What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Quote from: king ubu on March 05, 2017, 03:57:46 AM
Anyway, so Mahler 6 it was, with Tonhalle Orchestra/David Zinman - and impressive it was, mightily so! I was pretty dumbfounded in the end, and probably had a stupid *what the fegh is going on here?!? is this real?!?" look on my face for those 82 or 85 or so minutes ... the mixture of classical form (well, kind of) and the modernity of the sounds, the endless variety of shades and colours, was most intriguing to witness in concert. Actually as a comparative newbie, seing works played live often helps me figure out better which section contributes what - no way when listening at home that I could tell apart contributions by first and second violins, or make out the various combinations of woodwinds used (actually I don't think I ever saw such a big woodwinds section ... I saw the same or even larger numbers of brass - the guy on tuba had a lot of work to do!). All in all, it was pretty tremendous, though I have no clear grasp of what I actually heard (that feeling was much stronger still than when I first heard a Bruckner symphony a few months back). I don't think I'll dip into Mahler very soon, but I am looking forward to exploring my own private Mahler library that I have been building for a few years for that day (it includes the mixed EMI complete works box, some Barbirolli, the Mitropolous M&A set, cycles/boxes by Boulez, Tennstedt, Inbal, Bertini, Bernstein, Haitink, Kubelík, Levine, Abbado, and of course the Zinman cycle by my homies).

Here's a review of the first (of three) nights (I was at the second):
http://seenandheard-international.com/2017/03/zinman-welcomed-back-to-the-tonhalle-for-stirring-mahler-sixth/
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

eljr

Tonight at Lincoln Center, David Geffen Hall, NYC

Alan Gilbert
Conductor

New York Philharmonic String Quartet

Program
John Adams
Absolute Jest

John Adams
Harmonielehre

Alan Gilbert marks the 70th birthday of the great American composer John Adams with Absolute Jest, a riff on Beethoven (especially some notable "scherzos," the "jest" of the title), and the exhilarating and popular Harmonielehre. This compelling fusion of minimalism and late Romanticism — pulsing rhythms, big chords, and shimmering textures — creates an unforgettable musical journey.
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

TheGSMoeller

making plans for my summer Chicago trip. Hopefully in time to see this concert by the Grant Park Symphony with Simone Young conducting. Plus I never seen domestica live and always wanted to, but have rarely seen it programmed in the US.

Grant Park Orchestra
Simone Young, Guest Conductor
Andrew Tyson, Piano

Hindson: Headbanger
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 2
Strauss: Symphonia domestica

kishnevi

Quote from: eljr on March 09, 2017, 02:22:31 AM
Tonight at Lincoln Center, David Geffen Hall, NYC

Alan Gilbert
Conductor

New York Philharmonic String Quartet

Program
John Adams
Absolute Jest

John Adams
Harmonielehre

Alan Gilbert marks the 70th birthday of the great American composer John Adams with Absolute Jest, a riff on Beethoven (especially some notable "scherzos," the "jest" of the title), and the exhilarating and popular Harmonielehre. This compelling fusion of minimalism and late Romanticism — pulsing rhythms, big chords, and shimmering textures — creates an unforgettable musical journey.

Enjoy.  I mentioned Absolute Jest the other day as a fine example of a concerto for string quartet.

NikF

Just got the new brochure for the RSNO 2017/2018 season. There's a lot I want to attend and the first I've bought tickets for is one of those lovely Sunday afternoon chamber recitals -

Vanhal: Divertimento in G for Violin, Viola and Double Bass.
Christopher Gough: RSNO Commission for Quintet.
Prokofiev: Quintet in G minor.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I might go see Andrew Davis conduct Mahler 7 and a new piece for choir and orchestra by Paul Stanhope on Saturday but idk yet. Stanhope gave a lecture about the piece yesterday afternoon and we got to hear a recording of the most recent rehearsal with orchestra which was very cool!

NikF

Quote from: jessop on March 09, 2017, 03:18:15 PM
I might go see Andrew Davis conduct Mahler 7 and a new piece for choir and orchestra by Paul Stanhope on Saturday but idk yet. Stanhope gave a lecture about the piece yesterday afternoon and we got to hear a recording of the most recent rehearsal with orchestra which was very cool!

Last year I decided that if I found myself in two minds about attending a concert or not, I should choose to go. I enjoy concerts and I like the small part my money might play in ensuring more performances are forthcoming.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Todd

Looking forward to the closing night performance of Kát'a Kabanová at Seattle Opera on Saturday. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: NikF on March 09, 2017, 04:18:48 PM
Last year I decided that if I found myself in two minds about attending a concert or not, I should choose to go. I enjoy concerts and I like the small part my money might play in ensuring more performances are forthcoming.

Hm, my commission money came through so why not then :)

NikF

NikF

Another of the Sunday afternoon chamber recitals.

Bottesini: Grand Duo Concertante
Mozart: String Duo No2 K424
Martinů: Duo No1, 3 Madrigals
Sperger: Duo for Viola and Double Bass
Haydn: Baryton Trio in D major

In the course of a short chat with Gurn Blanston we discussed how little I'd heard of Haydn. And that's a fine example illustrating one of the ways in which I benefit from this forum; sometimes recommendations are made directly, while others are the result of a simple comment on the passing combining with what I might have already heard. Then my interest is usually piqued enough to follow it up. That's happened so many times now and led me to some good stuff. :)

ritter

Just got tickets for the opera Le Malentendu, with music by Argentine-Spanish Fabián Panisello and libretto (after Camus) by my friend Juan Lucas. The work was premiered last year in Buenos Aires, and has since been given in Vienna and Warsaw. At the Teatros del Canal here in Madrid (just a 5 minute walk from my home), on March 23rd.

eljr

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 09, 2017, 09:46:28 AM
Enjoy.  I mentioned Absolute Jest the other day as a fine example of a concerto for string quartet.

I did enjoy, thanks!

It was great to see Mr Adams so happy with the presentation of his works.
Very heart warming.

Next up, Philip Glass' 80th birthday benefit concert just a few blocks away at Carnegie Hall.

How special is that, seeing two of the greatest living American composer in the same week on such wonderful occasions?
Philip Glass

eljr

Quote from: NikF on March 09, 2017, 04:18:48 PM
Last year I decided that if I found myself in two minds about attending a concert or not, I should choose to go.

great advise!
Philip Glass

North Star

A couple of concerts I might be attending:

March 19th
Horn Quartet Puijon Torvi:

Soila Häkkinen, violin
Peter Gospodinov, cello
Anna Immonen, soprano

Nikolai Tcherepnin: 6 Pieces for horn quartet (1910)
Vaughan Williams: Along the Field (1927)
--------
Ravel: Sonata for violin & cello (1920-1922)
Hindemith: Sonata for horn quartet  (1952)

April 23rd

Paavali Jumppanen

Jaakko Kuusisto: Jurmo op. 31
John Adams: Phrygian Gates
Liszt: Au bord d’une Source
Liszt: La Lugubre Gondola
Liszt: Nuages Gris
Liszt:  Sonata in B minor
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on March 12, 2017, 05:47:19 AM
A couple of concerts I might be attending:

March 19th
Horn Quartet Puijon Torvi:

Soila Häkkinen, violin
Peter Gospodinov, cello
Anna Immonen, soprano

Nikolai Tcherepnin: 6 Pieces for horn quartet (1910)
Vaughan Williams: Along the Field (1927)
--------
Ravel: Sonata for violin & cello (1920-1922)
Hindemith: Sonata for horn quartet  (1952)

April 23rd

Paavali Jumppanen

Jaakko Kuusisto: Jurmo op. 31
John Adams: Phrygian Gates
Liszt: Au bord d'une Source
Liszt: La Lugubre Gondola
Liszt: Nuages Gris
Liszt: Sonata

Most interesting throughout. And I don't know why I bothered to highlight those, because I'm getting to the stage where I'd attend almost any concert with pleasure. ;D

king ubu

Lucerne Summer Festival:

Sun, Aug 20, 10:30

Orchester der LUCERNE FESTIVAL ACADEMY 
Heinz Holliger  Dirigent
Patricia Kopatchinskaja  Violine

Claude Debussy (1862–1918)
Khamma (orchestriert von Charles Koechlin)

Charles Koechlin (1867–1950)
Les Bandar-log (Scherzo de singes) op. 176

Heinz Holliger (*1939)
Violinkonzert Hommage à Louis Soutter

Sun, 20 Aug, 16:00

Camerata Zürich  (Igor Karsko Musikalische Leitung)
Thomas Demenga  Violoncello
Thomas Sarbacher  Sprecher

Josef Suk (1874–1935)
Meditation über den altböhmischen St.-Wenzels-Choral op. 35a

Antonín Dvořák (1841–1904)
Waldesruhe op. 68 Nr. 5
Rondo g-Moll für Violoncello und Orchester op. 94
Slawischer Tanz g-Moll op. 46 Nr. 8 (bearbeitet für Violoncello und Orchester)

Leoos Janáček (1854–1928)
Auf verwachsenem Pfade
bearbeitet für Streichorchester von Daniel Rumler
Texte von Maïa Brami  Texte von Maïa Brami 

Tue, 22 Aug, 19:30

English Baroque Soloists 
Monteverdi Choir 
Sir John Eliot Gardiner  Dirigent und Regie
Elsa Rooke  Regie

Krystian Adam  Orfeo
Hana Blažiková  La Musica, Euridice
Kangmin Justin Kim  Speranza
Anna Dennis  Ninfa
Lucile Richardot  Messaggiera
Francesca Boncompagni  Proserpina
Gianluca Buratto  Caronte, Plutone
Furio Zanasi  Apollo
und weitere Solisten 

Claudio Monteverdi (1567–1643)
L'Orfeo
Favola in musica in einem Prolog und fünf Akten

Sun, Aug 27, 13:00

Patricia Kopatchinskaja  Violine
Jay Campbell  Violoncello
Polina Leschenko  Klavier

George Enescu (1881–1955)
Sonate für Violine und Klavier Nr. 3 a-Moll op. 25 Dans le caractère populaire roumain

Zoltán Kodály (1882–1967)
Duo für Violine und Violoncello op. 7

Maurice Ravel (1875–1937)
Tzigane. Konzertrhapsodie für Violine und Klavier

Sun, Aug 27, 15:00

Ensemble der LUCERNE FESTIVAL ACADEMY 
Frédérique Cambreling  Harfe

Béla Bartók (1881–1945)
Ausgewählte Duos für zwei Violinen

Heinz Holliger (*1939)
Partita für Harfe
Uraufführung

Sándor Veress (1813–1992)
Diptychon für Bläserquintett 

Sun, Aug 27, 17:00 (free entrance ... I may have to skip the Veress if I want to go there)

Pascal Mayer  Dirigent
Vokalensemble und Orchester des Collegium Musicum Luzern 
Solisten 

Marc-Antoine Charpentier (1643–1704)
Messe à 8 voix et 8 violons et flûtes H3

Looking forward a lot ... would have loved to catch the other two Monteverdi operas with Gardiner as well, but they'll do "Poppea" at Zurich opera next season an from Aug 22 to 26, I'll likely end up at Météo in Mulhouse (skipping opening night again, as last year, to catch "L'Orfeo") ... not sure how much music I'll be able to take in, but no way I'll be missing out on PatKop doing Enescu's third sonata! The concert two hours later doesn't cost much, so depending on my mood, I may skip it in favour of the Charpentier mass ... or I may just call it a - very intense - week and go home to sleep ... just making sure I won't have to work on Monday right now  :P
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

André

Yannick Nézet-Séguin's Orchestre Métropolitain has unveiled its concert season for 2017-18.

Apart from a concert featuring the Strauss Burleske and Bruckner's 5th symphony, I look forward to this one, with a trio of great soloists:

http://orchestremetropolitain.com/en/concert/the-french-touch/

Spineur

Quote from: André on March 13, 2017, 10:59:14 AM
Yannick Nézet-Séguin's Orchestre Métropolitain has unveiled its concert season for 2017-18.

Apart from a concert featuring the Strauss Burleske and Bruckner's 5th symphony, I look forward to this one, with a trio of great soloists:

http://orchestremetropolitain.com/en/concert/the-french-touch/
Yes ! This should be a knockout ! Les nuits d'été and the left hand concerto in the same concert that is already a treat.  And Lemieux, Tharaud and Queyras together whaouh !  I am particularly fond of Tharaud and Queyras, who have extremely interesting personalities. Give us some feedback about this concert.

Drasko

Mahler 6th on Friday. Belgrade Philharmonic with John Axelrod conducting.