The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

To my eternal shame I have to admit that I do not like troubadour songs, drinking songs and music like that..... :-[

Q

San Antone

Quote from: Que on July 05, 2015, 12:28:45 AM
To my eternal shame I have to admit that I do not like troubadour songs, drinking songs and music like that..... :-[

Q

I discovered the variety of troubadour and trouvere songs when studying the music of Machaut.  Some good stuff by the Folger Consort but also this more recent recording

[asin]B0000240AS[/asin]

aligreto

Quote from: sanantonio on July 05, 2015, 12:25:05 AM
Good stuff; the music ofthe troubadours and trouveres is some of my favorite.  Ensemble Unicorn has a box too.

[asin]B007WB5D6Q[/asin]

I like Ensemble Unicorn and I actually have four of the individual CDs in that box set  :)

aligreto

Quote from: Que on July 05, 2015, 12:28:45 AM

Q

Perhaps like the beverages that they accompany, the songs are an acquired taste  :)

San Antone

Quote from: aligreto on July 05, 2015, 04:09:18 AM
Perhaps like the beverages that they accompany, the songs are an acquired taste  :)

The music of the troubadours and trouveres falls into two broad categories: 1) the dance-like and more raucous music and 2) the plaintiff love songs.  I don't listen to the former hardly at all but find much to enjoy in the latter.

aligreto

Early Music late at night....

I am partial to a consort of viols.

aligreto

Beautiful music beautifully sung by a well balanced and recorded ensemble.

San Antone

Don't know if this has been mentioned here -

The Rose, the Lily & the Whortleberry (Medieval Gardens in Music)
- Orlando Consort

[asin]B000BT5EDS[/asin]

I like it a lot.

Mookalafalas

A co-worker has this.  I can't find any information about it.  Does anyone know anything about it? It's an 8 disc set, released in 2013.

It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on July 31, 2015, 10:18:14 PM
A co-worker has this.  I can't find any information about it.  Does anyone know anything about it? It's an 8 disc set, released in 2013.

Al!!!!    :)

Ricercar has great online information: Here is the main page for the set

This is the tracklisting for the set with lots of specifics (pdf).
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

aligreto

This is a compilation CD which ultimately led me to explore the different composers contained therein. The music is wonderful, the performances are terrific and the sound world is enchanting. It is a great introduction to Early Music and a strong recommendation even simply as a good general listen.

aligreto

Que

Quote from: aligreto on August 01, 2015, 11:28:33 PM
Lassus: Missa Osculetur....

I thought the name of the mass looked unfamiliar, and indeed I seem to have no recording of it....
Would the Tallis be the only group to have recorded it to date? :)

Q

The new erato

In 40 years of following this repertoire, i cannot remember seeing another version.

Of all great composers (at least as regarded in the standard texts, Lassus and Palestrina are the most seriously underrecorded.)

Que

Quote from: The new erato on August 02, 2015, 12:17:07 AM
In 40 years of following this repertoire, i cannot remember seeing another version.

Of all great composers (at least as regarded in the standard texts, Lassus and Palestrina are the most seriously underrecorded.)

I agree.  Though the situation in Lassus in steadily improving - I have been able to gather quite a nice Lassus collection, be it of modest proportions. :)
Palestrina seems still to be hardly recorded at all..... ???

Q

The new erato

That is probably true, I have slightly more than a dozen Lassus discs. The Sixteen are doung a Palestrina series, unfortunately they represent a style I don't like too much in this repertoire,

Jo498

a quotation from Song of Songs I guess (He shall kiss me...) I do not know the piece.

But how does Renaissance mass nomenclature work? Sometimes they refer to a "popular" tune used somewhere in the mass (like L'homme armé), sometimes some Gregorian tune, sometimes it seems an original title, sometimes a technical hint (Missa mi-mi), sometimes I do not have a clue...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Que

Quote from: The new erato on August 02, 2015, 12:28:17 AM
That is probably true, I have slightly more than a dozen Lassus discs. The Sixteen are doung a Palestrina series, unfortunately they represent a style I don't like too much in this repertoire,

Agreed again.  :)

I have to hand it to the Brits, they are alwaysin the forefront when it comes to uncharted territory.
But I wish some continental, preferably Italian, ensembles would do more Palestrina. The ways things are going, it is only a matter of time! :)