Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

Regarding Solti's Elgar, I believe it's in the execrable category, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Quoting myself from another thread:

Quote from: Wanderer on April 22, 2015, 12:17:41 AM
As for Elgar 2: Boult/LPO (my first choice, superb and devastating), A.Davis/Philharmonia, Elder/Hallé, Sinopoli/Philharmonia, Slatkin/LPO for the top 5. I also like Barbirolli (slightly more the Philharmonia than the Hallé rendition) and Tate that Brian mentioned, as well as a number of others. The only truly horrible rendition I've encountered is Solti. He clearly tried to emulate Barbirolli but, lacking the latter's everything, he just sped things up to an incoherent mess. Avoid that one like the plague.

Quote from: Elgarian on June 22, 2015, 11:57:53 PM
It may not necessarily be 'first listen syndrome' operating, always.

Indeed. For instane, Solti's was my first rendition of Elgar 2 and according to the above theory, I should've liked it. The qualities of the work should've shined through. However, I had such a strong allergic reaction to it, it got me off this splendid work for years; finally hearing it from different, any different, conductor/ensemble combo made me realize the work was entirely not to blame. Lest it happens to somebody else, I've been very vocal in my loathing of Solti's version ever since.  $:)

PS. It's not like I don't like Solti in general, most of his work I find quite good (e.g. the Ring, or a quite excellent to my ears Schubert 9). It's just that his Elgar is really that bad.  ;)

71 dB

It's nearly impossible for me to participate here. I remember how I wanted to educate the world about the miracle of Elgar some 15 years ago. As the years went by I cared less and less about what other people listen to and what they think about Elgar. My cynicism has reached a level where I simply don't care. Especially my job is utterly frustrating, nasty and mind-numbing (believe me, you have no idea). I have to concentrate on my own well-being, fighting depression.

I am not particularly interested of discussing about different performances. I have no interest of even hearing Solti's Elgar. I have seven recordings of Elgar #2 on CD and I think it is enough.

So, I really don't know what I could say about Elgar at the moment. I have nothing to say expect that I have nothing to say.

Please continue...  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on June 23, 2015, 07:36:15 AM
It's nearly impossible for me to participate here. I remember how I wanted to educate the world about the miracle of Elgar some 15 years ago. As the years went by I cared less and less about what other people listen to and what they think about Elgar. My cynicism has reached a level where I simply don't care. Especially my job is utterly frustrating, nasty and mind-numbing (believe me, you have no idea). I have to concentrate on my own well-being, fighting depression.

I am not particularly interested of discussing about different performances. I have no interest of even hearing Solti's Elgar. I have seven recordings of Elgar #2 on CD and I think it is enough.

So, I really don't know what I could say about Elgar at the moment. I have nothing to say expect that I have nothing to say.

Such pessimism from you, 71 dB. It sounds like you could've saved yourself time and not even made this post. :)

Karl Henning

Best wishes in your fight against depression.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on June 23, 2015, 08:12:05 AM

+1 I don't wish depression on anyone. I can only hope 71 dB makes a full recovery and can enjoy his life again.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 23, 2015, 07:44:50 AM
Such pessimism from you, 71 dB. It sounds like you could've saved yourself time and not even made this post. :)
It feels bad to be absent so I posted something. I used to be optimistic (naive) long ago, but I am wiser (less naive) now.

Quote from: karlhenning on June 23, 2015, 08:12:05 AM
Quote from: Mirror Image on June 23, 2015, 08:14:07 AM
+1 I don't wish depression on anyone. I can only hope 71 dB makes a full recovery and can enjoy his life again.

Thanks for your wishes!  :) I have to say don't really suffer from depression. I have learned to avoid it, but it kind of takes the fun out of life when you have to use so much energy to avoid depression.

People keep telling how bad the economic situation is in Finland. We now have a government pretty much opposing my political views. I am politically green/left wing and our new goverment is anti-green/right wing. Now a very populistic party called "True Finns" is in government because their simplistic politic mantras are popular among. Their politic agenda is horrible. The green party is in opposition despite very good election result. So, what will happen in Finland in the near future will be really nasty at least to people like me. Instead of humanism we will get coldness. Even the cold war came back after a few dacades of sanity! Then there is the eurocrisis thanks to Greek. Climate change has made the weather in Finland very odd. This summer has been the coldest in 50 years and as a meteopath I have suffered a lot. I haven't slept well in 2 months! First time in my life I did suffer strong birch allergy symptoms. Edgar Froese, my music hero died in January. Kesha can't release new music because of the proceedings with Dr Luke.

Given these (pomp and) circumstances, it really is hard to smile don't you think? Positive things do happen, but negative things tend to outweight them. I wish it was the other way around. Then it would be easy to smile.

Elgarian

I have no interest of even hearing Solti's Elgar.

Honestly, I don't think you're missing much.

QuoteI have seven recordings of Elgar #2 on CD and I think it is enough.

Sounds like enough, but one never quite knows.

I'm glad you joined in, though I'm sorry to hear things are so bad. I hope things improve for you.

71 dB

Quote from: Elgarian on June 23, 2015, 10:41:53 AM
Honestly, I don't think you're missing much.

Sounds like enough, but one never quite knows.

I'm glad you joined in, though I'm sorry to hear things are so bad. I hope things improve for you.

Yes.

Just one (Downes on Naxos) would be enough for me. Instead of buying yet another Elgar #2, it is often a good idea of exploring new composers/works, say Stenhammar whose symphony #2 I bought recently.

Thanks! At least my summer vacation starts in July...  8)

bhodges

Berliner Philharmoniker Digital Concert Hall has a performance from 2009 of Elgar's Symphony No. 2 with Kirill Petrenko and the orchestra, FREE. (Have no idea for how long.) Interestingly, this was the first time the orchestra had played this piece since 1972 - over 40 years ago.

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/concert/14?a=facebook&c=true

Also included is a Beethoven Third Piano Concerto with Lars Vogt.

--Bruce

Moonfish

Quote from: Brewski on July 06, 2015, 11:52:34 AM
Berliner Philharmoniker Digital Concert Hall has a performance from 2009 of Elgar's Symphony No. 2 with Kirill Petrenko and the orchestra, FREE. (Have no idea for how long.) Interestingly, this was the first time the orchestra had played this piece since 1972 - over 40 years ago.

--Bruce

I listened to the concert a couple of weeks ago in the wake of the news frenzy of the Petrenko election. I found it curious why he should select a British symphony? It seemed a bit eclectic? Regardless, I enjoyed the performance quite a bit!  The Digital concert hall doesn't exactly overflow with Elgar's works.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brewski on July 06, 2015, 11:52:34 AM

--Bruce

Thanks for the heads up, Bruce. Will be watching tonight.

Karl Henning

Well, today is the day I pulled the trigger on some Sinopoli/Elgar:

[asin]B000024ZB1[/asin]

[asin]B000001GNC[/asin]

Being a fan of Maisky may have helped, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on August 24, 2015, 02:56:52 PM
Well, today is the day I pulled the trigger on some Sinopoli/Elgar:

[asin]B000024ZB1[/asin]

mc ukrneal

What are the best sounding symphonies? I have Boult (EMI) and I like it, but have been wondering if a lush, fantastic sounding version (of course, a fabulous interpretation) might be a nice complement to that one.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

aukhawk

You might find Oramo on BIS of interest though I think Boult's performance can't be beat.

[asin]B00BYN3WR0[/asin]

Though I have to say, after all the Solti-bashing upthread, that I would rather listen to this  ;D - not great sound in these transfers though ...
[asin]B00000425P[/asin]

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: aukhawk on August 25, 2015, 09:51:19 AM
You might find Oramo on BIS of interest though I think Boult's performance can't be beat.

[asin]B00BYN3WR0[/asin]

Though I have to say, after all the Solti-bashing upthread, that I would rather listen to this  ;D - not great sound in these transfers though ...
[asin]B00000425P[/asin]

I agree with the Oramo, it's the best sounding Elgar I've heard. Flawless detail within the orchestra. Although there are better interpretations. I would even suggest the Elder/Halle discs. And an additional +1 for the Solti recordings.

Brian

Oramo's #2 is good and his #1 is great. I remember the EMI Jeffrey Tate recordings having pretty great sound?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on August 25, 2015, 06:40:31 PM
Oramo's #2 is good and his #1 is great. I remember the EMI Jeffrey Tate recordings having pretty great sound?

Tate is great, it's a slower approach to Elgar's symphonies, but it totally works.

vandermolen

I heard the second movement of Elgar's First Symphony, conducted by Bryden Thomson with the LPO (Chandos) and was very impressed so I bought a very cheap second hand copy. It is the most lyrical and songful account that I have ever heard and strongly recommend it. The 1986 recording is equally impressive. I have many different versions (Boult x 3, Barbirolli, Solti, Tate etcetc) but this is my number one version at the moment. The slow movement sounds Brucknerian.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 18, 2015, 07:29:59 AM
I heard the second movement of Elgar's First Symphony, conducted by Bryden Thomson with the LPO (Chandos) and was very impressed so I bought a very cheap second hand copy. It is the most lyrical and songful account that I have ever heard and strongly recommend it. The 1986 recording is equally impressive. I have many different versions (Boult x 3, Barbirolli, Solti, Tate etcetc) but this is my number one version at the moment. The slow movement sounds Brucknerian.

I have Thomson's Elgar lying around somewhere. Must plan a revisit at some juncture. Thanks for the reminder, Jeffrey.