What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

The Richmond Symphony's schedule doesn't always excite me, but this line up for a 2-concert series in November (12th & 13th) is very intriguing and impressive.

Conductor: Steven Smith
Guest Artists: Anton Nel, Piano

Rossini - Overture to The Barber of Seville
Poulenc - Gloria
Ravel - Concerto for Piano in G Major
Stravinsky - Jeu de Cartes (Game of Cards)

karlhenning

Nice little program, Greg. The Rossini and that Stravinsky ballet are a natural fit; nice bookends.

JerryS

The long, exceedingly hot and exceptionally dry Texas summer is finally beginning to ease a bit (at least it's cooler in the mornings). The local music groups are ready for the new season. This weekend we have concerts by chamber group Camerata San Antonio. I'll be at their performance Friday in Boerne. On the program:

Haydn: Piano Trio No. 39 in G Major, "Gypsy"
Kodaly: Duo for Violin and Cello, Op. 7
Brahms: Piano Quartet No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 25

I'm very familiar with the Haydn and Brahms. The concertmaster and principal cellist of the San Antonio Symphony will be playing the Kodaly, so it should be a memorable performance.
Jerry

bhodges

Tomorrow night:

Bernstein: West Side Story - The New York Philharmonic will screen a new print of the film, marking its 50th anniversary, using technology that "erases" the instrumental parts, which the orchestra will play live. David Newman - son of film composer Alfred - will conduct.

And on Saturday night:

Mahler: Symphony No. 2 (Dorothea Röschmann / Michelle DeYoung / Alan Gilbert / New York Philharmonic) - A free concert marking the 9/11 anniversary, which will be broadcast Sunday night on PBS and then later released on DVD.

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra 2011/2012 Season Opener

Friday, September 23, 2011

Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No. 2

Horacio Gutierrez - piano

Dvorak - Symphony No. 8

Alexander Mickelthwate, conducting

bhodges

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 07, 2011, 01:18:42 PM

Dvorak - Symphony No. 8

Now that's a fine-looking concert. I've not heard Gutierrez live, although I like his set of the Prokofiev piano concertos (part of that big series on Chandos). And who could not like the third movement waltz in the Eighth?

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Anyone attending the opening concert tonight in Montreal, in their brand new concert hall L'Adresse symphonique

KENT NAGANO, conductor
ERIN WALL, soprano
MIHOKO FUJIMURA, mezzo-soprano
SIMON O'NEILL, tenor
MIKHAIL PETRENKO, bass
OSM CHORUS
TAFELMUSIK CHAMBER CHOIR
IVARS TAURINS, chorus director
TIMOTHY HUTCHINS, OSM principal flute
ANDRÉE CHAPELLE, récitante
CHLOÉ SAINTE-MARIE, récitante
MARC BÉLAND, récitant
DAVID USHER, récitant

The inaugural concert features:

CLAUDE VIVIER, Jesus erbarme dich, for chorus
JOSÉPHINE BACON, original text (recited by Chloé Sainte-Marie)
YANN MARTEL, original text (recited by David Usher)
GILLES TREMBLAY, Envol : Alléluia for solo flute
MARIE-CLAIRE BLAIS, original text (recited by Andrée Lachelle)
WAJDI MOUAWAD, original text (recited y Marc Béland)
JULIEN BILODEAU, Qu'un cri élève nos chants!, Premiere, OSM commission
LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN, Symphony No. 9

CBC Radio Two will be broadcasting it live, and I believe CBC TV will be airing the concert as well (although not sure if they are airing it live or taped)

Wish I were in Montreal tonight!  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brewski on September 07, 2011, 01:23:54 PM
Now that's a fine-looking concert. I've not heard Gutierrez live, although I like his set of the Prokofiev piano concertos (part of that big series on Chandos). And who could not like the third movement waltz in the Eighth?

--Bruce

I've never heard of Gutierrez, to be honest Bruce.   ???  I'm looking forward to Dvorak's 8th (my favorite of his symphonies).  I love the all hell breaks loose theme in the final movement (uncharacteristic of Dvorak).

Can't wait for the 2nd concert in October, Bruce.  It is an all Shostakovich program, conducted by Maxim Shostakovich!   :)

bhodges

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 07, 2011, 01:25:26 PM
CBC Radio Two will be broadcasting it live, and I believe CBC TV will be airing the concert as well (although not sure if they are airing it live or taped)

Wish I were in Montreal tonight!  :)

Thanks for posting this - especially the broadcast information. I knew the hall was opening but hadn't seen the actual first-night program - pretty impressive. Love that they are including a Vivier choral piece, and that's an impressive group of soloists for the Ninth.

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 07, 2011, 01:28:07 PM
I've never heard of Gutierrez, to be honest Bruce.   ???  I'm looking forward to Dvorak's 8th (my favorite of his symphonies).  I love the all hell breaks loose theme in the final movement (uncharacteristic of Dvorak).

Can't wait for the 2nd concert in October, Bruce.  It is an all Shostakovich program, conducted by Maxim Shostakovich!   :)

Gutierrez seems to be slightly off the radar - have no idea why, since he's excellent (at least, on the recordings I've heard). The Eighth might be my favorite, too.

And that Shostakovich concert with Maxim looks super - I'd be excited, too. Actually I just browsed the WSO website and the season is pretty enticing. I see you are getting a Mahler 2 next spring!

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brewski on September 07, 2011, 01:34:30 PM
Thanks for posting this - especially the broadcast information. I knew the hall was opening but hadn't seen the actual first-night program - pretty impressive. Love that they are including a Vivier choral piece, and that's an impressive group of soloists for the Ninth.

Gutierrez seems to be slightly off the radar - have no idea why, since he's excellent (at least, on the recordings I've heard). The Eighth might be my favorite, too.

And that Shostakovich concert with Maxim looks super - I'd be excited, too. Actually I just browsed the WSO website and the season is pretty enticing. I see you are getting a Mahler 2 next spring!

--Bruce

Yup, can't wait for that one (Mahler 2nd)!  Also really looking forward to the Dawn Upshaw concert.

Bruce, regarding the Montreal concert hall opener, I think it can also be viewed lived online, either on the CBC Radio Two website or CBC TV website.  Yes, I'm happy to see they included a Vivier piece.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 07, 2011, 01:28:07 PM
Which pieces of Shostakovich? I imagine that will be a great concert! :)
Daniel
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

bhodges

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 08, 2011, 07:51:57 AM
Which pieces of Shostakovich? I imagine that will be a great concert! :)
Daniel

(Speaking as Ray's temporary, undesignated proxy  ;D)

They're doing the Violin Concerto No. 1, incidental music from Hamlet, and the Ninth Symphony.

--Bruce

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Brewski on September 08, 2011, 08:07:21 AM
(Speaking as Ray's temporary, undesignated proxy  ;D)

They're doing the Violin Concerto No. 1, incidental music from Hamlet, and the Ninth Symphony.

--Bruce

haha ;)
That sounds excellent, I recently saw the violin concerto no.1 live in concert with the Philharmonia/Salonen with Lisa Batiashvili as soloist, she was outstanding.
Daniel
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

bhodges

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 08, 2011, 08:23:05 AM
haha ;)
That sounds excellent, I recently saw the violin concerto no.1 live in concert with the Philharmonia/Salonen with Lisa Batiashvili as soloist, she was outstanding.
Daniel

Yes, yes, yes! She plays that piece with enormous authority. I heard her do it here in 2007 (my review) and was pretty well bowled over.

--Bruce

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 07, 2011, 01:18:42 PM

Dvorak - Symphony No. 8

That's a very good programm, both the pieces are definitely wonderful! :) I'm a bit jealous.....
I've never listened to Gutierrez, but I heard he was a very fine pianist.

Ilaria
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

bhodges

This is a concert just held at the Festival Maribor in Slovenia that gave me a chuckle - not one I personally will be attending, but I thought the program was so unusual - and so long! - that it deserved a mention. (A friend attended and will be reviewing it.)

Richard Tognetti curated the evening, called "Nothing," which included Barry Humphries (a.k.a. Dame Edna) doing two pieces from Walton's Façade:

http://www.festivalmaribor.si/en/program/main-programm/concert-no-9/

--Bruce

Papy Oli

tomorrow night at Snape :

Quatuor Mosaïques

Haydn Quartet Op.20 No.3
Beethoven Quartet Op.135 in F
Mozart Quartet K458 in B flat 'The Hunt'

I only have the Op.135 in my collection and i am not really familiar with it. The other 2 works are totally maiden to me. Reading the general impressions on Quatuor Mosaiques here, I think i'll be in for a treat though  :D

Olivier

Rinaldo

Just a little heads up for those on the vieux continent, three live performances of Zelenka's fabulous Missa votiva coming up in the next week: September 16th in Pontoise, 17th in Prague and 18th in Dresden.

I can definitely vouch for the quality of the ensemble but judge for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/v/CZQzB5Pb6p0

If you happen to be around, don't miss it.