Stockhausen's Spaceship

Started by Cato, September 21, 2007, 06:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex

In 2 days I'm on my way to Europe - eventually to go to Donnerstag in Basel on Sunday 26. Very excited about that!
I have a question. My partner and I will be spending 4 days in Cologne, and I have considered making a trip to Kürten - a kind of pilgrimage really. However, I've been unable to find anything that indicates there is anything there for the non-professional tourist.
It also seems that the Stockhausen Verlag has no facility for browsing the merchandise. Which is still my (old-fashioned) favourite way of shopping.
If anyone is able to let me know if there is anything to visit in Kürten for a 'music lover but not a musician', or somewhere I can browse the SV cds, I'd be very grateful.
I'll also be in Frankfurt and Berlin during the German leg of our trip. I did find the Dussmann Kulturkaufhaus in Berlin (a fantastic book/dvd/music shop) when I was there a couple of years ago, which had a few SV cds. About 15 perhaps, of which I bought 5 or 6. But I would love to be able to browse the whole catalogue, and more.

If someone replies from Friday on - forgive me if my reply might be a little slow - but I will check on my computer when I am able - thanks, Rex

nathanb

Quote from: Rex on May 31, 2016, 10:41:38 PM
In 2 days I'm on my way to Europe - eventually to go to Donnerstag in Basel on Sunday 26. Very excited about that!
I have a question. My partner and I will be spending 4 days in Cologne, and I have considered making a trip to Kürten - a kind of pilgrimage really. However, I've been unable to find anything that indicates there is anything there for the non-professional tourist.
It also seems that the Stockhausen Verlag has no facility for browsing the merchandise. Which is still my (old-fashioned) favourite way of shopping.
If anyone is able to let me know if there is anything to visit in Kürten for a 'music lover but not a musician', or somewhere I can browse the SV cds, I'd be very grateful.
I'll also be in Frankfurt and Berlin during the German leg of our trip. I did find the Dussmann Kulturkaufhaus in Berlin (a fantastic book/dvd/music shop) when I was there a couple of years ago, which had a few SV cds. About 15 perhaps, of which I bought 5 or 6. But I would love to be able to browse the whole catalogue, and more.

If someone replies from Friday on - forgive me if my reply might be a little slow - but I will check on my computer when I am able - thanks, Rex

Catalogue for the Verlag here: http://www.stockhausencds.com/

Rex

Thanks for that nathanb. I know about the online catalogue and have used it many times.
What I'm hoping for is a bit of real in-shop browsing.

nathanb

Quote from: Rex on June 01, 2016, 05:45:04 PM
Thanks for that nathanb. I know about the online catalogue and have used it many times.
What I'm hoping for is a bit of real in-shop browsing.

Oh, well, if you find a shop that regularly keeps the Verlag well-stocked, put me on the list of people to inform!  :)

Rex

Brian

Right now I'm reading "Something to Food About," a book of chef interviews and essays on cooking by Ahmir Thompson, a.k.a. Questlove, the hip-hop drummer and DJ. And I'm just dropping by this thread to point out that in interview #2, with Daniel Humm of the NYC restaurant Eleven Madison Park, Questlove makes a point in the interview by discussing a paper by Stockhausen about Webern, which he used to theorize about the experience of time in music.

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on June 09, 2016, 04:35:42 AM
Right now I'm reading "Something to Food About," a book of chef interviews and essays on cooking by Ahmir Thompson, a.k.a. Questlove, the hip-hop drummer and DJ. And I'm just dropping by this thread to point out that in interview #2, with Daniel Humm of the NYC restaurant Eleven Madison Park, Questlove makes a point in the interview by discussing a paper by Stockhausen about Webern, which he used to theorize about the experience of time in music.

As if I needed another reason to like Questlove (who also plays with The Roots, the house band on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon), this is most interesting. May have to check out that book - thanks.

--Bruce

snyprrr

The End Is Surely Near ::)

"In related news, L'il Wayne said he used the ninth configuration of the inverted tetra algorithm to produce the rhythm of his new hit 'Fruity Booty'"

NAME DROPPER!!

28Orot

Its unimaginable that people actually listen to this composer because they like his music.
I think the reason they listen is because he has an interesting name. Who wouldn't want to listen to someone with a last name Stockhausen...
Its like that undiscovered long names of the extinct dinosaurs...

nathanb

Quote from: 28Orot on June 09, 2016, 10:58:45 AM
Its unimaginable that people actually listen to this composer because they like his music.
I think the reason they listen is because he has an interesting name. Who wouldn't want to listen to someone with a last name Stockhausen...

Cute satire.

Finally revisiting my listening-in-order-of-edition-number project after coming to a bit of a halt after moving most of my 100+ hours of Stockhausen to my new 2nd music player.

Cato

Quote from: nathanb on June 10, 2016, 05:04:19 PM
Cute satire.

The author fancies himself a composer, and is an acolyte of Mendelssohn.  0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: nathanb on June 10, 2016, 05:04:19 PM

Quote[It's] unimaginable that people actually listen to this composer because they like his music.

Cute satire.

Lack of imagination, I had thought.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

FURTWANGLER

BRONSTEINHAUSER

KRONBRUKENSTEIN

naw, I get it! ;)

LIPPLER just doesn't cut it.

bhodges

Yes, well, feel free to use your imagination more.

--Bruce

Rinaldo

Let there be licht..

http://www.therestisnoise.com/2016/01/licht-approaches.html

Hopes are surging again with a report by Erik Voermans, in the Amsterdam paper Het Parool, to the effect that the director Pierre Audi is looking into the idea of mounting a complete LICHT at Amsterdam's Gashouder space in 2019.

Uatu

I finally managed to bust out a new post covering the recent Basel production of the Stockhausen opera Thursday from Light:

http://stockhausenspace.blogspot.com/2016/07/donnerstag-aus-licht-basel-2016.html

It was a wild ride...  Has anybody else here any opinions?

nathanb

Right now I can scarcely afford to go anywhere beyond a 2-hour radius. If I ever get to Europe, I assure you that any LICHT opera staging would be in the top 5 reasons for me making that happen. Basically either that or Donaueschingen.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I want to see it but I also want to be able to afford to live.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Uatu on July 06, 2016, 02:41:50 PM
I finally managed to bust out a new post covering the recent Basel production of the Stockhausen opera Thursday from Light:

http://stockhausenspace.blogspot.com/2016/07/donnerstag-aus-licht-basel-2016.html

It was a wild ride...  Has anybody else here any opinions?

You can't fool us—that's a still from Mamma Mia!, isn't it?

(j/k)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

James

Coming in October ..

"The German composer Karlheinz Stockhausen was arguably the most influential figure of the European postwar avant-garde, and unquestionably the most elusive and enigmatic musical thinker of a generation that includes Pierre Boulez, John Cage, and Luciano Berio. His radically new electronic and instrumental music converted Igor Stravinsky to serialism in the 1950s, and has continued to inspire young composers for over fifty years.

Other Planets draws on over fifty years of the author's close study of Stockhausen and functions as a catalogue raisonee of Stockhausen's complete output. With plentiful citations from the history of radio, film, and sound recording, as well as from contemporary science and technology, the book is laid out in strictly chronological order and contains unusually ample commentary on the composer's sources of inspiration. Each composition is also fully documented within the text, giving full information of each work's publisher, catalogue number, instrumentation, duration, and authorized compact disc. The updated edition extends the range of the volume's contents to include the 25 works Stockhausen composed between 2004 and his death in 2007.

Any listener will benefit from this work, and American music lovers in particular will find it an invaluable guide to the ongoing debate and rivalry over the sources of abstract expressionism and the avant-garde."

[asin]1442272678[/asin]
Action is the only truth