What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: Häuschen on March 15, 2009, 09:23:58 AM
The Mahler/Schoenberg with Uchida and Salonen sounds excellent!  I missed the Vienna Philharmonic w/ Mehta two weeks ago in LA because of my work schedule.

I'm attending the last performance of Das Rheingold at Dorothy Chandler Pavilion today.

Yes... Mahler/Schoenberg was MUCH better than Schoenberg/Zemlinsky. Uchida is marvelous in the Schoenberg Cto. and the Philharmonia was efficient... and the Mahler had moments of absolute excellence. Terrific 3rd and 4th movement. And loud. The Philharmonia, if nothing else, "goes to 11".

bhodges

Quote from: jlaurson on March 15, 2009, 08:56:01 AM
Bruce: How did you like the Shchedrin?

I liked it very much (title: Beethoven's Heiligenstädter Testament), and like the Widmann, would like to hear it again.  The Shchedrin is about 12 minutes long, and has huge, grinding chords--Beethoven-esque but with extra brass--contrasting with light, fast runs in the strings and a few Mahlerian climaxes.  It seemed as sober as the Widmann was playful.  (Both used Beethoven as inspiration.)

--Bruce

ChamberNut

Saturday night's concert, what a treasure it was, for both my wife and I!

Romeo et Juliet - Prokofiev

Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra
Royal Winnipeg Ballet

bhodges

Quote from: KammerNuss on March 16, 2009, 07:16:39 AM

Royal Winnipeg Ballet

That sounds great.  Years ago I saw the Royal Winnipeg Ballet's staging of The Nutcracker--very stylish and effective.  They are a really terrific company.   

--Bruce

ChamberNut

Upcoming concert this Saturday!   :)

Ravel - Mother Goose Suite
Saint-Saens - Piano Concerto No. 2 in G minor *
Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition (orch. Ravel)

*Inon Barnatan - piano

Alexander Mickelthwate - conducting

ChamberNut

Quote from: bhodges on March 16, 2009, 07:19:26 AM
That sounds great.  Years ago I saw the Royal Winnipeg Ballet's staging of The Nutcracker--very stylish and effective.  They are a really terrific company.   

--Bruce

I saw the RWB's staging of The Nutcracker last year as well.  Amazing!   

Did you see them in 'The Big Apple', Bruce?  I know the RWB tours quite a bit?  :)

bhodges

Quote from: KammerNuss on March 16, 2009, 07:22:13 AM
I saw the RWB's staging of The Nutcracker last year as well.  Amazing!   

Did you see them in 'The Big Apple', Bruce?  I know the RWB tours quite a bit?  :)

Actually I saw them in Winnipeg!  My dad lived there for 4-5 years back in the 1980s, and I visited there a good bit (including several times in the winter, when the temperature was something like -20F).  I always enjoyed the city; my sister and I have talked about making a long weekend trip back sometime. 

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: KammerNuss on March 16, 2009, 07:16:39 AM

Royal Winnipeg Ballet

Ever since I first fell under that piece's spell (in Buffalo in the early '90s), it's been on my short list of desert-island Prokofiev.

ChamberNut

Quote from: bhodges on March 16, 2009, 07:25:14 AM
Actually I saw them in Winnipeg!  My dad lived there for 4-5 years back in the 1980s, and I visited there a good bit (including several times in the winter, when the temperature was something like -20F).  I always enjoyed the city; my sister and I have talked about making a long weekend trip back sometime. 
--Bruce

The summers are a little more...errr....comfortable.  ;D  Actually, our summers are great!  Well Bruce, if you ever decide to pay a visit, I would love to get together for coffee, and perhaps a concert (always a chamber, piano recital or orchestral concert playing  :))

bhodges

Quote from: KammerNuss on March 16, 2009, 07:35:12 AM
The summers are a little more...errr....comfortable.  ;D  Actually, our summers are great!  Well Bruce, if you ever decide to pay a visit, I would love to get together for coffee, and perhaps a concert (always a chamber, piano recital or orchestral concert playing  :))

You can be sure I'll give you a ring if/when we get up there, and of course "yes" to concerts!  :D  I have a friend (Pat Spencer, flutist who does a lot of contemporary music) who used to direct a new chamber music series every summer in the Winnipeg Art Gallery.  (Not sure if it's still going on.)

And the summers...the summers...with the super-long daylight hours...fantastic!  I remember being amazed that it was still light at 11:00 p.m.

--Bruce

Eddie Williamson

Saw Martha Argerich on Friday!!  Ravel Concerto in G.  Yannick Nezet-Seguin conducted.  La Valse and Shostakovich 5 also on the bill.  Watch out Dudamel!!

Also, saw Das Rheingold at Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.  Killer, I don't care what the reviews at latimes.com say. 

MISHUGINA

Review of my two nights with Deutsches Radio Symphonie Orchester Berlin conducted by Ingo Metzmacher. Christian Tetzlaff's Berg still haunts my mind!

http://mishuginaguide.blogspot.com/2009/03/deutsches-radio-symphonie-orchestra.html

jlaurson

Quote from: KammerNuss on March 16, 2009, 07:35:12 AM

Oh, Winnipeg, oh memories. I enjoyed it mostly for "not being Fargo", from which our college-day excursions went. I spent one very rainy day in the Zoo, just me, my college girlfriend, and the free-roaming peacock.

OzRadio

Late reporting, but the missus and I enjoyed the Academy of Ancient Music's rendition of all the Brandenburg Concertos in Kansas City last Friday.

Herman

Alexandre Tharaud, Couperin and Chopin's Preludes at the Concertgebouw tonight.

karlhenning

Quote from: jlaurson on March 18, 2009, 12:39:50 AM
I enjoyed it mostly for "not being Fargo"

Well, just think of all the places you can enjoy, using that as a benchmark!

Perth Amboy, New Jersey, here Jens comes!  8)

jlaurson

Off to see/hear Otello now.

Conductor Bertrand de Billy
Production Francesca Zambello
Revival director Nico Trees
Set and Costumes Alison Chitty
Choreography Alphonse Poulin
Lighting Mimi Jordan Sherin
Chorus Andrés Máspero

Otello Johan Botha
Jago Lucio Gallo
Cassio Wookyung Kim
Rodrigo Francesco Petrozzi
Lodovico Christian Van Horn
Montano Christoph Stephinger
Ein Herold Igor Bakan
Desdemona Adrianne Pieczonka
Emilia Enkelejda Shkosa

Solitary Wanderer

This next Friday  :)

Cho-Liang Lin & the NZSO

BODY Melodies for orchestra
BARBER Violin Concerto
WAGNER arr de VLIEGER Tristan and Isolde: An Orchestral Passion

PIETARI INKINEN Music Director
CHO LIANG LIN Violin

The incomparable Cho-Liang Lin brings one of Barber's most romantic works warmly to life. Written three years after his famous Adagio for Strings, it amply demonstrates Barber's lyrical gifts. Wagner's masterpiece Tristan and Isolde appears in a fascinating new guise in de Vlieger's arrangement.  In seven linked excerpts, the Dutch composer has stripped away the opera's inessentials to focus on the doomed lovers' hearts and minds, with the great second act duet as its core.

Especially looking forward to the Wagner arrangement which I don't imagine you'd see very often.

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Herman on March 20, 2009, 08:07:38 AM
Alexandre Tharaud, Couperin and Chopin's Preludes at the Concertgebouw tonight.

I'm jealous !!  ;)