What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 18, 2017, 02:19:05 PM
Really looking forward to this concert:

https://www.atlantasymphony.org/ConcertsAndTickets/Calendar/2017-2018/CS13-Shostakovich-Rachmaninov

Two of my favorite works by two of my favorite composers.

You forgot to mention great conductor and soloist.  ;)
That was a concert I was definitely interested in if I had stayed in Atlanta.
Enjoy, John!

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 18, 2017, 05:52:55 PM
You forgot to mention great conductor and soloist.  ;)
That was a concert I was definitely interested in if I had stayed in Atlanta.
Enjoy, John!

Yes, of course. It does look like a fine program indeed. Thanks.

kyjo

Really looking forward to a free concert tomorrow night at my university featuring the chamber music of Italian composer Franco Alfano (1875-1954), who is most famous for completing Puccini's Turandot (the title of the concert is Transcending Turandot). The artists, Elmira Darvarova (violin), Samuel Magill (cello), and Blair McMillen (piano), have recorded two discs of Alfano's chamber music for Naxos (which I haven't heard yet, but I've read some very positive reviews). I'll be sure to report back :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

bhodges

Tonight, Blank Out, the 3-D opera by Michel van der Aa. Yes, we will be wearing special glasses.  8)

--Bruce

nodogen

Solo piano is probably my favourite oevre currently. Next week I'm going to hear Benjamin Grosvenor perform the following:

Bach
French Suite no.5

Brahms
Four pieces for solo piano, op.119

Dean
Hommage a Brahms

Debussy
Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune

Berg
Sonata, op.1

Ravel
Gaspard de la Nuit

On paper I think I'm looking forward to the Ravel most but then I don't know one or two of the others.

NikF

Tomorrow night in Cardiff -

Glinka: Ruslan and Lyudmila overture
Shostakovich: Cello Concerto No 1 in E flat major
Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade

Conductor: Michael Seal
BBC National Orchestra of Wales
Cello: Sheku Kanneh-Mason
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Senta

Quote from: Brewski on September 21, 2017, 08:52:43 AM
Tonight, Blank Out, the 3-D opera by Michel van der Aa. Yes, we will be wearing special glasses.  8)

--Bruce

Would like to hear how this was, Bruce! Sounds very cool!

bhodges

Quote from: Senta on September 23, 2017, 03:39:56 PM
Would like to hear how this was, Bruce! Sounds very cool!

Since I'm doing a formal review for Musical America, I don't want to spill too many details, but yes, it was quite cool. Most of the show, soprano Miah Persson was singing in front of a giant screen, with baritone Roderick Williams recorded, appearing onscreen behind her. The tech work was often quite marvelous, but in a subtle way. Would love to see it again, and in the best of all worlds, a DVD would be in the works. (Have no idea whether that is planned or not.)

--Bruce

bhodges

I don't often post my reviews here, since lately many of them are behind paywalls (e.g., Musical America and The Strad). But here's one on Seen and Heard, of a most interesting festival called Resonant Bodies, focusing on new vocal music.

http://seenandheard-international.com/2017/09/singers-curate-themselves-in-a-vocal-wonderland/

--Bruce

Brian

Tonight!

Beethoven: Piano Concerto No 5
Beethoven: Symphony No 3

Rudolf Buchbinder, piano
Dallas Symphony
James Feddeck (originally intended as a "Jaap Conducts Beethoven" part of Jaap van Zweden's farewell season, but Jaap is attending a family emergency in Amsterdam. I've never heard of James Feddeck)

Spineur

Two operas are coming

Attila (Verdi) at the Opera de Lyon.  They are making a serie of Operas and concerts related to war.  They just did the war requiem (Britten) and they are also doing Janacek The Diary of the one who disappeared next january.

La Clemenza di Tito; Opera de Paris.  This is the teaser video

https://www.youtube.com/v/j1XHtXeHT08

Obradovic

31 OCT in the brand new spectacular National Opera Theatre-Stavros Niarchos Foundation

Richard Strauss: Elektra
Agnes Baltsa, Sabine Hofgreve, Dimitris Tiliakos
Conductor: Vassilis Christopoulos

NikF

Royal Festival Hall, London.

Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 7

London Philharmonic Orchestra
Andrés Orozco-Estrada - conductor
Inon Barnatan - piano

(The following evening I'll be at the Royal Ballet to see 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'.)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

GioCar

Next Thursday:

Teatro alla Scala Chorus and Orchestra
Conductor   Daniele Gatti
Chorus Master   Bruno Casoni
Soprano   Miah Persson
Contralto   Christianne Stotijn

Gustav Mahler   Symphony No 2 in C min "Resurrection"
for soprano, contralto, mixed chorus and orchestra, from Klopstock's hymn "Resurrection"

Always a big fun seeing Mahler 2 live  :)

Christo

Quote from: Brian on September 30, 2017, 12:44:34 PMpart of Jaap van Zweden's farewell season, but Jaap is attending a family emergency in Amsterdam
Jaap van Zweden's private live is often affected by that of one of their sons, who suffers from a heavy form of autism. 'In 1997 Jaap van Zweden and his wife, Aaltje, established the Papageno Foundation with the objective of supporting families of children with autism. Over the years, the support from Papageno has taken shape through a number of programs in which professional music therapists and musicians receive additional training in using music as a major tool for working with autistic children. Papageno House, a new home for autistic young adults and children, was opened in Laren, the Netherlands, in August 2015, with Her Majesty Queen Maxima in attendance.'
But this might well be about the older generation.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Wanderer

30 October at the Megaron Concert Hall, Athens

Beethoven - Leonore

Freiburger Barockorchester

Zürcher Sing-Akademie

René Jacobs - conductor

Tareq Nazmi - bass, Don Fernando

Johannes Weisser - baritone, Don Pizarro

Maximilian Schmitt - tenor, Florestan

Marlis Petersen - soprano, Leonore

Dimitry Ivashchenko - bass, Rocco

Robin Johannsen - soprano, Marzelline

n.t.b.

Quote from: Obradovic on October 13, 2017, 06:51:56 AM
31 OCT in the brand new spectacular National Opera Theatre-Stavros Niarchos Foundation

Richard Strauss: Elektra
Agnes Baltsa, Sabine Hofgreve, Dimitris Tiliakos
Conductor: Vassilis Christopoulos

I have tickets for 26 October.  8)

Obradovic

TheGSMoeller

So far November is looking good, with two works I'm seeing performed live for the first time.

Nov. 4th,

Nashville Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
Haydn: The Creation
Nicholas McGegan - conductor
Ashley Valentine - soprano | Isaiah Bell - tenor | Anthony Reed - bass

Nov. 18th,

Lyric Opera of Chicago
Wagner: Die Walküre
Sir Andrew Davis - conductor
Christine Goerke - Brünnhilde
Elisabet Strid - Sieglinde
Brandon Jovanovich - Siegmund
Eric Owens - Wotan
Ain Anger - Hunding

https://www.youtube.com/v/j5f8eQmaBwY

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 01, 2017, 12:22:01 PM

Nov. 18th,

Lyric Opera of Chicago
Wagner: Die Walküre
Sir Andrew Davis - conductor
Christine Goerke - Brünnhilde
Elisabet Strid - Sieglinde
Brandon Jovanovich - Siegmund
Eric Owens - Wotan
Ain Anger - Hunding

https://www.youtube.com/v/j5f8eQmaBwY

OOoooooh who is the stage director/production designer of this one and what do you think of their ideas here? Certainly looks interesting, somewhat like a circus? I would like to see how it complements the themes/libretto. Hope you have fun.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Dang, I have lost count of the concerts I have attended recently.  :(
However there is one tonight and tomorrow night where I am performing Beethoven's Symphony no. 9 with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (preceded by Absolute Jest by John Adams) and I think this will be pretty good!