Stockhausen's Spaceship

Started by Cato, September 21, 2007, 06:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uatu

KLAVIERSTÜCK XI (Piano Piece 11)
The musical equivalent of falling leaves.
http://stockhausenspace.blogspot.com/2015/06/klavierstuck-xi.html

Uatu

PLUS-MINUS

What if you attended a Stockhausen composition class in the 1960s? This would be your assignment.  Instructions below...
http://stockhausenspace.blogspot.com/2015/06/plus-minus.html

Uatu

A couple weeks ago I used  a "falling leaves" analogy to describe Klavierstuck XI.  In this work, actual leaves are used as "found sound objects" to make musical noise.  In a barn.  With a homemade shower stall.  Hilarity ensures.

HERBSTMUSIK
HERBSTMUSIK is a theatrical piece portraying a "scene from daily life".  Richard Toop describes (in his article "Stockhausen's Secret Theatre - Unfinished Projects..."), sketches for a 1969 work called OPER (Opera), where some scenes consist of "abstract" activities which create musical sounds, and some other scenes consist of more typical "daily life" activities, but which emphasize the "ambient" noises of these scenarios (or add musical signals).  HERBSTMUSIK, written a few years later, is kind of a combination of these two ideas, and portrays typical rural activities in a barn (or at least what I assume to be typical, having never played in a barn myself), set to various regular and irregular rhythms.  The activities (hammering, breaking wood branches, threshing straw, rolling around in a pile of leaves, etc...) are organized so that the sounds of their stage actions are "musical".  These were designed to create a kind "autumnal sound environment", and were probably informed by Stockhausen's own nostalgia for earlier times.

More here:
http://stockhausenspace.blogspot.com/2015/06/herbstmusik.html

Cato

Quote from: Uatu on June 25, 2015, 04:42:35 AM
A couple weeks ago I used  a "falling leaves" analogy to describe Klavierstuck XI.  In this work, actual leaves are used as "found sound objects" to make musical noise.  In a barn.  With a homemade shower stall.  Hilarity ensures.

HERBSTMUSIK
HERBSTMUSIK is a theatrical piece portraying a "scene from daily life". ...The activities (hammering, breaking wood branches, threshing straw, rolling around in a pile of leaves, etc...) are organized so that the sounds of their stage actions are "musical".  These were designed to create a kind "autumnal sound environment", and were probably informed by Stockhausen's own nostalgia for earlier times.

Many thanks for your links above: under Messiaen's topic I mentioned that composer's "notation of a waterfall" for Chronochromie.  So this would seem to be in the same musique-concrete vein.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Uatu

Quote from: Cato on June 25, 2015, 06:19:35 AM
Many thanks for your links above: under Messiaen's topic I mentioned that composer's "notation of a waterfall" for Chronochromie.  So this would seem to be in the same musique-concrete vein.

I love Chronochomie!  One of my fav Messaien pieces.  This one's a bit more "barny" tho :)

Uatu

HYMNEN
http://stockhausenspace.blogspot.com/2015/06/hymnen.html
In this seminal work, Stockhausen envisions the world as a sonic hodgepodge of national anthems, a roulette game, radio interference, and sounds from space.

Included in this post is an interactive "do-it-yourself Anthem Kit".

This will be the last post for awhile, since for the next few weeks I'll be busy finishing presentations for the Stockhausen Courses in Germany (July 10-19). Stop by!

Cato

Quote from: Uatu on June 27, 2015, 07:24:32 AM

This will be the last post for awhile, since for the next few weeks I'll be busy finishing presentations for the Stockhausen Courses in Germany

Wow!  Very interesting opportunity!  Viel Spass!

Uatu

Quote from: Cato on June 27, 2015, 07:54:58 AM
Wow!  Very interesting opportunity!  Viel Spass!
Danken!  Maybe I will write about my experiences there...

Cato

Quote from: Uatu on June 27, 2015, 08:36:50 AM
Danken!  Maybe I will write about my experiences there...

Das wuerden wir gerne lesen!  Vielen Dank im voraus!

San Antone

I found a copy of the Maconie book for a little over $20.  This one is from 1976; but isn't there a revised and updated edition? 

Uatu

Quote from: sanantonio on June 27, 2015, 06:09:41 PM
I found a copy of the Maconie book for a little over $20.  This one is from 1976; but isn't there a revised and updated edition?

Yes, there are 3 versions.  The first 2, The Works of Karlheinz Stockhausen, 1st and 2nd edition are pretty good with lots of score samples (though not as "technical" perhaps as my blog entries, which may or may not be a good thing  ::)).  The 2nd edition has about 35 percent new material, lots of entries are completely rewritten and score samples are sometimes different. 

The 3rd edition, "Other Planets" is, in my opinion, the most "editorial", in that it has the least amount of musical analysis, but alot more sociological and symbolic information, most of it off the top of Maconie's head (which is why I describe it as "editorial" ...actually "fan-fiction" would almost be apt here).   This edition has the least amount of score samples for some reason (almost none really). 

Personally, if I had to buy just one, it would be the 2nd edition, it is slightly more up to date but still has score samples.

San Antone

Quote from: Uatu on June 27, 2015, 06:32:59 PM
Yes, there are 3 versions.  The first 2, The Works of Karlheinz Stockhausen, 1st and 2nd edition are pretty good with lots of score samples (though not as "technical" perhaps as my blog entries, which may or may not be a good thing  ::)).  The 2nd edition has about 35 percent new material, lots of entries are completely rewritten and score samples are sometimes different. 

The 3rd edition, "Other Planets" is, in my opinion, the most "editorial", in that it has the least amount of musical analysis, but alot more sociological and symbolic information, most of it off the top of Maconie's head (which is why I describe it as "editorial" ...actually "fan-fiction" would almost be apt here).   This edition has the least amount of score samples for some reason (almost none really). 

Personally, if I had to buy just one, it would be the 2nd edition, it is slightly more up to date but still has score samples.

Looks like I have the 1st edition - which is fine for me, although I agree the 2nd edition sounds like the better one.

Uatu

My report on my trip to Germany to participate in the 2015 Stockhausen Courses. Despite gaining 3 pounds in body weight and having my return luggage delayed by a week at the airport, it was an incredibly rewarding trip.

See the link for pictures and personal observations...
http://stockhausenspace.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-stockhausen-courses-and-concerts-in.html

I have to stress that the visit to the WDR Electronic Music Studio space was damn incredible.  Laptops are so boring, give me toggle switches, ribbed faders and knobs every time! 

This is me giving a talk during one of the seminars...

This was for me the equivalent of playing Beethoven's own pianoforte...  I'm just bragging now, I admit it  :)

James

Thanks for sharing Ed .. I especially liked the stuff about how you experiencing the works (especially the electronic ones) in concert,
full spatialization (as intended) presented a challenge while revealing more to you.

On that last note, I LOVE when music & art does this for me. It is one of it's greatest rewards.
Action is the only truth

Uatu

Quote from: James on July 31, 2015, 02:23:30 PM
Thanks for sharing Ed .. I especially liked the stuff about how you experiencing the works (especially the electronic ones) in concert,
full spatialization (as intended) presented a challenge while revealing more to you.

On that last note, I LOVE when music & art does this for me. It is one of it's greatest rewards.

Glad you liked it James.  Yeah, having almost never experienced properly spatialized music, it was like experiencing an Escher painting come to life - amazing, but very easy to get intimidated!  Looking forward to seeking out more experiences like this...

chadfeldheimer

Quote from: Uatu on July 31, 2015, 06:42:24 AM
My report on my trip to Germany to participate in the 2015 Stockhausen Courses. Despite gaining 3 pounds in body weight and having my return luggage delayed by a week at the airport, it was an incredibly rewarding trip.

See the link for pictures and personal observations...
http://stockhausenspace.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-stockhausen-courses-and-concerts-in.html

I did also enjoyed reading about your visit of the Stockhausen Courses and compliments for the hole blog. After writing all those articles you must be a real Stockhausen expert I guess ;-).
Did I understand right that the concerts at the Stockhausen Courses are free for public, so that this year there was the possibility to attend live/multi-channel performances of some of my favorite Stockhausen pieces like Telemusik, Kontakte, Gesang der Jünglinge or Mixtur. That would be a good reason for me to make a small trip to Kürten next year.

Uatu

Quote from: chadfeldheimer on August 02, 2015, 04:53:02 AM
I did also enjoyed reading about your visit of the Stockhausen Courses and compliments for the hole blog. After writing all those articles you must be a real Stockhausen expert I guess ;-).
Did I understand right that the concerts at the Stockhausen Courses are free for public, so that this year there was the possibility to attend live/multi-channel performances of some of my favorite Stockhausen pieces like Telemusik, Kontakte, Gesang der Jünglinge or Mixtur. That would be a good reason for me to make a small trip to Kürten next year.

Thanks!

Yes, that's correct, all the Stockhausen Course concerts in Kurten are free (of course there is a little box where you can make a donation!)

James

Quote from: Uatu on August 02, 2015, 05:34:22 AM
Thanks!

Yes, that's correct, all the Stockhausen Course concerts in Kurten are free (of course there is a little box where you can make a donation!)

By any chance did you ask about the DVD of the Birmingham Mittwoch production.
Action is the only truth

Uatu

Quote from: James on August 02, 2015, 05:40:27 AM
By any chance did you ask about the DVD of the Birmingham Mittwoch production.

You can view on site, but they can't sell it due to licensing issues.  I have no idea if it will ever "officially" be available, it seems it's time has come and gone...

chadfeldheimer

Quote from: Uatu on August 02, 2015, 05:34:22 AM
Thanks!

Excellent. By "free for public" I rather understood "open for public". Of course I would give a donation if the concerts are free of costs. The main thing is that there is an opportunity to see live performances of works like Telemusik.