What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Concert performance of Das Rheingold tomorrow evening, by Opera North at the Lowry, Salford Quays:

http://www.youtube.com/v/Fl9PGS2szp4

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Brewski on September 08, 2011, 08:29:39 AM
Yes, yes, yes! She plays that piece with enormous authority. I heard her do it here in 2007 (my review) and was pretty well bowled over.

--Bruce

Certainly, one of the best, most powerful performances of that concerto I have ever heard I think! :) Excellent review, Bruce! :)

Daniel
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 08, 2011, 10:15:18 AM
tomorrow night at Snape :

Quatuor Mosaïques

Haydn Quartet Op.20 No.3
Beethoven Quartet Op.135 in F
Mozart Quartet K458 in B flat 'The Hunt'

I only have the Op.135 in my collection and i am not really familiar with it. The other 2 works are totally maiden to me. Reading the general impressions on Quatuor Mosaiques here, I think i'll be in for a treat though  :D

Enjoyed that one last night - was sitting quite close to the stage this time & really liked the sound of the period instruments (which I had not heard live before).

The second mvt of K458 stood out for me (Menuetto, Moderato) and had a good chuckle with the pizzicato passage thrown in the middle of the finale of op.135  ;D
Olivier

Papy Oli

and more Beethoven SQ in December :

Belcea Quartet - Beethoven Cycle

Quartet Op.95 in F minor
Quartet Op.18 No.6 in B flat
Quartet Op.127 in E flat
Olivier

Lisztianwagner

Next October at La Scala, Milan

16th-19th October

Johannes Brahms : Symphony No.3 in F major Op.90
Philippe Jordan & Filarmonica della Scala

Béla Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra

22nd October

"Homage to Liszt"
Années de pèlegrinage. Deuxieme Année, Italia S. 161
Pianist: Alain Planès

I'm looking forward to seeing those concerts!  :)

Ilaria
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 10, 2011, 07:14:57 AM
Next October at La Scala, Milan

16th-19th October

Johannes Brahms : Symphony No.3 in F major Op.90

Béla Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra

22nd October

"Homage to Liszt"
Années de pèlegrinage. Deuxieme Année, Italia S. 161
Pianist: Alain Planès

I'm looking forward to seeing those concerts!  :)

Ilaria

Those look wonderful, Ilaria! :) Enjoy! :)
Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 10, 2011, 09:31:33 AM
You too with your next concerts!!  ;)

Ilaria

Thank you, Ilaria! :) Have a few great ones coming up this year, including Mahler 9, Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances, Shostakovich 10 etc. :)

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 10, 2011, 10:58:26 AM
Thank you, Ilaria! :) Have a few great ones coming up this year, including Mahler 9, Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances, Shostakovich 10 etc. :)

Daniel

Instead in my case the best concerts are coming just next year, including Mahler No.6, Beethoven Symphonies Cycle, Wagner's Siegfried, etc. :( It's not right, I have still to wait for too much time.

Ilaria

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 10, 2011, 11:10:16 AM
Instead in my case the best concerts are coming just next year, including Mahler No.6, Beethoven Symphonies Cycle, Wagner's Siegfried, etc. :( It's not right, I have still to wait for too much time.

Ilaria

Quite a few of my best concerts are next year as well, including Mahler 3, Sir Simon Rattle conducting Ravel and Debussy etc. :)
Those sound wonderful. Who is conducting Mahler 6?

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 10, 2011, 11:29:51 AM
Those sound wonderful. Who is conducting Mahler 6?

Daniel

Claudio Abbado; he is also conducting Chopin's Piano Concerto No.1 in the same concert, with Daniel Barenboim at the piano, I'm absolutely looking forward to seeing it :)

So great that you're going to see Rattle's concert, is he playing with the Berlin Phil or an english orchestra?

Ilaria

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 10, 2011, 12:05:42 PM
Claudio Abbado; he is also conducting Chopin's Piano Concerto No.1 in the same concert, with Daniel Barenboim at the piano, I'm absolutely looking forward to seeing it :)

So great that you're going to see Rattle's concert, is he playing with the Berlin Phil or an english orchestra?

Ilaria

wow.... I am sure that will be an amazing concert! :) I am very jealous! ;)

Unfortunately it is not the Berlin Phil he is playing with for this concert, it is the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment. That orchestra normally plays baroque/classical period/early romantic, so it would be interesting to hear them play impressionist music! The programme is Faure's Pelleas et Melisande Suite, Ravel's Left Hand Concerto, Debussy "Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune" and "La Mer". Very excited! :)

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 10, 2011, 12:32:27 PM
wow.... I am sure that will be an amazing concert! :) I am very jealous! ;)

Unfortunately it is not the Berlin Phil he is playing with for this concert, it is the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment. That orchestra normally plays baroque/classical period/early romantic, so it would be interesting to hear them play impressionist music! The programme is Faure's Pelleas et Melisande Suite, Ravel's Left Hand Concerto, Debussy "Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune" and "La Mer". Very excited! :)

Daniel

About Rach's Symphonic Dances and Shostakovich No.10, I'm very jealous too  ;)

I understood......hmm, I'm sure yours will be very exciting as well; pity there's not the Berlin Phil in that concert, but anyway I think it will be really interesting to hear Mahler's music performed by an orchestra which doesn't normally play impressionist music  :)

Ilaria

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 10, 2011, 01:34:11 PM
About Rach's Symphonic Dances and Shostakovich No.10, I'm very jealous too  ;)

I understood......hmm, I'm sure yours will be very exciting as well; pity there's not the Berlin Phil in that concert, but anyway I think it will be really interesting to hear Mahler's music performed by an orchestra which doesn't normally play impressionist music  :)

Ilaria

:)

It's not Rattle doing the Mahler 3, that will be LSO/Bychkov :)
But I'd love to see the Berlin Phil do anything.... :)

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 10, 2011, 01:49:45 PM
:)

It's not Rattle doing the Mahler 3, that will be LSO/Bychkov :)
But I'd love to see the Berlin Phil do anything.... :)

Daniel

I'm deeply sorry for the mistake, you're right! Interesting freudian lapsus, maybe it happened because I'm listening to Mahler No.8 now  ;)

In this case I should replace Mahler with Faure/Ravel/Debussy; wow, Bychkov is an amazing conductor, I'm going to see one of his concerts next year :)

Ilaria

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 10, 2011, 02:08:26 PM
I'm deeply sorry for the mistake, you're right! Interesting freudian lapsus, maybe it happened because I'm listening to Mahler No.8 now  ;)

In this case I should replace Mahler with Faure/Ravel/Debussy; wow, Bychkov is an amazing conductor, I'm going to see one of his concerts next year :)

Ilaria

haha :) No problem :)
Hope you enjoyed Mahler 8, what a masterpiece, I am really desperate to see that one live. However, seeing any Mahler symphony live is an amazing experience! :)

Yes, I do like Bychkov, very interesting technique he has when he beats towards the floor instead of out towards the orchestra! What are you seeing him conduct? A few weeks ago I saw him conduct Mahler 6 at the BBC Proms which was an excellent, thrilling performance! :)

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 11, 2011, 04:24:02 AM

Yes, I do like Bychkov, very interesting technique he has when he beats towards the floor instead of out towards the orchestra! What are you seeing him conduct? A few weeks ago I saw him conduct Mahler 6 at the BBC Proms which was an excellent, thrilling performance! :)

Daniel

The programm is:
Arnold Schönberg      Verklärte Nacht op. 4, version for string orchestra
Johannes Brahms      Symphony No.2 in D major Op. 73

It should surely be an interesting concert ;)

Ilaria

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 11, 2011, 04:31:40 AM
The programm is:
Arnold Schönberg      Verklärte Nacht op. 4, version for string orchestra
Johannes Brahms      Symphony No.2 in D major Op. 73

It should surely be an interesting concert ;)

Ilaria

That sounds like a wonderful concert. The Schoenberg is one of my favourites, what a beautiful piece! To get a taster, Bychkov conducted the piece with the Berliner Philharmoniker a while ago, so you can see a little trailer at the Digital Concert Hall. One of the best interpretations of it I have ever heard actually! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67UwwIer04U

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Kontrapunctus

I have second row center tickets to the Arditti Quartet 4/12/12 in San Francisco: Here is their program:

BEETHOVEN: Grosse Fuge, Op. 133
BERG: String Quartet, Op. 3
ADÈS: Four Quarters
BARTÓK: String Quartet No. 4 in C Major

Surprisingly tame for them!

stingo

SHOSTAKOVICH Symphony No. 10
LISZT Piano Concerto No. 1
LISZT Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2
The Philadelphia Orchestra
Charles Dutoit, conductor
Lang Lang, piano

My first concert for the season (10/22). Should be a good time.