Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Quote from: revdrdave on March 12, 2015, 11:09:19 AM
All of which leads me to wonder if there's something about Elgar's music that only reveals itself to us as listeners once we have a certain amount of life behind us.  In posing that, I'm not suggesting Elgar is unique in this respect.  In my own listening, I know that I've responded in completely new (and, I think, deeper) ways in the last few years to, say, Sibelius and Mahler, than I did when I listened to them 20 years ago.  Partly, that's me.  But I think it also must do with the composer and the music, too.  Elgar's Cello Concerto is a good example.  It contains, in its way, a lifetime of longing and regret...for people, for love, for a way of life...that, as listeners, is unlikely to resonate with us fully unless/until we ourselves have lived through (and, in some measure, come to terms with) longing and regret of our own.     

I think there's something in that. Working on the assumption that we grow in response to the things we encounter, we're going to (one hopes) understand more as we go on (though sometimes I wonder if that implies a growing realisation that I understand less than I thought). But heck, I was 16 when I first heard Introduction & Allegro, Enigma, and the 1st symphony - and I was never the same after that. The mere name 'Elgar' acquired a suggestive power all of its own. But in support of your theory, it took me a lot longer to come to terms with the two concertos, because, as you suggest, I didn't have the life experience to bring to them.

I went bonkers about Sibelius at about the same time too, though he never got so completely under my skin as Elgar did.

Elgarian

Quote from: revdrdave on March 12, 2015, 11:30:31 AM
Alright, Alan...Powell, Reed, Allen, and Moore (Elgar on Record) are on the way.  Burley and Moore (Creative Life) will follow in due course.  And, in the meantime, I'll continue to slog through Kennedy.

That's a great start! Be warned, you may fall in love with Dorabella.

QuoteOf course, once Elgar on Record arrives, then I have to buy the 9 disc EMI set of the electrical recordings, don't I?  See what you've started?  ;)

Yes there's no point in having the book if you don't have the recordings. But that CD box is a phenomenal bargain, and the great thing about it is this: when you're listening to the recordings, you know it's him. These performances are what he wanted us to hear. They are what he played and listened to on his own gramophone. Frankly, I can't listen to them dispassionately at all. The knowledge that this is - no ifs, no buts - exactly what he listened to, makes a personal connection that wipes away the intervening time. Come in, Sir Edward. Please sit down. Cup of tea? Something stronger?
Was it really 'Auld Lang Syne?' by the way .......

revdrdave

Quote from: Elgarian on March 12, 2015, 01:52:31 PM
That's a great start! Be warned, you may fall in love with Dorabella.

Yes there's no point in having the book if you don't have the recordings. But that CD box is a phenomenal bargain, and the great thing about it is this: when you're listening to the recordings, you know it's him. These performances are what he wanted us to hear. They are what he played and listened to on his own gramophone. Frankly, I can't listen to them dispassionately at all. The knowledge that this is - no ifs, no buts - exactly what he listened to, makes a personal connection that wipes away the intervening time. Come in, Sir Edward. Please sit down. Cup of tea? Something stronger?
Was it really 'Auld Lang Syne?' by the way .......

Yes, I envy you the particular degree of closeness to Elgar you must feel from listening to Elgar's own performances living, as I believe you do, so close to the very part of England where Elgar lived and worked...a closeness that doesn't quite make the trip across the Atlantic and two-thirds of the United States to Colorado! And now, of course, I'm scouring the internet for the best deal I can find on the EMI set of electrical recordings...

Moonfish

Quote from: revdrdave on March 12, 2015, 11:09:19 AM
Well, OK.  A cursory search had me looking at $500 for all six books, but I spent some more time and found copies of all six for $150, which is more doable.

In case you're interested, here's the cost I found for each (including shipping):
Powell (from the UK) $20
Burley $39
Reed $4
Moore (Elgar on Record) $4
Allen $25
Moore (Creative Life) $54

You can get a PB of Moore's Creative Life at Amazon for about $15 ("good" condition)....     :)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

revdrdave

Quote from: Moonfish on March 12, 2015, 04:06:38 PM
You can get a PB of Moore's Creative Life at Amazon for about $15 ("good" condition)....     :)

Thanks for the info, Moonfish, but I'm not finding a copy for $15. Can you give me a link?

Moonfish

Quote from: revdrdave on March 12, 2015, 04:23:45 PM
Thanks for the info, Moonfish, but I'm not finding a copy for $15. Can you give me a link?

Hmm, a few copies sold in the interim. They are now at $15 +S/H.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

revdrdave

Quote from: Moonfish on March 12, 2015, 06:41:43 PM
Hmm, a few copies sold in the interim. They are now at $15 +S/H.

Wow...for some reason this version of the book never showed up when I searched for it. Many thanks, Moonfish!

Moonfish

Quote from: revdrdave on March 12, 2015, 07:14:23 PM
Wow...for some reason this version of the book never showed up when I searched for it. Many thanks, Moonfish!
Of course! Yes, it did not show for me either. I backtracked with an ISBN from Abe's books and then it showed up. Strange!
Anna Lappé

Elgarian

Quote from: revdrdave on March 12, 2015, 03:30:19 PM
Yes, I envy you the particular degree of closeness to Elgar you must feel from listening to Elgar's own performances living, as I believe you do, so close to the very part of England where Elgar lived and worked...a closeness that doesn't quite make the trip across the Atlantic and two-thirds of the United States to Colorado! And now, of course, I'm scouring the internet for the best deal I can find on the EMI set of electrical recordings...

Well, not so close as to become satiated with Elgar country, but close enough to be very familiar with it - I'm a two and a half hour drive away from Malvern, which means it's not on my doorstep but I can always get there whenever I really want to.

Good luck with the hunt for a cheap box of electric recordings - there are plenty of good deals out there that won't break the bank:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004MSRDK6/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1426236630&sr=1-1&keywords=elgar+electrical

Nicely spotted by Moonfish - those p/back copies of Moore's biography. It's a great doorstep of a book that must tax the limits of paperback binding, I think! Incidentally there's a project under way to publish all Elgar's correspondence. There are some volumes already out there, though they cost an arm and a leg, and must be some way down the priority list for all but the most committed Elgar enthusiasts I think:

http://www.elgar.org/6welcome.htm

Klaatu

I have the great fortune to live on the Malvern Hills, as close to Elgar Country as it's possible to get - his grave is a few hundred yards away and his Malvern home, 'Craeg Lea', is a few hundred yards in the opposite direction. There is indeed a special magic about hearing E.E.'s music so near to where he lived and worked.

revdrdave

Quote from: Elgarian on March 13, 2015, 01:01:39 AM
Well, not so close as to become satiated with Elgar country, but close enough to be very familiar with it - I'm a two and a half hour drive away from Malvern, which means it's not on my doorstep but I can always get there whenever I really want to.

Good luck with the hunt for a cheap box of electric recordings - there are plenty of good deals out there that won't break the bank:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004MSRDK6/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1426236630&sr=1-1&keywords=elgar+electrical

Nicely spotted by Moonfish - those p/back copies of Moore's biography. It's a great doorstep of a book that must tax the limits of paperback binding, I think! Incidentally there's a project under way to publish all Elgar's correspondence. There are some volumes already out there, though they cost an arm and a leg, and must be some way down the priority list for all but the most committed Elgar enthusiasts I think:

http://www.elgar.org/6welcome.htm

Thanks, Alan, for the link to the electrical recordings. Actually, the least expensive option I've found is on eBay. Prices on Amazon can be deceptive. The default shipping is always $3.99 but if, for example, the item is coming from the UK (as is the case with the first, least expensive ones in the link) the shipping is actually $14.99.

I ended up ordering the Moore biography (thanks to Moonfish) so I have copies coming of all the books you recommended except Burley.

Speaking of the Moore biography/doorstep, I assume, Alan (and others), that you've read it--what do you think of it? I continue to slog through Kennedy but it's not getting any better...really a dreadful read.

revdrdave

Quote from: Klaatu on March 13, 2015, 01:33:12 AM
I have the great fortune to live on the Malvern Hills, as close to Elgar Country as it's possible to get - his grave is a few hundred yards away and his Malvern home, 'Craeg Lea', is a few hundred yards in the opposite direction. There is indeed a special magic about hearing E.E.'s music so near to where he lived and worked.

There isn't an emoticon for envy, so this will have to do: :-\

Elgarian

Quote from: revdrdave on March 13, 2015, 04:28:11 AM
Speaking of the Moore biography/doorstep, I assume, Alan (and others), that you've read it--what do you think of it? I continue to slog through Kennedy but it's not getting any better...really a dreadful read.

I'll shock you. I've never actually read the Moore biog all the way through! I use it more as a reference book. By the time I managed to get hold of Moore's, I'd read several Elgar biographies without much enthusiasm for them as literature, and suddenly they seemed superfluous. Obviously one needs a biography of some sort, and Moore's seems to be as close to being definitive as we're likely to get.

revdrdave

Quote from: Elgarian on March 13, 2015, 11:36:28 AM
I'll shock you. I've never actually read the Moore biog all the way through! I use it more as a reference book. By the time I managed to get hold of Moore's, I'd read several Elgar biographies without much enthusiasm for them as literature, and suddenly they seemed superfluous. Obviously one needs a biography of some sort, and Moore's seems to be as close to being definitive as we're likely to get.

You've never read Moore??? ???  You're right: I'm shocked.  I'd have bet money that you snapped it up and devoured it as soon as it came out.  Well, as much as one can devour an 850+ page book.  OK, clearly what's needed is an Elgar biography that is literature--and you're probably the man for the job!

Elgarian

Quote from: revdrdave on March 13, 2015, 01:09:02 PM
You've never read Moore??? ???  You're right: I'm shocked.  I'd have bet money that you snapped it up and devoured it as soon as it came out.  Well, as much as one can devour an 850+ page book.  OK, clearly what's needed is an Elgar biography that is literature--and you're probably the man for the job!

'Oh no I'm not!' he chortled.

I think the point is that by the time I acquired a copy of the Moore bio, all I felt I needed to do was dip into it in the areas that particularly interested me - and that's how I've always used the book since. If I'd never read any Elgar biographies, I'd have read it all through, cover to cover: it really is the obvious recommendation for the biography of choice. And just between you and me, I don't read every article in the Elgar Society Journal either. Just look at these confessions pouring out!

Elgarian

Quote from: Klaatu on March 13, 2015, 01:33:12 AM

You're a lucky, lucky chap!

Moonfish

Do the remasterings on the Naxos label of Symphony No 2 and the Cello Concerto differ at all in sound quality from the ones in the EMI/Warner electrical recording edition?  Does anybody know?

[asin] B000NTPAN0[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Elgar:
Enigma Variations 
Royal Albert Hall Orchestra/Elgar

(1926)

Violin Concerto            Menuhin   
London SO/Elgar

(1932)

Wonderful historical recordings! I have listened to this specific disc several times over the last two days. A keeper for sure! For some odd reason this is becoming my favorite rendition of the Enigma Variations. I wonder if it is the ambience of the historical recordings, the psychology of knowing that Elgar himself is conducting and/or that the performances are magnificent? Perhaps it is a combination of all three factors shaping the perfect Elgar storm? The Enigma Variations have never sounded so haunting and delicate to my ears before this encounter. Hmm, maybe I am just a sucker for historical recordings as they add the feeling of a tunnel reaching through time and space in a very different fashion compared to modern recordings?  This set continues to bring rich moments to my life as I continue to explore it.

[asin] B004MSRDK6[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Elgarian

Quote from: Moonfish on March 13, 2015, 11:01:25 PM
Do the remasterings on the Naxos label of Symphony No 2 and the Cello Concerto differ at all in sound quality from the ones in the EMI/Warner electrical recording edition?  Does anybody know?

Some years ago I did a comparison of the three available remasterings of the Beatrice Harrison cello concerto - the two you mention, and the Mike Dutton remastering. They are all slightly different because of the compromises that are made during the cleaning up - if you clean up more, you lose ambience; if you clean up less, you keep more ambience but get more noise.

My feeling was that I slightly preferred the Dutton to the other two, because the music seemed to have a bit more space to breathe in. But in all honesty, I'm quite sure that without careful direct A/B/C comparison, I wouldn't able to guess which I was listening to, and my enjoyment of the music certainly doesn't depend on it in any way. Of course others may be more sensitive to the differences.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on March 13, 2015, 01:22:33 PM
'Oh no I'm not!' he chortled.

I think the point is that by the time I acquired a copy of the Moore bio, all I felt I needed to do was dip into it in the areas that particularly interested me - and that's how I've always used the book since. If I'd never read any Elgar biographies, I'd have read it all through, cover to cover: it really is the obvious recommendation for the biography of choice. And just between you and me, I don't read every article in the Elgar Society Journal either. Just look at these confessions pouring out!

Lay your burden down!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot