Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Draško on March 25, 2017, 08:38:27 AM
The Flor cycle was late 80s East German production, maybe orchestra defected before they could finish. :laugh:

If you have time maybe you could write a bit about all Martinu symphony recordings. Once I was curious how many stand alone (non cycle/aborted cycle) recordings of various symphonies there are, and came up with not more than about twenty, of which only about dozen studio.

1 ancerl, weller
2 p.jarvi
3 neumann, ancerl, sejna
4 turnovsky, kubelik, tennstedt, weller (x2), ansermet, belohlavek
5 ancerl (x3), whitney, trhlik
6 munch (x2) ancerl, neumann, kout
It amazes me that No. 2 is the least recorded of the symphonies, since it is the cheeriest and arguably most "populist" - also the most resembling a true meeting of American and Czech musical styles. If any of the symphonies were to become a concert hall favorite (vs. a GMG favorite or a performers'), I would guess the Second; indeed, it's still one of mine (just behind No. 4).

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 25, 2017, 05:48:52 AM
I haven't heard any of the other SQ recordings, but now you're tempting me, DD! ;D
Naxos also has a great series of cello sonatas, piano quintets, flute chamber music, and other delightful works.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on March 25, 2017, 02:51:57 PM
Naxos also has a great series of cello sonatas, piano quintets, flute chamber music, and other delightful works.

I can certainly vouch for the piano quintets.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: aesthetic on March 25, 2017, 10:48:36 AM
Piano Trio No. 2, H. 327
Piano Trio No. 3, H. 332

Who do you like in the piano trios?
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on March 25, 2017, 02:51:57 PM

I've got the Naxos recording of the piano quintets. For the cello sonatas, I have Steven Isserlis and Peter Evans, but I enjoyed their recording so much that I haven't bothered looking for any other performances. There's many fine recordings of Martinu's chamber music not just limited to the Naxos label. Whoops! Scratch that last part out in case 71 dB reads it. ;) ;D

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Brian on March 25, 2017, 02:48:12 PM
It amazes me that No. 2 is the least recorded of the symphonies, since it is the cheeriest and arguably most "populist" - also the most resembling a true meeting of American and Czech musical styles. If any of the symphonies were to become a concert hall favorite (vs. a GMG favorite or a performers'), I would guess the Second; indeed, it's still one of mine (just behind No. 4).

Also: Rozhdestvensky recorded 2, 3, 5 & 6 (oop) - but not 1 & 4, I think. From broadcasts there's also a Valek 6th. To my surprise: Ansermet has recorded the Fourth! (Oh, right, we've covered that above.)
Trhlik seems to have recorded not just the 5th but also the 4th.
In any case. Wow. How many major composers are there - and Martinu is surely among the minor major composers - where we can actually count all the recordings of the symphonies with relative ease.

Brian

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on March 25, 2017, 08:50:46 PM
Who do you like in the piano trios?
NOT the Naxos recording - a rare dud (on the level of technical playing skills). I haven't heard any others, though.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 25, 2017, 09:08:53 PM
I've got the Naxos recording of the piano quintets. For the cello sonatas, I have Steven Isserlis and Peter Evans, but I enjoyed their recording so much that I haven't bothered looking for any other performances. There's many fine recordings of Martinu's chamber music not just limited to the Naxos label. Whoops! Scratch that last part out in case 71 dB reads it. ;) ;D
I have a cool cello sonata CD where Steven Isserlis "remade" his recording, along with Sibelius' "Malinconia" and a brand-new sonata by the pianist, Olli Mustonen. Really enjoy all that music.

North Star

Quote from: Brian on March 27, 2017, 09:19:42 AM
I have a cool cello sonata CD where Steven Isserlis "remade" his recording, along with Sibelius' "Malinconia" and a brand-new sonata by the pianist, Olli Mustonen. Really enjoy all that music.
And I have this one (review by Bruce) - good stuff. Should revisit it, actually.

[asin]B004IWQWP8[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Spineur

Quote from: Brian on March 27, 2017, 09:19:42 AM
I bought it too and enjoys the Mustonen and Malinconia breaks in between.  Actually, in the cello repertoire, Martinu sonatas do not stand out as for example the Kodaly solo sonata.  Nice but not prime Martinu.

North Star

Quote from: Spineur on March 27, 2017, 09:50:32 AMActually, in the cello repertoire, Martinu sonatas do not stand out as for example the Kodaly solo sonata.  Nice but not prime Martinu.
To be fair, not many works stand out like the Kodály!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Camphy

Mirror Image

Quote from: Camphy on March 27, 2017, 11:16:40 AM
This one is excellent:

That's the one I own. I haven't heard it (yet). I've heard it's quite good, though.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Brian on March 27, 2017, 09:18:28 AM
NOT the Naxos recording - a rare dud (on the level of technical playing skills). I haven't heard any others, though.

Cool, thanks, Brian.

Quote from: Camphy on March 27, 2017, 11:16:40 AM
This one is excellent:

Awesome! I'll check it out. Thanks.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Turner

Martinu: Cello works / Vandra, Goez  / Opus CD

I really like the superb Accent recording of the cello sonatas with Dieltiens & Groslot.

So this one looked interesting - 77 min, with 4 lesser known cycles for cello &  piano - 6 Pastorales, 4 Nocturnes, Suite Miniature & 7 Arabesques.
Unfortunately, it is not very well played, which doesn´t add to the appeal of some rather plain, and seemingly boring works.

Not recommended, only for die-hard completists - and other recordings are probably better.

Brian

Listening to the Naxos recording of the Nocturnes & Pastorales for cello and piano as we speak. It's well played, but these are well out of the way, as far as Martinu works go. Nice lyrical moments and charming enough, and some of the individual pieces are quite nice (Pastorale No. 5) but nothing essential - I doubt I'd seek multiple recordings.

These are much more conventionally romantic and less energetic than the typical Martinu.

Parsifal

Quote from: Brian on June 19, 2017, 09:15:57 AM
Listening to the Naxos recording of the Nocturnes & Pastorales for cello and piano as we speak. It's well played, but these are well out of the way, as far as Martinu works go. Nice lyrical moments and charming enough, and some of the individual pieces are quite nice (Pastorale No. 5) but nothing essential - I doubt I'd seek multiple recordings.

These are much more conventionally romantic and less energetic than the typical Martinu.

Maybe you're saying that because of a lack-luster performance. Just sayin'.
:)

Brian

Quote from: Scarpia on June 19, 2017, 09:35:32 AM
Maybe you're saying that because of a lack-luster performance. Just sayin'.
:)
That is also true. I'll try again when Queyras records it!

snyprrr

I am singularly not a fan of BM's Cello Sonatas,... love the Piano Trios. I have the Angell on ASV as compare. And then the Duo for violin and cello, and then the mature Sextet. But, not so much on the Violin Music, or the Piano Music. The mature Piano Quintet, yes, much of what lies around it, eh.

And I could never get into his String Quartets, even the last one. Yea, I don't know what's up with that...

Anyhow, alas, now just another Composer that Stravinsky is ruining for me, lol ::)...