What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

listener

I'll pass on this week's Mozart S40, Beethoven PC2 and go next week
SHOSTAKOVICH   Cello Concerto 2 (Daniel Müller-Schott) and DVORAK Symphony 8 + e of the Slavonic Dances
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

pjme

Yesterday, I made it indeed to the Concertgebouw in A'dam for a Villa Lobos concert ( as part of the Europalia Brasil festival).

Three works:

Vidapura (1919): Heitor calls it a "mass/oratorio", but it actually is a ( ca 35 minutes) setting of the catholic mass for soli, chorus and orchestra. No Brazilian flavour at all. Very traditional in an almost anonymous european/late romantic style. More Gounod/Massenet than Bach/Händel. Conductor Celso Antunes ( leader of the Dutch Radio Chorus) corrected a mass of mistakes in the score and lovingly directed his Dutch radio forces in this "youthful sin" . Still, it apparantly earned Heitor enough credits to help him get a pasport for Europe.

Nonetto( 1923-24): a very strange work! Scored for: 1/flute, 2/oboe, 3/clarinet, 4/saxophone, 5/bassoon, 6/percussion (at least 3 musicians!), 7/harp, 8/celesta, 9/piano ...and a mixed chorus! Villa obos calls it a " "Impressão rapida de todo o Brasil" - "Rapid ( quick) Impression of Brazil".
Nonsense texts on onomatopeias and fragments from children's songs. A brittle, yet original ( ca 20 minutes) score . Villa Lobos :"Nova forma de composicao que exprime o ambiente sonoro e os ritmos mais originais do Brasil."
To me it sounded like a score to an expêrimental Art Deco-cartoon, possibly the soundtrack for a Paul Klee documentary...

Choros nr 10 is better known and can be found in several excellent recordings ( Dorian, BIS..). A great and exciting work in Villa Lobos most exuberant manner.

An original and very welcome concert.
P.

AWinter

I'm super excited to catch one of the last shows of Dudamel and Goode at Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. This coming weekend is the last weekend of his residency, and tickets are still available.  I sometimes work with the LA Phil and have been lucky enough to see Dudamel a few times and he is quite amazing.

If anyone is in the LA area and hasn't gotten tickets yet, I'd love to see some fellow music-loving Angelenos at the show!

Here is information on the show from the website:

Oct 28 – 30
Dudamel and Goode
http://www.laphil.com/dudamel

The compelling Strauss tone poem best known for its glorious opening fanfare (2001) complements the crystalline perfection of Mozart's most dramatic piano concerto.

Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 20 has been held in such high regard that Beethoven, Brahms, Hummel, Busoni and Clara Schumann all wrote cadenzas for this D-minor masterpiece. We have the great pleasure of hearing it performed by Grammy winner Richard Goode, who recorded it as part of his highly celebrated series with the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra.

One of the very few pieces inspired by chapters of a philosophical treatise (by Friedrich Nietzsche), Strauss' Also sprach Zarathustra is best known for its glorious opening fanfare.

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Gustavo Dudamel conductor
Richard Goode piano
KURTÁG Grabstein für Stephan (except Fri.)
MOZART Piano Concerto No. 20
STRAUSS Also sprach Zarathustra

:)

stingo

Shostakovich Symphony No. 10
Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2
Liszt Piano Concerto No. 1
Liszt Liebesraum (encore)
Hill & Hill Happy Birthday in the style of Liszt (encore)
The Philadelphia Orchestra
Charles Dutoit, conductor
Lang Lang, piano
October 22nd, 2011

What a fine start to my orchestral season! The band was in fine form for the Shostakovich - and it was a treat to hear all the sections strut their stuff, not just the strings. The somber opening movement portrayed a barren landscape, on which nothing could/should grow, and yet the crescendos were quite surprising (and somewhat welcome). The second movement was frenetic and fast paced, in contrast to the large edifice that had preceded it. The nocturnal third was very much so - and reminded me a lot of Mahler's funeral marches. Thanks to the pre-concert conversation, I found out about the Elmira theme and happy to readily pick it out, along with Shostakovich's musical signature. That signature came back in the resounding triumph in the satisfying conclusion of the work.

Following intermission the 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody provided a fine change of mood, which also served as a warmup piece for the simulcast audience who'd just tuned in for the Liszt's portion of the program. And then there's Lang Lang and his playing of Liszt's Piano Concerto No. 1. The hype surrounding him is large indeed but I think I avoided a good portion of it, as I was very pleasantly surprised by what I heard. Rather than the piece registering as "that was a lot of notes", Lang Lang brought out the contemplative/spiritual nature of the work, with nuanced attacks and dynamics that compelled listening. Not that I've become a Lang Lang fanboy - but I would buy at least his recent release of Liszt's works with Gergiev/Vienna. As an encore, he played Liszt's Liebesraum, which of course featured more of that soft sell playing that left the hall silent (but for someone's phone's beeping alarm). His second, and last encore was to play Happy Birthday in the style of Liszt and had the audience sing along, while the orchestra joined in to accompany him. All in all a fantastic and memorable concert which I was very lucky to attend.

springrite

Quote from: stingo on October 24, 2011, 06:22:34 PM
Shostakovich Symphony No. 10
Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2
Liszt Piano Concerto No. 1
Liszt Liebesraum (encore)
Hill & Hill Happy Birthday in the style of Liszt (encore)
Charles Dutoit, conductor
Lang Lang, piano
October 22nd, 2011

What a fine start to my orchestral season! The band was in fine form for the Shostakovich - and it was a treat to hear all the sections strut their stuff, not just the strings. The somber opening movement portrayed a barren landscape, on which nothing could/should grow, and yet the crescendos were quite surprising (and somewhat welcome). The second movement was frenetic and fast paced, in contrast to the large edifice that had preceded it. The nocturnal third was very much so - and reminded me a lot of Mahler's funeral marches. Thanks to the pre-concert conversation, I found out about the Elmira theme and happy to readily pick it out, along with Shostakovich's musical signature. That signature came back in the resounding triumph in the satisfying conclusion of the work.

Following intermission the 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody provided a fine change of mood, which also served as a warmup piece for the simulcast audience who'd just tuned in for the Liszt's portion of the program. And then there's Lang Lang and his playing of Liszt's Piano Concerto No. 1. The hype surrounding him is large indeed but I think I avoided a good portion of it, as I was very pleasantly surprised by what I heard. Rather than the piece registering as "that was a lot of notes", Lang Lang brought out the contemplative/spiritual nature of the work, with nuanced attacks and dynamics that compelled listening. Not that I've become a Lang Lang fanboy - but I would buy at least his recent release of Liszt's works with Gergiev/Vienna. As an encore, he played Liszt's Liebesraum, which of course featured more of that soft sell playing that left the hall silent (but for someone's phone's beeping alarm). His second, and last encore was to play Happy Birthday in the style of Liszt and had the audience sing along, while the orchestra joined in to accompany him. All in all a fantastic and memorable concert which I was very lucky to attend.

I have attended a recital by Lang Lang that was surprisingly good as well. But I hope you kept your eyes closed the whole time though!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

stingo

Quote from: springrite on October 25, 2011, 12:11:44 AM
I have attended a recital by Lang Lang that was surprisingly good as well. But I hope you kept your eyes closed the whole time though!

I did indeed, which helped because they had the house lights up for the simulcast.

bhodges

I'm hearing Dutoit and Philadelphia in that Shostakovich 10 tonight at Carnegie, but with a little different filler:

Charles Dutoit, Chief Conductor
Lang Lang, Piano

FAURÉ: Pavane in F-sharp Minor
BEETHOVEN: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat Major
SHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 10

--Bruce

Lisztianwagner

Two great concerts next December:

21st December:
Daniel Barenboim & Filarmonica della Scala

Ludwig van Beethoven      Symphony No.9 in D minor
Arnold Schönberg               Kammersymphonie Op.9

22nd December:
Gustavo Dudamel & Filarmonica della Scala

Gustav Mahler                   Symphony No.2 "Resurrection"

Can't wait to listen to them!!!  :D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 25, 2011, 07:23:40 AM
Two great concert next December:

21st December:
Daniel Barenboim & Filarmonica della Scala

Ludwig van Beethoven      Symphony No.9 in D minor
Arnold Schönberg               Kammersymphonie Op.9

22nd December:
Gustavo Dudamel & Filarmonica della Scala

Gustav Mahler                   Symphony No.2 "Resurrection"

Can't wait to listen to them!!!  :D

I am so very jealous, Ilaria!!!!! ;) Those are two absolutely amazing concerts!

This coming Friday:

R.Strauss Don Juan
Mozart Piano Concerto no.24
Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances

London Philharmonic
Paul Lewis, piano
James Gaffigan, conductor

Looking forward to it! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

stingo

Quote from: Brewski on October 25, 2011, 07:20:40 AM
I'm hearing Dutoit and Philadelphia in that Shostakovich 10 tonight at Carnegie, but with a little different filler:

Lang Lang, Piano

--Bruce

I figured you were going to hit up the Carnegie Hall gig - should be a good time too.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 25, 2011, 07:28:11 AM
I am so very jealous, Ilaria!!!!! ;) Those are two absolutely amazing concerts!

This coming Friday:

R.Strauss Don Juan

London Philharmonic
Paul Lewis, piano

Amazing!! These is certainly a wonderful concert as well, I really love all the pieces in the programme!!
I hope you will enjoy it!  :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 25, 2011, 10:59:41 AM
Amazing!! These is certainly a wonderful concert as well, I really love all the pieces in the programme!!
I hope you will enjoy it!  :)

Thank you Ilaria, I do hope you enjoy your two upcoming ones as well! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

bhodges

Quote from: Brewski on October 25, 2011, 07:20:40 AM

Lang Lang, Piano

--Bruce

Okay, so I won't write a lot at the moment (review to come), but I was knocked out by Dutoit and the orchestra in the Shostakovich. Not only was the playing at an extraordinarily high level (particularly in the winds, but everywhere), but Dutoit really "gets" the piece - and I wasn't sure that this score was his metier.

Lang Lang gave the quietest performance of the Beethoven I've ever heard, and the Pavane was absolutely lovely.

--Bruce

bhodges

When it rains, it pours - tomorrow night at Carnegie:

Minnesota Orchestra
Osmo Vänskä, Music Director and Conductor
Stephen Hough, Piano

Tchaikovsky: Voyevoda Overture, Op. 3
Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1
Nielsen: Symphony No. 3, "Sinfonia espansiva"

Have never heard Hough live, and haven't heard the Tchaikovsky in maybe a decade. And know the Nielsen somewhat, but don't recall hearing it live, either.

--Bruce

madaboutmahler

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 25, 2011, 07:28:11 AM
This coming Friday:

R.Strauss Don Juan

London Philharmonic
Paul Lewis, piano

This was an absolutely amazing concert! The LPO were on top form, and gave a thrilling, virtuosic performance. And what a brilliant young conductor Gaffigan is, I look forward to seeing more from him in the future. The Mozart concerto was changed to no.17 as Paul Lewis was unable to perform, Jonathan Biss was the pianist instead and gave a delightful performance.
Overall, an amazing concert to remember!

Next one:
Bax: Tintagel
Hogan: Rhapsody for Orchestra
Elgar: Cello Concerto
Holst: The Planets

Misbourne Symphony Orchestra/Richard Jacklin cond.

The piece highlighted is my piece! Very excited as this will be the very first time an orchestral has given a concert performance of my work!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 28, 2011, 02:55:22 PM
Next one:
Bax: Tintagel
Hogan: Rhapsody for Orchestra
Elgar: Cello Concerto
Holst: The Planets

Misbourne Symphony Orchestra/Richard Jacklin cond.

What an enchanting programme, Holst's The Planets and Elgar's Cello Concerto are definitely outstanding, and Bax's Tintagel is very brilliant! I'm rather jealous.....

Hogan.......I've never heard about this composer, who is he?  ;)

Joking aside, I would have liked to see the concert, but coming from Italy would have been very hard  :( Anyway I really hope the concert will be a success and your piece will be appreciated!!  :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 29, 2011, 02:11:58 AM
What an enchanting programme, Holst's The Planets and Elgar's Cello Concerto are definitely outstanding, and Bax's Tintagel is very brilliant! I'm rather jealous.....

Hogan.......I've never heard about this composer, who is he?  ;)

Joking aside, I would have liked to see the concert, but coming from Italy would have been very hard  :( Anyway I really hope the concert will be a success and your piece will be appreciated!!  :)

Certainly is a wonderful programme! :)
haha ;) Yes, I understand Ilaria, shame you can't come, would have been lovely to have you there. I think the concert is being filmed so I should be able to upload a performance of the Rhapsody to youtube for you to hear :) Thank you very much Ilaria, I appreciate your support. Hope you are well - my depression about Mhairi continues, but at least music is going well! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

bhodges

On Saturday at Carnegie, hearing the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra in a new piece by Salonen - and much looking forward to the rest of the program, too.

Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
Robert Spano, Conductor
Garrick Ohlsson, Piano

Esa-Pekka Salonen: Nyx (NY Premiere)
Scriabin: The Poem of Ecstasy
Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 3

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brewski on October 31, 2011, 10:58:34 AM
On Saturday at Carnegie, hearing the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra in a new piece by Salonen - and much looking forward to the rest of the program, too.

Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
Robert Spano, Conductor
Garrick Ohlsson, Piano

Esa-Pekka Salonen: Nyx (NY Premiere)
Scriabin: The Poem of Ecstasy
Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 3

--Bruce

Very cool program, Bruce!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot