What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Two great concerts in the next two weeks! What a wonderful Easter I have! :D

The first one... tonight:

Mahler Symphony no.3
London Symphony Orchestra/Bychkov

at the Barbican.

Very very very very excited! Tonight will be the first time I have seen M3 live, and seeing Mahler live is always absolutely amazing...
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 01, 2012, 06:19:24 AM

Mahler Symphony no.3

at the Barbican.

Very very very very excited! Tonight will be the first time I have seen M3 live, and seeing Mahler live is always absolutely amazing...

What a wonderful concert it is! :o :-X I'm very, very jealous!!
Enjoy Mahler, Daniel :)
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 01, 2012, 07:04:36 AM
What a wonderful concert it is! :o :-X I'm very, very jealous!!
Enjoy Mahler, Daniel :)

Thank you, Ilaria! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 01, 2012, 06:19:24 AM

Mahler Symphony no.3

at the Barbican.

The concert yesterday was absolutely amazing. A very moving performance from Bychkov and the LSO. And yes, as you can imagine, tears were brought to my eyes in the last movement... it is just so heavenly! Seeing it live is such a spiritual, beautiful experience! :)  0:)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Drasko

On Friday, if I can make it:

all Prokofiev night

- The Love for Three Oranges Suite
- Violin Concerto No.2
- Alexander Nevsky Cantata

Boris Belkin (violin)
the name of the mezzo escapes me now
Obilic Chorus, Belgrade Philharmonic
Muhai Tang (conducting)

bhodges

Just confirmed for Janáček's The Makropulos Case at the Met, starring Karita Mattila, with Jiří Bělohlávek conducting--very excited since I don't really know the piece.

--Bruce

North Star

Tonight:
Anna-Maria Helsing & Oulu SO
Anna-Kristiina Kaappola, soprano

Henryk Górecki
: Symfonia pieśni żałosnych

An excellent performance, Kaappola and the orchestra were both very good. And the piece is quite nice, too.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

knight66

Next week, Dream of Gerontius in Birmingham conducted by Andris Nelsons: Into my e mail in-box popps yet again, a cancellation by the conductor. No doubt a good reason, but the second tim eout of the last tfour tickets I have bought to his concerts. So, disappointment right now despite the credentials of the substitute.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: knight66 on April 04, 2012, 09:54:33 PM
Next week, Dream of Gerontius in Birmingham conducted by Andris Nelsons: Into my e mail in-box popps yet again, a cancellation by the conductor. No doubt a good reason, but the second tim eout of the last tfour tickets I have bought to his concerts. So, disappointment right now despite the credentials of the substitute.

Mike

Oh dear.... sorry to hear this, Mike. As far as I know, fortunately, Nelsons has not cancelled out of the London performance I am seeing on the 14th... hoping it will stay that way! Do you know who the other substitute conductor is yet?
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Papy Oli

I posted the below when I bought the tickets 4 months ago...and now it's Tomorrow, Saturday and next Friday.... needless to say I am quite excited !!!  ;D

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 05, 2011, 11:30:26 AM
And a couple more bookings for April :

Britten–Pears Orchestra and Soloists
Aldeburgh Voices · London Voices
Ben Parry music director
Antonello Manacorda conductor

Schoenberg - Friede auf Erden
Beethoven - Symphony No.9

-------------

Elisabeth Leonskaja piano

Beethoven - Piano Sonata in E Op.109; Piano Sonata in A flat Op.110; Piano Sonata in C minor Op.111

------------

English Touring Opera: The Barber of Seville
Thomas Guthrie director
Paul McGrath conductor

Rossini - The Barber of Seville (in English)

1st live Beethoven symphony, 1st live Beethoven sonatas and for good measure 1st live Opera too.... ;D
Olivier

bhodges

Quote from: knight66 on April 04, 2012, 09:54:33 PM

Mike

Mike (and Daniel), you may have heard already, but Nelsons' newborn child is apparently having serious health issues:

http://classical-iconoclast.blogspot.com/2012/03/andris-nelsons-baby-crisis.html

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 05, 2012, 10:41:26 AM
I posted the below when I bought the tickets 4 months ago...and now it's Tomorrow, Saturday and next Friday.... needless to say I am quite excited !!!  ;D

And Olivier, have a terrific time. All of those pieces are great live--you probably won't be able to sleep after the Beethoven 9th. ;D

--Bruce

knight66

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 05, 2012, 03:00:05 AM
Oh dear.... sorry to hear this, Mike. As far as I know, fortunately, Nelsons has not cancelled out of the London performance I am seeing on the 14th... hoping it will stay that way! Do you know who the other substitute conductor is yet?

It is Edward Gardiner, no slouch. They probably would not find a better substitute.

Mike

knight66

Quote from: Brewski on April 05, 2012, 11:09:06 AM
Mike (and Daniel), you may have heard already, but Nelsons' newborn child is apparently having serious health issues:

http://classical-iconoclast.blogspot.com/2012/03/andris-nelsons-baby-crisis.html

And Olivier, have a terrific time. All of those pieces are great live--you probably won't be able to sleep after the Beethoven 9th. ;D

--Bruce

Yes, the last cancellation was for the impending birth. Fingers crossed.

Mike

madaboutmahler

Oh dear... this is really upsetting to hear. I'm sure all of us here on GMG will join to send our best wishes to Andris Nelsons and his newborn child.

Quote from: knight66 on April 05, 2012, 11:30:02 AM
It is Edward Gardiner, no slouch. They probably would not find a better substitute.

Mike

Well, it will certainly still be a great concert then, Edward Gardiner is excellent. I have seen him live before, conducting Shosty 5, and was very impressed!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

knight66

After posting I mused a bit on a number of great misses in terms of cancellations.

Bryn Terfel: cancelled twice in a row I had booked for and that made me wary of booking him again, though I got over it and did.

Monserrat Caballe: that was an Edinburgh Festival occasion and she cancelled about two hours before the concert. Luckily as there were so many musicians around Emannual Ax and Yo Yo Ma stepped in and provided a really great concert, like friends playing just for the enjoyment.

When in choir a number of near misses occurred over the years. Bernstein died about 10 months before he was due to conduct us, Kubelik was ill Previn had an ear infection, Reginald Goodall was going to do the Beethoven 9th but died about six months or so before the concert.

Then there were the people who ought to have cancelled, but turned up. But that is another story.

Mike

Papy Oli

QuoteBritten–Pears Orchestra and Soloists
Aldeburgh Voices · London Voices
Ben Parry music director
Antonello Manacorda conductor

Schoenberg - Friede auf Erden
Beethoven - Symphony No.9

Good heavens. The thunderous first two movements, the gorgeous adagio, the build-up in the Presto, the "O Freunde" entrance, the choir.... Mind blown.   :D

It was "only" the Britten-Pears Orchestra i.e. the students in residence in Snape plus members of other youth orchestras, but the playing was passionate, tight and full of nuances. Heard lots of details I never heard on the recordings or not paid attention to before. Raucous applause and ovation at the end, thoroughly deserved.

i'll need to find a good recording of the Schoenberg's Friede of Erden - the choir parts seemed very intricate - I must explore that one further.

--Bruce

see what you meant !!  ;D
Olivier

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 05, 2011, 11:30:26 AM
Ben Parry music director

Sounds like a great experience, Olivier!
Ben Parry is the principal of the JD of the Royal Academy of Music where I study! He sometimes conducts our morning choir! :D
Very nice person, I had my annual assessment with him a few weeks ago and we ended up talking about Mahler for half the time! ;D

Glad you enjoyed it, Olivier!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Papy Oli

There was an extra man who joined the conductor and the soloists back on stage at the end, I assume it could have been him. 

There was an article in the East Anglian Daily Times this morning (written before the concert - not showing on their website yet) about the orchestra itself. Not only it was the resident students of the Britten Pears Orchestra, but they were joined also by many music students from youth orchestras across the world (I count at least 25 nationalities from a quick look at the participants list). Many of them are also part the Aldeburgh World Orchestra project that Aldeburgh Music have on for this Olympic year.

http://www.aldeburgh.co.uk/bpp/awo

I see them again in July for Mahler's 10th's Adagio and Shosta's 5th. If yesterday's performance is anything to go by, it will be a blast too !!  :D
Olivier

jlaurson

Ionarts-at-Large: David Fray on a Day in D-Minor

Quotecomplauding [kuhm-plawd-ing]
Gerund
1. The contemporaneous grumbling and praise of the presence of Haydn on a concert program, but performed as the first piece, thereby subliminally or overtly suggesting that Haydn is 'nice', but 'not really that important'. When of course he is that important. And more.

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/04/ionarts-at-large-david-fray-on-day-in-d.html[/url]

Kontrapunctus

The Arditti SQ on April 12th in San Francisco:

BEETHOVEN: Grosse Fuge, Op. 133
BERG: String Quartet, Op. 3
ADÈS: Four Quarters
BARTÓK: String Quartet No. 4 in C Major

A rather tame program for them!