Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on February 14, 2015, 03:04:05 PM
Elgar: Sea Pictures             Baker/London SO/Barbirolli

Three times in a row!  8)   
This performance is quite addicting. Is it Baker's passion or is it just that the cadence fits so perfectly with the music itself? I guess we all return to this performance over and over for obvious reasons.  Any other special performances of Sea Pictures out there?

[asin] B000002RX7[/asin]

It seems that this Baker/Barbirolli performance is the one keeping this work alive and well. 8) I mean, sure, there are some other very good performances out there like the Sarah Connolly performances (both Naxos and Chandos). Bernadette Greevy on EMI w/ Handley and the LPO is also a very good one, but if there was ever a work contributed to Baker, it has to be Sea Pictures. It really doesn't get any better.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 14, 2015, 06:19:18 PM
I mean, sure, there are some other very good performances out there like the Sarah Connolly performances (both Naxos and Chandos)

Oh yes, how could I forget?! This is a very good Naxos disc, great sound as well. Probably my favorite Sea Pictures right behind Baker. And The Music Makers performance is top notch.
[asin]B000JBWUOE[/asin]

André

The Apostles. Boult (EMI). I think I prefer that version's engulfing vastness and elevation to Hickox's more dramatic ideation.

71 dB

Quote from: Moonfish on February 14, 2015, 03:04:05 PM

I listened to disc 5 of this set (Sea Pictures + Cello Concerto) today. Insprired by your post.  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: jfdrex on February 14, 2015, 12:02:14 PM
Greg, for a preview of the Tasmin Little/ Andrew Davis recording, check out their performance of the concerto at the Proms in 2011:

https://www.youtube.com/v/GbeLqE1Pabk

Fantastic. My goodness Little is talented, and her control of this piece is amazing. I was tempted to yell Bravo from my living room, but Elgar's ending easily provokes that kind of reaction.
Thanks for posting!

I found a few other videos of Little, performing and being interviewed. She seems like such a humble and joyful person.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 14, 2015, 06:53:18 PM
Oh yes, how could I forget?! This is a very good Naxos disc, great sound as well. Probably my favorite Sea Pictures right behind Baker. And The Music Makers performance is top notch.
[asin]B000JBWUOE[/asin]
And yet, the piece that is twice in length is not even given the smallest of recognition on the cover! That is a travesty!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Moonfish

Elgar: Piano Music (Enigma Variations/Dream Children/Sonatina/May Song)            Ashley Wass

A delightful surprise! In particular I was charmed by the short piano pieces (e.g. Sonatina as well as Dream Children) that were light, crisp, romantic and very charming. Perfect for the morning hours. The Enigma Variations were a bit more serious in its tone and thrust. An excellent piece of piano music, but I was still wishing for more of the Sonatina variety.  0:)   

The recording certainly gave me a different perspective on Elgar as I (like most people I presume) am used to the larger symphonic and choral works that dominate in the repertoire/canon. 

A great disk! Thanks for bringing it forward Greg:)

[asin] B000H4VZDK[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Albion

The Chandos King Olaf is a significant step up from the EMI version under Handley, chiefly because of the brilliant team of soloists: this is a glorious cantata which should be in the standard repertoire. The new recording of the best pre-Gerontius Elgar choral work (pace Caractacus) deserves wide acclaim - has any other member given it a spin yet?

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

71 dB

Glad to heard you enjoy Elgar's solo piano music Moonfish.  ;)

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 15, 2015, 12:13:55 PM
And yet, the piece that is twice in length is not even given the smallest of recognition on the cover! That is a travesty!

Well, that's only the extra cardboard around the CD (why Naxos use them with random releases I don't get...) and the "real" cover looks like this:

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 15, 2015, 10:18:51 AM
Fantastic. My goodness Little is talented, and her control of this piece is amazing. I was tempted to yell Bravo from my living room, but Elgar's ending easily provokes that kind of reaction.
Thanks for posting!

I found a few other videos of Little, performing and being interviewed. She seems like such a humble and joyful person.

I've known of Little's talent for years now, especially since she's such a hardcore Delian. 8) You should seek out her recording of Elgar's Violin Concerto with Andrew Davis. It is a stunner.

I love her personality, too. Seems so genuine and down-to-earth. Considering her musical ability, it's nice to know she doesn't suffer from the violin diva syndrome. :)

Leo K.

It's good to see more Elgar discussion again! I've aquired many more recordings of Elgar's 1 and 2, it's obsessive music, (like Mahler) because different performances reveal so many aspects of Elgar. I second the Osama E2. It's so different than my other current favorite, Barenboim with the Staatskapelle.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on February 15, 2015, 07:49:47 PM
It's good to see more Elgar discussion again! I've aquired many more recordings of Elgar's 1 and 2, it's obsessive music, (like Mahler) because different performances reveal so many aspects of Elgar. I second the Osama Oramo E2. It's so different than my other current favorite, Barenboim with the Staatskapelle.

Corrected. 8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 15, 2015, 07:52:17 PM
Corrected. 8)

Thank you!
This is the second time I got his name wrong!

jfdrex

Quote from: Moonfish on February 15, 2015, 12:17:56 PM
Elgar: Piano Music (Enigma Variations/Dream Children/Sonatina/May Song)            Ashley Wass

A delightful surprise! In particular I was charmed by the short piano pieces (e.g. Sonatina as well as Dream Children) that were light, crisp, romantic and very charming. Perfect for the morning hours. The Enigma Variations were a bit more serious in its tone and thrust. An excellent piece of piano music, but I was still wishing for more of the Sonatina variety.  0:)   

The recording certainly gave me a different perspective on Elgar as I (like most people I presume) am used to the larger symphonic and choral works that dominate in the repertoire/canon. 

A great disk! Thanks for bringing it forward Greg:)

[asin] B000H4VZDK[/asin]

I also recommend the ASV cd featuring Maria Garzon playing Elgar piano music.  There's a fair bit of overlap between the Garzon and Wass discs (Enigma Variations, Sonatina, Dream Children), but also some pieces on each disc that aren't on the other.  And it might be fun to compare & contrast the respective pianists in the music that both discs have in common.  (I haven't heard the Wass myself.)

[asin]B00001W088[/asin]

Moonfish

Quote from: jfdrex on February 16, 2015, 12:20:29 PM
I also recommend the ASV cd featuring Maria Garzon playing Elgar piano music.  There's a fair bit of overlap between the Garzon and Wass discs (Enigma Variations, Sonatina, Dream Children), but also some pieces on each disc that aren't on the other.  And it might be fun to compare & contrast the respective pianists in the music that both discs have in common.  (I haven't heard the Wass myself.)

[asin]B00001W088[/asin]

That sounds interesting Jdfrex! Besides, it is a very affordable journey based on the current MP prices!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Karl Henning

Quote from: jfdrex on February 14, 2015, 11:48:47 AM
Speaking of Elgar on the Naxos label, Dong Suk Kang's recording of the Violin Concerto (with Adrian Leaper conducting the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra) is more than worth the price of admission.  Kang seems to have modeled his interpretation on that of Heifetz, more so than any other contemporary violinists whose recordings I've heard. 

[asin]B00000146L[/asin]

Aye, and I should not be surprised if it was Alan who suggested this one, back on a time.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on February 14, 2015, 12:05:45 PM
Very interesting comment! Way back, a few years ago, when we were hammering through a range of discussions about performances of the VC (probably in this thread), Dong Suk Kang was my top recommendation as a very distinctive alternative to my old favourite Hugh Bean.

You see!  I knew it!  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 15, 2015, 12:13:55 PM

The apotheosis of hole-in-corner . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on February 17, 2015, 06:01:46 AM
You see!  I knew it!  :)

What particularly impresses me about this feat of memory, Karl, is that at the time I was probably droning on and on and on about it .... but here is evidence that you must have been able to stay awake!

It makes me feel positively buoyant.
Now, as I was saying ... drone drone drone ... drone drone .. drone drone ... drone drone drone ...

Karl Henning

You've given me an idea for a piece, Alan ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA