Author Topic: Mozart piano sonatas  (Read 150858 times)

Online Que

• Global Moderator
Re: Mozart piano sonatas
« Reply #820 on: March 03, 2020, 12:05:41 PM »
I'm listening to the Bart van Oort now. Wow, I like the sound of his fortepiano a lot better than Jos Van Immerseel, of whose Mozart I have a 2CD called "The Vienna Years", which is just about the only HIP Mozart I listen to. But I may have to pick up this van Oort, which is cheap, so I can have the option of a full set on a nice sounding period piano.

Van Oort is a wonderful set.  :)

Q

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #821 on: March 03, 2020, 01:16:16 PM »
Van Oort is a wonderful set.  :)

Q

We seem to agree once more. The two period Mozart piano sonata sets, I haven't culled, are van Oort's and Badura Skoda's.
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

Offline hvbias

« Reply #822 on: March 28, 2020, 06:04:02 AM »
I finished listening to all of Paul Badura-Skoda's Astree cycle last night, this has very much changed my opinion of Mozart's piano music more to the positive. As usual I love the sound of his vintage fortepianos, IMO these have so much more character than ones that sound like modern pianos. I personally greatly prefer this to the Euroarts one that Sony reissued a couple of years ago.

On piano I like Michael Endres followed by Lili Kraus. Neither really left me quite as spirited as when I heard PBS. Ingrid Haebler has a nice cycle (Denon) as well, an inviting chamber quality but lacking in brio.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 06:08:15 AM by hvbias »