What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MishaK

Quote from: Sef on November 04, 2010, 12:45:04 AM
Up at the top - not exactly flush these days with kids at college! Perhaps we can meet during the interval?

Sure. Send me a PM sometime closer to the concert date and we can discuss details. We're sitting in the Terrace behind the orchestra, but usually hang out in the ballroom during intermission.

I know what you mean. It seems prices have gone way up this season.

Benji

Quote from: Mensch on October 28, 2010, 05:37:21 PM
8:00 PM
Saturday December 4, 2010

Program:
Schoenberg  Transfigured Night 
Janáček  Glagolitic Mass

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Pierre Boulez
conductor
Christine Brewer
soprano
Nancy Maultsby
mezzo-soprano
Lance Ryan
tenor
Mikhail Petrenko
bass
Paul Jacobs
organ
Chicago Symphony Chorus
Duain Wolfe
director and conductor

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh and the week before that:

8:00 PM
Saturday November 27, 2010

Program:
Debussy  Symphonic Fragments from The Martyrdom of Saint Sebastian 
Ligeti  Violin Concerto
Ravel Mother Goose Suite
Debussy  La Mèr

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Pierre Boulez
conductor
Robert Chen
violin

I imagine the french music and Ligeti will be spectacular - I'm so jealous.

I'd also love to hear the Glagolitic Mass live. Not sure about Boulez with that though - he did it at the BBC Proms a few years back and he didn't look especially interested in the music, but perhaps that's just the way he always looks - i.e. dour haha. There is a Youtube video of the performance if you want a sneak peek of what you might be getting. I hope it's awesome for you.  :)

MishaK

Quote from: Benji on November 07, 2010, 04:57:34 PM
I'd also love to hear the Glagolitic Mass live. Not sure about Boulez with that though - he did it at the BBC Proms a few years back and he didn't look especially interested in the music, but perhaps that's just the way he always looks - i.e. dour haha. There is a Youtube video of the performance if you want a sneak peek of what you might be getting. I hope it's awesome for you.  :)

Boulez has only one facial expression while conducting. Don't let that deceive you about his level of involvement.  ;) I actually have a live recording of a performance he did with the CSO several seasons ago that was issued on a "From the Archives" - Tribute to Pierre Boulez set of radio broadcasts that the CSO put out for a fundraiser a few years ago, so I have a good idea of what to expect and it's the reason I got tickets for that in the first place. He did a Sinfonietta here last season that was spectacular.

Benji

Quote from: Mensch on November 07, 2010, 05:15:44 PM
Boulez has only one facial expression while conducting. Don't let that deceive you about his level of involvement.  ;)

It's funny - i'm so used to seeing his dour face that when I saw this for the first time...

... I didn't immediately recognise him.  ;D

QuoteI actually have a live recording of a performance he did with the CSO several seasons ago that was issued on a "From the Archives" - Tribute to Pierre Boulez set of radio broadcasts that the CSO put out for a fundraiser a few years ago, so I have a good idea of what to expect and it's the reason I got tickets for that in the first place. He did a Sinfonietta here last season that was spectacular.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts then, come December. Enjoy!

Sid

Looking forward to going to this one this evening:

Cocktail Hour Recital - Three Clarinets +

Three Clarinets +
Monday 8 November 6.00pm
Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Ros Dunlop clarinet, Sue Newsome clarinet, Natascha Briger clarinet,
Christopher Kimber violin, Valmai Coggins viola, Julia Ryder cello,
David Miller piano

Schoenberg Suite 29
Feldman Three clarinets, cello and piano
Smith T(F)ree Radicals

I've seen some of these musicians in other recitals at the Con. I have never heard any of these pieces, and I haven't seen any works by Feldman or Smith live. Don't even know who this Smith guy is, perhaps he's an Australian composer?...

Sid

Quote from: Sid on November 07, 2010, 08:58:20 PM
Looking forward to going to this one this evening:

Cocktail Hour Recital - Three Clarinets +

Three Clarinets +
Monday 8 November 6.00pm
Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Ros Dunlop clarinet, Sue Newsome clarinet, Natascha Briger clarinet,
Christopher Kimber violin, Valmai Coggins viola, Julia Ryder cello,
David Miller piano

Schoenberg Suite Op. 29 for violin, viola, cello, piano, Eb clarinet, Bb/A clarinet, Bass clarinet
Feldman Three clarinets, cello and piano
Smith T(F)ree Radicals for three bass clarinets and electronics

I've seen some of these musicians in other recitals at the Con. I have never heard any of these pieces, and I haven't seen any works by Feldman or Smith live. Don't even know who this Smith guy is, perhaps he's an Australian composer?...

Enjoyed this recital. Yes, Margery Smith was an Australian composer, and she was there at the performance at the electronics console for the performance of her piece. It had disssonance, some quite groovy jazzy moments, with the electronics providing a vague backdrop of sounds which I was constantly trying to work out what they were - natural or man-made? The Feldman was a slow, quiet and very intense piece. In complete contrast, the Schoenberg was very busy, full of this Baroque like counterpoint married with serialism. I was a bit exhausted by this piece because I'd never heard it before, and was trying to follow the various voices, but eventually gave up and just tried to listen without being too anal about it. All in all, this was a great recital...

not edward

Quote from: Mensch on November 07, 2010, 05:15:44 PM
Boulez has only one facial expression while conducting. Don't let that deceive you about his level of involvement.  ;)
One of the most amusing things I've seen at a concert was Boulez getting carried away conducting the LSO in the last movement of Mahler's 6th. His face still looked dour, but he was waving his arms around much more dramatically than usual, and at the build-up to climaxes I could swear his feet left the ground a few times.

If I'd ever bought into Boulez the emotionless, I certainly didn't after that performance.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

MishaK

Quote from: edward on November 08, 2010, 02:50:01 PM
One of the most amusing things I've seen at a concert was Boulez getting carried away conducting the LSO in the last movement of Mahler's 6th. His face still looked dour, but he was waving his arms around much more dramatically than usual, and at the build-up to climaxes I could swear his feet left the ground a few times.

If I'd ever bought into Boulez the emotionless, I certainly didn't after that performance.

Actually, if you have this DVD:

watch the Firebird. Toward the end when the horn solo comes in, I swear Boulez is so overcome by the beauty of it all he actually gets all teary eyed. You have to watch carefully, it's only a brief moment where you can see it.

Scarpia

Quote from: Mensch on November 09, 2010, 06:58:50 AMToward the end when the horn solo comes in, I swear Boulez is so overcome by the beauty of it all he actually gets all teary eyed. You have to watch carefully, it's only a brief moment where you can see it.

You're sure it wasn't due to conjunctivitis?

Opus106

Just bought myself a ticket for an evening of Chamber Music to be performed by Trio Imàge (on the 18th). I don't have the exact programme, but I'm guessing well-known piano trios (::)).
Regards,
Navneeth

Benji

Quote from: Opus106 on November 10, 2010, 04:15:27 AM
Just bought myself a ticket for an evening of Chamber Music to be performed by Trio Imàge (on the 18th). I don't have the exact programme, but I'm guessing well-known piano trios (::)).

It'd be amusing if they just played 4'33"  ;D

karlhenning

Opus106

Quote from: Benji on November 10, 2010, 04:42:32 AM
It'd be amusing if they just played 4'33"  ;D

Sure, as long as it's the after-show encore. :P
Regards,
Navneeth

bhodges

Any trio that releases a CD combining Mozart, Schumann and Kagel gets my attention.  Hope the concert is interesting, and do report back.

--Bruce

Opus106

Quote from: bhodges on November 10, 2010, 06:13:28 AM
Any trio that releases a CD combining Mozart, Schumann and Kagel gets my attention.  Hope the concert is interesting, and do report back.

--Bruce

Surely, Bruce. While programmes, being the rarities that they are, generally tend to be on the "gentler" side, I have attended a concert which featured a string quartet composed in '97. Indeed, it would be interesting to see if they mix in the Kagel -- whose music is unknown to me, BTW -- somewhere.
Regards,
Navneeth

bhodges

Quote from: Opus106 on November 10, 2010, 06:21:22 AM
Surely, Bruce. While programmes, being the rarities that they are, generally tend to be on the "gentler" side, I have attended a concert which featured a string quartet composed in '97. Indeed, it would be interesting to see if they mix in the Kagel -- whose music is unknown to me, BTW -- somewhere.

"Gentler" is fine.  ;)  I'm just impressed when a group looks a little "outside the box" for repertoire (Kagel isn't done that often), and just the fact that they are paying attention to music from the 1990s is a good thing, too.   

May have to seek out that CD!

--Bruce

Opus106

Just bought myself a ticket for an evening of Chamber Music to be performed by Trio Imàge (on the 18th). I don't have the exact programme, but I'm guessing well-known piano trios ( ::) ).

According to the preview in today's paper, the trio will be playing Mozart, K. 458; Beethoven's in E-flat major (which one?), and Brahms' opus 87. This will mark the first time I listen to the music of the 'other' B's performed live.
Regards,
Navneeth

springrite

Quote from: Opus106 on November 11, 2010, 06:54:54 AM
This will mark the first time I listen to the music of the 'other' B's performed live.

Can't believe you have never heard Beethoven LIVE. It's about time!!!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Opus106

Quote from: springrite on November 11, 2010, 07:36:21 AM
Can't believe you have never heard Beethoven LIVE. It's about time!!!

Yep. Still haven't ticked the 'Watch a symphony orchestra perform' off the list, though. :(
Regards,
Navneeth

bhodges

Quote from: Opus106 on November 11, 2010, 08:07:27 AM
Yep. Still haven't ticked the 'Watch a symphony orchestra perform' off the list, though. :(

Oh I hope that is fulfilled sooner rather than later!  Recordings are great--make no mistake, and I feel lucky to live in an age where you can listen to something hundreds of times if you want to--but hearing a terrific group in person is one of life's great pleasures.

Tomorrow night, seeing this:

Bernstein: A Quiet Place
New York City Opera

--Bruce