Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 13, 2015, 06:45:21 PM
Cool, Leo. 8) Have you heard the 1956 recording of the 2nd on Nixa-Westminster? I'm quite anxious to hear this one as there's so much competition even with Boult's own numerous performances.
That's one I don't have (yet) - I look forward to what you think about it :)

Moonfish

Interesting Russian version of TDoG's prelude by USSR SO/Svetlanov from 1983. I like its slow pace. Very solemn although expressing the power a bit differently! The horn section was blazing!  :P

The full recording of TDoG is being released next month in the UK on the Melodiya label. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/v/pKBLhzxxgBc
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Leo K. on January 13, 2015, 06:48:37 PM
This is a wonderful recording, I agree! I listened to this today and was caught up with the orchestral details, pacing,  and lovely turns of phrasing. Thanks for the heads up on this one.
You're welcome! It was a delightful surprise for me as well. Definitely a rendition I will listen to over and over.  :)   How did you like the cello concerto with Tortelier?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Has anybody here heard Batten's early abridged version of TDoG from the 1920s?

Anna Lappé

Elgarian

Quote from: Leo K. on January 12, 2015, 12:23:16 PM
The Elgar/Harrison account of Elgar's Cello Concerto is a wonder - my appreciation for Elgar as a conductor grows immeasurably with each listen - that includes his recording of the Violin Concero with Menuhin, wow, great music making!

One of my most treasured musical memories comes from an occasion, some years ago, when I was visiting Elgar's birthplace cottage. There's a room downstairs which contains Elgar's desk, a bookcase full of his books, and so on - and one of the gramophones he'd owned (dating from about 1926 I think). There's a small window overlooking the garden. I'd taken with me the Harrison/Elgar recording of the cello concerto and a pair of headphones, and I stood in that room in late afternoon and listened to it while looking out of the window, his gramophone by my side - on which Elgar himself would have listened to the same recording.

The combination of music and location was sheer magic. The elegiac character of the music and the intensely personal associations - with both Elgar and Harrison effectively there in the room with me (as far as my ears were concerned) - were overwhelming. I've listened to the recording many times, and been to Elgar's birthplace many times too, but that afternoon ... that was unforgettable, and unrepeatable.

Moonfish

Quote from: Elgarian on January 14, 2015, 01:09:57 AM
One of my most treasured musical memories comes from an occasion, some years ago, when I was visiting Elgar's birthplace cottage. There's a room downstairs which contains Elgar's desk, a bookcase full of his books, and so on - and one of the gramophones he'd owned (dating from about 1926 I think). There's a small window overlooking the garden. I'd taken with me the Harrison/Elgar recording of the cello concerto and a pair of headphones, and I stood in that room in late afternoon and listened to it while looking out of the window, his gramophone by my side - on which Elgar himself would have listened to the same recording.

The combination of music and location was sheer magic. The elegiac character of the music and the intensely personal associations - with both Elgar and Harrison effectively there in the room with me (as far as my ears were concerned) - were overwhelming. I've listened to the recording many times, and been to Elgar's birthplace many times too, but that afternoon ... that was unforgettable, and unrepeatable.

Such a beautiful and precious memory, Elgarian! It is even magical to read!
Anna Lappé

Leo K.

Quote from: Elgarian on January 14, 2015, 01:09:57 AM

That is truly a precious memory, thank you for sharing that!

Leo K.

The Dream of Gerontius is getting to me, in particular Sargent's account on EMI (1945)...wow, stunning, the themes are always running though my mind.

Leo K.

Quote from: Moonfish on January 13, 2015, 11:17:51 PM
You're welcome! It was a delightful surprise for me as well. Definitely a rendition I will listen to over and over.  :)   How did you like the cello concerto with Tortelier?

I haven't heard the Tortelier yet but will soon :)

Leo K.

The 1976 Boult/BBC of the Elgar 1st fills me with awe, it is powerful.

Moonfish

Quote from: Leo K. on January 14, 2015, 01:30:30 PM
The Dream of Gerontius is getting to me, in particular Sargent's account on EMI (1945)...wow, stunning, the themes are always running though my mind.

I know what you mean Leo. TDoG haunts my own mind as well, but it is a pleasant flow of music!  :)
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Elgar: Symphony No 1         LPO/Boult    (1968)

Symphony No 1 is seemingly getting listened to a lot lately!
Excellent performance. I can see why this recording has received accolades by the Elgarians at GMG. It is brilliant in its power and phrasing. Boult seems to start off in an unusually slow fashion but builds the phrases so beautifully as it progresses.  I have to listen to it again, but it comes across as a true gem worthy of being on the top tier of Elgar's first symphony. Beauty incarnated. Ah, the sadness and melancholy in the theme gets me each time it returns. I was definitely mesmerized by this performance!
Thanks for bringing my attention to this recording, MI/John!

Peter

[asin] B000PGTIBQ[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Elgarian

Quote from: Leo K. on January 14, 2015, 04:05:07 PM
The 1976 Boult/BBC of the Elgar 1st fills me with awe, it is powerful.

There are bits of audience noise here and there, which might trouble some folks - but it doesn't stop it being my recording of choice.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on January 14, 2015, 09:50:58 PM
Elgar: Symphony No 1         LPO/Boult    (1968)

Symphony No 1 is seemingly getting listened to a lot lately!
Excellent performance. I can see why this recording has received accolades by the Elgarians at GMG. It is brilliant in its power and phrasing. Boult seems to start off in an unusually slow fashion but builds the phrases so beautifully as it progresses.  I have to listen to it again, but it comes across as a true gem worthy of being on the top tier of Elgar's first symphony. Beauty incarnated. Ah, the sadness and melancholy in the theme gets me each time it returns. I was definitely mesmerized by this performance!
Thanks for bringing my attention to this recording, MI/John!

Peter

[asin] B000PGTIBQ[/asin]

You're welcome, Peter! I knew you would enjoy it. 8)

Moonfish

Picked up this dvd recording of TDoG today. It will be interesting to "see" it after listening to a plentitude of different versions. Has anybody viewed this film?

[asin] B000G1ALG6[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 12, 2015, 09:22:10 PM
Do any of my fellow Elgarians have the John Bridcut BBC documentary on Elgar The Man Behind The Mask uploaded and saved to their computer so they can share it with me? I would be most grateful. Someone had on YouTube and it was taken down. :(

John,
I just noticed that the film is available at BRO for $8.99!!   Go and get yourself a copy!    8)

Peter
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius     Nash/Ripley/Noble/Walker/Huddersfield Choral Society/Liverpool PO/Sargent

Ahh, I couldn't help myself. I had to hear Sargent ('45) once more....   *deep sigh of satisfaction*
The sound could be a little bit better, but I am not complaining. I think the performance is marvelous!

[asin] B000003XKH[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Elgar: Cello Concerto      Beatrice Harrison/New Symphony Orchestra/Elgar  (1928)

Definitely a magical top tier performance from Harrison! From now on this one will live next to my du Pré/Barbirolli recording! I was quite surprised at how good the sound was as this is a 1928 recording (it sounds more like a decent 50s one). Regardless, Harrison's playing was mesmerizing, graceful, vibrant and it certainly weaved an Elgarian incantation as the concerto progressed. I am so happy that you suggested this performance, Elgarian.  Thank you! It is a gem! 

The photo below was taken at the recording of the cello concerto!!!
Erratum: The photo was taken during a different recording in November 1920.

from
[asin] B004MSRDK6[/asin]
Anna Lappé

jfdrex

Re. John Birdcut's film Elgar: The Man Behind the Mask -- I've just discovered this print interview:

http://www.musicfilmweb.com/2010/11/john-bridcut-behind-elgars-mask/

This comment in particular caught my attention:

"One of the pieces we feature in the film is Sospiri, which is a very short piece, not at all well known. But it's the most Mahlerian piece that he ever wrote. It's incredibly anguished and full of longing"

Indeed it is.  In fact, I've long thought of Sospiri as Elgar's "counterpart," if you will, to the Adagietto of Mahler's Fifth Symphony.  But, as far as I can recall, I had not heard or read of anyone else remarking on this similarity.  Surely other listeners, musicians, and critics must have been struck by the similarities between these two pieces.

An intriguing coincidence: Henry Wood conducted the English premiere of the adagietto of the Mahler Fifth in 1909.  (The full symphony was not performed in England until 1945.)  And Wood conducted the premiere of Sospiri some five years later (15 August 1914).  Did he make a connection between the two works, I wonder.