Author Topic: What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)  (Read 562916 times)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)
« Reply #5920 on: February 07, 2020, 01:25:57 PM »
Wowzers at this: the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra is recreating Beethoven's wild night of premieres.

A Monumental Four-Hour Recreation of the Legendary 1808 Concert!

BEETHOVEN
Symphony No. 6 in F major, "Pastoral"
"Ah! perfido" for soprano and orchestra
"Gloria" from Mass in C major
Concerto for Fortepiano No. 4 in G major

Two-hour intermission

Symphony No. 5 in C minor
"Sanctus" from Mass in C minor (this seems to be a typo? - Brian)
Fantasia in C minor, "Choral Fantasy"

Richard Egarr, conductor and fortepiano
Mireille Asselin, soprano
Kelley O'Connor, alto
Nicholas Phan, tenor
Cody Quattlebaum, bass-baritone
David Belkovski, fortepiano
Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra & Chorale
Bruce Lamott, chorale director

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 13 @ 4PM | Herbst Theatre, San Francisco

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #5921 on: February 08, 2020, 07:59:06 AM »
A couple weeks back, I got to hear Dasol Kim play the last three Beethoven sonatas in this Beethoven year, front row and center as usual.  Kim's playing was meticulously well prepared and not particularly spontaneous, taking on a sterile sound at times, but the trade off was perfectly judged dynamics and basically flawless tempo choices throughout.  While there were a few fudges, overall the recital was extremely high grade.  There were some notable aspects.  For instance, while Kim obviously pedaled throughout, he was often quite discreet.  He never relied on stomping on the sustain during fortissimo playing, instead relying on his arms entirely.  (He never really leaned into his playing like Abduraimov does, though he was not as superhumanly poised as Moog when cranking up the volume.)  Op 110 was the comparative highlight, extremely well done, in a museum quality version, complete with a crystal clear fugue and inverted fugue and a massive buildup to the inverted fugue.  Op 111 was fast and strong in the opener, and more efficient than transcendent in the second movement, though some of his left hand playing, especially surrounding the "little stars" music, was unique and novel in my listening experience.   If DG or some other label were to release a live cycle of the 32, I would buy with no little alacrity. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #5922 on: February 09, 2020, 04:15:05 AM »
Last night at the Bridgewater Hall with the Hallé Pops (Stephen Bell - cond., Craig Ogden - guitar)

Falla - The Three Cornered Hat: Suite No.1
Rodrigo - Concierto de Arunjuez
Marquez - Danzón No.2
Chabrier - España
Bizet - Carmen (extracts)
Granados - Spanish Dances: Andaluza
Ravel - Boléro

Did enjoy the Aranjuez and the Carmen extracts. The rest of the fillers was quite pleasant but at times I found some intensity and some fire were lacking.

The Bolero, however, was an absolute hoot. Any lingering prejudice of it being an over-familiar warhorse has been blown to smithereens. Rather unexpectedly, i'd actually put that among my top live experiences. Each instrument one after the other, the build ups, the layers, the crescendos, the bombastic ending... It would be a brilliant introduction to live classical music if there ever was one. I'd see that again in a heartbeat.

Olivier

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #5923 on: February 09, 2020, 02:09:16 PM »
Similar program here last night:
BIZET:  Carmen Suite     DE FALLA 6 Spanish Songs  orch. Berio (and very nicely done)  GRANADOS Intermezzo from Goyescas,  CHABRIER España
and the Three Cornered Hat with live sand painting.    Would it take away from the music - Does the dancing take away the music from Swan Lake (or vice versa)?  Full house, for a change, the sand artist has been on America's Got Talent so a lot of non-regulars attended and the evening was well planned
Vancouver S.O.     Otto Tausk cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #5924 on: February 12, 2020, 02:13:22 PM »
I and my partner will be spending a long weekend in Bolonia, and we just got tickets for Verdi’s Falstaff at the Teatro Comunale Luciano Pavarotti in Modena  for Sunday afternoon . Luca Salsi sings the title rôle, and Jordi Bernàcer conducts.

Seeing this work (a favourite of mine) in a provincial Italian opera house, in a town which is just 80 km away from the composer’s birthplace, and which has such strong operatic associations (Pavarotti and the recently deceased Mirella Freni were both Modena natives) is rather appealing to me.  :)
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et tandis que nous roulerons, à pleins poumons nous chanterons: 'Muguet! Muguet! Joli muguet, par toi l'on reprend confiance' »

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #5925 on: February 15, 2020, 01:49:38 PM »
Bolonia

Errr, could it be (no longer Spanish-occupied it is:) Bologna, perhaps? #nonimperialistspellinghabits  ::)
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #5926 on: February 15, 2020, 01:57:44 PM »
Errr, could it be (no longer Spanish-occupied it is:) Bologna, perhaps? #nonimperialistspellinghabits  ::)
AFAIK, the city was never Spanish occupied (as it was part of the Papal States). The closest it ever came to being « Spanish » was when Charles I (or V, depending on one’s perspective) was crowned emperor there by the Pope.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 02:00:29 PM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et tandis que nous roulerons, à pleins poumons nous chanterons: 'Muguet! Muguet! Joli muguet, par toi l'on reprend confiance' »

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #5927 on: February 15, 2020, 02:19:46 PM »
AFAIK, the city was never Spanish occupied (as it was part of the Papal States). The closest it ever came to being « Spanish » was when Charles I (or V, depending on one’s perspective) was crowned emperor there by the Pope.  ;)

The deblorable Charles V - Karel V, you mean - a born & grown Dutchman/Belgian of course. Emperor of the Empire he was though, whether Bologna did like it or not (indeed not). Being crowned - either in Rome, as was Charles 'the Great' No. 1 - or in Milan(o) - as were all normal emperors - didn't matter that much. Either king or emperor: their sphere of influence always fluent, a matter of dealing with all other powers within the Holy Roman Empire. The great free city of Bolonia/Bolognia nothing less / or more / than one among many.  :-X
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948