What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: jessop on November 01, 2017, 02:34:39 PM
OOoooooh who is the stage director/production designer of this one and what do you think of their ideas here? Certainly looks interesting, somewhat like a circus? I would like to see how it complements the themes/libretto. Hope you have fun.

Hi, Jessop.
David Pountney is the director... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Pountney ...who also was in charge of last years Das Rheingold production at Lyric Opera of Chicago. Not sure if David's doing the other two from the Ring in 2018/2019, but I would guess he is. He's a promo video of Rheingold...

https://www.youtube.com/v/9LnxBT4JoPc

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: jessop on November 01, 2017, 02:36:23 PM
Dang, I have lost count of the concerts I have attended recently.  :(
However there is one tonight and tomorrow night where I am performing Beethoven's Symphony no. 9 with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (preceded by Absolute Jest by John Adams) and I think this will be pretty good!

Are you in the MSO?

ComposerOfAvantGarde

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 01, 2017, 02:43:51 PM
Hi, Jessop.
David Pountney is the director... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Pountney ...who also was in charge of last years Das Rheingold production at Lyric Opera of Chicago. Not sure if David's doing the other two from the Ring in 2018/2019, but I would guess he is. He's a promo video of Rheingold...

This looks interesting. Not so much a fan of the costumes but the sets looks wonderful.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: jessop on November 01, 2017, 02:54:09 PM
In the chorus, so I am not in the John Adams piece

That's cool. Andrew Davis is still the music director there right? He's also the MD for Lyric Opera of Chicago, I've seen him conduct Wozzeck, and Parsifal there so far, but my brother, who plays in Lyric, always speaks highly of Davis.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

For comparison here is our Ring production which I enjoyed very much when I saw it last year (a slightly different cast for the 2016 version)

https://www.youtube.com/v/5q99nFls7Yg
https://www.youtube.com/v/hhn-rtSQNRU

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 01, 2017, 02:57:29 PM
That's cool. Andrew Davis is still the music director there right? He's also the MD for Lyric Opera of Chicago, I've seen him conduct Wozzeck, and Parsifal there so far, but my brother, who plays in Lyric, always speaks highly of Davis.

Yep he is and he is really fun (always a very bubbly and delightful character in rehearsals). Next year looks particularly good for him conducting music he is particularly passionate about: Elgar's Dream of Gerontius and Berlioz's L'Enfance du Christ with us.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: jessop on November 01, 2017, 03:04:59 PM
Yep he is and he is really fun (always a very bubbly and delightful character in rehearsals). Next year looks particularly good for him conducting music he is particularly passionate about: Elgar's Dream of Gerontius and Berlioz's L'Enfance du Christ with us.

Wow, two great works I would love to see. Good luck with them, jessop!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 01, 2017, 03:06:29 PM
Wow, two great works I would love to see. Good luck with them, jessop!
Thanks. I will keep you posted about the recording of the latter on the Chandos label.

bhodges

Greg, I have heard great things about that Chicago production (and on Facebook I follow Christine Goerke, who has had some fun comments on it). It looks quite entertaining.

And jessop, congrats on the Beethoven 9! That's an interesting coupling, with the Adams.

--Bruce

ritter

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 01, 2017, 02:43:51 PM
Hi, Jessop.

At his request, as a birthday present for my son (who's in law school in Bloomington, IN and will drive up to Chicago for this), I bought tickets for him and his girlfriend for that same performance on Nov. 18th. He already saw Das Rheingold a couple of seasons ago, and liked it. It turns out this production of the Ring is shared between the Lyric Opera and the Teatro Real here in Madrid. I still haven't seen any dates for performances this side of the Atlantic (I suppose we'll get Rheingold in the 2018/2019 season, or the following one).

My son is turning out to be quite a wagnerian  ::), and this'll be his fourth live Walküre IIRC (the Willy Decker production--co-produced with the Dresden Opera--here in Madrid when he was still a young boy (Peter Schneider at the helm of the orchestra), Sven-Eric Bechtolf's staging, conducted by F. Welser-Möst in Vienna some time later, then the complete Castorf-K. Petrenko Ring in Bayreuth in 2014, and now this)...

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ritter on November 02, 2017, 06:39:36 AM
At his request, as a birthday present for my son (who's in law school in Bloomington, IN and will drive up to Chicago for this), I bought tickets for him and his girlfriend for that same performance on Nov. 18th. He already saw Das Rheingold a couple of seasons ago, and liked it. It turns out this production of the Ring is shared between the Lyric Opera and the Teatro Real here in Madrid. I still haven't seen any dates for performances this side of the Atlantic (I suppose we'll get Rheingold in the 2018/2019 season, or the following one).

Very cool, ritter! I may unknowingly bump into your son that night  ;D Thanks for sharing.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on November 02, 2017, 06:39:36 AM

My son is turning out to be quite a wagnerian  ::), and this'll be his fourth live Walküre IIRC (the Willy Decker production--co-produced with the Dresden Opera--here in Madrid when he was still a young boy--, Sven-Eric Bechtolf's staging, conducted by F W-M in Vienna some time later, then the complete Castorf-K. Petrenko Ring in Bayreuth in 2014, and now this)...

That was very generous of you, Rafael. Your son is lucky to have a father like you.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Brewski on November 02, 2017, 06:13:28 AM
And jessop, congrats on the Beethoven 9! That's an interesting coupling, with the Adams.

--Bruce

Quite an un-adventurous coupling probably, but fun music nonetheless and a good way to get Beethoven in the audience's mind in a different kind of way.

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 01, 2017, 12:22:01 PM

Nov. 18th,

Lyric Opera of Chicago
Wagner: Die Walküre
Sir Andrew Davis - conductor
Christine Goerke - Brünnhilde
Elisabet Strid - Sieglinde
Brandon Jovanovich - Siegmund
Eric Owens - Wotan
Ain Anger - Hunding

https://www.youtube.com/v/j5f8eQmaBwY

Great Odin on toast!  Wouldn't the Valkyrie on flying horses without the visible mechanics by that much more magical than a post-modern 'see all the machinery' approach?  I don't need the thing looking like a historic reproduction of the original production (look up some pictures, the most devoted Wagnerites would not be able to keep their selves from laughing in derision.) But this stage business is like explaining a magic trick, thereby ruining any sense of magic!
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on November 04, 2017, 02:41:34 AM
Great Odin on toast!  Wouldn't the Valkyrie on flying horses without the visible mechanics by that much more magical than a post-modern 'see all the machinery' approach?  I don't need the thing looking like a historic reproduction of the original production (look up some pictures, the most devoted Wagnerites would not be able to keep their selves from laughing in derision.) But this stage business is like explaining a magic trick, thereby ruining any sense of magic!

If the mechanics are visible, then it is to make some kind of symbolic point. Perhaps to highlight the fact that it all fake, staged in that post-modern sense. Obviously it would have to be in line with the themes of the libretto and what the director interprets from it. It just gives us something to think about really. The director's interpretation is just as important as everything else.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 01, 2017, 12:22:01 PM

Nov. 4th,

Nashville Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
Haydn: The Creation
Nicholas McGegan - conductor
Ashley Valentine - soprano | Isaiah Bell - tenor | Anthony Reed - bass

Just back from this concert. A thumbs up from me, beautifully played and sung. Although it could've used a little more strength, and played with more authority in areas. Perhaps that was McGegan's intention, but I've gotten used to Bernstein, and most recently McCreesh/Gabrieli Consort & Players, displaying a level of vigor that was lacking tonight. However, it was extremely lovely, and I was very pleased to see The Creation programmed.

NikF

Last night before one concert I bought tickets for a couple of concerts, with this perhaps being the most interesting -

Trad.:Finnish Folk Music
Sibelius: Kullervo

Cond. - Dausgaard
Scottish Symphony Orchestra

Helena Juntunen - soprano
Benjamin Appl - baritone
Lunds Studentsångare - choir

Directly afterwards there's an end of season party, which I might force my shy and retiring self to attend.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

king ubu

Friday my first concert at the new interim Tonhalle at Maag hall ... Franz Welser-Möst will conduct Bruckner 8 - this wil be my first listen. Saturday, same place, Nicolas Altstaedt and Alexander Lonquich will play all five Beethoven cello sonatas.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

GioCar

Wednesday, November 15. An exciting evening.

At La Scala, the Messa per Rossini, for soloists, chorus and orchestra.
Quoting wikipedia: The Messa per Rossini is a Requiem Mass composed to commemorate the first anniversary of Gioachino Rossini's death. It was a collaboration among 13 Italian composers, initiated by Giuseppe Verdi.

Here's the structure of the work:

Antonio Buzzola: Requiem e Kyrie

Antonio Bazzini: Dies irae
Carlo Pedrotti: Tuba mirum
Antonio Cagnoni: Quid sum miser
Federico Ricci: Recordare Jesu pie
Alessandro Nini: Ingemisco
Raimondo Boucheron: Confutatis maledictis
Carlo Coccia: Lacrimosa e Amen

Gaetano Gaspari: Offertorio

Pietro Platania: Sanctus

Lauro Rossi: Agnus Dei

Teodulo Mabellini: Lux aeterna

Giuseppe Verdi: Libera me, Domine

Teatro alla Scala Chorus and Orchestra
Conductor: Riccardo Chailly
Chorus Master: Bruno Casoni
Soprano: Maria José Siri
Mezzo-soprano: Veronica Simeoni
Tenor: Giorgio Berrugi
Baritone: Simone Piazzola
Bass: Riccardo Zanellato

Discovered only in 1986 in the Ricordi archives, had its premiere in Stuttgard two years later but, AFAIK, it has never been performed at La Scala before.
Wiki mention one recording I have never heard of.
Surely I'll be liking Verdi's contribution - which was the basis for the same section of his Messa da Requiem - but for the rest I don't know what to expect.
Very intriguing anyway.