Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on June 01, 2014, 09:44:41 PM
Elgar: Symphony No 1                Philharmonia Orchestra/Barbirolli [rec 1962]
Elgar: Introduction and Allegro    Sinfonia of London w/ Allegri String Quartet/Barbirolli [rec 1962]

[asin] B000I0SGXA[/asin]

Very enjoyable. My favorite Elgar symphony! For some reason I am really drawn to the themes that recur throughout this symphony and definitely prefer it over E2 (for now that is  ;D). It was also my primary symphonic encounter with Elgar it is perhaps not surprising that I am more attuned to it.  Hmm, the last movement ends quite abruptly (based on my ears). Is that my imagination?
How do you guys like E1?

The Introduction and the Allegro were new to me and very enjoyable. I sense that there is much to explore in Elgar's compositions as long as one give it time.....

I like Elgar's 1st pretty good, but, for me, it will always be a symphony I like and not love, although I do love that last movement. You should hear Solti and the LPO rip that movement apart. Very impressive. I always had trouble with that slow movement in the 1st. For me, it really doesn't do much at all. It's certainly the weakest movement IMHO.

relm1

Is Elgar/Payne Symphony no. 3 worth getting?  Is it convincing reflection of Elgar's dramatic last stage?   

mc ukrneal

Quote from: relm1 on June 24, 2014, 11:04:24 PM
Is Elgar/Payne Symphony no. 3 worth getting?  Is it convincing reflection of Elgar's dramatic last stage?   
That's a tough one to answer. Whether you will like it because it is Elgar, albeit filtered through someone else, or dislike it because it is not quite as good as other Elgar, I don't know. I thought it a worthwhile listen, and there are some moments of real greatness, even if you don't feel it is sustained. You can give a listen on youtube.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

71 dB

Is Elgar/Payne Symphony no. 3 worth getting?
Yes, in my opinion it is worth getting. Great music.  :)

Quote from: relm1 on June 24, 2014, 11:04:24 PMIs it convincing reflection of Elgar's dramatic last stage?
Not 100 % of course, but it's what we have to live with and I rather live with it than without.  ;)

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Moonfish

Elgar: Violin Concerto                Hahn/LSO/Colin Davis

Fantastic! I have not paid much attention to Elgar's violin concerto before, but thoroughly enjoyed Hahn's rendition. Great stuff! It will need a second spin tomorrow. Of course, "The Lark Ascending" was sublime as always.

This (I think) was my first listen to Elgar's concerto and I was quite surprised by it beauty. The second and third movements in particular seemed very melancholic and Hahn certainly phrased the passages eloquently.  I have always enjoyed Hahn's performances so I am perhaps a bit biased. What are your favored versions of the violin concerto that one should hear?

[asin] B0002CX4Q8[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

71 dB

Quote from: Moonfish on July 10, 2014, 10:35:36 AM

Fantastic! I have not paid much attention to Elgar's violin concerto before, but thoroughly enjoyed Hahn's rendition. Great stuff! It will need a second spin tomorrow. Of course, "The Lark Ascending" was sublime as always.

This (I think) was my first listen to Elgar's concerto and I was quite surprised by it beauty. The second and third movements in particular seemed very melancholic and Hahn certainly phrased the passages eloquently.  I have always enjoyed Hahn's performances so I am perhaps a bit biased. What are your favored versions of the violin concerto that one should hear?

[asin] B0002CX4Q8[/asin]

Well, nice to hear you enjoyed the concerto. People don't always pay attention too much on Elgar and are surprised when they finally do.

I don't think I have a favorite version (maybe Dong-Suk Kang / Polish NRSO / Adrian Leaper / Naxos 8.550489) and to my own surprise I seem to have only four performances (I thought I had 6 or 7  ??? ). I haven't heard Hahn, unfortunately.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on July 10, 2014, 10:35:36 AM

[asin] B0002CX4Q8[/asin]

One general problem I have with this otherwise excellent recording from Hahn/Davis is Davis' insistent, ongoing moans and groans. For me, the greatest performance of Elgar's Violin Concerto is Tasmin Little/A. Davis on Chandos. This has all the drama, virtuosity, and flowing narrative that I expect from a performance of this masterwork. My second choice would be Nigel Kennedy/Handley on EMI.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2014, 08:52:24 PMFor me, the greatest performance of Elgar's Violin Concerto is Tasmin Little/A. Davis on Chandos. This has all the drama, virtuosity, and flowing narrative that I expect from a performance of this masterwork.
Maybe that one should be my fifth Elgar Violin Concerto.  ::)

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2014, 08:52:24 PMMy second choice would be Nigel Kennedy/Handley on EMI.
That one I have. I should revisited it... ...there is so much music it's hard to find time even for your favorite composers and when you do it might completely different works you end up listening.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on July 11, 2014, 01:32:25 AM
Maybe that one should be my fifth Elgar Violin Concerto.  ::)

It''s certainly a performance worth owning IMHO.

Quote from: 71 dB on July 11, 2014, 01:32:25 AMThat one I have. I should revisited it... ...there is so much music it's hard to find time even for your favorite composers and when you do it might completely different works you end up listening.

Yeah, I really enjoy this performance. Kennedy brings a fiery passion to this concerto.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 11, 2014, 06:27:31 PM
It''s certainly a performance worth owning IMHO.
It's been on my wishlist for a few years. It's even a SACD.  :P

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 11, 2014, 06:27:31 PMYeah, I really enjoy this performance. Kennedy brings a fiery passion to this concerto.
I'll listen to it again soon.  :)

vandermolen

Yes, definitely is my view.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Moonfish

Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius         Watts/Gedda/Lloyd/John Alldis Choir/London Philharmonic Choir/New Philharmonia O/Boult (rec 1975)

Continuing my Elgar journey with "The Dream of Gerontius". Unfortunately, I did not have access to the lyrics while listening to TDOG, but at least it allowed me to focus a bit more on the music rather than the content.  It is actually the first time I listened to the choral work, but I found it quite enchanting in its intricate beauty and varied vocal harmonies. From the very start the prelude was not at all what I expected from Elgar. It made wonder if I had placed the right disc in my player! The composition seems to have a very different soundscape compared to his symphonies. It seems more related to some of the movements in the violin concerto in its poetic thoughtfulness.  It was a beautiful experience making me wonder why I never have bothered to explore these works earlier in my life.
I understand that Sargent's 1945 version is revered among Elgar collectors. I have my eyes on the Pearl release. Would it be worthwhile seeking out a few other recordings of TDOG beyond Boult's rendition?  Which ones would you recommend?  I think TDOG needs a second spin this evening!!!   :)

[asin] B00000GCAV[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on July 30, 2014, 04:52:31 PM
Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius         Watts/Gedda/Lloyd/John Alldis Choir/London Philharmonic Choir/New Philharmonia O/Boult (rec 1975)

Continuing my Elgar journey with "The Dream of Gerontius". Unfortunately, I did not have access to the lyrics while listening to TDOG, but at least it allowed me to focus a bit more on the music rather than the content.  It is actually the first time I listened to the choral work, but I found it quite enchanting in its intricate beauty and varied vocal harmonies. From the very start the prelude was not at all what I expected from Elgar. It made wonder if I had placed the right disc in my player! The composition seems to have a very different soundscape compared to his symphonies. It seems more related to some of the movements in the violin concerto in its poetic thoughtfulness.  It was a beautiful experience making me wonder why I never have bothered to explore these works earlier in my life.
I understand that Sargent's 1945 version is revered among Elgar collectors. I have my eyes on the Pearl release. Would it be worthwhile seeking out a few other recordings of TDOG beyond Boult's rendition?  Which ones would you recommend?  I think TDOG needs a second spin this evening!!!   :)
Hallé & Elder is great, in wonderful sound, too.
[asin]B001IO152O[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

Quote from: North Star on July 30, 2014, 05:00:36 PM
[asin]B001IO152O[/asin]
Yessss!!!!

Mirror Image

[asin]B001IO152O[/asin]

+1 A wonderful performance.

TheGSMoeller

[asin]B001IO152O[/asin]

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 30, 2014, 06:11:47 PM
Yessss!!!!

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 30, 2014, 06:30:11 PM
+1 A wonderful performance.

Am I too late? One of my favorite discs of the past several years. Alice Coote has one of the loveliest voices I've heard.

Moonfish

I came across this interesting comparison of different versions of "The Dream of Gerontius":   (up to 1997)

http://www.elgar.org/3gerontr.htm
Anna Lappé

Karl Henning

Gerontius is a magnificent, exquisite work!  Heard it live here in Symphony Hall a few seasons back, and I still get residual chills.

This chat is reminding me that I have not yet listened to Britten's recording of the piece . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Moonfish on July 30, 2014, 10:58:14 PM
I came across this interesting comparison of different versions of "The Dream of Gerontius":   (up to 1997)

http://www.elgar.org/3gerontr.htm

Hmm, unfortunately sections 7. and 8. appear to be dead links.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on July 31, 2014, 05:54:19 AM
Hmm, unfortunately sections 7. and 8. appear to be dead links.
Not at my end, but if they don't work, just scroll down. ;)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr