What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donaldopato

Kansas City Symphony Saturday Jan 24th
Michael Stern conducting:

Nielsen Helios Overture
Mendelssohn Piano Cto # 2
Mahler Symphony # 1

February 4th
Danielle de Niese American Recital Debut
Handel, Grieg, Wolf, Poulenc, Barber, Bizet.
Until I get my coffee in the morning I'm a fit companion only for a sore-toothed tiger." ~Joan Crawford

Brian

Quote from: donaldopato on January 22, 2009, 03:39:07 PM
Kansas City Symphony Saturday Jan 24th
Michael Stern conducting:

Nielson Helios Overture
Mendelssohn Piano Cto # 2
Mahler Symphony # 1
Wish I could see that one!

ChamberNut

ChamberNut

Quote from: Brian on January 22, 2009, 12:07:31 PM
legendary Rice University faculty member - Jon Kimura Parker[/b

Brian,

I was fortunate to hear him play live in November (Tchaik's Piano Concerto No. 1), with guest orchestra National Arts Centre of Ottawa with Pinchas Zukermann conducting.  JKP also did an encore, playing a Rachmaninov Prelude. :)

karlhenning

jlaurson

lot's of performances at the MozartWoche in Salzburg, next week.

Short term: Rosamunde String Quartet tonight.

Opus106

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 23, 2009, 05:29:13 AM
This definitely sounds interesting Nav!  Do you know if they'll be playing complete pieces?

Yes, complete pieces were played, and I loved every minute of it! It was made even more interesting with information she provided about the piece, the composer and about the circumstances under which the two came together.

The programme consisted of the following pieces...

Bach - Toccata in C minor (which contains a fugue, followed by a double fugue - w00t!)

Beethoven - Op. 101. Again, a fugal finale.

Brahms - Intermezzi, Op. 116 - lovely stuff!

Schumann, R. - Intermezzo, in Eb minor
Brahms - Intermezzo Op. 118, No. 6, again in Eb minor

And as an encore, she played something unrelated to the ones heard previously, to lighten things up. A dance by Alberto Ginastera which received quite a bit of applause.
Regards,
Navneeth

Drasko

In few hours, Sarah Chang playing Brahms Violin Concerto with Belgrade Philharmonic, rest of the evening is some Weber overture and Schumann's Rhenish, under some Israeli conductor, name escapes me at the moment.

Drasko

Quote from: Drasko on January 23, 2009, 07:19:43 AM
In few hours, Sarah Chang playing Brahms Violin Concerto with Belgrade Philharmonic, rest of the evening is some Weber overture and Schumann's Rhenish, under some Israeli conductor, name escapes me at the moment.

Can't make it :P

MISHUGINA

Ingo Metzmacher will be coming to my country with his Deutsche Radio-Symphonie Orchester Berlin band in at March 17-18 this year. Pretty explosive programme:

Monday 17th March

WAGNER: Prelude to Lohengrin
MAHLER: Kindertotenlieder (featuring Matthias Gorne, baritone)
BRUCKNER: Symphony no. 7

Tuesday 18th March

BERG: Violin Concerto (featuring Christian Tetzlaff, violin)
STRAVINSKY: Firebird Suite

Herman

bhodges

Quote from: MISHUGINA on January 23, 2009, 06:08:06 PM
Ingo Metzmacher will be coming to my country with his Deutsche Radio-Symphonie Orchester Berlin band in at March 17-18 this year. Pretty explosive programme:

Monday 17th March

WAGNER: Prelude to Lohengrin
MAHLER: Kindertotenlieder (featuring Matthias Gorne, baritone)
BRUCKNER: Symphony no. 7

Tuesday 18th March

BERG: Violin Concerto (featuring Christian Tetzlaff, violin)
STRAVINSKY: Firebird Suite

Great programs.  I've heard Goerne in the Mahler (fantastic) and Tetzlaff does the Berg as well as anyone I've ever heard.  You are in for a treat--or rather, two treats. 

--Bruce

Renfield

Quote from: bhodges on January 24, 2009, 10:04:59 AM
Great programs.  I've heard Goerne in the Mahler (fantastic) and Tetzlaff does the Berg as well as anyone I've ever heard.  You are in for a treat--or rather, two treats. 

--Bruce

Bruce, I just realised that's a Gerhard Richter painting in your avatar. Completely off-topic, of course, but what a fascinating artist he is!

I had the joy of attending an exhibition of a very great part of his work here in Edinburgh, sponsored by the now-defunct (or rather Lloydsified) Bank of Scotland, and am still partly in disbelief at his eye for shape, and astounding colour-sensitivity - surely at Renoir's level!

(Not to mention his artistic intelligence; but that's probably impossible for an artist not to have, with both the above taken into account.)

Brian: ;D

bhodges

Quote from: Renfield on January 24, 2009, 10:15:46 AM
Bruce, I just realised that's a Gerhard Richter painting in your avatar. Completely off-topic, of course, but what a fascinating artist he is!

I had the joy of attending an exhibition of a very great part of his work here in Edinburgh, sponsored by the now-defunct (or rather Lloydsified) Bank of Scotland, and am still partly in disbelief at his eye for shape, and astounding colour-sensitivity - surely at Renoir's level!

(Not to mention his artistic intelligence; but that's probably impossible for an artist not to have, with both the above taken into account.)

Brian: ;D

Oh cool, glad you like it!  (This particular painting reduces pretty well to postage-stamp size.  ;D)  I think he's extraordinary.  Since I don't want to derail this thread too much, maybe we need a "visual arts" thread in the Diner...?  (There may be something like that already, I'm not sure.)

Anyway, yes, he's one of the most talented painters alive, I think.  The variety in his work is completely amazing: he can do photo-realism, then switch at a moment's notice to gorgeous abstraction.  One of my favorite works is at the Dia:Beacon museum north of New York City, and called Six Gray Mirrors.  Six giant reflective rectangles are installed in a room of their own, and when I first saw the piece I must have lingered in that room for about an hour, marveling at the effects he was able to create.

--Bruce

bhodges

Tonight, this concert, a 90th birthday tribute to Leon Kirchner, and all of these pieces are new to me.  I've only heard a recent orchestral commission, The Forbidden (2008), which I enjoyed immensely.

Miller Theatre

Paula Robison, flute 
Ayano Kataoka, percussion  
Corey Cerovsek, violin 
Daniel Phillips, violin 
Timothy Eddy, cello 
Jeremy Denk, piano 
Claremont Trio 
Brad Lubman, conductor 

Duo No. 2 (2001)
Flutings for Paula (1973)
Trio No. 1 (1954)
Sonata Concertante (1952)
Concerto for Violin, Violoncello, 10 Winds, and Percussion (1960)

--Bruce

Novi

This Thursday:

The Scottish Chamber Orchestra

Mendelssohn   Elijah (131')

Yannick Nézet-Séguin    Conductor
Lucy Crowe    Soprano
Karen Cargill    Mezzo soprano
Andrew Staples    Tenor
Jonathan Lemalu    Bass baritone
Anne Lewis    Mezzo Soprano II
Libby Crabtree    Soprano II
SCO    Chorus

I've never heard this before and Mendelssohn is a big blank for me so hope I'll like it. Besides, something big and choral is usually a bit of fun for a first listen :D.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

MDL

Back in July, my other half bought me a... well, I'm not quite sure what the word is... seat/membership of the Commissioning Circle of the London Sinfonietta.
I'm going to be attending rehearsals for, and the interval celebration of, Woolrich's new work. I'm rather excited.

Elliott Carter: ASKO Concerto
John Woolrich: Between the hammer and the anvil (World premiere)
Interval
Elliott Carter: Reflexions for ensemble
Elliott Carter: Au Quai for bassoon & viola
Elliott Carter: Dialogues

London Sinfonietta
Oliver Knussenconductor
Nicolas Hodges piano

The London Sinfonietta and Oliver Knussen present a major world premiere, supported with funding from the London Sinfonietta Commissioning Friends. John Woolrich's Between the Hammer and the Anvil promises to be as pumped full of pulsating energy as its title suggests.
book tickets

Dundonnell

Friday-The Hague, The Netherlands:

Residentie Orchestra conducted by Neeme Jarvi in a programme of Sibelius plus Carl Nielsen's Clarinet Concerto played by Martin Frost.

To be followed on Saturday by meeting fellow BM members Jezetha and Christo for the first time :) :) :)

Lilas Pastia

Lucky you!  ;)

Edit :Lucky ALL of you !  :D