What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

I've already shared this with Bruce, but thought I would post it here as well.

It's the 20th anniversary of the Winnipeg New Music Festival Week, coming up Jan 28th to Feb 4th, which features brand new or 'newer' music from contemporary composers from Canada, USA and other countries.

I'm excited as Pendereckiwill be making an appearance there this year, and four of his works will be played (Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, Quartetto per archi, Viola Concerto and Symphony No. 7 'Seven Gates of Jerusalem').  The Kronos Quartet, John Corigliano and percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie will be there as well.

Here are some more of the works being featured in the NMF: http://www.newmusicfestival.ca/wp

karlhenning

That's splendid, Ray! Live performance really illumines the Threnody, in particular.

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 12, 2011, 09:29:22 AM
That's splendid, Ray! Live performance really illumines the Threnody, in particular.

That is a splendid piece!  I can't wait to hear all of it.

bhodges

That's quite an excellent line-up, and says a lot about Mickelthwate and about Winnipeg's arts scene in general.  And yes, I'd love to hear the Threnody live, too.  I'm surprised it doesn't show up on programs more often.

And to hear Evelyn Glennie would also be a real treat, not to mention the Kronos Quartet.

--Bruce

david-jw

I am going to see Pollini perform Op 109/110/111 in Feb in London   ;D

Cant wait!

jlaurson

Quote from: david-jw on January 12, 2011, 10:37:31 AM

Cant wait!
When-Where?

bhodges

Another great one coming up--the closing night of this year's Focus! Festival--and it's free.

Jan. 28, 2011
Juilliard Orchestra
Jeffrey Milarsky, conductor

Lutoslawski: Overture for Strings
Lutoslawski: Concerto for Cello and Orchestra
Lutoslawski: Partita for Violin and Orchestra
Lutoslawski: Symphony no. 4

--Bruce

Brian

Quote from: david-jw on January 12, 2011, 10:37:31 AM

Cant wait!

Oh man, I need to grab tickets for that FAST. They'll sell out in a hurry if they haven't already.

david-jw

Quote from: Brian on January 12, 2011, 02:36:02 PM
Oh man, I need to grab tickets for that FAST. They'll sell out in a hurry if they haven't already.

Yeah go for it..... it should be amazing.

I am very familiar with his great 1970's recording of these works so am looking forward to seeing what 35 years has brought to his interpretation.

Maybe he will be re-recording them  before he retires?.............

bhodges

Tonight, MATA presents another one of its Interval concerts with young composers.  The series is at Issue Project Room, a small experimental venue in Brooklyn.  The program is curated by Juraj Kojs, and I've not heard any of his music, nor any of the others.

(from the MATA website)

"In this program, seven composers/performers will introduce their approach to extending, hybridizing and abstracting the principles of instrumental design in a multimodal musical performance. Spencer Topel will present a piece for violin and live electronics. Jorge Variego will perform a composition for clarinet and a joystick controller. Juraj Kojs will manipulate the Slovakian sheep bells with digitally modeled cyberbell structures, and the Zeta cello, novel K-Bow controller and narration will be the focal point for Sarah O'Halloran and Margaret Schedel. Chikashi Miyama's hands will sculpt musical structures in the air over his non-haptic Peacock instrument, and Paula Matthusen will show her work for live electronic organisms in jars."

--Bruce

Elnimio

None, really. It's a very disappointing season at the ASO.

Sid

Went to this one yesterday:

Christ Church St Laurence (Sydney) Organ Recital Series
Christopher Cook (Melbourne organist)
Instrument: Hill & Son organ, 1892

Programme:

GF Handel (arr. WH Goss-Custard) - Overture to the Occasional Oratorio
F Liszt (arr. Edwin Lemaire) - Sposalizio (from Years of Pilgramage, Italian Book)
Percy Whitlock - Canzona & Scherzetto from Sonata (1936)
Jean Langlais - Prelude modal; Bells
E Elgar - Prelude & Angel's Farewell (from Dream of Gerontius)
Henri Mulet - Rosace (3 of Esquisses Byzantines)
Alexandre Pierre Francois Boely - Fantasie & Fugue in Bb

I have been wanting to hear French organ music live for some time, and this recital was great because that's my favourite part of the organ repertoire. The Handel was quite robust as usual, and a great opener. I didn't recognise the Liszt in the organ arrangement, it sounded totally different to the original piano version to my ears. I especially liked Langlais' second piece "Bells" - he got the sonorities right of the bell sounds and ringing the changes, imo. The Mulet was also a colourful and airy piece. The concluding Boely sounded much like Widor to my ears. I had not heard any of the music of the lesser names here, except for Langlais (got to get more of his stuff). This instrument is not the biggest organ, but the textures are quite subtle, the sounds very colourful. The recital went for exactly an hour, which was a very full programme, especially considering that it was free. I plan to go to more of these in the future (for people in Sydney - they're on the 3rd Sunday of each month at 2pm)...

jlaurson

off on my little European two-week odyssey

Mahler 7 | Boulez | RCO | Amsterdam
"K.A.Hartmann Night" | MKO | Munich
Werther | dir. Villazon | Lyon
Braunfels: Uhlenspiegel | Gera / Thuringia
MozartWoche | Salzburg
Brahms d-minor | Barto | Tonkuenstler | St.Poelten
Week @ Wigmore | London

Brian

listener

conductor change ahead this weekend.... Christoph Campestrini replaces Elgar Howarth in a program of BARBER Violin Concerto and BRUCKNER Symphony 6 (edition not stated) with the Vancouver S.O.   No reason given.
Campestrini seems to be a fast learner, he gets a lot of guest and festival bookings, the Barber/Bruckner combination is not standard repertoire.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Brian

Help Brian decide!

Should he

1. Catch the Hagen Quartet playing Mozart and a UK premiere by Georg Friedrich Haas on 29 and 30 January at home in London,
2. Take a train to Liverpool to see the RLPO/Petrenko in Rachmaninov's Second Symphony and Sibelius' First on 28 and 30 January,
3. or catch the RLPO on the 28th and dash back to London for the Hagen concerts?

MishaK

Hopefully I'll make it to at least one of these:

7:00 PM
Monday January 31, 2011

Musicians from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra
André de Ridder, conductor
Mason Bates, Mead Composer-in-Residence and host
Anna Clyne, Mead Composer-in-Residence and host
Mouse On Mars

Martin Matalon  Las siete vidas de un gato 
Mouse on Mars  Electronica set

8:00 PM
Wednesday February 2, 2011

The Cleveland Orchestra
Franz Welser-Möst, conductor
Pierre-Laurent Aimard, piano

Wagner  Overture to Tannhäuser
Bartók  Piano Concerto No. 2
Strauss  Ein Heldenleben 

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on January 20, 2011, 06:37:30 AM
Help Brian decide!

Should he

1. Catch the Hagen Quartet playing Mozart and a UK premiere by Georg Friedrich Haas on 29 and 30 January at home in London,
2. Take a train to Liverpool to see the RLPO/Petrenko in Rachmaninov's Second Symphony and Sibelius' First on 28 and 30 January,
3. or catch the RLPO on the 28th and dash back to London for the Hagen concerts?

Assuming potential train delays are not an issue, I definitely vote for No. 3!  The program is great (just checked), and Haas is a composer on the ascent.  Last year I heard the JACK Quartet do his String Quartet No. 3, which is played in total darkness.

Quote from: Mensch on January 20, 2011, 07:02:14 AM
Hopefully I'll make it to at least one of these:

7:00 PM
Monday January 31, 2011

Musicians from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra
André de Ridder, conductor
Mason Bates, Mead Composer-in-Residence and host
Anna Clyne, Mead Composer-in-Residence and host
Mouse On Mars

Martin Matalon  Las siete vidas de un gato 
Mouse on Mars  Electronica set

8:00 PM
Wednesday February 2, 2011

The Cleveland Orchestra
Franz Welser-Möst, conductor
Pierre-Laurent Aimard, piano

Wagner  Overture to Tannhäuser
Bartók  Piano Concerto No. 2
Strauss  Ein Heldenleben 

Wow, the CSO collaborating with Mouse on Mars--who would have thought?   :o   I would definitely go to that if it were here.  And I'm hearing Cleveland here in a few weeks in similar music, but Aimard is doing the Schumann Piano Concerto, rather than the Bartók.

--Bruce