What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDL

Thursday July 5 at the Proms:

Mahler Symphony No. 4 in G major (56 mins)
interval
Mahler Symphony No. 5 in C sharp minor (70 mins)
Camilla Tilling soprano
World Orchestra for Peace
Valery Gergiev conductor

I've only heard Gergiev conduct Mahler once (Mahler 6 broadcast on TV very late in 2008), but due to personal traumas, I wasn't able to focus on the concert.

So what can I expect from Gergiev's Mahler? And what about the World Orchestra for Peace?

jlaurson

Quote from: MDL on July 31, 2010, 10:24:09 AM

So what can I expect from Gergiev's Mahler? And what about the World Orchestra for Peace?

Oh God... expect very little. Not even Giulini could get that body to sound decent... and without rehearsals...

MDL

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on July 31, 2010, 11:32:31 AM
I was at that Mahler 6 (assuming you mean the BBC4 broadcast) and thought it rather scrappy, seeming under-rehearsed (or possibly, rehearsed by someone else.)  I was close enough to see Gergiev lose his place in the score during the Finale - much riffling of pages back & forth - and together with all the palsied finger-twiddling and profuse sweating, the impression given was not of someone at the top of their game.  However everyone is entitled to an off-day, and I have booked for him conducting the LSO in Mahler 1 and Shchedrin PC4 in November, which I'm hoping will turn out rather better.

I think it was the BBC4 broadcast.

MDL

Quote from: jlaurson on July 31, 2010, 01:08:27 PM
Oh God... expect very little. Not even Giulini could get that body to sound decent... and without rehearsals...

Oh, crap. Well, thankfully, for the first time in about 15 years, I've bought a cheap ticket in the gods rather than a posh one in the stalls, so if it's a bit shite, I haven't spent too much. Thanks for the warning. Maybe they'll come together in a fit of inspiration on the evening.

knight66

I will be at the Proms Tuesday and Wednesday; both Runnicles concerts. Tuesday is English music, main piece Elgar Symphony no 1 and Wednesday is Mahler 3.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Sid

I'm looking forward to a concert on the weekend here in Sydney, which will be a tribute to Ken Tribe, who died a few weeks ago (he was 96). This guy was one of the main behind the scenes people who brought things like Musica Viva to Australia (& secured government funding, etc. to many groups) in the early days following World War Two. He was a lawyer by profession but was really passionate about classical music. The concert will feature some of his friends, like the Goldner String Quartet. I am looking forward to perhaps learning more about his life, and hearing some of his favourite music. He didn't want a funeral, but a free concert like this, to celebrate & showcase the kind of talents that he spent most of his life supporting.

http://www.musicaviva.com.au/concertseason/kentribe

knight66

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

bhodges

Next week, this concert, part of the Mostly Mozart Festival.  Very much looking forward to hearing both groups.  I've never heard the Xenakis live, and the Ligeti is one of my all-time favorite works.

Ensemble Basiani North American debut
Ars Nova Copenhagen Mostly Mozart debut
Paul Hillier, director Mostly Mozart debut
Paolo Bordignon, organ
Introduction by Pierre-Laurent Aimard

Bach: Jesu, meine Freude
Trad.: Georgian polyphony
Ligeti: Lux aeterna
Xenakis: Nuits

--Bruce

Lisz

I've been looking forward to this for months, and I'm glad to say that I was not disappointed.

Three standing ovations for Gil Shaham last night after his performance of Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 5 (the "Turkish") at the Mostly Mozart Festival at Lincoln Center (NYC). Having followed his career for years, the maturity he now brings to his music is marvelous to experience. Sweet, sweet sound from that glorious Strad of his, and his interpretation of my favorite third movement was sublime.

The evening was rounded out with Stravinsky's enjoyable Dumbarton Oaks Concerto, which opened the evening.  Beethoven's Second Symphony (with its beautiful second movement) as the closing piece unfortunately felt  anticlimactic after the Mozart. But it was wonderful to experience Pablo Heras-Casado's (a new conductor to me) readings of these pieces. The 32-year-old conductor from Spain got a very enthusiastic response....overall a wonderful NY summer evening.

Papageno

Bach's Brandenburg Concertos with Gardiner of the 14th of August, for now...

Marc

Weather (and maybe other things :P) depending, I will travel to a village called Peize tomorrow afternoon, to hear Elly Kooiman play at this baroque organ in the local church. The instrument was built by a.o. Arp Schnitger (1691) and Albertus Anthoni Hinsz (1757):

If not, I will be organizing my own cd concert at home.
In most cases, I like the programmes and playlists.

;D

prémont

Quote from: Marc on August 07, 2010, 10:53:58 AM
Weather (and maybe other things :P) depending, I will travel to a village called Peize tomorrow afternoon, to hear Elly Kooiman play at this baroque organ in the local church.

It seems as if she is going to play a Bach-only program this evening. Not bad.
Do you know if she is related to Ewald K.?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: premont on August 07, 2010, 11:17:37 AM
It seems as if she is going to play a Bach-only program this evening. Not bad.
Do you know if she is related to Ewald K.?
And you know what? I kinda like Bach. ;D

I don't know if she's related to the late Ewald Kooiman. But I guess not, since one rarely finds them mentioned together.