What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Tonight :

Pavel Haas Quartet
(Veronika Jarůšková, Eva Karová violin - Pavel Nikl viola - Peter Jarůšek cello)

Britten Three Divertimenti
Dvořák String Quartet Op.96 'American'
Beethoven String Quartet Op.59 No.1 'Rasumovsky'

Snape Maltings Concert Hall

My first chamber music concert....  0:)

Olivier

Sid

Quote from: papy on August 22, 2010, 03:22:02 AM

Enjoy & I hope it leads you to go to & savour many many more!...

bhodges

Quote from: Sid on August 21, 2010, 10:59:52 PM
Just came back from a concert here at Sydney University's Great Hall:

The University of Sydney Graduate Choir & Wind Ensemble
Christopher Bowen OAM, conductor/musical director

G. Gabrieli - Canzona, Sinfonia, Sonata for brass; Motets for choir, organ & brass
A. Bruckner - Ecce sacerdos magnus (motet); Mass in E minor

I enjoyed this concert, it was a good pairing of two composers, the earlier one influencing the later one. It was the first time ever that I had heard any works by Gabrieli, and I found them interesting. I have known the Bruckner mass for years. The concluding Agnus Dei is the most ambigious and soul-searching conclusion to any mass that I have heard. It was also the first time I have heard this ensemble, and they were pretty good imo...

That looks like a fabulous concert.  I'm hearing the same Bruckner Mass this fall, with Philippe Herreweghe conducting three combined choirs.  Very much looking forward, since I've never heard the piece live. 

Quote from: papy on August 22, 2010, 03:22:02 AM
Tonight :

Pavel Haas Quartet
(Veronika Jarůšková, Eva Karová violin - Pavel Nikl viola - Peter Jarůšek cello)

Beethoven String Quartet Op.59 No.1 'Rasumovsky'

Snape Maltings Concert Hall

Wow, what a great introduction!  That's an excellent line-up.  Do report back, and yes, hope you like it enough to explore more. 

--Bruce

jlaurson

Veronika Jarůšková is quite a dish, ain't she, Papy. :-) (Not that I judge performances like Sarge... ;))

Notes from the Salzburg Festival ( 10 )

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2010/08/notes-from-salzburg-festival-10.html

Arcadi Volodos Recital

Looking forward to more Salzburg performances: Vienna Phil, Haitink, Bruckner. Concertgebouw, Jansons, Something. Berlin Phil, Rattle, Something else... (I'm in the bad habit of never quite bothering to check what is being played.) Skipping the Hagen Quartet to hear more of the ARD Intl. Music Competition before heading out to Dubrovnik to the Festival of Julian Rachlin.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Sid on August 22, 2010, 11:00:41 PM
Enjoy & I hope it leads you to go to & savour many many more!...

Quote from: bhodges on August 23, 2010, 08:50:05 AM
Wow, what a great introduction!  That's an excellent line-up.  Do report back, and yes, hope you like it enough to explore more. 
--Bruce

That was a great concert. I had never been in the Snape concert hall itself before so i was not sure what it would be like sound-wise and view-wise. The hall was smaller than expected so even from the back of the top tier where I was, that was enjoyable to the full.

Hearing chamber music live was quite a revelation really : the quality level of the playing, the details in the works, the response between instruments, the power and force of even such a small ensemble.

All three works were practically maiden to me - I only had the Rasumovsky in my collection following a recommendation by Sonic Dave a little while back but never really clicked on it to date. Chamber music was very much one of those stumbling blocks to me (like solo piano about a year ago...yeah I know  ;D ) , a bit stuffy and all sounding the same  0:)

-----
Beethoven String Quartet Op.59 No.1 'Razumovsky'
-----

The 3 divertimenti were quirky, a bit odd at times, but the last one had an ending that could only make you smile  ;D

The "American" SQ (especially the 2nd mvt) was pure bliss and made the mind dreaming away. Favorite piece of the night and on the to-buy list immediately.

The Razumovsky was very impressive too but suffered in comparison to the impression the "American" had on me. Listening to the Op.59 again now though and I like a lot too.

I'll definitely keep exploring ....as soon as this Wednesday actually as I am heading to Snape again for that concert :

Isabelle Faust violin
Jean-Guihen Queyras cello
Alexander Melnikov piano

Haydn Piano Trio in E flat Hob.XV:29
Beethoven Piano Trio in B flat Op.97 'Archduke'
Dvořák Piano Trio in E minor Op.90 'Dumky'

Three more maiden works again  ;D  but this time at least, I know one performer : Queyras - from whom I have the Dvorak Cello Concerto and the Arpeggione sonata (a favourite of mine). I look forward to hearing him play live.

Quote from: jlaurson on August 23, 2010, 11:00:24 AM
Veronika Jarůšková is quite a dish, ain't she, Papy. :-) (Not that I judge performances like Sarge... ;))

yes.

quite.

8)

She'd deserve Sarge's seal of approval for sure  ;D

Olivier

bhodges

Olivier, I've never been to Snape, but it is supposed to be a fantastic place for concerts.  Many fine recordings have been made there, too, such Jessye Norman's Richard Strauss recital--one of my favorite CDs. 

Glad it was a great experience, and that you're getting to return!

--Bruce

Sid

Looking forward to this one tonight, I haven't heard any of these composers (or this ensemble), except for Ligeti:

Continuum Sax, Match Percussion with guests Natsuko Yoshimoto and Roland Peelman

Last Blues
Eugene Goossens Hall, ABC Centre Ultimo

The world premiere of Brian Howard's Last Blues brings together an ensemble of Australia's most influential and talented exponents of new music. Continuum Sax are joined by Match percussion, conductor Roland Peelman and violinist Natsuko Yoshimoto presenting a rare opportunity to hear the work of one of Australia's most respected composers. Brian Howard's Last Blues, borrowing its title from Cesare Pavese's evocative poem, invokes memory and loss through a compelling and yet fragile dialogue between the violin and ensemble. This intriguing and innovative concert also features the exuberant Bagatelles by György Ligeti and new works by Margery Smith and Mary Finsterer.

Performers: Natsuko Yoshimoto - Violin, Daryl Pratt and Alison Eddington - Percussion, Margery Smith, James Nightingale, Martin Kay, Jarrod Whitbourn - Saxophones and Roland Peelman - Conductor

Sid

Quote from: Sid on August 23, 2010, 11:10:51 PM
Looking forward to this one tonight, I haven't heard any of these composers (or this ensemble), except for Ligeti:

Continuum Sax, Match Percussion with guests Natsuko Yoshimoto and Roland Peelman

Last Blues
Eugene Goossens Hall, ABC Centre Ultimo

Performers: Natsuko Yoshimoto - Violin, Daryl Pratt and Alison Eddington - Percussion, Margery Smith, James Nightingale, Martin Kay, Jarrod Whitbourn - Saxophones and Roland Peelman - Conductor

This was an excellent concert. The program was as follows:

Gyorgy Ligeti - 6 Bagatelles for saxophone quartet (arr. Fabio Oehrli)
Margery Smith - Lost Blues for saxophone quartet and percussion duo (World Premiere)
Mary Finsterer - IONIA for saxophone quartet and percussion (Premiere of new version)
Chun Ting Pang - In Different Spaces for percussion duo
Matthew Hindson - Song of Life for solo violin
Brian Howard - Last Blues for solo violin, saxophone quartet and percussion duo (World Premiere)

I really enjoyed seeing the two percussionists (who are a couple in real life) playing all of their various interesting instruments. All the pieces were interesting. The Ligeti was a great opener, very virtuosic and bright. The highlight of the evening was the premiere of Brian Howard's Last Blues, virtually a concerto for all of the musicians. It was based on Cesare Pavase's poem of that name & every player was a soloist in this piece. There were cadenzas for the saxes, the violin, and the two percussionists. It had much lyricism and poetry, but also some dissonance and darkness. Three of the composers were there on the night.

Sid

Another concert I went to during the week:

Frozen Improvisations - in memoriam of Niels Viggo Bentzon (1919-2000)

Georg Pedersen, cello
Tonya Lemoh, piano

Recital Hall West, Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Sonata for Solo Cello Op. 110 (1956) (Sydney premiere)
Traesnit for solo piano Op. 65
Sonata for Cello and Piano Op. 43 (1947) (Australian premiere)

I had never heard the music of this Danish composer before. My first impression was that there were elements of minimalism as well as a kind of romanticism in his music. The colours of the solo piano piece were pretty amazing, and there were many repeats (at least for the piano part) in the Sonata for Cello & Piano. Both of the musicians played excellently...

Brian

Quote from: papy on August 23, 2010, 12:06:28 PM
Isabelle Faust violin
Alexander Melnikov piano

OH MY GOD I wish I could attend that concert! Three superb young performers, geniuses all in fact, in my favorite piano trio (Dvořák) and my two favorite composers (Dvořák and Beethoven). Drooling.

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on August 24, 2010, 08:38:44 PM
OH MY GOD I wish I could attend that concert! Three superb young performers, geniuses all in fact, in my favorite piano trio (Dvořák) and my two favorite composers (Dvořák and Beethoven). Drooling.

All at least twice as old as you (maybe not Melnikov), so why exactly do you call them "young"? Yes, they have a pulse, I suppose. Which is novel for most record collectors...

Papy Oli

Quote from: papy on August 23, 2010, 12:06:28 PM
Isabelle Faust violin
Alexander Melnikov piano

Again, great to experience that level of playing at this concert - very impressed by the sound of Faust and Queyras - slick interaction, almost seemed effortless. Melnikov was impressive too, although the sound of the piano was not as clear as I thought it'd be.

Work-wise : I was a bit underwhelmed by the Haydn Trio (it sounded a bit muddly/overlapping between the instruments and too repetitive to my ears at the time). The "Archduke" also took some a bit of time to get me going, I would have to listen to the work again to be honest to form a firmer opinion, although I did enjoy the latter part of it.

Dvorak's Dumky is the one that won me over, great clarity between the instruments, its changes of pace, its softness...loved it. Had to buy the CD by these forces to get that work (listening to it now). I think Dvorak will be my first port of call when i explore chamber music further.

Off to his den  ;D
Olivier

Solitary Wanderer

Tomorrow evening the NZSO National Youth Orchestra

The 2010 NZSO National Youth Orchestra season will feature Bulgarian conductor Rossen Milanov. Deeply committed to musical training and a musical force in his own right, Rossen Milanov is Music Director of no less than three orchestras and holds the role of Associate Conductor with the famed Philadelphia Orchestra.

Rossen Milanov conductor
Jason Bae piano

Vaughan Williams Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
Stravinsky Concerto for Piano and Wind
Adams The Chairman Dances
Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances

We get free tickets each year being subscribers.
Missed last years performance so looking forward to this one. Excellent programme.
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Mirror Image

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on August 26, 2010, 02:14:58 PM
Tomorrow evening the NZSO National Youth Orchestra

The 2010 NZSO National Youth Orchestra season will feature Bulgarian conductor Rossen Milanov. Deeply committed to musical training and a musical force in his own right, Rossen Milanov is Music Director of no less than three orchestras and holds the role of Associate Conductor with the famed Philadelphia Orchestra.

Rossen Milanov conductor
Jason Bae piano

Vaughan Williams Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
Stravinsky Concerto for Piano and Wind
Adams The Chairman Dances
Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances

We get free tickets each year being subscribers.
Missed last years performance so looking forward to this one. Excellent programme.

That programme actually looks quite generic, but the RVW should be enjoyable.

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 26, 2010, 03:00:16 PM

That programme actually looks quite generic, but the RVW should be enjoyable.

In the context that the Youth Orchestra is made up of 12 - 18 year olds having a dream come true I think it's an excellent programme - good on them  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on August 28, 2010, 04:21:31 AM
Eschenbach. Barto. Schumann. Rihm. Vienna Phil: t takes a confluence of circumstances (including loss of the actual ticket) and a touch of talent for disorganization to casually check the Salzburg Festival website around two in the afternoon to see if my Vienna Philharmonic concert with Christoph Eschenbach and Tzimon Barto starts at seven or eight, only to find out it had started at eleven in the morning.

I hate when that happens.  :'(  At least you were able to salvage the situation. When I failed to notice the afternoon rather than evening start of a Boulez conducted Mahler Sixth in Berlin, all I got out of it were very expensive bookmarks (the only thing the tickets were good for at that point).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 28, 2010, 04:55:00 AM
I hate when that happens.  :'(  At least you were able to salvage the situation. When I failed to notice the afternoon rather than evening start of a Boulez conducted Mahler Sixth in Berlin, all I got out of it were very expensive bookmarks ...

ouch.ouch.ouch.ouch. that's difficult to overcome. except by hearing boulez in mahler again, of course. which you might like to do, on the 20th or 21st of January. (Amsterdam, RCO, M7!!)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on August 28, 2010, 05:25:06 AM
ouch.ouch.ouch.ouch. that's difficult to overcome. except by hearing boulez in mahler again, of course. which you might like to do, on the 20th or 21st of January. (Amsterdam, RCO, M7!!)

On my birthday! Now I know what to tell Mrs. Rock when she asks me what I want. She loves Amsterdam anyway and it's been a few years since we were last there.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

Quote from: jlaurson on August 24, 2010, 11:03:14 PM
All at least twice as old as you (maybe not Melnikov), so why exactly do you call them "young"? Yes, they have a pulse, I suppose. Which is novel for most record collectors...

Yeah, well, (1) people my age don't give concerts for money, usually, (2) "young" has a different meaning in classical music, (3) even if you call then "middle-aged" they are still indisputably major artists with three or four decades more to go, (4) in fact Isabelle Faust and Alexander Melnikov are not twice as old as me (38 and 37), and Queyras, 42, is exactly twice my age, not "at least."