What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tancata

In some ways, this doesn't look too hopeful. But...

It's a Handel opera! In Dublin!

Handel - Orlando

September 29th, 2007 - The Helix theatre, Dublin

Directed by Annilese Miskimmon
Conductor Christian Curnyn (who?  8))

Sung in English  >:( >:( :o >:( :-X

No details as yet about the singers... hmmm ..... And yet, I booked two tickets already...

orbital

Not a concert, but I found an invitation for this play in my mailbox. For those in and around NYC, it may be interesting.
http://www.mvdaily.com/news/item.cgi?id=301230

Opus
A world-renowned string quartet struggles to prepare for its highest-profile performance ever, when the violist and founder of the quartet mysteriously disappears. When a young woman is hired as a replacement, her musical gifts inspire the musicians, and they decide at short notice to abandon their friendly Pachelbel Canon program and replace it with Beethoven's difficult Opus 131. The rehearsal room becomes a pressure cooker as passions rise, personalites clash and the musicians are forced to tackle the ephemeral nature of their life's work.

Primary Stages presents the play Opus by Michael Hollinger, 24 July until 1 September 2007 in New York, USA.

Information: primarystages.com

Lilas Pastia

I missed Olivier Latry yesterday. It was so darn gorgeous a day that i decided for a bike ride instead of sitting on a wood bench for 2 hours. Oh, well: I'll read the review in today's paper.

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on July 12, 2007, 04:11:03 PM
Next Friday 20th July I'm off to this:

NZSO

MENDELSSOHN Violin Concerto
SIBELIUS En Saga
SIBELIUS Symphony No 5

FEATURED ARTISTS
PIETARI INKINEN Conductor
LEILA JOSEFOWICZ Violin

PERFORMANCE INFO
The Violin Concerto cost Mendelssohn more time than its effortless spontaneity would suggest. Sibelius's En Saga, a tone-poem without a programme, features inspired Sibelian national-Romanticism and his unerring mastery of the orchestra.  Repeated patterns (ostinati) abound, preparing us for the logic and taut organisation of the Fifth Symphony, with its sweeping power and energy.  Begun in the dark days of World War One, it was revised as the Russian Revolution was just about to embroil Finland in civil war.

Should be good :)

Wonderful concert last night  :)

En Saga was powerful in its majestic sweep of conveying oceans and storms. The 'build' was superb and the dimenuendo glorious; some twit clapped VERY loudly before the conductors arms came to rest at his side and literally startled the conductor ::)

LEILA JOSEFOWICZ was amazing performing Mendelsshons violin concerto. She was expressive both with her virtuoso playing and her facial expressions and body movements; quite an exceptional talent.

Sibelius' #5 followed the break and was suitably impressive with the way it develops from fragments of ideas into full blown themes. The conclusion of the recapitulation of the first movement was stunning as were the six chords that conclude the symphony.

All in all another great night with the NZSO :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

bhodges

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on July 20, 2007, 02:49:30 PM
En Saga was powerful in its majestic sweep of conveying oceans and storms. The 'build' was superb and the dimenuendo glorious; some twit clapped VERY loudly before the conductors arms came to rest at his side and literally startled the conductor ::)

Some twit indeed.  Sometimes people are too eager to applaud after quiet endings, when a little silence would only enhance the experience.

But never mind...sounds like a terrific concert.  :D 

--Bruce

bhodges

This Saturday, a sold-out concert I've been looking forward to for months, part of the International Keyboard Institute & Festival, held every year at Mannes College of Music.

Marc-André Hamelin  

Haydn: Sonata in F major, Hob. XVI: 23
Haydn: Sonata in B flat major, Hob. XVI: 41
Alexis Weissenberg: Sonate en état de jazz (Sonata in a state of jazz)  (1982)
Chopin: Barcarolle, op. 60
Chopin: Third Ballade, op. 47
Hamelin: Etude no. 8 -- 'Erlkoenig' (after Goethe) (2007) (New York Premiere)
Hamelin: Etude no. 7 (2006)
Leopold Godowsky: Symphonic Metamorphoses on Johann Strauss' 'Wine, Women and Song'

I'm most looking forward to the Weissenberg (a friend actually knows this piece), the two Etudes, the Godowsky and (hopefully) an encore or two. 

--Bruce

Florestan

If you happen to be in Bucharest in September there are quite a lot of interesting concerts in the "George Enescu" International Festival.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

bhodges

Quote from: Florestan on July 24, 2007, 06:45:21 AM
If you happen to be in Bucharest in September there are quite a lot of interesting concerts in the "George Enescu" International Festival.

That's a great line-up!  I wasn't familiar with this, and aside from all the Enescu, there is a huge amount of Romanian contemporary music.  And delights like Gergiev and Rotterdam... :D

--Bruce

Lilas Pastia

Mr. B,  I'll be holding my breath until you report on the Hamelin recital! Just a look at the program makes the mouth water! Of course it helps that it contains what is for me the most beautiful piano piece ever (not hard to guess, I suppose ;))

bhodges

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on July 24, 2007, 07:00:58 PM
Mr. B,  I'll be holding my breath until you report on the Hamelin recital! Just a look at the program makes the mouth water! Of course it helps that it contains what is for me the most beautiful piano piece ever (not hard to guess, I suppose ;))

Hm..."the most beautiful piano piece ever"...you mean, the Godowsky;D

In any case, I will certainly report on it!

--Bruce

bobby quine

August 4th, Monteverdi's L'Orfeo at the Drottningholms Slottsteater (built in 1766)

August 24th, Mahler and Sibelius with Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting the Gothenburg SO

September 8, Emerson SQ performing Beethoven Quartet op 18:4, Webern, Saariaho and Beethoven op 135

...and of course, September 30th, Beethoven's 8th and Strauss' Eine Alpensinfonie with Dudamel conducting the Gothenburg SO!

Mozart

My first concert

JACOB'S MASTERWORKS #1
Oct 5th & Oct 7th
Lehar: Gold and Silver Waltz
Brahms: Violin Concerto
Beethoven: Symphony No. 6, Pastoral

What a thrill!

and number 2 right here for sure

JACOB'S MASTERWORKS #5
Nov 16th, Nov 17th & Nov 18th
Webern: Im Sommerwind
Mozart: Clarinet Concerto
Schubert: Symphony No. 8 (Unfinished)
Hindemith: Symphonic Metamorphosis

Omg what a season so far

JACOB'S MASTERWORKS #6
Dec 7th, Dec 8th & Dec 9th
Beethoven: Symphony No. 9

Are you kidding me?

SPECIAL: ONE NIGHT ONLY: Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with San Diego Symphony
Jan 24th
Weber: Oberon, Overture
Beethoven: Concerto for Violin and Orchestra
Beethoven: Symphony No. 7

JACOB'S MASTERWORKS #11
Mar 29th
Shostakovich: Festive Overture
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5, Emperor
Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra

I love it!

But theres not much else, too little Mozart. And lots of russian crap in between those.

Mark

Looking forward to this evening: Mozart's The Magic Flute (in English) at London's Barbican Centre.

Mozart

Quote from: Mark on July 26, 2007, 03:13:26 AM
Looking forward to this evening: Mozart's The Magic Flute (in English) at London's Barbican Centre.

Nice!

An evil man tried to molest me  :) Haha try to hold a straight face if that line should come up.

Steve

The September Gala at the CSO, of course. Muti conducting; featuring Tchaikovsky's 6th.

Steve

Quote from: Mozart on July 26, 2007, 03:15:02 AM
Nice!

An evil man tried to molest me  :) Haha try to hold a straight face if that line should come up.

What?  ???

Mozart

Quote from: Steve on July 26, 2007, 01:02:40 PM
What?  ???

Its from the Mackeras cd. I crack up everytime at the end of act 1 pamina sings an evillll mannn tried to molleesttt mee. Its hilarious.

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Mark on July 26, 2007, 03:13:26 AM

Looking forward to your report Mark :)

The Magic Flute was my first opera last year [in German] but I'd learnt it in English. :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Iago

Going to Los Angeles on Tuesday to visit my cardiologist (just routine).
Noticed that MTT is conducting the LA Philharmonic in the Beethoven Ninth that night. So I think I'll stick around LA for that.
Trouble of course is, it's at the Hollywood Bowl and not Disney Hall.
And for those you that have never visited the Hollywood Bowl I might tell you that it's in a lovely setting, but the amplification system is just slightly better than atrocious, access roads and parking are almost non-existent and you just might be seated near crying babies.
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

Steve

Quote from: Mozart on July 26, 2007, 03:29:35 PM

Its from the Mackeras cd. I crack up everytime at the end of act 1 pamina sings an evillll mannn tried to molleesttt mee. Its hilarious.

Alright, then...  ::)