What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on November 15, 2008, 07:26:24 AM
Today...
Well, I hope they are recording those concerts. I'm jealous over here.  ;D

It would be a way for CPO to offer a Rach PC cycle. I don't know if it's possible though (is Gavrilov still under contract with EMI?).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Drasko

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 15, 2008, 07:49:46 AM
(is Gavrilov still under contract with EMI?).

Sarge

He moved to DG ages ago, but doubt he has a contract with them anymore. Not sure he recorded anything for over a decade.

karlhenning

Senta

Quote from: Brian on November 15, 2008, 07:26:24 AM
4pm - R. Strauss - "Til Eulenspiegel, einmal Anders!" Op. 28 (arr. Franz Hasenöhrl for horn, clarinet, bassoon, double bass and violin; 1954); Brahms clarinet quintet and string quintet No 2

Yes, ditto for me, actually I'm leaving quite soon to get up there for the Brahms and Strauss...and the Symphony concert as well (Brian is the beneficiary of the free tickets they sent trying to lure me back as subscriber  :D)

The program is as follows:

Shostakovich:
Tahiti Trot (Tea for Two)
Shostakovich/Atovmyan: Two Selections from The Gadfly
Shostakovich: Piano Concerto No. 1
Picker: Old and Lost Rivers
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 2, Little Russian

Houston Symphony
Hans Graf, conductor
Jon Kimura Parker, piano
Mark Hughes, trumpet

I am greatly looking forward to hearing those lighter DSCH bits as well as my favorite concerto for piano and trumpet.  ;) Should be fun!

MishaK

Just heard Staatskapelle Dresden with Luisi do Don Quixote and Brahms 4 (+Oberon Overture encore). Wonderful! I'm really digging Luisi. Fantastic sense of dramatic structure. Looking forward to a month from now when he comes back to town to conduct the CSO in Symphonie fantastique.

Senta

The above Houston concert was good last night...they're trying out some new concertmasters there and we really dug this week's, whose name is Nathan Cole...

All the Shostakovich was a blast, played extremely well, asst. conductor Brett Mitchell did a nice job on the lighter selections. Jon Kimura Parker was a hoot on the PC 1, really dancing in his seat in the last mvmt and milking the jokey bits for all they were worth. 2nd mvmt was magical as well from both piano and orch.

The Picker piece, played as part of the ongoing 20th anniversary of their Fanfare Project, was totally lost in this program of Russian comedy - just a nice and forgettable mishmosh of pretty chords with no real arrival point.

Tchaik 2nd was fun and energetically played, still a strange piece to me, but overall just great to hear live (I never had before!)

I also stopped by the Rice Chamber Music Festival earlier that day to hear some great Brahms, Clarinet and Piano Quintets were highlight performances.

PerfectWagnerite

This Saturday at the Tilles Performing Arts Center in Long Island, Fabio Luisi and the Staatskapelle Dresden perform Beethoven's 1st PC and Brahms final symphony, with Yundi Li as soloist in the Beethoven. It's funny I heard Lang Lang play the exact same piece with the NYPO only a couple of weeks earlier.

rockerreds

Quote from: Senta on November 16, 2008, 06:24:16 PM
The above Houston concert was good last night...they're trying out some new concertmasters there and we really dug this week's, whose name is Nathan Cole...

All the Shostakovich was a blast, played extremely well, asst. conductor Brett Mitchell did a nice job on the lighter selections. Jon Kimura Parker was a hoot on the PC 1, really dancing in his seat in the last mvmt and milking the jokey bits for all they were worth. 2nd mvmt was magical as well from both piano and orch.

The Picker piece, played as part of the ongoing 20th anniversary of their Fanfare Project, was totally lost in this program of Russian comedy - just a nice and forgettable mishmosh of pretty chords with no real arrival point.

Tchaik 2nd was fun and energetically played, still a strange piece to me, but overall just great to hear live (I never had before!)

I also stopped by the Rice Chamber Music Festival earlier that day to hear some great Brahms, Clarinet and Piano Quintets were highlight performances.

Living here in Philadelphia I got to hear Nathan Cole many times when he was a student at Curtis-excellent.

SonicMan46

Well, don't post to this thread often - a lot offered in my area, but guess that I'm just an 'ole man' preferring to stay at home and play my CDs -  ;D

But, coming up this Sunday is a concert by our local Winston-Salem Symphony devoted to Leonard Bernstein - called Lenny's Spiritual Side - his daughter will be present - looking forward to the event!  :D

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Cato on November 15, 2008, 04:51:31 AM
For our anniversary we will drive to Cincinnati next Saturday to hear the CSO play the Dvorak Violin Concerto  (Julia Fischer and Paavo Järvi) and then Holst's The Planets.

A Bruckner Eighth Symphony in Cleveland easily trumped this in my opinion, but my wife and Bruckner are maybe not the best of friends   :o  and it is our anniversary (30 years) after all, and the rule always is for the Intelligent Husband: "Keep Your Wife Happy, and then You Will Be Happy!"   0:)

Congratulations ! :D

imperfection

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on November 17, 2008, 07:29:21 AM
This Saturday at the Tilles Performing Arts Center in Long Island, Fabio Luisi and the Staatskapelle Dresden perform Beethoven's 1st PC and Brahms final symphony, with Yundi Li as soloist in the Beethoven. It's funny I heard Lang Lang play the exact same piece with the NYPO only a couple of weeks earlier.

Did he suck, like usual?

AB68

3. December
Laeiszhalle, Hamburg
St.Paul Chamber Orchestra
Soloist and conductor Nikolaj Znaider

Stravinsky, Concerto in D
Mozart, Violin Concerto No. 5
*** Intermission ***
Beethoven, Coriolan Overture
Beethoven, Symphony No. 4

MishaK

Going to hear Haitink conduct Mahler 2 with the CSO tonight.  :)

Lilas Pastia

Please report when you're back to your computer !!

MishaK

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on November 22, 2008, 06:58:50 PM
Please report when you're back to your computer !!

Went twice! Saturday and yesterday. Fantastic! Full report coming soon.

Lilas Pastia

:o  Hey, hey, hey!  Can yet another great Resurrection recording be in the offing?

springrite

Not sure if I'd say I am looking forward to the concert, but I am going to one tomorrow. Got a call at midnight from a long lost friend who met another long lost friend whom I met a few weeks ago at a concert (cellist, formerly first cello at San Diego Symphony and currently first cellist at Chinese National Philharmonic). She's a violinist and has organized a concert with the famous (or infamous) Ahn Trio from Korea. The concert is tomorrow night. They will be playing, among other things, Piazolla (I picked the only somewhat classical one). The sisters (and that include the Ahn sisters and the other girls from the concert) will have a huge party afterwards.

You might say I am looking forward to the gathering more than the concert itself.

MishaK

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on November 26, 2008, 05:30:34 PM
:o  Hey, hey, hey!  Can yet another great Resurrection recording be in the offing?

A little birdie tells me that indeed last week's CSO/Haitink Resurrection concerts will make it onto a future CSO Resound release.  ;)

Lilas Pastia

That's what I figured. The big orchestras release on their own labels more and more. Do you think it will fit on one disc? Considering Haitink's ever broadening tempos I would be surprised  :-\. His beautiful mid sixties COA version on Philips was rather fast, but he added quite a few minutes for the Berlin remake.

MishaK

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on November 27, 2008, 05:31:02 PM
That's what I figured. The big orchestras release on their own labels more and more. Do you think it will fit on one disc? Considering Haitink's ever broadening tempos I would be surprised  :-\. His beautiful mid sixties COA version on Philips was rather fast, but he added quite a few minutes for the Berlin remake.

This one was definitely on the brisk side. Full of life-affirming energy. Quite different from the more measured tempos he took in the Mahler 3 & 6 he's released with the CSO recently. My concert review is up on my blog. Click on the little globe below my avatar.