What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: jlaurson on August 31, 2012, 08:55:34 AM
The got very young under Abbado... who, esp. in retrospect, was really as good a 'place holder' as one could possibly have gotten, after the ueber-conductor (from a Berliner-p.o.v, not that they didn't dislike a good deal him toward the end) HvK.

Yes, totally agree.

Quote from: jlaurson on August 31, 2012, 08:55:34 AMThe S'burg performance of the Brahms PC (B-flat) with Bronfman was a bit lukewarm (and not as together as one can expect from them), but the Lutoslawski Third Symphony was very well done.

Would have liked that program, too - especially the Luto, which still seems very much off the radar for American orchestras.

--Bruce

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Brewski on August 31, 2012, 08:13:49 AM
That's a very generous evening, and a great line-up. The Ligeti is fabulous live; you can see (for example) the wind and brass players blowing air (no pitch) through their instruments - such a beautiful piece.

Who was conducting - Rattle? I do think he's transformed the group in a good way. As much as I liked Karajan, the sound of the ensemble now seems more versatile, changing from piece to piece. And the group is filled with terrific younger players, too, who seem more excited by some of the newer works Rattle champions.

--Bruce
Certainly was, Bruce! It was such an incredible concert. :) I completely agree, what a beautiful piece the Ligeti is. And I loved how Rattle decided to allow that to lead straight into the Wagner. Worked extremely well.  0:)
Yes, sorry for not mentioning before, it was Rattle conducting. I agree, I think he is doing wonderful things with the orchestra. I certainly believe it as the greatest in the world! :)

"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

From the BBC Proms, this evening:

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No.6

Riccardo Chailly
Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mdgy4
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

I'll be at that one, Ilaria! It's my last Prom of the season. :)

The programme:
Messiaen: Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum
interval
Mahler 6

Gewandhaus/Chailly

Am very excited! This will be my 3rd live Mahler 6, last year I saw Maazel and Bychkov, it's always such an amazing piece to see live! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 02, 2012, 04:06:51 AM

The programme:
interval
Mahler 6

Gewandhaus/Chailly

Am very excited! This will be my 3rd live Mahler 6, last year I saw Maazel and Bychkov, it's always such an amazing piece to see live! :)

How great, enjoy the concert, Daniel! :) I've focused the attention on Mahler No.6, but there will be Messiaen's Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum too. Can't wait to listen to them! :)

What a nice coincidence, the ticket for Abbado's Mahler 6 will be finally available tomorrow......
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 02, 2012, 04:24:44 AM
How great, enjoy the concert, Daniel! :) I've focused the attention on Mahler No.6, but there will be Messiaen's Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum too. Can't wait to listen to them! :)

What a nice coincidence, the ticket for Abbado's Mahler 6 will be finally available tomorrow......

Thank you very much, Ilaria! I hope you enjoy listening to it too! Yes - I don't really know the Messiaen but am fascinated with his music. As I may have mentioned, I have become rather obsessed with the Turangulina Symphony recently after seeing our wonderful National Youth Orchestra perform it at the Proms a few weeks ago. So, I am very interested to see more of his music! Apparently this piece is well known for the size of the tam tam used! ;D  8)
That's great! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 02, 2012, 05:11:20 AM
Thank you very much, Ilaria! I hope you enjoy listening to it too! Yes - I don't really know the Messiaen but am fascinated with his music. As I may have mentioned, I have become rather obsessed with the Turangulina Symphony recently after seeing our wonderful National Youth Orchestra perform it at the Proms a few weeks ago. So, I am very interested to see more of his music! Apparently this piece is well known for the size of the tam tam used! ;D  8)
That's great! :)

Thank you, hope it will be a great performance! :)
I'm really keen to listen to more as well, especially because I don't know Messiaen's music very much, apart from Réveil des Oiseaux and Turangulina Symphony. Haha, really? That's excellent, I'm always fascinated by the use of percussion in the orchestration.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 02, 2012, 04:06:51 AM

The programme:
interval
Mahler 6

Gewandhaus/Chailly

I'd have to say that this concert was one of the greatest I have ever been to. It really was absolutely outstanding. I really enjoyed the Messiaen, what a fascinating piece! I enjoyed it even more as I was sitting right next to the 3 tam tams!!!!! Chailly's performance of Mahler 6 was absolutely incredible. It couldn't have been more different from his recording with the RCO all those years ago. Chailly employed some of the fastest tempi I have ever heard in this symphony. It was such a powerful, passionate, beautiful and absolutely thrilling performance. I'd say this is one of the greatest Mahler performances I have ever heard. What a concert!!!!! :) :) :) :)

Here is the review that Andrew Clements, the harshest classical reviewer on 'The Guardian', gave it:
Chailly's credentials as one of the greatest of all Mahler conductors were firmly established during his 16 years in charge of the Royal Concertgebouw in Amsterdam. In Leipzig, it seems, his readings have become more objective, less expansive than before; the first movement had a tragic intensity that never wavered, the Andante was always kept on the move, while the scherzo had an earthy robustness, fuelled by the gutty string sound and wonderfully characterful wind. Most remarkable of all was the sheer coherence and inevitability he brought to the finale, which seemed conceived in a single, all-embracing span, ending what was one of the most remarkable Mahler performances I've heard.

I completely agree with every single word! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 03, 2012, 05:02:15 AM
I'd have to say that this concert was one of the greatest I have ever been to. It really was absolutely outstanding. I really enjoyed the Messiaen, what a fascinating piece! I enjoyed it even more as I was sitting right next to the 3 tam tams!!!!! Chailly's performance of Mahler 6 was absolutely incredible. It couldn't have been more different from his recording with the RCO all those years ago. Chailly employed some of the fastest tempi I have ever heard in this symphony. It was such a powerful, passionate, beautiful and absolutely thrilling performance. I'd say this is one of the greatest Mahler performances I have ever heard. What a concert!!!!! :) :) :) :)

I totally agree with everything as well, the concert was absolutely amazing!!! I wrote a similar comment on the listening thread after the performance had finished. ;)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 03, 2012, 05:16:30 AM
I totally agree with everything as well, the concert was absolutely amazing!!! I wrote a similar comment on the listening thread after the performance had finished. ;)

Glad you enjoyed it too, Ilaria! It was such an amazing performance! :) Shall go and take a look now! ;)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Tomorrow, on BR-Klassik, via internet:

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No.9

Lorin Maazel
Münchner Philharmoniker

http://www.br.de/radio/br-klassik/programmkalender/sendung385698.html

jlaurson

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 05, 2012, 08:36:39 AM
Tomorrow, on BR-Klassik, via internet:

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No.9

Lorin Maazel
Münchner Philharmoniker

http://www.br.de/radio/br-klassik/programmkalender/sendung385698.html

I'll be there... secretly dreading it like everyone else -- but desperately hoping it'll be something good. Given that I've last heard the MPhil in M9 with Peter Ruzicka (http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2007/07/ionarts-at-large-mahler-ninth-with.html), it can only get a lot better.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: jlaurson on September 05, 2012, 08:40:24 AM
I'll be there... secretly dreading it like everyone else -- but desperately hoping it'll be something good. Given that I've last heard the MPhil in M9 with Peter Ruzicka (http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2007/07/ionarts-at-large-mahler-ninth-with.html), it can only get a lot better.

Really? You're very lucky, Jens! Yeah, I hope the performance will be great too. :)

Lisztianwagner

Tomorrow, from the BBC Proms:

Haydn
Symphony No. 104 in D major, 'London'
INTERVAL
R. Strauss
An Alpine Symphony

Bernard Haitink/Wiener Philharmoniker

bhodges

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 06, 2012, 03:30:49 PM
Tomorrow, from the BBC Proms:

Haydn
Symphony No. 104 in D major, 'London'
INTERVAL
R. Strauss
An Alpine Symphony

Bernard Haitink/Wiener Philharmoniker

These Proms concerts are coming far too thick and fast; I haven't even listened to the ones from last week yet.  :(

Meanwhile, two concerts by the terrific JACK Quartet, tomorrow and next Saturday night:

Sep. 8, Roulette
Ha-Yang Kim: Threadsuns

Sep. 15, Austrian Cultural Forum
Georg Friedrich Haas: String Quartet No. 5
Clemens Gadenstätter: häuten (Paramyth 1) (world premiere)

--Bruce

Lisztianwagner

Wednesday, on BBC Radio3:

Bartók: Hungarian Peasant Songs
Bartók: Violin Concerto No 1
Mahler: Symphony No 5

Budapest Festival Orchestra
Iván Fischer - conductor
Barnabás Kelemen - violin.