Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: Moonfish on February 13, 2015, 08:42:34 AM
I haven't heard these, but I have many other Naxos releases which I enjoy immensely. Most of all Robert Barto's recordings of Weiss (stellar indeed)!  :)

I collected the first 5 volumes of Barto's Weiss. Then I asked myself how many volumes I need and stopped collecting. Solo lute music is not perhaps my cup of tea...

Quote from: Moonfish on February 13, 2015, 08:42:34 AMas well as a number of other recordings (mostly baroque [Marias, St Columbine]). Most likely I will pick up #1 and #2 one day, although I suspect that I won't search them out. Naxos reminds me a bit of CPO in their efforts to record repertoire, and perhaps that is why I admire the label. They certainly used to be much cheaper in the past....

Yes, Naxos prices went up some 5 years ago and it's hard to buy the newer releses! The older releases can't be cheaper on Amazon marketplace. I actually managed to buy Tchaikovsky's violin concerto (my first!) by Kaler/Yablonsly on Naxos for £0.01 + shipping => 2,39 euros. I'm looking to getting into Honegger. The Naxos discs of Honegger's 3rd is £2.23 on marketplace, but doesn't ship to Finland!! Very annoying. The cheapest copy to ship outside UK is £3.64. To make things worse, euro has become weak currency thanks to all that Greek financial failures and other problems, so buying from UK has got expensive. German Amazon is not an option because their shipping rates for marketplace is a joke, 8 euros maybe... ...my bank changed my credit card form Visa to Mastercard and that new card isn't working in play.com! Nothing helps! I am so angry! I don't know what to do with Honegger. There are options but I can't choose.

Quote from: Moonfish on February 13, 2015, 08:42:34 AMI actually recently got the 3rd symphony you mentioned in your post but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

It's a very good performance imo and these is no Boult/Barbirolli to compare it against.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

TheGSMoeller

Hey, 71db, I hope things brighten up for you soon.  :)

Naxos actually has a great collection of Elgar's music, including some important chamber/piano/choir music that isn't as readily available as other works, but they are worth a purchase. Especially hearing Enigma in the composer's own piano transcription...

[asin]B0013JZ4FI[/asin]
[asin]B000GNOHKU[/asin]
[asin]B0007ORDUO[/asin]
[asin]B000H4VZDK[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on February 13, 2015, 08:16:41 AM
It's not about differing opinions. It's about people behaving as if the Naxos performances didn't exist. Very often it happens that people are talking about performances I don't have and I haven't heard while ignoring all those performances I do have and know. It makes me feel an outsider. I always feel an outsider everywhere I go. It is really frustrating when nobody has your frequency. I try to feel the frequency on Elgar threat but I don't. I try to feel the frequency on Tangerine Dream forum but I don't. There is always more differences than similarities with other people. I belong nowhere. It is really hard. Currently I am laid off from work. I hate my job. I feel everything goes wrong despite of my efforts. My hero Edgar Froese died. So, maybe my rant is venting of my frustation. Sorry.

Let me respond to you first by saying that I have no problems with Naxos recordings and actually admire many of their recordings for years now. It seems that you are completely 'pro-Naxos' and that's certainly fine and I applaud your efforts for doing so, but this, however, doesn't mean that I'm not going to listen to the performances with the same critical ears that I have for all other labels just because it's Naxos. I don't really have a preference for labels. I have preferences for the performances and, for me, there are much better performances of Elgar's two symphonies than the Downes and Hurst ones on Naxos.

I understand you're going through a rough patch right now and I do hope it gets better, but there's no need to take anything I'm writing here personally. It's merely one man's opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. Best of luck to you.

Moonfish

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 13, 2015, 04:14:53 PM

Naxos actually has a great collection of Elgar's music, including some important chamber/piano/choir music that isn't as readily available as other works, but they are worth a purchase. Especially hearing Enigma in the composer's own piano transcription...

Interesting! Thanks for posting those Greg! I think I am going to take a closer look at the last recording....  0:)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Speaking of Elgar on Naxos, this is one of my favorites from their series:

You see, 71 dB, I don't hate Naxos! :P

Elgarian

About the Paul Daniel Elgar 3:

Quote from: 71 dB on February 13, 2015, 09:13:16 AM
It's a very good performance imo and these is no Boult/Barbirolli to compare it against.

I've never found the Daniel performance of the the third symphony to be lacking in any sense, and to be honest I'd be quite unable to decide which of the available versions is the 'best' - whatever that might mean - even if I wanted to. As you say, because of the nature of the work, there is no established performance history to compare it against, so the only resistance I found I needed to overcome is the psychological inertia arising from the issue of how much it matters that it's only partly Elgar. For a long time the Naxos disc was the only one I had, and it was the one through which I grew to know the work.

Elgarian

Here's another Naxos Elgar disc I've been very fond of. I admit I've been influenced by the story behind the making of the recording (that is, Lamsma's winning of a prize - which was to make a Naxos recording - and her choosing to make an all-Elgar disc). I suppose I think her performance (thinking primarily of the violin sonata) lacks something in delicacy and nuance, but it has a vigour that convinces me to keep listening on its own terms, and I wouldn't want to be without it.

71 dB

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 13, 2015, 04:14:53 PM

Thanks! For some reason I felt very frustyrated yesterday. I'm feeling better today and my posts are hopefully more friendly and relaxed.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 13, 2015, 04:14:53 PMNaxos actually has a great collection of Elgar's music, including some important chamber/piano/choir music that isn't as readily available as other works, but they are worth a purchase. Especially hearing Enigma in the composer's own piano transcription...

[asin]B0013JZ4FI[/asin]
[asin]B000GNOHKU[/asin]
[asin]B0007ORDUO[/asin]
[asin]B000H4VZDK[/asin]
I have all of these. The "Marches" disc is probably my least favorite of these and "Orchestral miniatures" most played.

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2015, 06:54:51 PM
Let me respond to you first by saying that I have no problems with Naxos recordings and actually admire many of their recordings for years now. It seems that you are completely 'pro-Naxos' and that's certainly fine and I applaud your efforts for doing so, but this, however, doesn't mean that I'm not going to listen to the performances with the same critical ears that I have for all other labels just because it's Naxos. I don't really have a preference for labels. I have preferences for the performances and, for me, there are much better performances of Elgar's two symphonies than the Downes and Hurst ones on Naxos.

I understand you're going through a rough patch right now and I do hope it gets better, but there's no need to take anything I'm writing here personally. It's merely one man's opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. Best of luck to you.
I don't think I'm completely 'pro-Naxos', but I do own ~500 Naxos discs. Naxos became a gigantic label within a few decades and it's difficult to avoid that label if you enjoy classical music. There are things about Naxos I don't care about so much. Naxos tends of concentrate on certain random projects while ignoring many other fields of classical music. It took Naxos really long to release Fauré's chamber (beyond the violin sonatas) music for example. In the 90's Naxos had one Buxtehude disc (Membra Jesu nostri, which is excellent imo). Then they started to release Buxtehude and it meant a dozen discs within a few years! So, Naxos is a label of unexpected bursts.

Anyway, I have noticed that Naxos performances sound rarely "weird". Naxos concentrates on the music itself rather than the artists and I like that approach, even if the artists aren't always the best ever. At least there is less "diva mentality".

Of course Naxos has the same critical ears listening as other labels. I don't mind if people find certain Naxos releases mediocre or even bad. It was the ignorance of the label's existance that gets on my nerves sometimes.

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2015, 07:00:31 PM
Speaking of Elgar on Naxos, this is one of my favorites from their series:

You see, 71 dB, I don't hate Naxos! :P
Yes, that is a lovely disc indeed! I have played it many times.  ;)

Quote from: Elgarian on February 14, 2015, 12:46:44 AM
About the Paul Daniel Elgar 3:

I've never found the Daniel performance of the the third symphony to be lacking in any sense, and to be honest I'd be quite unable to decide which of the available versions is the 'best' - whatever that might mean - even if I wanted to. As you say, because of the nature of the work, there is no established performance history to compare it against, so the only resistance I found I needed to overcome is the psychological inertia arising from the issue of how much it matters that it's only partly Elgar. For a long time the Naxos disc was the only one I had, and it was the one through which I grew to know the work.

I believe there is no bad performance of Elgar/Payne 3rd out there. Andrew Davis' performance has perhaps more edge and spark while Paul Daniel has a soft silky feel. It depents on the movement, which approach I prefer. These are the 'historical' recordings the future recordings are compared to. All old historical recordings were brand new once.

Quote from: Elgarian on February 14, 2015, 01:03:23 AM

Here's another Naxos Elgar disc I've been very fond of. I admit I've been influenced by the story behind the making of the recording (that is, Lamsma's winning of a prize - which was to make a Naxos recording - and her choosing to make an all-Elgar disc). I suppose I think her performance (thinking primarily of the violin sonata) lacks something in delicacy and nuance, but it has a vigour that convinces me to keep listening on its own terms, and I wouldn't want to be without it.

Somehow I haven't bought that one yet.   :-X

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on February 14, 2015, 02:21:27 AMI have all of these. The "Marches" disc is probably my least favorite of these and "Orchestral miniatures" most played.
I don't think I'm completely 'pro-Naxos', but I do own ~500 Naxos discs. Naxos became a gigantic label within a few decades and it's difficult to avoid that label if you enjoy classical music. There are things about Naxos I don't care about so much. Naxos tends of concentrate on certain random projects while ignoring many other fields of classical music. It took Naxos really long to release Fauré's chamber (beyond the violin sonatas) music for example. In the 90's Naxos had one Buxtehude disc (Membra Jesu nostri, which is excellent imo). Then they started to release Buxtehude and it meant a dozen discs within a few years! So, Naxos is a label of unexpected bursts.

Anyway, I have noticed that Naxos performances sound rarely "weird". Naxos concentrates on the music itself rather than the artists and I like that approach, even if the artists aren't always the best ever. At least there is less "diva mentality".

Of course Naxos has the same critical ears listening as other labels. I don't mind if people find certain Naxos releases mediocre or even bad. It was the ignorance of the label's existance that gets on my nerves sometimes.
Yes, that is a lovely disc indeed! I have played it many times.  ;)

Again, for me, it's not about a label, but about the performances and, most important of all, the music.

TheGSMoeller

Znaider in the Elgar VC with Colin Davis conducting. Any thoughts on this performance? I'm reading some positive reviews but not familiar with the soloist.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 14, 2015, 07:44:49 AM
Znaider in the Elgar VC with Colin Davis conducting. Any thoughts on this performance? I'm reading some positive reviews but not familiar with the soloist.

I think it's one of the more disappointing performances of the VC. It seems all the life is sucked out of the music and Znaider doesn't make a very compelling soloist IMHO. There's just a disconnect in this performance. I highly recommend the Tasmin Little/A. Davis recording on Chandos (if you haven't heard it already). It gets my vote for the best performance of this concerto. Other favorites: both Kennedy recordings (Handley, Rattle) on EMI.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 14, 2015, 07:47:49 AM
I think it's one of the more disappointing performances of the VC. It seems all the life is sucked out of the music and Znaider doesn't make a very compelling soloist IMHO. There's just a disconnect in this performance. I highly recommend the Tasmin Little/A. Davis recording on Chandos (if you haven't heard it already). It gets my vote for the best performance of this concerto. Other favorites: both Kennedy recordings (Handley, Rattle) on EMI.

Thanks, John. I have Kennedy/Rattle and Hilary Hahn's. Will checkout the Tasmin Little, Ive seen it mentioned here before.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 14, 2015, 07:35:11 AM
Again, for me, it's not about a label, but about the performances and, most important of all, the music.

I tend to get fond of certain brands, but the main reason why over 50 % of my classical CDs are Naxos is the price. If only BIS was priced similarly! CPO is another favorite label for me. Very interesting releases + good deals at jpc.de.  :)

My point was Hurst and Downes are scarcely mentioned when people talk about Elgar's symphonies. I see others don't care about those performances but for me these are "essential". I am struggling with Barbirolli because I don't hear clearly all the awesome stuff Elgar has in these symphonies (engineering problem I think but a problem nevertheless). Even David Hill's Gerontius on Naxos is good (not the best, but good) in my opinion and that performance is never mentioned in Gerontius discussions. That's why the most paranoid members may sense anti-Naxos vibes here.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: 71 dB on February 14, 2015, 10:07:50 AM
I tend to get fond of certain brands, but the main reason why over 50 % of my classical CDs are Naxos is the price. If only BIS was priced similarly! CPO is another favorite label for me. Very interesting releases + good deals at jpc.de.  :)

My point was Hurst and Downes are scarcely mentioned when people talk about Elgar's symphonies. I see others don't care about those performances but for me these are "essential". I am struggling with Barbirolli because I don't hear clearly all the awesome stuff Elgar has in these symphonies (engineering problem I think but a problem nevertheless). Even David Hill's Gerontius on Naxos is good (not the best, but good) in my opinion and that performance is never mentioned in Gerontius discussions. That's why the most paranoid members may sense anti-Naxos vibes here.

Hearing all the awesome stuff in his symphonies is essential, I agree. Which is a large reason for always considering Oramo's 2nd on BIS as a top choice. The 2nd is a score I've never looked at, and I began to hear harmonic lines and certain instruments that I never had heard with other recoridngs, it was as I was listening to the 2nd symphony for the first time. Elgar has a way of weaving melodies and harmonies around the orchestra, passing from one instrument to another. It's truly magical when you begin to experience the depth of these compositions through great audio engineering.

jfdrex

Speaking of Elgar on the Naxos label, Dong Suk Kang's recording of the Violin Concerto (with Adrian Leaper conducting the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra) is more than worth the price of admission.  Kang seems to have modeled his interpretation on that of Heifetz, more so than any other contemporary violinists whose recordings I've heard. 

Available paired either with the Cockaigne Overture or with the Sibelius Violin Concerto.

[asin]B0000013SM[/asin]

[asin]B00000146L[/asin]

(In his review, Santa Fe Listener seems to be setting us up for a blind listening test  "It would make a nice quiz to put this recording up against big-name accounts and see which one is preferred if the listening were blindfold.")

jfdrex

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 14, 2015, 08:04:21 AM
Will checkout the Tasmin Little...

Greg, for a preview of the Tasmin Little/ Andrew Davis recording, check out their performance of the concerto at the Proms in 2011:

https://www.youtube.com/v/GbeLqE1Pabk

Elgarian

Quote from: jfdrex on February 14, 2015, 11:48:47 AM
Speaking of Elgar on the Naxos label, Dong Suk Kang's recording of the Violin Concerto (with Adrian Leaper conducting the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra) is more than worth the price of admission.  Kang seems to have modeled his interpretation on that of Heifetz, more so than any other contemporary violinists whose recordings I've heard. 

Very interesting comment! Way back, a few years ago, when we were hammering through a range of discussions about performances of the VC (probably in this thread), Dong Suk Kang was my top recommendation as a very distinctive alternative to my old favourite Hugh Bean. I agree entirely with you: it's a cracking performance. Another Naxos winner to please 71dB.

Tasmin Little (mentioned above) also wins my admiration for a warm, mature reading of the VC.

71 dB

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 14, 2015, 10:22:58 AM
Hearing all the awesome stuff in his symphonies is essential, I agree. Which is a large reason for always considering Oramo's 2nd on BIS as a top choice. The 2nd is a score I've never looked at, and I began to hear harmonic lines and certain instruments that I never had heard with other recoridngs, it was as I was listening to the 2nd symphony for the first time. Elgar has a way of weaving melodies and harmonies around the orchestra, passing from one instrument to another. It's truly magical when you begin to experience the depth of these compositions through great audio engineering.

Thanks for the recommendation! The disc is even a SACD with is a plus.  :)

Quote from: jfdrex on February 14, 2015, 11:48:47 AM

[asin]B0000013SM[/asin]

That Naxos disc was my first Elgar CD. My father gave it to me as a Christmas gift in 1997. I had heard Enigma Variations on radio a few weeks earlier and I was talking to everybody how I had discovered this amazingly interesting composer. My father took my enthusiasm as a gift hint. Listening to the Violin Concerto for the first time confirmed it for me: Yes, Elgar is MY composer! So, this Naxos disc has a very special place in my heard. One of the most crucial CDs in my life! Even the cover art is bullseye and orange 'ELGAR' text looks so fresh against the dark blue/white color theme.  8)

71 dB

Tasmin Little has been on my wishlist ever since people here started to rave about it. I try to buy less CDs nowadays so it takes time to purchase all those million releases people recommend. Last year I bought only four Elgar CDs. I just ordered an 8 CD set of Bach's secular cantatas so I am not planning to do massive purchases for a while. There's some last Tangerine Dream releases I'd need to buy. It's not even a money issue. It's time issue. If I keep buying new CDs all the time, I don't have time to listen to all those great CDs cathering dust on my bookshelf. I still have three CDs of the nine CD jpc.de order in plastic wrapping I did last November. :D

Moonfish

Elgar: Sea Pictures             Baker/London SO/Barbirolli

Three times in a row!  8)   
This performance is quite addicting. Is it Baker's passion or is it just that the cadence fits so perfectly with the music itself? I guess we all return to this performance over and over for obvious reasons.  Any other special performances of Sea Pictures out there?

[asin] B000002RX7[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé