What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: Velimir on March 13, 2012, 01:55:16 AM
Coming up on the 24th: one of Moscow's numerous orchestras whose names I can't quite get straight (it's named after Svetlanov) in the following program:

Webern: Passacaglia
Berg: Violin Concerto
Beethoven: Symphony #3 "Eroica" (in Mahler edition)

Vladimir Jurowski, conductor
Renaud Capuçon, violin

Especially looking forward to the Webern and Berg. But what is this "Eroica" edited by Mahler?

Looks like a fascinating program (and I am not aware of the Mahler version, either).

Tomorrow night, looking forward to another contemporary music group, Hotel Elefant, making its debut:

Hotel Elefant
DiMenna Center
8:00pm

Inaugural Concert with works by
David T. Little
Chinary Ung
Peter Bussigel
Leaha Maria Villarreal
Mary Kouyoumdjian

http://hotelelefant.org/

--Bruce

owlice

Quote from: Velimir on March 13, 2012, 01:55:16 AM
But what is this "Eroica" edited by Mahler?

Four times the usual brass and timpani.

madaboutmahler

Our school's spring concert tommorow!
And I am in pretty much every group that will be performing...
On Cello: Orchestra, String Group, 'Sleeping Beauty Strings' (playing a Waltz from the ballet)
Singing: Choir, Men's Choir
Cowbelling: Glee Club  :o  ;)

And also, I am playing the Chopin C Minor Nocturne again. :)

Looking forward to it! :) I love our school's music department, such great, fun, happiness!

And on Saturday, at the Academy the term's concert:
Adams Short Ride in a Fast Machine
Barber Adagio for Strings
Saint Saens Violin Concerto no.3 1st mov. (my colleague and friend, Laure, as the soloist)
Elgar Symphony no.1

Very excited. I have been going to watch the rehearsals every week, luckily the rehearsals take place during my lunch break at the Academy! Good timing! :D
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 15, 2012, 02:08:48 PM

Let's hope Christopher Walken isn't in the audience. You'll never satisfy him  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

madaboutmahler

— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 15, 2012, 02:08:48 PM
Our school's spring concert tommorow!
And I am in pretty much every group that will be performing...
On Cello: Orchestra, String Group, 'Sleeping Beauty Strings' (playing a Waltz from the ballet)
Singing: Choir, Men's Choir

And also, I am playing the Chopin C Minor Nocturne again. :)

Looking forward to it! :) I love our school's music department, such great, fun, happiness!

And on Saturday, at the Academy the term's concert:
Adams Short Ride in a Fast Machine
Barber Adagio for Strings
Saint Saens Violin Concerto no.3 1st mov. (my colleague and friend, Laure, as the soloist)
Elgar Symphony no.1

Very excited. I have been going to watch the rehearsals every week, luckily the rehearsals take place during my lunch break at the Academy! Good timing! :D

School concert went so well! Loved it! Had such a brilliant time. Despite being so nervous before, I was so incredibly happy with how my performance of the Chopin C Minor Nocturne went, I think it may have been my personal favourite performance that I have given of it. I was so happy to also recieve so much praise from the audience, my fellow students and friends and teachers! :) Our school music department is going to have a bit of a rest now, but soon after Easter I shall be starting my chamber orchestra! :)

The concert at the academy today was brilliant. The orchestra did an absolutely amazing job, I loved watching many of my colleagues playing in it! :) Looking forward to seeing what their next programme is... Mahler would be good! ;) Might find out next week when I go along to the rehearsals. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

owlice

Tonight, the tall child and I heard:
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
Jirí Belohlávek, conductor
Shai Wosner, piano
Dvorák Carnival Overture
Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 4
Kodály Dances of Galánta
Janácek Taras Bulba

And excellent it was, too!

On Sunday, I'll be attending this:
Murray Perahia
Bach French Suite No. 5 in G Major, BWV 816
Beethoven Sonata No. 27 in E minor, Op. 90
Brahms Klavierstücke, Op. 119
Schubert Sonata in A Major, D.664
Chopin Polonaise in C-sharp minor, Op. 26
Chopin Prelude No. 8 in F-sharp minor, Op. 28
Chopin Mazurka No. 4 C-sharp minor, Op. 30
Chopin Scherzo No. 3 in C-sharp minor, Op. 39

vandermolen

I'm hoping to see Jurowski conduct Vaughan Williams's Symphony No 6 (with Prokofiev Symphony 5) in London in October this year.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

North Star

Tonight:
Uuno Klami, Kalevi Aho - Pyörteitä (Whirls)
Coreography: Alpo Aaltokoski
Jaakko Kuusisto & Oulu Symphony
Premiere performance, with Aho in the audience (my dad chatted with him during an intermission)

Aho's completion of Klami's ballet, which Klami didn't get to finish before his death in 1961. Aho composed much of the last of the three parts, and did some orchestration to the first part.
It is based on Kalevala, and more specifically, the forging of the Sampo.
Excellent music, in a style that is something like a mix of Stravinsky, Ravel & Sibelius.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

madaboutmahler

Hope you enjoy it, Karlo! Certainly sounds interesting.

Tommorow, I shall be performing in a concert! (I am the percussionist for the orchestra)

It is a concerto evening, where members of the orchestra are invited to perform the solo parts. Only one of the movements though...
Concerto movements by Bruch, Vaughan Williams, Weber and finally, the one I am in, Debussy! (the Saxophone Rhapsody!) Great fun! :)

Really looking forward to it!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

North Star

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 22, 2012, 01:54:37 PM
Hope you enjoy it, Karlo! Certainly sounds interesting.

Tommorow, I shall be performing in a concert! (I am the percussionist for the orchestra)

It is a concerto evening, where members of the orchestra are invited to perform the solo parts. Only one of the movements though...
Concerto movements by Bruch, Vaughan Williams, Weber and finally, the one I am in, Debussy! (the Saxophone Rhapsody!) Great fun! :)

Really looking forward to it!

I certainly did enjoy it. Hopefully there will be a recording of the completion
(there is a recording of the unfinished work http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whirls-Vanska-Ruuttunen-Uuno-Klami/dp/B000025UTP/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1332454861&sr=1-1)

The concert on Friday sounds fun, indeed.

My photographs on Flickr

cjvinthechair

Excuse for a few concerts on the way up to Glasgow to work over Easter - a wallow in Saint-Saens Organ Symphony in Birmingham on Apr. 1st, (does Oliver count on the 3rd...he could certainly write a tune, that Mr. Bart ?), Part & Tavener in Manchester Cathedral on the 4th, & S'kovitch/Prokofiev in City Halls Glasgow on the 5th.
Should be relaxed & ready to work after that lot, & it breaks up a 400+ mile drive wonderfully !

Sorry, Daniel, no Mahler - did like the sound of your recent (& forthcoming) concerts, though. Just envious really; would love to have been able to make a life in music !
Clive.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: cjvinthechair on March 27, 2012, 02:23:56 AM
Excuse for a few concerts on the way up to Glasgow to work over Easter - a wallow in Saint-Saens Organ Symphony in Birmingham on Apr. 1st, (does Oliver count on the 3rd...he could certainly write a tune, that Mr. Bart ?), Part & Tavener in Manchester Cathedral on the 4th, & S'kovitch/Prokofiev in City Halls Glasgow on the 5th.
Should be relaxed & ready to work after that lot, & it breaks up a 400+ mile drive wonderfully !

Sorry, Daniel, no Mahler - did like the sound of your recent (& forthcoming) concerts, though. Just envious really; would love to have been able to make a life in music !

haha - don't worry! ;) The concerts you saw sounded brilliant too. I have not seen it live myself yet, but I can imagine the Saint Saens Organ Symphony being a great piece to see live.
Thank you! :)

The Watford Youth Orchestra concert went really well last Friday! The Debussy was so much fun to play! I handled all three of the tambourine, triangle and cymbal parts! ;) Next in the orchestra, we will be playing Scheherezade, Smetana Vltava, and a modern trumpet concerto... CAN'T WAIT! :D
— Ludwig van Beethoven

bhodges

In about three hours at Carnegie Hall:

San Francisco Symphony
Michael Tilson Thomas, Music Director and Conductor
Emanuel Ax, Piano

Ruggles: Sun-Treader
Feldman: Piano and Orchestra
Ives: A Concord Symphony (orch. Brant)

--Bruce

North Star

In 8 hours:

Anna-Maria Helsing & Oulu Symphony Orchestra
Jörgen van Rijen trombone

Aho: Trombone concerto (Finland premiere)
Tšaikovski: Symphony no 4

My photographs on Flickr

bhodges

Quote from: North Star on March 29, 2012, 12:15:40 AM
In 8 hours:

Anna-Maria Helsing & Oulu Symphony Orchestra
Jörgen van Rijen trombone

Aho: Trombone concerto (Finland premiere)
Tšaikovski: Symphony no 4

How was the concert - especially the Aho? I like what I've heard of his music, but no one in the U.S. really plays him much except Osmo Vänskä (and the Minnesota Orchestra).

Tonight, the final "American Mavericks" concert at Carnegie:

Michael Tilson Thomas, Host
Jeffrey Milarsky, Conductor
Meredith Monk & Vocal Ensemble, Vocalists
Joan La Barbara, Vocalist
Jeremy Denk, Piano
Jesse Stiles, Electronics
San Francisco Symphony
Michael Tilson Thomas, Music Director and Conductor

Steve Reich: Music for Pieces of Wood
Meredith Monk: Realm Variations (NY Premiere)
Lukas Foss: Echoi
Morton Subotnick: Jacob's Room: Monodrama (NY Premiere)

--Bruce

North Star

Quote from: Brewski on March 30, 2012, 10:41:21 AM
How was the concert - especially the Aho? I like what I've heard of his music, but no one in the U.S. really plays him much except Osmo Vänskä (and the Minnesota Orchestra).

The Aho concerto was very nice, both the soloist and the orchestra (brass, woodwind, strings, percussion) had good material. Lots of sordinos, though not gimmicky at all, and some complex rhythms.

Decent performance of Pjotr, too.

Vänskä has indeed performed Aho's music often, and recorded some CD's  worth of it with Lahti SO.

My photographs on Flickr