Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 27, 2017, 03:38:00 PM
Certainly, I find them so appealing, fun, almost carefree. The 2nd one is kind of intimate, more reflexive (especially the first two movements). I enjoy them largely. I'm listening to his violin concertos in a while. I intuit they will blow my mind  :)
I hardly know his concertos at all apart from the one for double string orchestra etc. I have a Chandos CD with the cello concertos so must play that one soon. Interesting discussion.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

I've sung the praises of Martinu's vocal music before, from the late Romantic exuberance of the Czech rhapsody (1918) to Kytice (Bouquet of flowers), Gilgamesh, the Greek Passion.

This short opera is totaly new to me, " Hlas lesa - rozhlasová opera o 1 dějství (1935)

The Voice of the Forest - radio-opera in 1 act (1935)
Soloists of Prague Philharmonic, Chamber chorus
con. Jiří Bělohlávek
Recording 1999 nahrávka Supraphon, sólisté: Helena Kaupová, Jaroslav Březina, Lenka Šmídová, Roman Janál, Vladimír Okénko, Zdeněk Havránek, orchestr: Pražská komorní filharmonie, Komorní sbor, sbormistr Pavel Baxa, dirigent Jiří Bělohlávek

https://www.youtube.com/v/RkvUcyuXryE

Unfortunately, this YT item is not 100% complete...

From http://database.martinu.cz/works/public_view/166/lang:eng

The opera Voice of the Forest, based on the libretto by the poet Vítězslav Nezval (1900-1958), was written specifically for radio in 1935. It is one of Bohuslav Martinů's operatic experiments, as were, in fact, each of his 14 completed operas. That he worked for the then new medium called "pictureless home theater" led to his rather different treatment of dramatic time than would be found in a work designated for the theater. The plot is interrupted by lyrical interludes; collage form is employed--Martinů places the naivete of a folk fairy-tale, a cheap-print story, a dream and emotionally charged lyricism side by side. "Enter a forest that is darker than a skeleton because all have lost their way here," the Narrator calls at the beginning of the opera, inviting the audience to individually experience the ambiguity of a subtle fairy-tale. This also incited the filmmakers to embark on the path of film collage and free image associations and to use the means of expression of their medium--TV film--to try to capture abundance of expression and diversity of genres found in this remarkable one-act opera.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 27, 2017, 11:37:17 PM
I hardly know his concertos at all apart from the one for double string orchestra etc. I have a Chandos CD with the cello concertos so must play that one soon. Interesting discussion.

The Chandos CD of the cello concertos with Wallfisch and Belohlavek is one of my favorite recordings. You'll love it, Jeffrey!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Parsifal

After having some issues (audio quality) with Belohlavek's BBC Philharmonic recording of the 6th symphony I decided to backtrack. I've been listening to the second symphony in both Belohlavek's BBC recording and a recording by Pavo Jarvi with the Cincinnati Symphony (Telarc). It is a marvelous work and listening to the two recordings side by side has been an interesting experience. I get the impression that this symphony is constructed in layers, with the same motifs and phrases appearing in different strata of the music, alternately bubbling to the top. Hearing two readings of the work helps me to hear what is going on at different levels.

In any case, the sound on Belohlavek's recording still grates on me, but I've come to terms with it. His performance of the work is indeed marvelous, more dynamic and characterized than Jarvi's. I look forward to making my way through Martinu's symphonies again.

Mirror Image

Revisiting Thomson's performance of the 2nd since you posted this, Scarpia. Enjoying it very much indeed.

Parsifal

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 23, 2017, 08:32:57 AM
Revisiting Thomson's performance of the 2nd since you posted this, Scarpia. Enjoying it very much indeed.

I'd probably be listening to Thomson too, if my copy weren't in storage...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scarpia on October 23, 2017, 08:56:20 AM
I'd probably be listening to Thomson too, if my copy weren't in storage...

Yeah, it's a fine performance. Loved it.

vandermolen

Thomson was an underrated conductor. His Walton Symphony 1 is one of the best and I really like his Honegger, Vaughan Williams and Bax cycles.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 23, 2017, 11:29:48 PM
Thomson was an underrated conductor. His Walton Symphony 1 is one of the best and I really like his Honegger, Vaughan Williams and Bax cycles.

Thomson never recorded any Honegger to my knowledge, Jeffrey. :-\

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 24, 2017, 05:40:14 AM
Thomson never recorded any Honegger to my knowledge, Jeffrey. :-\

Sorry John, meant Martinu.  ::)

Mirror Image

vandermolen

Quote from: vandermolen on September 17, 2017, 04:01:09 AM
New release - great cover art too:
[asin]B073LYTXQZ[/asin]
One of his greatest works I think.

This is indeed a great performance and recording. Unusually sung/narrated in English and I was surprised to read that it was originally composed with an English text as Martinu thought that, for political reasons, it was less likely to be performed in Czech. I was a bit concerned when I realised that the UK's own Simon Callow was the narrator as he tends to over-act in everything I have seen him in. However, I thought that his narration here worked very well.  Possibly Martinu's masterpiece although Symphony No.4 ranks very high in my estimation. The CD is beautifully presented with full-text, photos and an interesting introductory essay. I think that this will be one of my discs of the year alongside Louis Glass's 5th Symphony and Maximilian Steinberg's 4th Symphony.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 26, 2017, 06:44:09 AM
This is indeed a great performance and recording. Unusually sung/narrated in English and I was surprised to read that it was originally composed with an English text as Martinu thought that, for political reasons, it was less likely to be performed in Czech. I was a bit concerned when I realised that the UK's own Simon Callow was the narrator as he tends to over-act in everything I have seen him in. However, I thought that his narration here worked very well.  Possibly Martinu's masterpiece although Symphony No.4 ranks very high in my estimation. The CD is beautifully presented with full-text, photos and an interesting introductory essay.

Excellent, Jeffrey! I probably don't rate this work as highly as you do, but I do need to revisit it as it's been too long. What do you make of Honeck's conducting?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2017, 06:46:50 AM
Excellent, Jeffrey! I probably don't rate this work as highly as you do, but I do need to revisit it as it's been too long. What do you make of Honeck's conducting?
Thanks John. Excellent in all respects. I found that I was riveted to the performance.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 26, 2017, 06:57:00 AM
Thanks John. Excellent in all respects. I found that I was riveted to the performance.

Very good. So you enjoy it more than the Bělohlávek?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2017, 07:02:03 AM
Very good. So you enjoy it more than the Bělohlávek?
It made a greater impression on me but maybe that's because it is sung in English.
Belohlavec was a fine conductor too so I wouldn't say that it was a superior performance John.

kishnevi

Has anyone else heard anything from this set? (I know Brian reported listening to some of it.)
[asin]B074V3CXH6[/asin]
I finished a first listen last night, and thought it pretty well done. But the pnly other recording of the symphonies I have is the Jarvi, and it's been long enough since I played anything from it that I can't make a valid comparison--much less say how it compares to Neumann or any other. But on its own merits I think it would be worth having.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on September 17, 2017, 04:01:09 AM
New release - great cover art too:
[asin]B073LYTXQZ[/asin]
One of his greatest works I think.

What a gorgeous new release of a very good work.  Highly recommended. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 26, 2017, 07:19:26 AM
It made a greater impression on me but maybe that's because it is sung in English.
Belohlavec was a fine conductor too so I wouldn't say that it was a superior performance John.

In the shopping basket it goes! Thanks for your feedback, my friend. 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 26, 2017, 08:05:50 AM
Has anyone else heard anything from this set? (I know Brian reported listening to some of it.)
[asin]B074V3CXH6[/asin]
I finished a first listen last night, and thought it pretty well done. But the pnly other recording of the symphonies I have is the Jarvi, and it's been long enough since I played anything from it that I can't make a valid comparison--much less say how it compares to Neumann or any other. But on its own merits I think it would be worth having.

I need another Martinů symphony cycle like I need a hole in the head, but you do make me rather curious about this new cycle. I'll probably pass on it, because I have yet to find a cycle that does what Thomson and Neumann do for me.