What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahler10th

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 18, 2010, 05:52:51 AM
Seconded.
John, two questions: Did Petrenko use a single bass or the entire section at the beginning of the funeral march? Did he reinforce the two final notes of the symphony (the cuckoo theme) à la Bernstein or play it straight? And a third question: Have you made a decision yet about the Rott concert in Frankfurt?
Sarge

Thank you for the interest guys.
He used single Bass at the beginning of the funeral march, a real wonder from the RLPO First Bass player.  Vasily certainly did reinforce the last two notes à la Bernstein.  I almost grew hoarse at the end shouting my approval.
10 out of 10.
I was so excited I nearly swore. :-[

I have not yet made my mind up about Frankfurt Sarge, but I will post excitedly here in the next two or three weeks whatever way it goes (depends on an expected cashflow increase, lol!).

Are you a quiet and polite clapper, or a real shouter when the show is good?  I'm a shouter!
  :P  I attempted to break all manner of media laws by recording the Rott Scherzo on my mobile phone - unfortunately it sounded more like Lutoslawski in a bad mood on playback - but my hollering is plenty legible.  I might post it, lol.   :o

karlhenning

Why, only this past Saturday I hooted in Symphony Hall . . . .

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 18, 2010, 05:52:51 AM
Seconded.

John, two questions: Did Petrenko use a single bass or the entire section at the beginning of the funeral march? Did he reinforce the two final notes of the symphony (the cuckoo theme) à la Bernstein or play it straight? And a third question: Have you made a decision yet about the Rott concert in Frankfurt?

Sarge

When is the Rott concert in Frankfurt, Sarge? Anyone thinking of going?

mahler10th

Here are the dates for Frankfurt and the other in the Netherlands.  They were posted further up, but here they are again jlaurson

listener

Why go to a live concert:
Respighi: Ancient Airs and Dances Suite 3 -  for string orchestra .    I don't remember ever having heard this "live" although it a radio favourite and there are several recordings.
Respighi: The Pines of Rome, complete with organ, piano, celeste, campanelli, harp, 6 extra brass in the balcony, and bird-scare (raganella).  Raganella played by the timpanist who was otherwise tacet in the first movement, the (pipe) organ was the house Wurlitzer played with the console below the stage and cued by video.   The orchestra recorded this with Akiyama 30 years ago and there are still nine players from that period.
First half:: Dvořák: Carnival Overture (which they seem to play at least once a year, but rarely at this speed) and Violin Concerto with Jennifer Koh filling in for ailing Arabella Steinbacher.   Maybe she didn't sound "Czech", but she did make the piece a lot more interesting than the Bruch concerto.   
Vancouver Symphony, Kazuyoshi Akiyama    Maybe not deep, but very satisfying
If the program seems to be "slumming", perhaps Akiyama's May 2 one will be more to one's taste:  Szymanowski Violin Concerto 1 and Bruckner 4
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on January 18, 2010, 02:29:13 PM
When is the Rott concert in Frankfurt, Sarge? Anyone thinking of going?

April 14, 15 and 16. Yes, I plan to attend--if my health permits. It's not often we get a chance to hear Rott live.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: listener on January 19, 2010, 12:22:28 AM
Dvořák: Carnival Overture (which they seem to play at least once a year...

That's one of my pet peeves concerning programming. It's as though Dvorak only wrote one overture. Carnival is the only one that gets programmed with any regularity. Maddening.

Sarge

Spotswood

Looking forward to this one, if I can make it. Ari seemed to like the article. He said he can never remember what he says in interviews, so it's always a surprise to read it.

bhodges

Quote from: Joe Barron on January 20, 2010, 12:14:47 PM
Looking forward to this one, if I can make it. Ari seemed to like the article. He said he can never remember what he says in interviews, so it's always a surprise to read it.

Excellent article, Joe!  And I hope you get to hear them; they're terrific.  I'm hoping to hear them in a few months when they do the four Xenakis quartets again, but the Kimmel program is more unusual. 

--Bruce

Spotswood

Quote from: bhodges on January 20, 2010, 12:25:13 PM
Excellent article, Joe!  And I hope you get to hear them; they're terrific.  I'm hoping to hear them in a few months when they do the four Xenakis quartets again, but the Kimmel program is more unusual. 

--Bruce

The temptation to make "you don't know JACK" jokes was strong and had to be resisted.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: John on January 18, 2010, 12:57:30 PM
Are you a quiet and polite clapper, or a real shouter when the show is good?  I'm a shouter!
  :P  I attempted to break all manner of media laws by recording the Rott Scherzo on my mobile phone - unfortunately it sounded more like Lutoslawski in a bad mood on playback - but my hollering is plenty legible.  I might post it, lol.   :o

There were a few embarrassing moments in my youth  ;D  My enthusiasm got the better of me after a particularly fine Dvorak Seventh at Blossom Music Center (the Cleveland Orchestra's summer venue).  When WCLV broadcast the concert a few weeks later, my voice could be heard clearly (I have that on tape).

When I was a student, I recall giving that same orchestra a very vocal--and solitary--standing ovation after they encored with the Ride of the Valkyries at Ohio University in 1968. Fortunately that was not recorded for posterity   :D

Nowadays I try to contain my enthusiasm but only because a health condition obliges me to stay emotionally and physically cool  8)

Sarge

bhodges

Speaking of the Schubert 8th (on another thread), I'm hearing it on Sunday, along with another, equally unfamiliar symphony.  ;D  Seriously, I think it's good to hear the Beethoven now and then, and I'm bringing a friend who has never heard it live.  (She's mostly coming for the Strauss.)

The MET Orchestra
James Levine, Music Director and Conductor
Diana Damrau, Soprano

Schubert: Symphony No. 8, "Unfinished"
R. Strauss:
"Das Bächlein," Op. 88, No. 1
"Ich wollt' ein Sträusslein binden," Op. 68, No. 2
"Allerseelen," Op. 10, No. 8
"Zueignung," Op. 10, No. 1
"Morgen," Op. 27, No. 4
"Ständchen," Op. 17, No. 2
"Wiegenlied," Op. 41, No. 1
"Amor," Op. 68, No. 5
"Grossmächtige Prinzessin" from Ariadne auf Naxos
Beethoven: Symphony No. 5

--Bruce

Brian

Quote from: bhodges on January 21, 2010, 12:46:03 PMand I'm bringing a friend who has never heard it live

Now she is in for a treat. I've got Beethoven's Fifth memorized, but the first time I heard it live, just a couple years ago, the experience was so overwhelming and so wonderful that I forgot what was going to happen next!

owlice

I'm definitely going to this:

Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
Günther Herbig, conductor
Garrick Ohlsson, piano

BeethovenCoriolan Overture
BeethovenPiano Concerto No. 3
Schumann  -  Symphony No. 4

The Schumann is replacing works by Dvorak and Janacek; am a little annoyed about that, but am still looking forward to the concert, of course! I've not heard Garrick Ohlsson live (or at least, not in .... a long time), and he is reason enough to attend.

I may also go hear this:

National Symphony Orchestra
Iván Fischer, conductor
Stig Andersen, tenor
Christianne Stotijn, mezzo

Mozart - Symphony No. 38 in D major, K. 504, "Prague"
Mahler - Das Lied von der Erde

The Mahler is the draw here, of course; I could easily do without the Mozart.

karlhenning

Quote from: owlice on January 22, 2010, 08:00:21 AM
I'm definitely going to this:

Garrick Ohlsson, piano

The Schumann is replacing works by Dvorak and Janacek; am a little annoyed about that, but am still looking forward to the concert, of course!

Yes, it would have been a much more colorful program without that substitution IMO.

Quote from: owlice on January 22, 2010, 08:00:21 AMI may also go hear this:

National Symphony Orchestra
Iván Fischer, conductor
Stig Andersen, tenor
Christianne Stotijn, mezzo

Mozart - Symphony No. 38 in D major, K. 504, "Prague"
Mahler - Das Lied von der Erde

The Mahler is the draw here, of course; I could easily do without the Mozart.

Oh!  Have you suffered K.504 overload, owlice?  That's one that always falls fresh to mine earn . . . .

owlice

I'm suffering from general Mozart overload, Karl! The classical radio station LOVES playing Mozart, and this weekend, is playing Mozart every hour (though not necessarily on the hour). I can understand their focus on Mozart this weekend, but the other 51 weeks of the year could stand to have much less Mozart, and more of all the other things that don't get nearly the same exposure!

karlhenning

Quote from: owlice on January 22, 2010, 10:01:45 AM
I'm suffering from general Mozart overload, Karl! The classical radio station LOVES playing Mozart, and this weekend, is playing Mozart every hour . . . .

Yuck, and I quite understand.  W. C. R. B.

MishaK

Tomorrow:

Musicians from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Pierre Boulez, conductor
Cliff Colnot, conductor
Pierre-Laurent Aimard, piano
Tamara Stefanovich, piano
Nathan Cole, violin
John Sharp, cello
Arshia Cont, IRCAM computer production
Jérémie Henrot, IRCAM sound engineer

Boulez -   Notations
Borowski -   Wandlung (CSO Commission)
Boulez -   Structures, deuxième livre for two pianos
Boulez -   Messagesquisse for Seven Cellos
Fujikura -   Mirrors (CSO Commission)
Boulez -   Anthèmes II

8)

karlhenning

Quote from: Mensch on January 23, 2010, 07:05:43 PM
Boulez -   Messagesquisse for Seven Cellos
. . .
Boulez -   Anthèmes II

I've got a recording of these now, and I should give a listen . . . .

owlice

I did not go to the Mahler; I did go to this:
Garrick Ohlsson, piano

And oh, I'm a dolt! I had in my pea brain substituted the Schubert Fourth for the Schumann, which is okay, but... not something I was really hot to hear. (I think of it as the non-tragic Tragic.) That's what I get for having a CD with both Fourths on it!

So I was pleasantly surprised by the second half of the concert (even as I was smacking myself in the head for my stu... er... confusion)!

Great concert, fabulous playing from all forces, and Ohlsson was amazing.  My friend and I both enjoyed the afternoon -- lunch beforehand at a crepe place -- very much.