Which composers do you associate with which GMG members?

Started by Mark, October 23, 2007, 08:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 29, 2013, 07:13:35 PM
Well, perhaps some people just have forgotten 'how to change an avatar', so have never bothered.

Perhaps, but I believe Petrarch is quite Internet savvy, so he shouldn't have any problems.

petrarch

Late Nono is some of my favorite music and program, so a photo of the composer from that period is a perfect fit. It has been my avatar since I joined and I haven't felt the urge to change (contrary to other people who don't keep their promises ;)).
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Mirror Image

Quote from: petrarch on March 29, 2013, 07:26:07 PM
Late Nono is some of my favorite music and program, so a photo of the composer from that period is a perfect fit. It has been my avatar since I joined and I haven't felt the urge to change (contrary to other people who don't keep their promises ;)).

Ooch... :-\  :P

Brian

I can only remember going through four avatars here myself, but two featured Dvorak.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on March 29, 2013, 08:14:32 PM
I can only remember going through four avatars here myself, but two featured Dvorak.

Yes, I remember one of them "And suddenly a wild Dvorak appeared..." You had one around the time you were living in London maybe of something you saw in Spain. I can't remember.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 29, 2013, 08:18:39 PM
Yes, I remember one of them "And suddenly a wild Dvorak appeared..." You had one around the time you were living in London maybe of something you saw in Spain. I can't remember.
Sara made the "wild Dvorak" one, in fact. And the picture from Spain was of a very colorful organ. :)

Moo Yai

I associate Sammy/Bulldog with Bach and Gurn with Haydn - I think just about all of the members here have pretty diverse interests so I dont classify them with just one Composer.

petrarch

Quote from: Brian on March 29, 2013, 09:20:03 PM
And the picture from Spain was of a very colorful organ. :)

Ah yes, the organ from the Sagrada Familia. Took a very similar picture myself :).
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

petrarch

Here's the avatar in context, just out of curiosity. I scanned the cover of the CD and cropped the image. This particular edition is OOP.

//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: petrarch on March 29, 2013, 06:09:42 PM
Let's not forget about the english verb spelunking, close to the original latin meaning.

We didn't forget. In fact, my use of the word is what started this minor off-topic diversion two months ago when I commented on the revival of this thread:

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 01, 2013, 09:39:00 AM
Interesting thing about this old thread (Florestan really went spelunking today, into the depths of GMG  :D ) is the discovery that we used to have a member called Lady Chatterley  :o

Sarge

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 29, 2013, 07:28:42 PM
Ooch... :-\  :P

John! ....geez, dude, you changed your avatar three times today! Trying to beat MN Dave's record?  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Beorn

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 30, 2013, 04:44:38 AM
John! ....geez, dude, you changed your avatar three times today! Trying to beat MN Dave's record?  ;D

HEY!!

petrarch

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 30, 2013, 04:42:06 AM
We didn't forget. In fact, my use of the word is what started this minor off-topic diversion two months ago when I commented on the revival of this thread:

Of course, I imagined something like that would have been at the origin of this particular tangent, but was too lazy to check earlier posts :).
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on March 29, 2013, 09:20:03 PM
Sara made the "wild Dvorak" one, in fact. And the picture from Spain was of a very colorful organ. :)

That's right. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 30, 2013, 04:44:38 AM

Sarge

Ooch...again.... :P

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2013, 05:47:13 AM
Ooch...again.... :P

I'd love to see avatars stay fixed with the posts made with them.  That way, you could the changes made by members.  However, that would be a memory clog problem for Rob, I'm sure.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 30, 2013, 05:49:20 AM
I'd love to see avatars stay fixed with the posts made with them.  That way, you could the changes made by members.  However, that would be a memory clog problem for Rob, I'm sure.

Yeah, I imagine that would clog the system up, especially with as rapidly I change my avatars. I'm settled on Hindemith for awhile right now.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2013, 05:52:34 AM
Yeah, it imagine that would clog the system up, especially with as rapidly I change my avatars. I'm settled on Hindemith for awhile right now.

The over/under betting has already started on this.  50% of proceeds go to winner, the other 50% goes to Rob in support of GMG.  Thank you (and MN Dave) for supporting GMG!  ;D

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 30, 2013, 05:58:31 AM
The over/under betting has already started on this.  50% of proceeds go to winner, the other 50% goes to Rob in support of GMG.  Thank you (and MN Dave) for supporting GMG!  ;D

;D