What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 28, 2012, 12:49:07 PM
Brilliant, Ilaria! I bet you are very excited! :)

My school music teachers gave me quite a substantial voucher for the Southbank Centre, meaning I can buy tickets for around 3 concerts. I have my eye on quite a few, will post them soon! :)

Quite right!! This is the first event of the season I'm going to see, I'm very very happy! And some days later I'll be able to get the ticket for Lohengrin. :)
Amazing, Daniel! Enjoy the concerts you'll choose! :)

Quote from: Brewski on October 28, 2012, 12:52:15 PM
This could be really great. I saw Stemme as the lead in Salome with the Cleveland Orchestra here last spring - my first time hearing her, and she is quite a force.

--Bruce

I saw her in Die Walkure singing Brunnhilde last year, she was absolutely wonderful!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

PaulR

On Thursday, I will be seeing the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra do Shostakovich 14th and Strauss Death and Transfiguration.  :D

North Star

Quote from: PaulR on October 30, 2012, 03:47:57 AM
On Thursday, I will be seeing the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra do Shostakovich 14th and Strauss Death and Transfiguration.  :D
:o  I'll be seeing the Shosty 14 on Thursday as well, in Oulu, with Haydn's 44th (Trauer) and Pärt's Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

bhodges

Quote from: PaulR on October 30, 2012, 03:47:57 AM

Quote from: North Star on October 30, 2012, 07:23:13 AM
:o  I'll be seeing the Shosty 14 on Thursday as well, in Oulu, with Haydn's 44th (Trauer) and Pärt's Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten.

This is so cool...the same piece - and a rather rarely done one, at that - being performed in two different places 8245 kilometres (5123 miles) apart.

--Bruce

PaulR

Quote from: North Star on October 30, 2012, 07:23:13 AM
Seems you have the more interesting program though.  hope we both enjoy it!

North Star

Quote from: PaulR on October 30, 2012, 05:29:53 PM
Seems you have the more interesting program though.  hope we both enjoy it!
Can't disagree on that. The concert programs are usually very well designed here, and there isn't too much relying on warhorses (with the exception of Tchaikovsky's violin concerto ad nauseam - twice in two seasons)

Yes, indeed!

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

After several years with no suitable (or affordable) room or hall for concerts, during which time the recitals took place in the living room of a private home, the Chopin Society of Rheinland-Pfalz once again has access to the music room in the baroque Herrnsheimer Schloss (palace) owned by our local aristocracy, the Heyls. Last night Anastasia Belan, winner of several competitions (Gasteig in Munich, Rubinstein in Poland, Calabria in Italy) played Schumann, Czerny, Liszt and Chopin:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 28, 2012, 12:43:46 PM
Next Sunday in Milan, Teatro alla Scala:

Richard Wagner
Siegfried

Siegfried  Lance Ryan
Mime  Peter Bronder
Der Wanderer  Terje Stensvold
Alberich  Johannes Martin Kränzle
Fafner  Alexander Tsymbalyuk
Erda  Anna Larsson
Brünnhilde  Nina Stemme
Stimme des Waldvogels  Rinnat Moriah

Conductor: Daniel Bareboim

I've been waiting for this opera for weeks, really keen to see it!! :D

Just come back from Milan; Barenboim's performance was absolutely beautiful, I extremely enjoyed it!! So, so happy!! :D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

DavidW

Had a five minute walk from my apartment to a free recital.  Here are the details:

Richard Thomas played the cello, Jun Matsuo the piano.  They are both faculty at the local college here (Coker College).  They performed you guessed it music for cello and piano!  The theme was that in each piece the cellist the composer wrote for and was first performed by are one and the same.

Boccherini's Sonata No. 6 in A Major (1772) this is the first great cello sonata and it was played warmly.

Brahms' Sonata No. 1 in E minor, Op. 38 (1865) this piece starts with a dark, autumnal quality that gives way to a lovely waltz and a dash of Bach.

Piazzola's Le Grand Tango (1982) tango meets classical, this piece is sumptuous, melodic, passionate, it is by far the highlight of the recital! 8)

Popper's Tarantella, Op. 33 (1880) this was a fun, light, very classical (despite it's time) sounding piece, and a nice way to finish the evening.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

It's a good thing I just bought tickets to this one, as it's almost sold out. Coming up in December:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Vasily Petrenko, conductor
Robert Chen, violin

Elgar: Cockaigne
Barber: Violin Concerto
Shostakovich: Symphony #10

Petrenko's disc of DSCH 10 got raves, so I'm really looking forward to this one. Also, bought seats behind the orchestra, so I'll get the full force of brass and percussion!
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

KeithW

Escaping power and petrol shortages in the NE with a few days in Philadelphia.  heading off now to the Philadelhia Orchestra and their Stokowski Legacy series.  Franck, Poulenc and Bach.

http://www.philorch.org/concert/stokowski-legacy?date=2012-11-08_20-00

North Star

This afternoon, a free chamber music concert:

Some conservatory students and a cellist from the local symphony orchestra in the Schubert:

Brahms: 4 Serious songs, transcribed for bass trombone & piano
Prokofiev: Sonata for Cello & Piano
---
Schubert: String Quintet

Excellent program, and the pianist and cellist for the Prokofiev were top notch. In the quintet, the second violinist was out of tune at times, and messed up passages. Other than that, very nice.

My photographs on Flickr

bhodges

Tonight at Carnegie:

The Cleveland Orchestra
Franz Welser-Möst, Music Director and Conductor
Michael Sachs, Trumpet
Jack Sutte, Trumpet

Beethoven: Symphony No. 4
Matthias Pintscher: Chute d'Étoiles for Two Trumpets and Orchestra (NY Premiere)
Beethoven: Grosse Fuge, Op. 133
Scriabin: The Poem of Ecstasy

--Bruce

jlaurson

Tonight, Munich

Munich Radio Orchestra /
Oscar Strasnoy: "Le Bal"
for six voices and orchestra (said to be very good, indeed, and cleverly staged)
Gaetano Donizetti: "I pazzi per progetto"
Farce in on act
(Strasnoy said to be very clever)

Thursday, November 15th, Munich
Munich Phil:
Wagner, Debussy, Stravinsky
(yawn)

Friday, November 16th, Munich
BRSO: Beethoven, Prenderecki
Jansons, Jansen, Rachlin

Saturday, November 17th, Frankfurt Opera
Charbrier, L'Etoile

Sunday, November 18th, Frankfurt Opera
Debussy, Pelleas & Melisande (w/Gerhaher)

Monday November 19th,
Frankfurt Museum (=Opera) Orchestra
Mahler 3rd

pjme

Amsterdam/Concertgebouw : January 12th

Jaap Van Zweden / Dutch Radio Phil. /Tetzlav

Brahms - Vioolconcert in D, op. 77
J.S. Bach/Webern - Ricercata
K.A. Hartmann - Seventh symfony!!!!

I'll be there!

Peter

North Star

Tomorrow in Oulu, the warhorses ride yet again!

Anna-Maria Helsing & Oulu Symphony
Valeria Resjan, piano

Rachmaninoff: 2nd PC
Tchaikovsky: 5th

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

Perhaps off-topic but I'm seeing Ian Andersson with band doing Thick as a Brick part I & II in a couple of weeks. I've had (and admired) the original part I on LP since it was released, and never seen Tull live, so I'm really excited about this.

bhodges

Tonight at Avery Fisher Hall:

Esa-Pekka Salonen, conductor
Philharmonia Orchestra

Berg: Wozzeck (concert performance)

Tomorrow night at the Guggenheim Museum:

Salvatore Sciarrino: Il Cerchio Tagliato dei Suoni for 104 flutes (U.S. premiere)

--Bruce

PaulSC

Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

bhodges

Quote from: PaulSC on November 19, 2012, 10:32:20 AM
That's a lot of flutes!

;D They must have drafted everyone in town. The piece has four soloists, and the other 100 players migrate around the room. (It's going to be performed in the Guggenheim's rotunda.)

--Bruce