Ernest Bloch (1880-1959)

Started by vandermolen, April 19, 2007, 04:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 03, 2022, 06:23:13 PM
For the string quartets 1-4, this set is mandatory:

It's in excellent mono. This has to be the most rigurous performance of the massive 1st SQ. I mean, the players' stamina must is tested from start to finish.

I mean, it's the only one available....As fine as that Griller recording is, this quartet (and nos. 2-5!) is long overdue for a modern recording by an accomplished current group.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: classicalgeek on February 03, 2022, 08:17:01 AM
I just got done a "deep dive" into the music of Charles Ives, and what a rewarding experience it was! He went from someone whose music I was aware of, but not familiar with, to someone whose music and style I really appreciate and enjoy. I want to do a series of such explorations - and next up for me is Ernest Bloch. I know Schelomo, of course, but beyond that? I'm embarrassed to admit I've heard little else. :(

So, dear Blochians (Blochites? Blochheads? ;D), where do I start? I'd like to listen to some of his orchestral music, but anything is fair game.

These are my favorite non-Schelomo Bloch works:

Symphony in C-sharp minor: This magnificent late-romantic creation has absolutely nothing to envy from Mahler or Strauss, who it occasionally resembles. I mean, who could fail to be thrilled by that glorious apotheosis of an ending??

Concerto Grosso no. 1: A striking work for string orchestra and piano, filled with memorable themes and heartfelt lyricism.

Piano Quintet no. 1: One of the greatest piano quintets ever written, plain and simple. Bloch at his most searingly dramatic, darkest, and most intense. The redemptive ending is like reaching the light at the end of a long tunnel - very moving.

Evocations and Trois Poemes Juifs: I like to group these two tripartite symphonic suites together. They both show Bloch as a master of the orchestra, creating beguiling, mysterious, and even threatening "exotic" sonorites.

4 Episodes for Chamber Orchestra: Sheer inventiveness, wit, and color abound in these delicious miniatures.

I have several other favorites - Bloch was a composer of consistently high quality - but these are the ones that stand out to me at the moment and should give you a good idea of his range as a composer. Hope this was helpful! :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on February 03, 2022, 06:26:28 PM
I mean, it's the only one available....As fine as that Griller recording is, this quartet (and nos. 2-5!) is long overdue for a modern recording by an accomplished current group.

There is this, but I prefer the sound and performance of the Decca disc. And yes, a modern recording of them all is more than urgent indeed.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 03, 2022, 06:41:50 PM
There is this, but I prefer the sound and performance of the Decca disc. And yes, a modern recording of them all is more than urgent indeed.

Ah yes, you're right - but I recall not being too impressed by the Portland SQ's playing.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on February 03, 2022, 06:37:26 PM

Symphony in C-sharp minor: This magnificent late-romantic creation has absolutely nothing to envy from Mahler or Strauss, who it occasionally resembles. I mean, who could fail to be thrilled by that glorious apotheosis of an ending??

Concerto Grosso no. 1: A striking work for string orchestra and piano, filled with memorable themes and heartfelt lyricism.

Piano Quintet no. 1: One of the greatest piano quintets ever written, plain and simple. Bloch at his most searingly dramatic, darkest, and most intense. The redemptive ending is like reaching the light at the end of a long tunnel - very moving.

Evocations and Trois Poemes Juifs: I like to group these two tripartite symphonic suites together. They both show Bloch as a master of the orchestra, creating beguiling, mysterious, and even threatening "exotic" sonorites.

4 Episodes for Chamber Orchestra: Sheer inventiveness, wit, and color abound in these delicious miniatures.

I have several other favorites - Bloch was a composer of consistently high quality - but these are the ones that stand out to me at the moment and should give you a good idea of his range as a composer. Hope this was helpful! :)

+1

Moreover, the tone poems Hiver - Printemps, Helvetia and Voice in the Wilderness, whilst not as popular as other pieces, have charm and a very pictorial atmosphere.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 03, 2022, 06:46:17 PM
+1

Moreover, the tone poems Hiver - Printemps, Helvetia and Voice in the Wilderness, whilst not as popular as other pieces, have charm and a very pictorial atmosphere.

I've yet to hear Helvetia or Voice in the Wilderness. The Printemps movements from Hiver - Printemps is sheer life-affirming beauty - it belongs with Sibelius' Spring Song and Foulds' April-England as one of the finest orchestral evocations of the season.

What are everyone's thoughts on Bloch's VC? I recall listening to the first movement and finding it rather long-winded and not up to par with Bloch's best works. But maybe I need to listen to it with fresh ears.

Daverz

Quote from: kyjo on February 03, 2022, 06:52:11 PM

What are everyone's thoughts on Bloch's VC? I recall listening to the first movement and finding it rather long-winded and not up to par with Bloch's best works. But maybe I need to listen to it with fresh ears.

I used to listen to it more.  It's not my favorite Bloch or a favorite violin concerto, but still worthwhile, I think.

André

Quote from: kyjo on February 03, 2022, 06:52:11 PM
I've yet to hear Helvetia or Voice in the Wilderness. The Printemps movements from Hiver - Printemps is sheer life-affirming beauty - it belongs with Sibelius' Spring Song and Foulds' April-England as one of the finest orchestral evocations of the season.

:)

One of my favourite Bloch works. Along with the first 4 of your list, Kyle !

classicalgeek

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 03, 2022, 06:23:13 PM
For the string quartets 1-4, this set is mandatory:

It's in excellent mono. This has to be the most rigorous performance of the massive 1st SQ. I mean, the players' stamina must be tested from start to finish.

I've heard of the Griller Quartet's recording of these works. I'll definitely check it out!

I heard the Concerto Grosso no. 1 yesterday and quite enjoyed it. I get the sense Bloch was a master orchestrator in the orchestral works I heard (Sinfonia Breve, the Sacred Service), so I'm eager to check out more!

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 03, 2022, 06:46:17 PM
+1

Ooh, more orchestral stuff! Hopefully I'll be able to find them on Spotify.

Quote from: Daverz on February 03, 2022, 11:57:59 PM
I used to listen to it more.  It's not my favorite Bloch or a favorite violin concerto, but still worthwhile, I think.

Quote from: André on February 04, 2022, 04:19:14 AM
:)

One of my favourite Bloch works. Along with the first 4 of your list, Kyle !

I'll put the Violin Concerto on my listening backlog as well!

Thank you so much for all the suggestions, everyone - looks like I have at least a couple of days of listening ahead of me. Looking forward to a "Bloch Party"! :D
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

vandermolen

+2
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on February 03, 2022, 05:23:57 PM
Just listened to the Sacred Service on the Chandos recording - just lovely! Vaughan Williams is a really apt comparison.

Well, thank you! ;D
Glad you enjoyed it! Geoffrey Simon's underrated performance is my favourite.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Some likable recordings I'd like to mention.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Recently I've been listening to these recordings of Suite for Viola and Orchestra. I like the orientalism feel in the music.

W.A. Mozart

What do you think about the Concerto Grosso No. 1?

Irit Rob, piano and the Israel Chamber Orchestra conducted by Yoav Talmi

Jo498

a bit like a 20th century version of "Holberg suite". Quite pleasant but not really the most interesting one could do with neo-baroque.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

Quote from: Jo498 on May 25, 2023, 11:38:37 AMa bit like a 20th century version of "Holberg suite". Quite pleasant but not really the most interesting one could do with neo-baroque.
I agree. I like most of Bloch's works, especially:

SQ No.1 - a true epic - I like the Portland version more than some others here

VC

Piano Quintet No.1

Voice in the Wilderness

Sacred Service (espec. Geoffrey Simon version)

Suite for Viola and Orch,

Trois Poems Juifs

Evocations

Symphony in C sharp minor (an epic)

Israel Symphony (Abravanel's famous old recording will be reissued on Alto soon)

Concerto Symphonique for Piano and Orch.

kyjo

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on May 25, 2023, 08:01:46 AMWhat do you think about the Concerto Grosso No. 1?

Irit Rob, piano and the Israel Chamber Orchestra conducted by Yoav Talmi

It's a wonderful work with an immediately memorable declaratory opening, a solemn Dirge, a beautifully atmospheric Pastorale and Rustic Dances, and a vivacious final fugue. Now, my question is: what do you think about it? ;)

vandermolen

New release:

Jo498

I don't know that much by Bloch, the piece I remember and like best is the first piano quintet, but I also liked all of the quartets in the Griller set (5th is missing, I have not heard that one). Not yet heard the violin concerto.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

relm1

I also like his Concerto Symphonique.  It reminds me of Bernard Herrmann and Respighi.