What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

QuoteSNAPE - 18/08/11
Louis Lortie - piano
Liszt - Années de pèlerinage (complete)

This work has probably for a while been my "final frontier" of piano works to date, some beautiful moments but way too many heavy handed passages and unsettled moods for my current liking, meaning I had never really gone through a full listen of an année before. I somehow decided to give it a chance last week at Snape. I turned up at the concert hall pretty stressed out and cranky, after a rubbish day at work, only to be greeted by a Louis Lortie absolutely hammering the first notes, so much so i hardly recognised the intro...add to that his arms twirling, his chair-bouncing and the head-waving mannerisms to put me off the music...and i thought I was in for a never ending evening !  :o   Considering he was playing the 3 années in totality, that was pretty much that as well !!  ;D

and yet....

His playing dragged me well and truly into the works. The contrasts between the heavy moments and the soft sweet melodies had a more impactful "unity" heard live than on CD (Angelich). I rapidly forgot about his  mannerisms too because I genuinely saw those as Lortie being engrossed in the piece and that was pretty much my case too (if you except a couple of lengthy moments along the way). For some reason, he played the 1st année then split the 3rd année either side of the interval and finished by the 2nd année. The latter did stand out overall and i must admit a couple of gentler melodies caught me off guard and my eyes welled up a bit then.   

I would not necessarily classify this concert as one of my top "wow" live experiences but I believe this may be one that will have a more lasting effect on me by having pushed the boundaries of my piano tastes that little bit further that evening  :) Piano works can be a bit more bombastic...and that's ok...  ;D   
Olivier

springrite

Well, nothing specific yet, but since I will be in SoCal between October 12th and 23rd (or so), I hope to go to a concert there, maybe in Disney Hall which was completed before I left but was not inaugurated until the following season. I will also be in Denver between October 23rd and 29th. A symphonic concert and a chamber concert (or recital) during my US stay would be nice, in addition to a college basketball game and a hockey game...

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

bhodges

Quote from: springrite on August 22, 2011, 12:26:55 PM
Well, nothing specific yet, but since I will be in SoCal between October 12th and 23rd (or so), I hope to go to a concert there, maybe in Disney Hall which was completed before I left but was not inaugurated until the following season. I will also be in Denver between October 23rd and 29th. A symphonic concert and a chamber concert (or recital) during my US stay would be nice, in addition to a college basketball game and a hockey game...

Dudamel and the LA Phil are doing two great-looking concerts around that time, with Yefim Bronfman and Jonannes Moser as respective soloists. In between, some of the LA Phil's musicians are doing a chamber music concert with Moser.

http://www.laphil.com/tickets/performance-detail.cfm?id=4610
http://www.laphil.com/tickets/performance-detail.cfm?id=4613
http://www.laphil.com/tickets/performance-detail.cfm?id=4614

--Bruce

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on August 25, 2011, 06:57:39 AM
Notes from the 2011 Salzburg Festival ( 12 )
[/size]
Guest Orchestra • ORF RSO Vienna • Rott / Berg[/font]

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/08/rottnroll-notes-from-2011-salzburg.html[/url]

Sorry I missed that one.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

madaboutmahler

My summer full of BBC Proms is coming close to ending now, but first I shall be seeing Fischer conduct the Budapest Festival Orchestra in Mahler's 1st symphony, much looking forward to this. The highlights of my BBC Proms summer this year were seeing the National Youth Orchestra/Jurowski perform an extended selection from Prokofiev's R+J, Oramo and the Royal Stockholm Phil perform Nielsen 4, the Philharmonia and Salonen perform Shostakovich's 1st violin concerto (with Lisa Batiashvili) alongside Tchaikovsky's Francesca da Rimini, the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra/Volkov in Bruckner 5 and the BBC Symphony Orchestra with Bychkov in Mahler 6.

Soon, I shall be seeing:
Mahler 9. Philharmonia/Maazel
Strauss Don Juan, Mozart Piano Concerto 23, Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances. London Phil/Gaffigan. (Paul Lewis, piano)
Gubaidulina  In Tempus Praesens, Shostakovich 10. LSO/Gergiev. (Mutter, violin)
Mahler 3. LSO/Bychkov
Elgar Dream of Gerontius CBSO/Nelsons (soloists including Sarah Connoly)
Strauss Also sprach Zarathustra, Metamorphosen, Der Rosenkavlier Suite. Royal Concertgebouw/Jansons

and hopefully:
Delius Sea Drift, Elgar Symphony 1. LPO/Elder

Very excited! :)

And also quite a few local amateur orchestra concerts as well, in which one of my own works shall be performed! :)
Best Wishes
Daniel
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Drasko

Sunday, 15 October, Sava Center, 20.30   
L'ENSEMBLE ORCHESTRAL DE PARIS & CHAMBER CHOIR ACCENTUS
Conductor Laurence Equilbey
Mireille Delunsch, soprano & Matthew Brook, baritone   
Berlioz: Tristia
Berlioz: The Death of Cleopatra
Fauré: Requiem

I hate that hall but the concert is too interesting to pass.

Brahmsian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 30, 2011, 06:52:10 AM
Gubaidulina  In Tempus Praesens LSO/Gergiev. (Mutter, violin)

Best Wishes
Daniel

This is a wonderful piece, Daniel.  Hope you enjoy the live performance!   :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 30, 2011, 06:52:10 AM

and hopefully:

Delius Sea Drift, Elgar Symphony 1. LPO/Elder

Do you know who will be the baritone in this performance of Delius's Sea Drift?

madaboutmahler

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 30, 2011, 02:09:08 PM
This is a wonderful piece, Daniel.  Hope you enjoy the live performance!   :)

It was actually the Shostakovich 10 for which i booked it ( ;) ) but yes, I am sure I will enjoy the Gubaidulina as well! :)

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 30, 2011, 03:20:12 PM
Do you know who will be the baritone in this performance of Delius's Sea Drift?

The baritone will be Roderick Williams  in the Delius. Cannot say I have heard of him... have you?

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on August 31, 2011, 08:38:34 AM
The baritone will be Roderick Williams  in the Delius. Cannot say I have heard of him... have you?

Daniel

I believe he's got a series of Naxos CDs of songs by various English composers (Britten, Vaughan Williams, etc) - haven't heard them, though.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Brian on August 31, 2011, 11:05:14 AM
I believe he's got a series of Naxos CDs of songs by various English composers (Britten, Vaughan Williams, etc) - haven't heard them, though.

Thank you for telling me of this, I shall take a look.

Best Wishes
— Ludwig van Beethoven

North Star

Anna-Maria Helsing & Oulu Symphony
Tuija Knihtilä mezzo soprano

Väinö Raitio: Joutsenet (Swans)
Gustav Mahler: Kindertotenlieder
Jean Sibelius: 5th Symphony

Anna-Maria Helsing & Oulu Symphony
Franz Liszt: Mephisto Waltz no 1
Sergei Rakhmaninov: Paganini Rhapsody
Franz Liszt: Totentanz
Max Reger: Arnold Böcklin suite

Jaakko Kuusisto & Oulu Symphony
Arto Satukangas, piano

Kodály: Summer Evening
Liszt: 1st Piano Concerto
Mozart: 41st Symphony

Haydn - The Seasons

Peter Schreier
Oulu Symphony
Oulu Chamber Choir
Tuira Chamber Choir
Piia Komsi, soprano
Mati Turi, tenor
David Wilson-Johnson, baritone

Aapo Häkkinen & Helsinki Baroque Orchestra
María Cristina Kiehr

Buxtehude – Kirchhoff – Cazzati – Monteverdi
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

stingo

Just received my season subscription tickets for the Philadelphia Orchestra. No power so I can't report all the goodies but very much looking forward Brahms' German Requiem in November.

Florestan

http://www.festivalenescu.ro/

Sunday, September 11th

ROYAL LIVERPOOL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA

Conductor : VASILY PETRENKO
Soloist : ALEXEI VOLODIN - piano

I. Stravinsky - Symphony in 3 Movements (1942-5)
S. Prokofiev - Piano Concerto No. 3 in C major op. 26
S. Rachmaninoff - Symphony No. 3 in A minor op. 44

Sunday, September 25th

ITAMAR GOLAN - piano
ILYA GRINGOLTS - violin
GARY HOFFMAN - cello

G. Enescu - Piano Trio in A minor
D. Shostakovich - Piano Trio No. 2 in E minor op. 67
J. Brahms – Piano Trio în B major op. 8

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy