Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 07, 2015, 05:34:36 PM
I'd love to read some opinions on Falstaff. What do you guys think of this work? I used to have some difficulty with it but this alleged 'difficulty' seems to have subsided thanks on account of Andrew Davis' fantastic performance with the BBC SO on Warner. Earlier today, I went back and listened to Barbirolli's only to find so much more richness in the score. I'm pretty excited about the prospect of hearing Boult conduct this work. Anyone have any favorite performances of Falstaff or interesting stories to share?
Falstaff, especially the opening section, reminds me of the opening of the second symphony - I love Barbirolli's incredible recording. I like Simon Rattle's account too. I had difficulty with it at first, but a couple years on (after clicking with the 2nd Symphony) Falstaff became accessible and is one of my favorite Elgar works.

Moonfish

Quote from: Leo K. on January 12, 2015, 12:23:16 PM
The Elgar/Harrison account of Elgar's Cello Concerto is a wonder - my appreciation for Elgar as a conductor grows immeasurably with each listen - that includes his recording of the Violin Concero with Menuhin, wow, great music making!

Yes, the Menuhin VC was indeed a treat!  :)  I need to listen to Harrison/Elgar soon. Are you listening to the set of Elgar's electrical recordings, Leo?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Leo K. on January 12, 2015, 12:30:08 PM

Wow wow wow, an amazing recording of the string quartet and piano quintet!

Temptations!!!!   :'( :'( >:D ???
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Leo K.

Quote from: Moonfish on January 12, 2015, 12:43:04 PM
Yes, the Menuhin VC was indeed a treat!  :)  I need to listen to Harrison/Elgar soon. Are you listening to the set of Elgar's electrical recordings, Leo?

Yes I am, the first time with it, and I love this box!

Listening to the Falstaff recording now, it is so amazing to hear Elgar's interpretation, wow!

Elgarian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 12, 2015, 12:38:27 PM
How have the fields of Elgar been treating you? :)

Well, you know how it goes: ups and downs, but Elgarish things always up.

I hope you're alright too, Neal?

Elgarian

Oh that is a lovely couple of recordings you've got there! Super performances of two of my favourite Elgar works

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Elgarian on January 12, 2015, 01:02:42 PM
Well, you know how it goes: ups and downs, but Elgarish things always up.

I hope you're alright too, Neal?
Yes. Quite well!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

This recording came in the mail a few days ago. I have yet to give it a spin. Can't wait to hear it.

Mirror Image

Do any of my fellow Elgarians have the John Bridcut BBC documentary on Elgar The Man Behind The Mask uploaded and saved to their computer so they can share it with me? I would be most grateful. Someone had on YouTube and it was taken down. :(

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 12, 2015, 09:22:10 PM
Do any of my fellow Elgarians have the John Bridcut BBC documentary on Elgar The Man Behind The Mask uploaded and saved to their computer so they can share it with me? I would be most grateful. Someone had on YouTube and it was taken down. :(

I wish! Hopefully Bridcut's film will be officially released on DVD soon... ? Did you like Ken Russell's film?
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on January 12, 2015, 11:10:37 PM
I wish! Hopefully Bridcut's film will be officially released on DVD soon... ? Did you like Ken Russell's film?

I haven't seen Ken Russell's film but I really don't have any interest in his work. The Bridcut documentary, however, is my cup of tea and I'd love to be able to see it again.

jfdrex

Curiously, Bridcut's documentaries on Delius and Vaughan Williams both are up on YouTube in their entirety.  But, alas, only the frustratingly briefest of trailers for his Elgar film. :(

https://www.youtube.com/v/b6tbjgbXP8s

Mirror Image

It seems that the documentary titled Britten's Endgame (one of two Britten documentaries of Bridcut's) has been taken down as well.

André

How many times did Adrian Boult record the symphonies ? I see two recordings in the 30-disc box, from 1949 and 1972. If I read correctly, the Lyrita versions date from 1968. And there is a Nixa/Westminster issue from around 1956.

A lifelong Boult advocate, I have often found his pre-1955ish interpretations rather brusque and sometimes overdriven. Conversely his post-1970 recordings varied from great (Elgar) to tired (Brahms).Therefore I would surmise that the Nixa and Lyrita are likely to be candidates for best pick. Any ideas ?

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 13, 2015, 03:49:43 PM
How many times did Adrian Boult record the symphonies ? I see two recordings in the 30-disc box, from 1949 and 1972. If I read correctly, the Lyrita versions date from 1968. And there is a Nixa/Westminster issue from around 1956.

A lifelong Boult advocate, I have often found his pre-1955ish interpretations rather brusque and sometimes overdriven. Conversely his post-1970 recordings varied from great (Elgar) to tired (Brahms).Therefore I would surmise that the Nixa and Lyrita are likely to be candidates for best pick. Any ideas ?

He also recorded the two symphonies in 76/77 live with the BBC Symphony Orchestra.

jfdrex

It's something of a truism that Boult generally identified more closely with Elgar's 2nd symphony than with the 1st, but my listening to various of his recordings of both symphonies over the years seems to bear this out.  On the whole, I do find his recordings of the 2nd to be more satisfying, on the whole, than those of the 1st.

In any case, there are at least six recordings by Boult of Elgar's Symphony No. 2:

BBC Symphony Orchestra, 1944   (EMI; currently available on Beulah)
LPO, 1956   (Nixa)
Scottish National Orchestra, 1963   (Waverly LP; Classics for Pleasure LP.)
LPO, 1968   (Lyrita)
LPO, 1976   (EMI)
BBC SO, 1977   (recorded live at the Proms, Royal Albert Hall; currently available on ICA)

I've heard all of these except the 1956 (Nixa).  The 1976 EMI version is usually singled out as the "default" choice.  (And it's my wife's favorite recording of this symphony.)  It's certainly not "tired"; quite the contrary--Boult manages to distill a wonderful mix of energy and wisdom.  But I'm also impressed by the 1944 performance, even though the sound leaves something to be desired.  And I would not want to be without the 1968 recording either.

(As for the 1963 SNO recording--I've only heard a rip of the LP, once; that's not enough for me to give a considered judgement of that version.)

Mirror Image

Quote from: jfdrex on January 13, 2015, 05:59:49 PM
It's something of a truism that Boult generally identified more closely with Elgar's 2nd symphony than with the 1st, but my listening to various of his recordings of both symphonies over the years seems to bear this out.  On the whole, I do find his recordings of the 2nd to be more satisfying, on the whole, than those of the 1st.

In any case, there are at least six recordings by Boult of Elgar's Symphony No. 2:

BBC Symphony Orchestra, 1944   (EMI; currently available on Beulah)
LPO, 1956   (Nixa)
Scottish National Orchestra, 1963   (Waverly LP; Classics for Pleasure LP.)
LPO, 1968   (Lyrita)
LPO, 1976   (EMI)
BBC SO, 1977   (recorded live at the Proms, Royal Albert Hall; currently available on ICA)

I've heard all of these except the 1956 (Nixa).  The 1976 EMI version is usually singled out as the "default" choice.  (And it's my wife's favorite recording of this symphony.)  It's certainly not "tired"; quite the contrary--Boult manages to distill a wonderful mix of energy and wisdom.  But I'm also impressed by the 1944 performance, even though the sound leaves something to be desired.  And I would not want to be without the 1968 recording either.

(As for the 1963 SNO recording--I've only heard a rip of the LP, once; that's not enough for me to give a considered judgement of that version.)

Yes, it does seem that Boult had an affinity for Symphony No. 2. I just bought a set containing the 1956 Nixa-Westminster performance, so hopefully I can share my thoughts of this one soon. I know Andre can tell us a bit more about it. I seem to recall from the 'Listening' thread that he enjoyed the performance.

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 13, 2015, 03:53:19 PM
He also recorded the two symphonies in 76/77 live with the BBC Symphony Orchestra.

These recordings are mindblowing, especially the 1976 Elgar 1st. The 1977 suffers from bad sound, but it is still amazing and I'm glad I have it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on January 13, 2015, 06:40:17 PM
These recordings are mindblowing, especially the 1976 Elgar 1st. The 1977 suffers from bad sound, but it is still amazing and I'm glad I have it.

Cool, Leo. 8) Have you heard the 1956 recording of the 2nd on Nixa-Westminster? I'm quite anxious to hear this one as there's so much competition even with Boult's own numerous performances.

Leo K.

Quote from: Moonfish on January 06, 2015, 06:19:41 PM
Tonight's Elgar quota:

Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius     Nash/Ripley/Noble/Walker/Huddersfield Choral Society/Liverpool PO/Sargent

The very first recording of TDoG from April 1945.  I am getting a bit addicted to this work by now....   ;)
It is my second listen to this specific Sargent recording and I definitely prefer it to his later one. Nash's voice is wonderful as Gerontius and the performance moves forward with urgency and passion. The war was not yet over in Europe and perhaps some of the spirit of the sorrow and pain of the war effort moved into the performance?  Not in the top tier, but definitely worthwhile. The sound has a little bit lack of resolution, but it is fantastic for being a 1945 recording (really!).

[asin] B000003XKH[/asin]

Walter Essex wrote a great comparative review of TDoG...
This is a wonderful recording, I agree! I listened to this today and was caught up with the orchestral details, pacing,  and lovely turns of phrasing. Thanks for the heads up on this one.