Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Elgar: The Kingdom Op 51             Price/Minton/Young/Shirley-Quirk/London Philharmonic Choir & Orchestra/Boult

I am having my very first exposure to The Kingdom. Elgar certainly has a unique auditory fingerprint as he weaves the strands of the orchestra and chorus throughout the work. I have become attuned to The Dream of Gerontius over the last year so I cannot help but to compare the two compositions. The Kingdom seems more chaotic (structure), but is filled with brilliant light in so many passages. There is such a solid warm core in these works that I have begun to admire in so many ways. I find myself very much enjoying the listening experience. Elgar is such an underrated composer!

[asin] B00000DOAK[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

You should definitely check out Elder's performance of the The Kingdom, Moonfish. You'll thank me later. ;) ;D

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2015, 02:15:27 PM
You should definitely check out Elder's performance of the The Kingdom, Moonfish. You'll thank me later. ;) ;D

Hmm, how is Elder's performance of TDOG? Do you think these recordings (Hallé) ever will be issued as a set or will they remain solitary stars floating in the ether?

Note: I see that you already answered the last question in the PT thread.  ;)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on January 03, 2015, 02:30:43 PM
Hmm, how is Elder's performance of TDOG? Do you think these recordings (Hallé) ever will be issued as a set or will they remain solitary stars floating in the ether?

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2015, 02:20:26 PM...as I mentioned to you on the Elgar thread, you've got to check out Elder's Elgar series with the Halle Orchestra. Hopefully, one day, they'll box up the series and this would certainly make it convenient for the collector who hasn't explored this series yet.

8)

But to answer your first question (as I've already answered the second one), I think Elder's performance is jaw-dropping. One of the most magnificent performances I know of Gerontius.

Leo K.

Quote from: Moonfish on January 03, 2015, 01:24:08 PM
Elgar: The Kingdom Op 51             Price/Minton/Young/Shirley-Quirk/London Philharmonic Choir & Orchestra/Boult

I am having my very first exposure to The Kingdom. Elgar certainly has a unique auditory fingerprint as he weaves the strands of the orchestra and chorus throughout the work. I have become attuned to The Dream of Gerontius over the last year so I cannot help but to compare the two compositions. The Kingdom seems more chaotic (structure), but is filled with brilliant light in so many passages. There is such a solid warm core in these works that I have begun to admire in so many ways. I find myself very much enjoying the listening experience. Elgar is such an underrated composer!

[asin] B00000DOAK[/asin]

Wonderful and true description of this great choral work, I'm new to it too and LOVE it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on January 03, 2015, 08:43:14 PM
Wonderful and true description of this great choral work, I'm new to it too and LOVE it.

It's a Leo sighting! I hope all is well with you my friend. I hope you had a nice holiday season.

Here's a difficult question for all my fellow Elgarians, if you had to take one Elgar work to the desert island, what would it be and why?

Mirror Image

I think the work I'd take to that desert island is a pretty obvious one, especially after this post I made via the 'Listening' thread:

QuoteAs for why I like Symphony No. 2, allow me to be a bit indulgent here. I suppose a lot of has to do with how I relate to the music and what I actually perceive therein. I think the work has the whole gamut of the human experience in 60 something minutes. It's the second movement, Larghetto, that is the centerpiece of the whole symphony and the movement I most identify with. I think there is an incredible loneliness in this movement. The same loneliness I feel when I sigh and think about how I'm merely marking time and don't really know what to do. It's like he's trying to feel a void that can never be filled. It's like an emptiness and the only way to deal with it is through reflection and by tying up loose emotional ends of the past. Words can't actually do justice to the emotional weight this whole symphony carries for me. I really relate to Elgar's music because the music itself feels like it has this hard, outer shell, but what lay underneath is this whole universe of humanity and what it actually means to feel the myriad of experiences that come our way.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2015, 08:47:17 PM
It's a Leo sighting! I hope all is well with you my friend. I hope you had a nice holiday season.

Here's a difficult question for all my fellow Elgarians, if you had to take one Elgar work to the desert island, what would it be and why?

Well, I am an Elgar rookie, but I would bring "The Dream of Gerontius" with me. The work has continuously surprised me in its ability to make me more interested in its soundscape. The music of TDOG resonates with me. It would be my desert island work (although I may change my mind after a longer and more extensive journey in Elgar's realm).  :)
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Leo K. on January 03, 2015, 08:43:14 PM

Thanks Leo! I'm glad that I am not the only one encountering new experiences in this thread. Elgar has surprised me quite a bit as a composer.
Anna Lappé

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2015, 09:08:46 PM
I think the work I'd take to that desert island is a pretty obvious one, especially after this post I made via the 'Listening' thread:
Hi John! happy new year my friend! Great and amazing post regarding your love for Elgar's 2nd.

I would choose the 2nd Symphony too. My wife and I recently moved to the cold winter state of Minnesota and I'm starting a new job. Elgar has been the tonic to help get through a whole new environment and experience,  especially listening to the 2nd Symphony.

It took a while for this work to click but now it's like a revelation - how didn't I hear these melodies and harmonies before? The structure of the 2nd is such an organic symphonic experience and profoundly moving.

I've been listening to many recordings and love them all, it would be hard to choose a favorite.

Leo K.

Quote from: Moonfish on January 03, 2015, 11:11:10 PM
Thanks Leo! I'm glad that I am not the only one encountering new experiences in this thread. Elgar has surprised me quite a bit as a composer.
He has surprised me too. His music is so unique and original, it's a wonder!

71 dB

Quote from: Moonfish on January 03, 2015, 11:11:10 PMElgar has surprised me quite a bit as a composer.
Quote from: Leo K. on January 04, 2015, 12:10:25 AMHe has surprised me too. His music is so unique and original, it's a wonder!

I discovered Elgar's music in 1997. It hit me really hard, harder than any other composer. I started to praise Elgar to everyone and to me disappointment people were not enthusiastic at all. Years later I became a member of GMG. During these years I have noticed how some people find the greatness of Elgar when they give him a good chance. Every time someone finds Elgar's true genius I feel good. I don't feel so strongly I'm insane calling Elgar the greatest* composer of all time alongside J.S.Bach.  8)

People find Elgar on their own term and time - if they ever do. Moonfish & Leo K.: glad you have gotten into Elgar  8)

and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

North Star

Quote from: 71 dB on January 04, 2015, 05:12:33 AMI don't feel I'm not completely insane calling Elgar the greatest* composer of all time alongside J.S.Bach.
I agree that it is not possible to not be insane and think this.  8)

Elder's Elgar is indeed excellent.

Oh, and here are two pieces which ought to be mentioned more often: The Music Makers and Falstaff.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on January 04, 2015, 12:07:29 AM
Hi John! happy new year my friend! Great and amazing post regarding your love for Elgar's 2nd.

I would choose the 2nd Symphony too. My wife and I recently moved to the cold winter state of Minnesota and I'm starting a new job. Elgar has been the tonic to help get through a whole new environment and experience,  especially listening to the 2nd Symphony.

It took a while for this work to click but now it's like a revelation - how didn't I hear these melodies and harmonies before? The structure of the 2nd is such an organic symphonic experience and profoundly moving.

I've been listening to many recordings and love them all, it would be hard to choose a favorite.

Thank you, Leo! :) Good to hear Elgar's 2nd affects you as well. Like you, it took some time for this work to really make sense and to finally take ahold of me, but when it did, many of his other works that I always enjoyed sounded even better. Such a remarkable composer.

Good luck to you on your new job and your new life in Minnesota.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on January 03, 2015, 10:44:33 PM
Well, I am an Elgar rookie, but I would bring "The Dream of Gerontius" with me. The work has continuously surprised me in its ability to make me more interested in its soundscape. The music of TDOG resonates with me. It would be my desert island work (although I may change my mind after a longer and more extensive journey in Elgar's realm).  :)

Well, for what it's worth, I'm glad you're a fan and it's going to be great to hear your thoughts on all of these works that are awaiting you. I had always enjoyed Elgar but when he finally clicked with me, I fell in love with the music. I think one of the works that really brought his emotional world to my attention and turned me from an admirer into a dedicated Elgarian was The Spirit of England.

71 dB

Quote from: North Star on January 04, 2015, 05:33:15 AM
I agree that it is not possible to not be insane and think this.  8)

I was visiting my parents and  I had to suddenly finish my message fast, because another person wanted to check her emails... I edited my message now. Damn it's difficult to express myself correctly sometimes!  ::)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 04, 2015, 06:25:00 AM
...it took some time for this work [2nd symphony] to really make sense and to finally take ahold of me, but when it did, many of his other works that I always enjoyed sounded even better. Such a remarkable composer.

I remember it took 6-7 listenings for me to "fully" understand the symphony. I think I understood about 40 % on the first listening and I knew it's going to be mindblowing after a few more times. The more I explored Elgar, the easier it was to "get" a new works because Elgar's musical language got familiar. You must be meaning this saying works that you enjoyed already sounded even better, right?

That seems to be Elgar's "problem". Many people evaluate him thinking his musical language is rather simple (e.g. "pompastic"), when it's not. On the other hand, Elgar is able to really surprise those who are willing to explore him harder.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 04, 2015, 06:28:18 AM
I had always enjoyed Elgar but when he finally clicked with me, I fell in love with the music. I think one of the works that really brought his emotional world to my attention and turned me from an admirer into a dedicated Elgarian was The Spirit of England.

I listened to The Spirit of England (Gibson/Cahill) again yesterday. I noticed that Cahill uses quite a lot of vibrato. The recording also suffers from quite of strong noise floor considering it was done in 1976. Lott (Hickox's version) uses vibrato too, but somehow her vibrato suites the work better. Maybe I simply find Cahill too emotional?  ::)

I also listened to the Piano Concerto "realised" by Robert Walker. Purists can say whatever they want, but I find it a very enjoyable concerto that sounds very Elgarian.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on January 04, 2015, 07:59:46 AM
I remember it took 6-7 listenings for me to "fully" understand the symphony. I think I understood about 40 % on the first listening and I knew it's going to be mindblowing after a few more times. The more I explored Elgar, the easier it was to "get" a new works because Elgar's musical language got familiar. You must be meaning this saying works that you enjoyed already sounded even better, right?

That seems to be Elgar's "problem". Many people evaluate him thinking his musical language is rather simple (e.g. "pompastic"), when it's not. On the other hand, Elgar is able to really surprise those who are willing to explore him harder.

I listened to The Spirit of England (Gibson/Cahill) again yesterday. I noticed that Cahill uses quite a lot of vibrato. The recording also suffers from quite of strong noise floor considering it was done in 1976. Lott (Hickox's version) uses vibrato too, but somehow her vibrato suites the work better. Maybe I simply find Cahill too emotional?  ::)

I also listened to the Piano Concerto "realised" by Robert Walker. Purists can say whatever they want, but I find it a very enjoyable concerto that sounds very Elgarian.

Yes, I meant that when Symphony No. 2 finally clicked with me and the other works I had heard, and already enjoyed, really opened up to me in a completely new way. As for your preference for Lott/Hickox in The Spirit of England that's certainly okay with me, I simply can't find much in that performance by the way of emotional depth. Cahill may have such and such imperfections or the recording quality may not be as good as it could have been, but this remains an emotional listening experience for me for the simple reason that I feel that all involved with the work believed in the music and put their absolute heart into it. I'm not looking for a polished performance when I listen to Elgar or really any composer whose music means a lot to me, I'm looking for a commitment from the musicians. That's enough to make to take notice and, in turn, feel hopefully what they felt when performing the work.

I haven't heard the Piano Concerto yet, but I honestly don't have much interest in it since it was realized by someone else other than Elgar.

Mirror Image

As for people not realizing how brilliant Elgar was, I think it's really just a matter of, like you said, 71 dB, people not wanting to understand the complexity of the musical language and not really digging enough into his oeuvre to find anything out for themselves. I always knew there was something more to this composer than what his 'ceremonial' works otherwise tell us. When I first heard a work like the Cello Concerto or Sea Pictures, I was completely taken aback by how sophisticated of a composer he actually was and how his music contains so many musical avenues to explore. Just when you think you have a certain work figured out, he hits you from a completely different direction altogether that you weren't expecting at all.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on January 03, 2015, 01:12:23 PMThat said, King Olaf has it's charm to us Elgarians as you said.  ;)

Which would be reason enough for me to want to give it a listen. Looking forward to the new Andrew Davis recording of it.