What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Amfortas

Boston Philharmonic, Benjamin Zander cond.

The Nielsen is the highlight for me, never heard it live
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Amfortas on October 14, 2011, 02:06:34 AM
Boston Philharmonic, Benjamin Zander cond.

The Nielsen is the highlight for me, never heard it live

Looks like an amazing concert!
The Nielsen will be an amazing experience especially if it is the first time you have seen it live!
I saw it live rather recently and was in the choir seats behind the orchestra, so I was just a few meters behind the timpani for that glorious duel in the finale! A concert I will always remember.
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Coco

Quote from: Coco on September 27, 2011, 04:49:22 AM
The English Concert Friday, October 14, 2011, 7:30 – 9:30pm
University of Chicago

Purcell: Suite from King Arthur
Vivaldi: Sonata in D minor, op. 1, no. 12, RV 63, "La Follia"
Telemann: Tafelmusik II
Vivaldi: Concerto for Two Trumpets in C major, RV 537
Telemann: Concerto for Viola & Strings
Purcell: Suite from Fairy Queen

http://chicagopresents.uchicago.edu/concert-schedule/20102011-season/season-calendar/calendar/#/?i=3

Just got back from this, excellent show. :)

bhodges

Tomorrow afternoon at Carnegie:

The MET Orchestra
Fabio Luisi, Principal Conductor
Richard Goode, Piano
Christine Rice, Mezzo-Soprano

Mozart: Overture to The Magic Flute
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 25 in C Major, K. 503
John Harbison / Alice Munro: Closer To My Own Life (World Premiere)
R. Strauss: Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche

--Bruce

Amfortas

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 14, 2011, 09:03:38 AM
Looks like an amazing concert!
The Nielsen will be an amazing experience especially if it is the first time you have seen it live!
I saw it live rather recently and was in the choir seats behind the orchestra, so I was just a few meters behind the timpani for that glorious duel in the finale! A concert I will always remember.

Heading out to it now, looking forward  :)
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

madaboutmahler

— Ludwig van Beethoven

SonicMan46

Yesterday afternoon - our local Winston-Salem Symphony w/ Robert Moody, conductor & musical director:

Overture to the Wasps by Ralph Vaughan Williams
Flight of the Bumblebee by Rimsky-Korsakov
Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto by He Zhanhao/Chen Gang w/  Steven Moeckel on violin

Symphony No. 7 by Antonin Dvorak for the second half

The surprise to me was the beautiful 'Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto', a piece that I had not heard before; the music was beautiful, evocative, and w/ engaging
Chinese melodies - neither had I heard of Steven Moeckel (German born but now the concertmaster of the Phoenix SO in Arizona).  :)

Amfortas

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 16, 2011, 03:04:35 AM
How was it? Hope you enjoyed it!

How was it? I don't know where to begin about the Nielsen.
The Sibelius was a revelation of a piece I know pretty well, hearing it live reveals Sibelius as a genius orchestrator.

The Tchaikovsky concerto was well done, I'm not crazy about the work

The Nielsen 4th had everyone leaning forward, spellbound. A perfect performance. The orchestra sounds world-class to my ears.

I absolutely loved it. I wish you could have been there too!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 17, 2011, 06:19:53 AM
The surprise to me was the beautiful 'Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto', a piece that I had not heard before; the music was beautiful, evocative, and w/ engaging
Chinese melodies - neither had I heard of Steven Moeckel (German born but now the concertmaster of the Phoenix SO in Arizona).  :)

I haven't listened to that in years. Think I'll take it down from the shelf. I could use some "easy listening" right now  :)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Amfortas on October 17, 2011, 08:14:56 AM
How was it? I don't know where to begin about the Nielsen.
The Sibelius was a revelation of a piece I know pretty well, hearing it live reveals Sibelius as a genius orchestrator.

The Nielsen 4th had everyone leaning forward, spellbound. A perfect performance. The orchestra sounds world-class to my ears.

I absolutely loved it. I wish you could have been there too!

Great, I wish I could have been there as well! ;)

— Ludwig van Beethoven

karlhenning

Quote from: Amfortas on October 17, 2011, 08:14:56 AM

If you're not crazy about the work, then the performance was a disservice ; )

springrite

Paul aka SpringRite, checking in from the good ole USA!

Attended a concert the Disney Hall for the first time. Bronfman had a hand injury, so th emuch anticipated Bartok PC 3 was replaced by Ravel's Daphnes et Chloe Suite 2.

The concert opens with Vivier's ORION, which I am hearing for the first time. Rather interesting work, but I am not daft enough to make heads or tails. I enjoyed it modestly.

The Daphnes et Chloe Suite 2, as a replacement for Bartok PC, was the highlight of the evening. Maestro Dudamel commanded the orchestral beautifully, bringing out all the colors, and allowed the soloists to shine in a work that for 2?3 of its duration is much like chamber music for a large number of musicians. The final flurry was fast, furious with just the right amount of control. Perfection!

After intermission, the Tchaikovsky 5 was for me the disappintment of the night. There is not an ounce of Russian-ness to Dudamel's interpretation. Beyond that, for a work with recurring themes and motifs, he somehow delivered little or no focus. It actually sounded like one disassociated episode after another. I know Salonen himself was not great with romantic repertoire or Tchaikovsky, but Esa-Pekka did ten times better when he was 24, and 20 times better later. Then again, it should be expected from a young maestro who basically grow up and spend most of his time in South America, with limited exposure to culturals outside of the main stream European (and the Americas). I sure hope he gets better with these. The grey hairs who pay most of the bills wants these stuff.

Overall, a worthwhile experience. On my next trip, I will probably try to get to some of the contemporary concerts and chamber concerts (like the Green Umbrella Series).

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

bhodges

Thanks for the write-up, Paul! Sorry that Dudamel seemed to be off his game with the Tchaikovsky, but glad the rest was enjoyable. How did you like the hall itself? I think it's one of the world's most beautiful rooms in which to hear music, and the sound is clear, almost palpable.

Tonight, performances at a benefit for MATA, the organization nourishing young composers:

Maya Beiser (cello) in music by Chinary Ung
Steven Schick (percussion) plays Brian Ferneyhough
Joan LaBarbara (voice) in John Cage
International Contemporary Ensemble plays Philip Glass

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: springrite on October 17, 2011, 08:36:48 PM
Paul aka SpringRite, checking in from the good ole USA!

Attended a concert the Disney Hall for the first time. Bronfman had a hand injury, so th emuch anticipated Bartok PC 3 was replaced by Ravel's Daphnes et Chloe Suite 2.

Bummer that they bagged the Bartók!  We're still getting the Brahms Op.83 here on Saturday, but the soloist will be Nicholas Angelich . . . if anything, I'm even more eager to hear Angelich than I was Bronfman in the piece.

karlhenning

Quote from: springrite on October 17, 2011, 08:36:48 PM
After intermission, the Tchaikovsky 5 was for me the disappintment of the night. There is not an ounce of Russian-ness to Dudamel's interpretation.

Yeah, but the salsa in the Andante cantabile, con alcuna licenza was hot! ; )

Amfortas

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 17, 2011, 09:36:47 AM
If you're not crazy about the work, then the performance was a disservice ; )

Nah, I have heard the piece many times before

springrite

Quote from: Brewski on October 18, 2011, 11:19:33 AM
Thanks for the write-up, Paul! Sorry that Dudamel seemed to be off his game with the Tchaikovsky, but glad the rest was enjoyable. How did you like the hall itself? I think it's one of the world's most beautiful rooms in which to hear music, and the sound is clear, almost palpable.

--Bruce

The hall's just wonderful. It is probably the best one that I have been to.

There was a bit of salsa in the Tchaikovsky, but no nachos whatsoever.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

North Star

Yesterday: Anna-Maria Helsing & Oulu Symphony Orchestra:
Väinö Raitio: Joutsenet (Swans)   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiDT2jQLsIY
Mahler: Kindertotenlieder (with soprano Tuija Knihtilä)
Sibelius: 5th Symphony

A superb concert again, with an excellent program. The Raitio piece I didn't know before, but it's a very nice late romantic / impressionistic tone poem.
Tuija Knihtilä was absolutely superb in the Kindertotenlieder, good voice, technique, and interpretation.
Sibelius' 5th was performed very well, too, but then again Sibelius is usually done well around here.
All in all, the program and performances were absolutely fantastic.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Anna-Maria Helsing & Oulu Symphony Orchestra,

Liszt: Mephisto Waltz No.1
Rahmaninov: Paganini Rhapsody [Bernd Glemser (piano)]
Liszt: Totentanz
Max Reger: Four tone poems after Arnold Böcklin
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr