What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: Crudblud on October 03, 2016, 05:32:58 PM
I'm looking forward to it. Do you think there would be much interest in me writing a review for the forum?

Another "yes, please." Looks like a terrific concert.

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: Crudblud on October 03, 2016, 05:32:58 PM
I'm looking forward to it. Do you think there would be much interest in me writing a review for the forum?

Absolutely! Would love to read about your experience and the performances.

Crudblud

Message received, folks. Should I make a new thread for it or is there a place here specifically for concert reviews?

North Star

I think concert reviews too have usually been posted in this thread. Looking forward to reading yours, Crudblud.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Crudblud on October 03, 2016, 08:11:41 PM
Message received, folks. Should I make a new thread for it or is there a place here specifically for concert reviews?

This is a good place. It's not too busy a thread to take reviews as well as anticipatory posts, and they are very apropos.

Obradovic

Αt the Athens Megaron

16 OCT
C. Franck: Le chasseur maudit
S. Rachmaninov: Paganini Rhapsody op.43
N. Rimsky-Korsakov: Sheherazade op.35

Nikolai Lugansky, piano
Berliner Philharmoniker
Tugan Sokhiev

26 OCT
R. Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg: Act 3 Prelude
                   Götterdämmerung: Morgendämmerung und Siegfrieds Rheinfahrt
                                                  Siegfrieds Tod und Trauermarsch
G. Mahler: Symphony No.10: Adagio
A. Berg: Drei Orchesterstücke op.6

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
Daniele Gatti

Reckoner

https://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=19445

Oct 21, London

Gibbons The Silver Swan
Strauss Four Last Songs
Brahms Ein deutsches Requiem

Crouch End Festival Chorus
David Temple conductor
Erica Eloff soprano
Benjamin Appl baritone
London Mozart Players

bhodges

Quote from: Obradovic on October 05, 2016, 02:52:30 AM
Αt the Athens Megaron

16 OCT
C. Franck: Le chasseur maudit
S. Rachmaninov: Paganini Rhapsody op.43
N. Rimsky-Korsakov: Sheherazade op.35

Nikolai Lugansky, piano
Berliner Philharmoniker
Tugan Sokhiev

26 OCT

Daniele Gatti

These look wonderful, especially the second one. I'm hearing Gatti and the Concertgebouw in a few weeks in Mahler 5.

Quote from: Reckoner on October 05, 2016, 03:12:32 AM
https://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=19445

Oct 21, London

Gibbons The Silver Swan
Strauss Four Last Songs
Brahms Ein deutsches Requiem

Crouch End Festival Chorus
David Temple conductor
Erica Eloff soprano
Benjamin Appl baritone
London Mozart Players

And another great program. I don't know Gibbons at all - don't think I've ever seen anything by him on a concert program, at least here in the U.S.

--Bruce

Mirror Image

26 OCT

Daniele Gatti

This looks like an outstanding concert. So jealous!

North Star

Quote from: Brewski on October 06, 2016, 08:18:07 AM
These look wonderful, especially the second one. I'm hearing Gatti and the Concertgebouw in a few weeks in Mahler 5.

And another great program. I don't know Gibbons at all - don't think I've ever seen anything by him on a concert program, at least here in the U.S.

--Bruce
You'll hear Gibbons in early music concerts more often, Bruce. ;)
Orlando Gibbons  (baptised 25 December 1583 – 5 June 1625)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silver_Swan_(song)

My photographs on Flickr

bhodges

Oh DOH - that Gibbons.  :-[  Somehow in context, I was thinking he was a mid-20th century Brit.

Thanks, and as they say, "never mind!"

--Bruce

Wanderer

Αt the Athens Megaron

26 OCT

Daniele Gatti

I'm also going to this.  8)

North Star

Quote from: Brewski on October 06, 2016, 09:08:10 AM
Oh DOH - that Gibbons.  :-[  Somehow in context, I was thinking he was a mid-20th century Brit.

--Bruce
Yeah, I had to check that out too, in that context.

Speaking of Renaissance and 20th C Brits, I'm sure John Taverner and John Tavener get mixed up often enough...

My photographs on Flickr

king ubu

Bought a ticket for the final show in Lucerne Saturday next week ... will be on vacation next week, but returning Friday evening. Looking forward a lot!

Luigi Nono - Prometeo

Musikalische Leitung: Clemens Heil
Szenische Einrichtung: Benedikt von Peter
Bühne: Natascha von Steiger
Kostüme: Ulrike Scheiderer
Kostüme: Andrea Pillen
Video: Bert Zander
Licht: David Hedinger
Einstudierung Chor: Mark Daver
Dramaturgie: Brigitte Heusinger
Dirigent II: Matilda Hofmann
Dirigent II: Joachim Enders

Mit: Aki Hashimoto (Sopran I), Diana Schnürpel (Sopran II), Susanne Otto (Alt I), Karin Torbjörnsdóttir (Alt II), Denzil Delaere (Tenor), Caroline Vitale (Sprecherin), Robert Maszl (Sprecher), Roberto Fabbriciani (Flöte) (09.09. / 11.09. / 12.09.), Maruta Staravoitava (Flöte) (15.09. / 18.09. / 24.09. / 30.09. / 29.09. / 08.10. / 09.10. / 15.10.) , Andrea Nagy (Klarinette / Kontrabassklarinette), Jean-Philippe Duay (Posaune), Jozsef Bazsinka (Tuba / Euphonium)

Chor des Luzerner Theaters, Experimentalstudio des SWR, Luzerner Sinfonieorchester, Statisterie des Luzerner Theaters

http://www.luzernertheater.ch/prometeo

Review (in German):
http://www.nzz.ch/feuilleton/buehne/saisoneroeffnung-am-luzerner-theater-hoerend-ins-offene-ld.116155
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

ComposerOfAvantGarde

king ubu

Quote from: jessop on October 06, 2016, 05:10:52 PM
^^^^ looks like something not to miss!!!!
Yes indeed! It was actually performed in Zurich Tonhalle last year, I think, but only one or maybe two or three times (and I missed it) - in Lucerne, there are only 250 people admitted per show, they built a sort of shakesperean "globe theatre"-like wooden structure inside the theatre and the audience sits in the centre, while the music is going on all around it ... sounds pretty intriguing. Actually I just ordered a copy of the col legno recording, but I will likely not be able to listen to it before (will be on vacation next week, pick up my mail on the same Saturday that I'm going to hear it).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Reckoner

Yep! That madrigal is only 90 seconds long or so. But on the program nonetheless. :)

SurprisedByBeauty

The Castle Is Alive With Music: The Herrenchiemsee Festival

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/10/07/the-castle-is-alive-with-music-the-herrenchiemsee-festival/#7d83cee9640a

QuoteThe Herrenchiemsee Festival is a royal treat for music, musicians, and especially audiences. Music doesn't, in times where there are few kings and still fewer royalty that actively stoke the flames of high culture, enjoy surroundings like this anymore. Imagine, if you are familiar with it, the Versailles Hall of Mirrors. Now add six feet by which this hall beats out Versailles', think the mirrors clear rather than dull, the arches of the windows higher and wider... and then sunlight flooding the floor, reaching through the white chiffon curtains as the evening sun goes down over Lake Chiemsee and the Herreninsel where Ludwig II's castle sits like a golden Bird of Paradise (actually made of brick but clad with stone and marble) on an isolated nest of green, amid the sky-blue lake. Just behind the lake, the Alps begin to rise. On a sunny day, the setting is not just breathtaking, it is surreal.

GioCar

Quote from: king ubu on October 07, 2016, 01:30:15 AM
Yes indeed! It was actually performed in Zurich Tonhalle last year, I think, but only one or maybe two or three times (and I missed it) - in Lucerne, there are only 250 people admitted per show, they built a sort of shakesperean "globe theatre"-like wooden structure inside the theatre and the audience sits in the centre, while the music is going on all around it ... sounds pretty intriguing. Actually I just ordered a copy of the col legno recording, but I will likely not be able to listen to it before (will be on vacation next week, pick up my mail on the same Saturday that I'm going to hear it).

Better for you, imo. You won't be biased. Very few listening experiences are comparable to a live performance of Prometeo.
Oh, I really wish I could be there as well...

The new erato

--Bruce
Or ZZ top.