What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjvinthechair

Quote from: knight66 on December 20, 2011, 11:08:29 PM
I was very much looking forward to Andris Nelsons conducting Bruckner's 7th Symphony in Birmingham. I booked the tickets on the back of hearing him live in Bremen a few months ago. A week before the concert I got an E mail to say he had cancelled on the basis his first child was due to be born close to the date. I was not exactly thrilled for him. The likely date would have been established long before I booked my tickets.

Whew - so nearly booked for that ! And was due to go to the Strauss/Rach. programme - not heard Rach. 1 live - but now working in Glasgow (well, someone has to) so must exchange the ticket.
You'll love it - I'm an old cynic, but there's something a little hypnotic about Andris' concerts. Charisma in spades.
I'm now going the 'peaceful' route, and hearing Tallis in manchester on the way North.   Have fun - & Happy Christmas.           Clive.

Clive.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 22, 2011, 06:03:14 AM
Yes, I am sure you must be looking forward to it! Let us know what it was like! :)
Great - glad you enjoyed the Barenboim concert. Is a shame when a certain piece has to be changed.... do you know why there was a strike with the chorus singers? I remember the time when I booked to see Tilson Thomas conduct a piece by Ives, Strauss' Four Last Songs and Strauss' Ein Heldenleben. They had to change the programme, the conductor, and the singer! I am surprised they didn't change the orchestra and venue as well! ;) Tilson Thomas was changed to Sir Colin Davis, instead of the Ives piece, we were given Stravinsky's Symphony in Three Movements, the soprano was changed for the songs, and instead of Ein Heldenleben, we got Beethoven's 6th symphony.... It was a wonderful concert however, but it does get rather frustrating when the change the programme....
hmmm... I seem to have gone on for quite a while about that... sorry! :D

Again, have a wonderful evening with Mahler 2, Ilaria, let me know how it was! :)

Thank you Daniel! What could be better than Barenboim and Pollini together? ;D (Karajan and Ashkenazy, if only!). I'm really happy to be able to see Mahler No.2, I've been waiting for it for months! ;) Dudamel is a very fine conductor, I'm sure he will make a wonderful performance.

Well, from what I've heard, the chorus singers protested against the different economic treatment they received compared with the Filarmonica della Scala; not a good situation.....it has already happened more than one time.

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 22, 2011, 07:05:40 AM
Thank you Daniel! What could be better than Barenboim and Pollini together? ;D (Karajan and Ashkenazy, if only!). I'm really happy to be able to see Mahler No.2, I've been waiting for it for months! ;) Dudamel is a very fine conductor, I'm sure he will make a wonderful performance.

Well, from what I've heard, the chorus singers protested against the different economic treatment they received compared with the Filarmonica della Scala; not a good situation.....it has already happened more than one time.

Karajan and Ashkenazy would certainly be interesting.... :D
Yes, Dudamel is certainly an exciting conductor - and his recent performance of Mahler 2 with the Simon Bolivar orchestra here in London at summer was really brilliant! Enjoy, Ilaria!
Ah, I see - well, hopefully that situation will solve soon! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 22, 2011, 07:05:40 AMDudamel is a very fine conductor, I'm sure he will make a wonderful performance.

I disagree. I think Dudamel is extremely overrated by the classical fan base. I don't think he's that knowledgeable about the music he conducts especially when it comes to the Europeans. He certainly doesn't project much depth in his interpretations of their music. I remember watching his Mahler 1 on PBS a few years ago and I actually laughed. He butchered the first movement, but things picked up after that movement. On the other hand, I do think he has a bright future in Latin American music. I wish he would record more of it. I think it is here where he can give the listener some inside knowledge of the composition since he was born in Venezuela and understands Latin culture and it's music.

I don't want to sound so cynical about Dudamel, but I just think he's been built up by the media as some kind of classical savior, which baffles me because guys like Dudamel get all the attention when conductors like Andrew Litton or Ilan Volkov, just two for example, get ignored and I think they're finer conductors than Dudamel.

Anyway, okay....rant over. :D

knight66

Quote from: cjvinthechair on December 22, 2011, 06:31:22 AM
Quote from: knight66 on December 20, 2011, 11:08:29 PM
Whew - so nearly booked for that ! And was due to go to the Strauss/Rach. programme - not heard Rach. 1 live - but now working in Glasgow (well, someone has to) so must exchange the ticket.
You'll love it - I'm an old cynic, but there's something a little hypnotic about Andris' concerts. Charisma in spades.
I'm now going the 'peaceful' route, and hearing Tallis in manchester on the way North.   Have fun - & Happy Christmas.           Clive.

Now, now then...Glasgow, my home town. Lovely place as long as you can get along with the local behaviours. Mind you, I have no desire to go back to live there, a day or so now and then is fine.

As to Andris' concerts: I can believe it. I work in London a lot, but am travelling from London to Birm to catch him. The Bremen concert was a revelation to me. I then bought a clutch of his discs and they have not been put away, months later they sit on top of the CD player, still being kept handy.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 22, 2011, 08:40:25 AM
Karajan and Ashkenazy would certainly be interesting.... :D
Yes, Dudamel is certainly an exciting conductor - and his recent performance of Mahler 2 with the Simon Bolivar orchestra here in London at summer was really brilliant! Enjoy, Ilaria!
Ah, I see - well, hopefully that situation will solve soon! :)

The concert I saw yesterday was absolutely amazing, I really enjoyed it! Maybe the tempo was sometimes a bit too slow (for example the Andante Moderato sounded more like an Adagio), but in general the performance was very brilliant....powerful, lyrical and passionate ;D

Sorry for the short explanation, I didn't have much time; I'll explain it better now: as I said before, the chorus singers protested against the different economic treatment they received compared with the Filarmonica della Scala; in fact the Filarmonica, which is a private association founded by Claudio Abbado, usually receives two fees, one from the theatre and other from the Associazione della Filarmonica, of which the chorus singers are not part. That's why they struck.
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 23, 2011, 08:25:18 AM
The concert I saw yesterday was absolutely amazing, I really enjoyed it! Maybe the tempo was sometimes a bit too slow (for example the Andante Moderato sounded more like an Adagio), but in general the performance was very brilliant....powerful, lyrical and passionate ;D

Sorry for the short explanation, I didn't have much time; I'll explain it better now: as I said before, the chorus singers protested against the different economic treatment they received compared with the Filarmonica della Scala; in fact the Filarmonica, which is a private association founded by Claudio Abbado, usually receives two fees, one from the theatre and other from the Associazione della Filarmonica, of which the chorus singers are not part. That's why they stroke.

Glad that you enjoyed it Ilaria! I can imagine the final few minutes being absolutely breathtaking to see live... I have not seen Mahler 2 live yet.... it is on my concert wishlist! :D I've got Mahler 3 booked for next year though and hopefully 7 as well.

Thank you for the explanation, I hope the situation sorts out soon!

Have a wonderful evening Ilaria!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

knight66

I thought the Mahler 2 prom with Dudamel was very disappointing. I think he is ultra talented and have hopes he will grow into the pieces he is conducting. The Mahler was very much: loud = fast, quiet = slow. Lots of gear changes and not the sense of architecture I get from my favourite conductors in the piece.

Mike

bhodges

Quote from: knight66 on December 25, 2011, 11:05:30 PM
I thought the Mahler 2 prom with Dudamel was very disappointing. I think he is ultra talented and have hopes he will grow into the pieces he is conducting. The Mahler was very much: loud = fast, quiet = slow. Lots of gear changes and not the sense of architecture I get from my favourite conductors in the piece.

Mike

I can see that...his Mahler 5 a few years ago with the NY Philharmonic was excellent, but I will look forward to hearing him do the piece in say, another ten years.

Meanwhile, speaking of Mahler, I'm hearing this on Saturday night:

New York Philharmonic
Alan Gilbert, conductor

Adès: Polaris (New York Philharmonic co-commission)
Mahler: Symphony No. 9

--Bruce

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Brewski on January 05, 2012, 09:53:18 AM
New York Philharmonic
Alan Gilbert, conductor

Mahler: Symphony No. 9

--Bruce

Am very jealous, Bruce! Always a powerful emotional experience to see Mahler 9 live... I will never forget the time I saw it live... could not speak for almost an hour after the performance had ended!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

bhodges

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 05, 2012, 09:57:10 AM
Am very jealous, Bruce! Always a powerful emotional experience to see Mahler 9 live... I will never forget the time I saw it live... could not speak for almost an hour after the performance had ended!

Yes, it is a very intense piece, and a great performance can summon up strong reactions. You will hear it again, I am sure!  :D I don't think I heard it live until I was in my 30's, and you have decades of listening ahead of you.

That said, I like Alan Gilbert's work with the Philharmonic a lot so far, but his Mahler has been getting mixed reviews. Gilbert is a really intelligent musician, and usually elicits lots of commitment from the players, but some seem to think he's a little cool in these symphonies. I don't quite agree; he brings a calmer approach - not as neurotic as some - and there's certainly a place for cooler interpretations of these pieces (e.g., Boulez).

--Bruce 

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Spring season of the Oulu Symphony Orchestra, looks splendid

Diploma concert:
Aino Koskela, cond.
Paula Malmivaara, oboe

von Weber:  Oberon overture
R Strauss: Oboe Concerto in D major
Ibert: Bacchanale
Janáček: Taras Bulba

Leo McFall, cond.
Minna Pensola, violin
Tomas Djupsjöbacka, cello    (both from the quartet Meta4)

Brahms: Double Concerto
Dvořak: 6th Symphony

Juha Kangas, cond.
Jussi Myllys, tenor

Schnittke: Moz-Art à la Haydn
Vasks: Epifania
Mozart: opera arias
Haydn: Symphony no. 104

Jin Wang, cond.
Trey Lee, cello

Mjaskovski: Cello Concerto in C minor
Prokofjev: 5th Symphony

Jaakko Kuusisto, cond.
Hansjörg Albrecht, organ

JS Bach: Orchestral Suite no. 3, BWV 1068
Haydn: Organ Concerto in C major
Beethoven: 1st Symphony

22.3., 23.3.
Jaakko Kuusisto conducts

Uuno Klami – Kalevi Aho: Pyörteitä (Vortexes) ballet with coreography by Alpo Aaltokoski, based on the myth of the forging of the Sampo, in Kalevala

Anna-Maria Helsing, cond.
Jörgen van Rijen, trombone

Kalevi Aho: Trombone Concerto (Finland premiere)
Tšaikovski: 4th Symphony

Anna-Kristiina Kaappola, soprano

Górecki: Symphony no 3, 'Sorrowful Songs'

Johannes Gustavsson, cond.
Kristina Hansson, soprano
Jakob Högström, baritone

Grieg: Peer Gynt
Nielsen: Symphony no. 3, "Espansiva"

Riina Seebeck, cello

Mozart: The Abduction from the Seraglio: Overture
Lalo: Cello Concerto in Dm
Rimski-Korsakov: Sheherazade

Alina Pogostkina, violin

Brahms: Violin Concerto
Beethoven: 7th Symphony
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

knight66

Bruce, I have never heard the Mahler 9 live. Not sure how this has happened. It is such a magnificant piece. The first movement can literally have me groaning, I don't know any other piece that prompts this reaction. Perhaps I had better stay away from the live experience in case someone calls a doctor!

Mike

JerryS

Opening of the San Antonio Beethoven Festival tonight. Cellist Ken Freudigman and pianist Kristin Roach perform the Cello Sonatas Nos. 1, 3, and 4 and the Judas Maccabeus variations. They will complete the Beethoven works for solo cello Sunday afternoon.

Saturday night we have the first installment of the 32 piano sonatas in a concert by Jeffrey Swann. I'm looking forward to hearing the Hammerklavier sonata in Swann's hands!
Jerry

bhodges

Quote from: knight66 on January 06, 2012, 01:23:20 AM
Bruce, I have never heard the Mahler 9 live. Not sure how this has happened. It is such a magnificant piece. The first movement can literally have me groaning, I don't know any other piece that prompts this reaction. Perhaps I had better stay away from the live experience in case someone calls a doctor!

Mike

Wha--??  :o  That is quite an admission, given your Mahler history. And that sublime first movement...I'm not surprised it causes a physical reaction.

We must fix this straight away! So if you catch a plane within the next few hours, you can arrive here tomorrow in plenty of time for the concert. (I'll make sure we have a large woolen scarf in which to wrap your head, to avoid summoning a doctor.)  ;D

--Bruce

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Brewski on January 05, 2012, 10:14:52 AM
Yes, it is a very intense piece, and a great performance can summon up strong reactions. You will hear it again, I am sure!  :D I don't think I heard it live until I was in my 30's, and you have decades of listening ahead of you.

That said, I like Alan Gilbert's work with the Philharmonic a lot so far, but his Mahler has been getting mixed reviews. Gilbert is a really intelligent musician, and usually elicits lots of commitment from the players, but some seem to think he's a little cool in these symphonies. I don't quite agree; he brings a calmer approach - not as neurotic as some - and there's certainly a place for cooler interpretations of these pieces (e.g., Boulez).

--Bruce

I certainly look forward to seeing it again! :) I might try and see it once a year.... or maybe I'll try and see 6 one year, and 9 the next, then continue on a schedule like that. ;)

Yes, I think Gilbert is doing great work with the NYP, and he certainly is brave doing a lot of Mahler with them, considering the orchestra's history - Mahler and Bernstein as conductors etc! I haven't really heard much of Gilbert's Mahler yet, although there is a recording of his 9 that I have my eye on...

Quote from: knight66 on January 06, 2012, 01:23:20 AM

Mike
Quote from: Brewski on January 06, 2012, 08:12:24 AM
Wha--??  :o  That is quite an admission, given your Mahler history. And that sublime first movement...I'm not surprised it causes a physical reaction.

We must fix this straight away! So if you catch a plane within the next few hours, you can arrive here tomorrow in plenty of time for the concert. (I'll make sure we have a large woolen scarf in which to wrap your head, to avoid summoning a doctor.)  ;D

--Bruce

hehe, can I come too? ;) You'd probably have to find a doctor for me as well, the last time I saw Mahler 9 live, I was crying throughout nearly all of the finale!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

stingo

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 05, 2012, 09:57:10 AM

Indeed - I heard it played for Keith Lockhart's last concert as music director of the Utah Symphony. Simply amazing.

bhodges

Quote from: stingo on January 06, 2012, 01:53:16 PM
Indeed - I heard it played for Keith Lockhart's last concert as music director of the Utah Symphony. Simply amazing.

Now that sounds like a great way to make an exit!

--Bruce

knight66

Quote from: Brewski on January 06, 2012, 08:12:24 AM

--Bruce

Dash it Bruce.....I read this just too late to turn up. We will have to find another opportunity. I am tapping away at this as I listen to the opening movement of the Mahler 9 conducted by Klemperer. The sun is streaming through the window and I can just hear the river outside going down the race.

Mike