter?  But thanks for the comments on the oratorio - I need to listen to the ones I own but the Elder does appear to be an excellent choice.  Dave :)  P.S. also thanks Greg for the recommendation!

Quote from: 71 dB on January 11, 2014, 11:13:40 AM
I try to listen to it now. Nowadays it's harder for me to listen to Elgar. I was a "whole" person 15 years ago but life has broken me. I am uneasy, tired, frustrated and bitter. It's hard to get in the mood for great art anymore. I try... ...maybe I don't listen to Elgar enough and that's why I am uneasy?

Quote from: 71 dB on January 11, 2014, 01:10:39 PM
Just finished listening to Elder's Gerontius.

In my opinion the strings (most important in Elgar's music) are too quiet compared to other instrument and the singers. I feld a few times strings got masked under other sounds. Part II/There was a mortal... started very slowly. I would have prefered faster tempi. Apart from these complaints this is a great performance.

Yes, she's excellent. It's just that the soloist are so loud compared to the strings.  :-\

71 dB

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 11, 2014, 02:06:56 PM
Hi Poju - hope that Elgar's music perked you up a bit - maybe just the winter? 

Listening to the Gerontius did have quite a possitive effect on me. Winter has finally started in Southern Finland and there's a thin layer of snow outdoor. Winter is not to blame for my angst.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 11, 2014, 07:36:57 AM
Thanks John for your comments on the Andrew Davis symphony recordings - just read an excellent review by Dubins in Fanfare - he highly recommended the CD and felt it was now one of his favorites in those Elgar works - mentioned 'live' performances, so I hope that there is not too much raucous clapping - put on my Amazon Wish List @ the moment.

As to Sol Gabetta, there was also a Fanfare review (which I've attached for those interested) - rather negative, so I will skip acquiring her recording of the cello concerto (the two I now own, shown in a previously post, are just fine w/ me).  Dave :)

The applause in the Andrew Davis recording is after the performance of each symphony and it's certainly well deserved. He absolutely burned down the house in those performances. I've been singing praises for these recordings for quite some time.

As for the Sol Gabetta recording review being negative, I don't really care. I take what most critics say with a grain of salt. I listened to some of the recording today actually (about 15 minutes or so) and thought it was absolutely gorgeous and so lyrically haunting. That's the way I like hearing this concerto. I don't enjoy reserved performances because the work is unabashedly Romantic in it's expressiveness and I believe it should be played this way with every emotion rung out. As I wrote earlier, I certainly was enchanted with what she brought to the music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 11, 2014, 07:51:17 AM

I rank Elder's recordings very highly, but just curious why are you leaving out The Kingdom? This is a major work make no mistake about it. People here may disagree, but I felt every note in this work and it just hit me like a ton of bricks emotionally. There is a vulnerability in the music that, especially in The Sun Goeth Down movement, where it recalls the haunting lyricism of Sospiri. Anyway, you can't go wrong with Elder in any of these oratorios. But I have yet to hear any of Hickox's performances and Boult's Elgar doesn't do much for me. I keep hearing Barbirolli's Gerontius is top-shelf, but I have yet to investigate that recording. It has Janet Baker as the Angel, so how bad could it be? ;) 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on January 11, 2014, 11:13:40 AM

I've learned to worry about things that are within my control and forget the rest. Plus, I can't let something come between me and the music. A day without music, for me, is just out of the question. It should never be a difficult thing to enjoy one of your favorite composers. Hope tomorrow finds you in better spirits.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2014, 05:43:44 PM
I've learned to worry about things that are within my control and forget the rest. Plus, I can't let something come between me and the music. A day without music, for me, is just out of the question. It should never be a difficult thing to enjoy one of your favorite composers. Hope tomorrow finds you in better spirits.

Thanks MI! The weekends help me a lot to recover from work.

Believe me, I have learned to ignore things not within my control. Call me a heartless person, but I don't worry anymore much about the conflicts in the Middle East or how tribes kill each other in Africa. Those conflicts aren't the reason why I feel how I feel. My problem is my damn job. These days it's so difficult to have another job (thanks to the f*cking globalization and competition) I can't just quit. What's wrong with my job? My bosses. They handle their employees like machines. I constantly feel I am not good enough no matter how hard I try and work. That's why I am tired and frustrated. I would have had a good life if I didn't have to work. But because I don't play lottery (I'm too mathematical to allow myself to pay such stupidity tax), I'm doomed to suffer.

I do listen to music a lot! I need music a lot to compensate the misery caused by my job. It's just not so often Elgar anymore and I have realised why. Life has partly destroyed a part of me that is important with music like Elgar. I can get in the mood but it's as easy as it used to be because I need to forget the horrors of my job. I feel something beautiful has broken inside my and I am bitter for that. How on earth can employers do that to me and others? We have legislation for protecting employees but it doesn't protect from psychological torture. All I can do is work out the door and live unemployed in poverty.

Lately, thanks to these discussions I have "found" Elgar again and I will listen to his music more. Actually I got "frustrated" with Elgar some 10 years ago before my current job because I tried so hard to get other people to get interested of Elgar, but as we know Elgar is very difficult (I'm still wondering why) composer for many to appreciate. I didn't undertand that, since Elgar's music won my hearth so easily. So, Elgar became a contradictory thing for me. On the other hand it was among the most wonderful music I know and on the other hand it was a nuisance demonstrating my dissimilarity with other people. I felt I was born to educate people about Elgar (in Finland) and since other people wheren't willing to get into Elgar, I felt I have failed as a person. The thruth is I was naive about educating other people. I am much wiser today. I don't kibitz anymore. If someone is interested of Elgar, I am ready to help them.

Frankly there is so much other music than Elgar. Even if Elgar is superior to everything else, most of my music listening is with other music. Before I got into classical music late 90's I had been listening to "modern dance music" for a decade. I still love and listen to that music. Most people are completely in the dark about what happened in "modern dance music" between 1988 and 1992. Those 5 years were revolutionary in music history. Music got from acid house to hardcore rave/breakbeat. In late 90's I listened to "modern dance music" and classical music only. In 2001 I started to get into pop and (soft) rock. Then I found new age around 2005, but 2008 was the year of two big discoveries: Tangerine Dream and King Crimson. That was huge! In 2011 I found Carly Simon which was pretty unexpected since I never though I would like country/folk -kind of music, but Carly Simon is an amazing talent. Exploring her albums blew me away. At that point, couple of years ago I felt I had crossed the line. I am able to enjoy almost any kind of music. I don't have preconceptions about music anymore. I am not a music racist anymore. The music itself is what counts, not the instrumentation or style. Any music artist in the world may be my favorite, but I am also very selective. Liking King Crimson doesn't mean I like Pink Lloyd. Liking Carly Simon doesn't mean I like Carole King. Liking Tangerine Dream doesn't mean I like Kraftwerk. I don't, at least for now (not saying those artist suck, just that they aren't interesting enough).

The final step to have the craziest music taste in the world was to buy Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" album in 2012. I was like "what the hell am I doing?" but I just enjoy the music. But I didn't know what I has getting into when I got interested of Ke$ha last spring! During May 2013 I googled everything about Ke$ha and watched "My Crazy Beautiful Life" show on MTV. I was in a disoriented state of mind for a month because Ke$ha is an extraordinary person, a female Jesus "Ke$hus" as her fans call her. She is hated and criticized, but the haters don't know anything. Ke$ha might become the next Carly Simon. Now she is in Timberline Knoll getting help for her eating disorder, something all of her fans are shocked about. Life is so cruel...

Anyway, there is so much music to explore in the world. Even Elgar can't get most of my attention. ???

Mirror Image

Thank you for sharing all of this with me, 71 dB. The only thing I can think of is we can't help what we like at the end of the day. No matter what others say, if you enjoy something, then that's all that matters. It's always nice, however, to meet people who do enjoy some of the same composers, which there's plenty of this happening here on GMG, but don't feel like your alone with Elgar, because you're not. I may not have the experience of listening to Elgar as you do as I've only been listening to him for five years, but I've learned more in this past year about the composer than I ever had before and in the this process, I wound up loving the music as a result of listening and research. It wasn't instantaneous of course, but I knew there was so much more to this composer than what lay on the surface as is usually the case for so many great composers.